HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs trade 2nd rounder (2011) for Dominic Moore Part II

Old
02-13-2010, 07:57 PM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skar67 View Post
Problem with Brock Trotter or Ryan White is not that they don't have talent .. the problem is, can they perform playing on a 3rd-4th line.

You guys are stuck to our 2nd round pick like if we are gonna draft another PK Subban on the 2011 draft .. I mean come on, it's in 2 draft. We have all the time in the world to get back that 2nd rounder (or better..).

Moore is way more helpful than our 2nd round pick right now, face it ..

But I know i'm arguing in a board where people think that prospects and Picks are going to make it to the NHL everytime ..
Your forgetting that Ponikarovsky could have been gotten for a 2nd rounder ish.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Your forgetting that Ponikarovsky could have been gotten for a 2nd rounder ish.
You said the same thing for matt cullen .. he went for a 2010 2ND ROUNDER + Alex Picard .., and cullen is making 2,8 mil

Poni is making 2,1, + he's having 41 pts this year .. NO WAY he's going for a 2nd rounder .. ahah

Dude, your basing your facts with rumors .. Poni will never go for a 2nd because Burke will get shot on open street ..

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:

But I know i'm arguing in a board where people think that prospects and Picks are going to make it to the NHL everytime ..
Francis Bouillion would be more helpful than 5 1st rounders....does that mean it's a good trade? Just exagerating so you'd get my point. We can say that for every trade possible. So you could never judge if a trade is paid too much since a pick will never play soon while the player would?

Funnily enough, we keep saying that a young player that plays sooner than another, it doesn't necessarily mean that the draft pick ends up a better one. At least, that's what I'm told on this board.

Then, yes you are arguing in a board where people beleives in draft picks. Guess what.....we also keep hearing how this drafting team is one of the best for recognizing NHL talent. And it's true. Then, history says that chances are sooner you draft, better the player will be. Yes, there are exceptions. Still, that's usually how it will end up.

Then, there's the idea that if you had to trade a top pick, how about using it for players, or type of players you actually need on this team. I guess some will believe that Dominic Moore was EXACTLY the ingredient missing on this team.....Sorry, I won't buy that. I'd believe in adding more size and grit. We believe in adding another guy who looks like a midget. And who was the first one to got the boot after his GM said that some players were not bringing it in a consistant basis.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Problem with Brock Trotter or Ryan White is not that they don't have talent .. the problem is, can they perform playing on a 3rd-4th line.

You guys are stuck to our 2nd round pick like if we are gonna draft another PK Subban on the 2011 draft .. I mean come on, it's in 2 draft. We have all the time in the world to get back that 2nd rounder (or better..).

What makes you say this? Why do you think Dominic Moore is that good?
Quote:
That pick has value. It doesn't make sense to chuck it away on a guy like Moore. Yes, the pick might not have panned out but we've drafted really well. I just don't see why we would do this for a guy who is the kind of guy that you can find on waivers. A 2nd rounder should get better than Dominic Moore.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Kenny Powders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Francis Bouillion would be more helpful than 5 1st rounders....does that mean it's a good trade? Just exagerating so you'd get my point. We can say that for every trade possible. So you could never judge if a trade is paid too much since a pick will never play soon while the player would?

Funnily enough, we keep saying that a young player that plays sooner than another, it doesn't necessarily mean that the draft pick ends up a better one. At least, that's what I'm told on this board.

Then, yes you are arguing in a board where people beleives in draft picks. Guess what.....we also keep hearing how this drafting team is one of the best for recognizing NHL talent. And it's true. Then, history says that chances are sooner you draft, better the player will be. Yes, there are exceptions. Still, that's usually how it will end up.

Then, there's the idea that if you had to trade a top pick, how about using it for players, or type of players you actually need on this team. I guess some will believe that Dominic Moore was EXACTLY the ingredient missing on this team.....Sorry, I won't buy that. I'd believe in adding more size and grit. We believe in adding another guy who looks like a midget. And who was the first one to got the boot after his GM said that some players were not bringing it in a consistant basis.
I'm not saying Moore is the player we needed, I'm just defending the trade.

You guys act like if we losed the 2nd round pick for ever .. I bet were gonna have 2 2nd rounder next year to even-up with this trade ..

Gauthier did a trade, that didnt affect us long-term in the cap, and short term too, while not giving assets we had in the minors/habs. I think it's a real good trade. But hey, with half our lineup down, it's not dominic moore who will win us games ..

Gauthier added a body, so we didnt had to call up an Hamilton player.

It's not the best trade, but it isn't the worst trade like you guys are saying.

Kenny Powders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

You guys act like if we losed the 2nd round pick for ever .. I bet were gonna have 2 2nd rounder next year to even-up with this trade ..

Gauthier did a trade, that didnt affect us long-term in the cap, and short term too, while not giving assets we had in the minors/habs. I think it's a real good trade. But hey, with half our lineup down, it's not dominic moore who will win us games ..

It's not the 'worst trade' I agree. That doesn't make it good.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 08:41 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
It's not the 'worst trade' I agree. That doesn't make it good.
Problem with the deal is that Moore is another averaged sized player. The most pressing needs for this team is 5/5 scoring, size down the middle, mobile defenceman. Personally, I'd either give up a bit more to get a guy like Cullen who would help 2 of those needs or stand pat. Grabbing Moore, a UFA, is a sideways move at best.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:27 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
The thing some people here don't understand is that Gauthier had his hand tied ..

We needed a body for the 2 game this weekend, Moore was the guy with the lesser cap hit and a good faceoff guy that can play on the PK.

Who would have taken Moore spot if we didn't had him? the 2nd rounder? D'agostini?

I prefer having Moore than D'ago in the 3rd line ..

You guys have to see further than the pick itself .. I'm sure Gauthier will get that pick back, just relax, and let the flow go ..
Are you kidding me? How can you articulate a philosophy that sacrifices one 2nd rounder each "important weekend" for a rental player?

And what makes you sure Gauthier will get this pick back? He won't, if another "important weekend" comes along. And guess what? There will be many more important weekends.

The GM's job is to manage the assets of the franchise for the short-, medium- AND long-term. ALL of them. Not only the long-term, and not only the short-term.

Your argument is the worst argument justifying the trade I have heard so far. If we needed an NHL body, we could have picked up Sykora on waivers

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:33 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
But that's the thing, the pick is in NEXT year's draft. NOT this year's...there's alot of time between now and then to recoup that pick don't you think? Do you really think it's unreasonable to think Gauthier might be able to get that pick back someway/somehow before June 2011?
No problem, I call the bluff. Move Mara right now for the best pick possible. We don't need him. Then at least someone can argue that Moore filled a need that Mara didn't. But picking up scraps for 2nd rounders better not become a habit!

BaseballCoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Miller Time

Quote:

where or how do you think we are going to get those picks?

some other team just going to give them to us out of the kindness of their heart?

it's assets, and it's how a team manages them. this was (yet again) a bad decision as far as managing the assets that we have. impossible to build a consistent top level team without making the best of your assets and not getting rid of them carelessly.

this trade was useless, and while a 2nd round pick certainly isn't the end of the world, it just as certainly isn't nothing.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Bullsmith

Thank goodness we made this trade. Without Moore we could fall into a lottery position if things continue to got bad. With him in the lineup, 9th or 10th place is a much safer bet. WTF is Gauthier doing giving a 2nd round pick for a guy who couldn't get a job at the start of the year and pretty much sucked his way to the bottom of Florida's lineup when he finally did.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:44 AM
CanadienErrant*

Gauthier is the laughingstock thru the whole NHL and medias covering it right now because he gave that much for a center averaging about 15 points a season (excluding his season in TO...).

What the other GM'S are gonna do from now on when they will talk about a trade with Gauthier ?

Bad move = bad impression

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 10:48 AM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
Gauthier is the laughingstock thru the whole NHL and medias covering it right now because he gave that much for a center averaging about 15 points a season (excluding his season in TO...).

What the other GM'S are gonna do from now on when they will talk about a trade with Gauthier ?

Bad move = bad impression
I see a few sharks calling seeing if they cant swindle off some players

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Hopefully Gauthier figures out a way to re-acquire this draft pick...but as of today...

It was a small price to pay

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Off to nuke some crow for myself.

Hockey, when you get down to its core, is about memories. Dominic Moore just gave me one I'll remember for a long time.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:28 PM
JayBee*

please look for my post...I liked the trade initially and still do!!!

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
cedouimet

vCash: 1040
i said the samething after his goal...he was fking worth the 2nd round pick!

cedouimet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:29 PM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Oh me? No thanks, I'm not in the mood for crow today.

Actually, I loved acquiring Moore from the start, despite it costing a 2nd round pick.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:31 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The second Moore scored, I knew this thread would get bumped tonight. Well worth the second rounder.

Is this the year... a whole lot of people eat crow?

Halak, Moore, BG's aquisitions, the Habs as a whole...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
walsy37

All is forgiven.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Garry Valk

Well. That was worth it.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
1UP

Happy to see I defended that trade ^_^

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:22 PM
Turboflex*

that 2nd round draft pick would've been sniping top corner the whole series.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

In hindsight I was wrong, this turned out to be a great deadline type pick up. I really hope he re signs. Moore's a pretty damn good 3rd liner.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:27 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

It's always wise to give a new player time to prove his worth before criticizing.

Maybe we should bump the Gill and Gomez threads too.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote