HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ALL JERSEY TALK HERE - Who cares if it's real or fake?

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2010, 08:12 PM
Jeffler
Shut Up Jeffler

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
Back in the days before Reebok Edge when CCM and KOHO were not swallowed up there was a consistency with the jerseys and the replicas and authentics were pretty much the same within their class and not even that much crossing over between the two types. The costs were not nearly as much and the upgrade was not nearly as steep. The sports outlets such as Modells and Sports Autority had nice sales and their base casts weren't even so high... and the Flyers shops were not even gouging quite as much. The numbering I believe were uniform size and were double layered and there were no iron ons and no plastic type lettering and numbering. There were no crooked nor bubbled or warped numbers from rush mass production at the Arena store shop.

... And there was not also one other thing... I don't recall all these bootlegged jerseys in the stands nor in the flea markets and on the Web.

Simply put there was no need and therefore no market... ergo there was no problem. People had as many jerseys as they wanted and everyone a authorized manufactured one. People didn't need to go after affordable knock-offs... And the official ones were of better quality and you knew you were getting a decent one at the stores... And most people didn't know if it was an Authentic or a Replica; the strap was the tell-tail thing.

Reebok changed all this and opened the market for the success of black market... IMO, the NHL made their own bed and now must sleep in it, or do what the Habs are doing... Hoping that people don't buy the fakes to turn in to reduce the price of the real ones.
This isn't entirely true. While the market for them is dead now, there were and somewhat still are CCM fakes on the market.

Old
04-25-2010, 08:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Maybe it is because it is an Orange Home jersey with a WC patch... rather than a white retro like the one worn on 1/1/10.

I wouldn't trust that site with my money, no matter how cheap.
If you use paypal you're fine. I got 2 other ones from them and am happy with them.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:39 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
This isn't entirely true. While the market for them is dead now, there were and somewhat still are CCM fakes on the market.
Okay, let me put it this way; people have always gone for bargains, but the need was not as much for seeking the out, and people also were not really aware that they were fakes. IMO, back a few years often the bargains out there were thought to be overstocks and such. Even with the low prices back then, the mark up was great.

It was not unusual to buy a CCM/KOHO Recchi Flyers jersy for about $70.00 or so as a Christmas gift... Even at the Wachovia shop it was not unusual to buy one for a little over a $100.00 with a coupon -- and I'm not talking end of season or traded player clearance -- While inflation has to be taken into account, it is not that much a factor.

I never had nor thought of bootleg jerseys in the CCM/KOHO Era... Now a $200.00 replica with small and single ply numbers/lettering, and at times bubbled or warped iron ons does not suit me. Even when they are half priced or BOGOs, And forget Authentics there. I won't pay that cost even if I can afford to do so. 'Good' fakes are worth it, and at times much better than the Wachovia badly produced ones at such a high price.

Yes there were some fake CCM/KOHOs... but nowhere near as many, and they were most times sold as the real deal without the wink, wink, nudge, nudge. Anyway, that is my take on this.

Old
04-26-2010, 12:44 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If you use paypal you're fine. I got 2 other ones from them and am happy with them.
I'd never go any other way but PayPal in these type transactions... I have to be safe with my CC... I was going by the WC patch on an orange jersey; if you had good results with your others, then by all means trust them... I just find the Orange WC to show that they may not do their homework well in copying. But I suppose everybody has a bad day.

Personally I'd rather pay a bit more at a flea market and see and feel and try on the jersey... But that is just me.

EDIT: I do understand however that it would be harder to buy at flea markets outside the area of the team you follow... except for the major stars -- in Philly anyway... T.O. may be easier, I suppose, with the major hockey following there.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 04-26-2010 at 01:00 AM.
Old
04-26-2010, 07:06 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
I'd never go any other way but PayPal in these type transactions... I have to be safe with my CC... I was going by the WC patch on an orange jersey; if you had good results with your others, then by all means trust them... I just find the Orange WC to show that they may not do their homework well in copying. But I suppose everybody has a bad day.

Personally I'd rather pay a bit more at a flea market and see and feel and try on the jersey... But that is just me.

EDIT: I do understand however that it would be harder to buy at flea markets outside the area of the team you follow... except for the major stars -- in Philly anyway... T.O. may be easier, I suppose, with the major hockey following there.
Not really, everything here is sadly Laffs, Laffs and Laffs. They have other jerseys but in my case, I would need either a 46 or 48 and that makes it even more difficult so I would have to buy from a legit place like River City Sports or something similar.

Old
04-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse Flying V View Post
That is very true, as I have faded memories of plenty of "huh?" jerseys in the past. Not only were there fakes, but they were a lot more recognizable -- fonts that weren't even close, single-color numbers/letters when the team used two-colors, etc.
But there were fewer incentives to buy a fake back then before Reebok's prices went crazy through the roof (see below).
Maybe if jersey prices followed ticket prices, I'd be more inclined to buy from a full-price outlet. That would make a customized Edge about $200-$225. I can't even guess what a Premier should be, as it's more a replica (thanks, jock tag) than a semi-pro. Maybe $100-$125 tops?
My wife recently bought me a no-jock tag jersey from a discount retailer. We spent the savings on groceries for the family, a tank of gas, a cheap day out with the kids, our weekly church envelope, and a donation to a charity. I am very happy with the jersey, and very happy with where the rest of the money went.

2009-10
Flyers upper level ticket, first 7 rows, face value: $63 (price went up 14.5%)
Average Premier: $180 (price went up 46.3% compared to maximum CCM 550 Semi-Pro prices)
Average Edge: $362 (price went up 66.1% compared to maximum Pro prices)

2002-03
Flyers upper level ticket, first 7 rows, face value: $55
Average Semi-Pro: $123
Average Pro: $218
--------------------------------------------------
2009-10
Jersey Express Premier, customized: $185; IceJerseys Premier, customized: $193; SportsK Premier, customized: $155; River City Sports Premier, customized: $180; Fans Edge Premier, customized: $189

Jersey Express Edge, customized: $370; IceJerseys Edge, customized: $368; SportsK Edge, customized: $355; River City Sports Edge, customized: $350; Fans Edge Edge, customized: $365 (could not find customized Edge jerseys, so took the price for Premier customization and added to $300 cost of blank)
2002-03
Yonge Sports Semi-Pro, customized: $120; Niagara Sportswear Semi-Pro, customized: $137*; Royal Sports Semi-Pro, customized: $111*; City Sports Lettering Semi-Pro, customized: $105; River City Sports Semi-Pro, customized: $142*

Yonge Sports Pro, customized: $210; Niagara Sportswear Pro, customized: $198*; Royal Sports Pro, customized: $214*; City Sports Lettering Pro, customized: $199; River City Sports Pro, customized: $270*
* = Maximum cost from range of prices given by outlet for CCM, Koho, Starter or Pro Player jerseys and their customization, as published in The Hockey News 2002-03 Yearbook. Flyers jerseys and their customization were usually less than the max priceI used (Max was usually for the Preds or Bolts).
NOTE: This season's prices are from web listings and are specific to Flyers jerseys, meaning the inflation on the jerseys is understated due to lack of specific numbers from 2002.
ALSO: For the old CCMs, I did not compile replica jerseys, as they were the least expensive ones offered. They usually had non-sewn customization as well.

Old
04-26-2010, 01:08 PM
flountown

I understand that prices went up, but deals can still be had. A great example is the WC jerseys. You can get them super cheap right now in a lot of places, and they are not a Premier Edge cut, so the material feels stronger and hardier.

They will hold up far better than any knock-off and can now be had fro about the same price on discount at a few Dick's Sporting Goods.

Old
04-26-2010, 01:27 PM
sectachrome

The CCM jerseys were miles ahead of the RBK Edge jerseys in terms of quality. They used nice thick mesh and proper number/lettering, not this paper thin cheap BS that RBK is getting away with. I have 3 CCM jerseys, and my one RBK Flyers jersey I have is obviously crappier.

Old
04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

I want to buy the Richards WC jersey, but the worry I have is the quality of the Numbers/Lettering on the back of the jersey.

I've bought some jerseys (soccer-ebay) that have iron on stickers, which if you wash once they fall off and look ridiculous. So can you wash the fake jersey without fear of it turning to crap?

Old
04-26-2010, 03:31 PM
sectachrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
I want to buy the Richards WC jersey, but the worry I have is the quality of the Numbers/Lettering on the back of the jersey.

I've bought some jerseys (soccer-ebay) that have iron on stickers, which if you wash once they fall off and look ridiculous. So can you wash the fake jersey without fear of it turning to crap?
I havent washed mine, but I think it would be fine. The numbers arent iron on. They are 1 layer of twill (or some plasticky crappy version of twill) that is sewn on. The second layer for the different color is the part thats screened on.

edit: This is if youre talking about a Reebok Replica jersey. If youre getting some bootleg then I have no idea.

Old
04-26-2010, 03:33 PM
PHLflyers10

Not sure if this was posted:

Quote:
Fans will also receive fifty percent off the purchase of Flyers black, white, and Winter Classic jerseys.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=35835

Old
04-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
That is very true, as I have faded memories of plenty of "huh?" jerseys in the past. Not only were there fakes, but they were a lot more recognizable -- fonts that weren't even close, single-color numbers/letters when the team used two-colors, etc. .... (snipped)....
I forgot about those god-awful ones with the wrong colors or screened on crap... I was more speaking about there not being many knock-offs that were actually copies of the official ones... But, yes there were some back in the day.

I totally agree with the snipped portion about less incentive to buy fakes.

Old
04-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I understand that prices went up, but deals can still be had. A great example is the WC jerseys. You can get them super cheap right now in a lot of places, and they are not a Premier Edge cut, so the material feels stronger and hardier.

They will hold up far better than any knock-off and can now be had fro about the same price on discount at a few Dick's Sporting Goods.
I just returned from the Deptford Modells with my new WC Pronger... They were great and gave me exceptional service. I went there yesterday for the 50% sale and found zero WC jerseys. I asked if they could find out if another location had any. One lady went on the computer and another called random locations. The computer found one but the phone call found one that could be delivered to Deptford the next day by an employee that was coming there from the Mt. Laurel store and would bring it. They called today and said to come and get it... GREAT SERVICE - KUDOS TO MODELLS

The jersey is sweet with the numbers spilling a bit over into the white in the sleeve almost like the Flyers ones... just not quite as much a spillover; just a tad over which is fine. The full cost is 25% below the Wachovia shop's price for a non-WC ($150.00) so the half off cost was $75.00 and no tax. That is short of double the knock off price but is returnable if a problem and Modells backs up their merchandise... And a half off Wachovia non-WC jersey comes to $100.00 or so. I think the WC go for about $225.00 so my $75.00 bargain is actually a third (1/3) of their cost... or two-thirds off. And the quality with double ply numbers and letters is great. One thing though is that they are ironed on, but then again so is the Wachovia ones... and the iron on is done well, the Wachovia's aren't always good. The SkateZone quality is much better and are sewn on.

... Now the question is if I spring the $5.00 to add an 'A' at the Center... Did Pronger wear an 'A' at the Winter Classic? I can't remember who wore the letters.

Old
04-26-2010, 06:32 PM
flountown

Quote:

... Now the question is if I spring the $5.00 to add an 'A' at the Center... Did Pronger wear an 'A' at the Winter Classic? I can't remember who wore the letters.
SURVEY SAYS...YES!

And I also believe Carter wore the other A for this one.

Old
04-26-2010, 06:51 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
SURVEY SAYS...YES!

And I also believe Carter wore the other A for this one.
Great, Fountown

I really wanted to have that letter on there... but I also wanted keep it honest. I never like to have jerseys not be consistent with the way it was. Every time I see one of those retro reddish-orange vintage jerseys at the Wach with the number 27 and Hextall on the back I cringe... Pelle's Rookie season was the last year that that was worn, IIRC; that would mean Hexy came a few years later. I have no idea why they make and sell them -- other than to make money, of course.

Saturday I saw a guy in Lambertville sporting a sweet Clarke #16 WC jersey... which is technically fine since Clarkie wore one for the ceremonial puck drop with Orr.

... So the first home game of the second round will find me getting my 'A' put on.

Old
04-28-2010, 12:22 PM
mrmahon

WOO-HOO!!!! My wife just told me the package from ECSeller arrived today, I can't wait to get home and check them out (and hope that I got the right sizes) That was fast for shipping, i ordered them 04/22/10

Old
04-29-2010, 07:22 AM
mrmahon

Ok, I wanted to post this as these are the questions I had. I just received a home Steve Yzerman and a home Stamkos jersey from ECSeller. They both look fantastic! I am 5'10" 180lbs and got a size 50. A perfect fit for me, and they are quite similar to my Lightning and Red Wings size large jerseys I already own. Highly recommended. However, I got a Michael Jordan NBA jersey too, not as impressed with this one..... a size 50 is too small, and the craftsmenship isn't as nice. But I'll be going back for a Zetterberg jersey I feel!

Old
05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

The only problems with the knock offs, is that the flyers crest is embroidered or the letters are round in the R. If there was one site that offered authentic crests i'd prolly fill my closet with Flyers jerseys.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:01 AM
ScarletSpeedstr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmahon View Post
I just received...a home Stamkos jersey from ECSeller. They both look fantastic!
I have a Lightning jersey from there as well, it is pretty nice. I also have an orange Richards that doesn't fit me though (50). If anyone is interested PM me.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

I'm ordering a Bradford jersey from ECseller.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
05-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLflyers10 View Post
Is this at the Wachovia center or what? Id definately get an authentic if they are 50% off.

Old
05-09-2010, 10:01 PM
flountown

I AM SO EXCITED, this bad boy will be in the mail to me shortly!!!

To edookatez: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macon_Whoopee

Old
05-10-2010, 09:01 AM
pelts35.com

For me MeiGray is the place. Wait for one of their semi-annual 50% off sales and you can get a game-worn or game-issued jersey for under $300.

Old
05-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

At Game Three I took my Pronger WC jersey to the Wachovia Atrium shop where they personalize and sell jerseys... They said they could add my 'A' for $5.00 while I waited. Then they talked it over and looked around and came back saying they did not have the 'A' that was made for the Winter Classics... The Road White letters are Black, the WC IIRC are Orange in Black. I was crushed. I'll check back Wednesday, but I don't think that they will have got them in by then... if they even though to get them after I asked. I suppose that I can take it to the SkateZone in Voorhees and have them sew one on for probably a higher cost... if they even have them... But that would mean I would have to leave it for a while. So that would be in the offseason, whenever that begins; hopefully not for some time.

While at the Wachovia shop a guy and his wife were getting two WC jerseys made up for 150.00 each -- twice what I paid for my Pronger at Modells -- I later saw them wearing them and they were BOTH #49 Leightons... I mention to my son that it was a huge gamble since he may not be re-signed... He wisely pointed out to me that he was the WC goalie, therefore a keepsake item. That made a lot of sense... and after tonight and Boucher injury, Leighton may be around for a bit longer. They can wear the jerseys Wednesday when he is in goal.

Old
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM
Shady McCoy
#NoHonorForConnor

Buying a Leighton jersey is just a dumb financial decision.

Closed Thread