HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doan practices Monday with team.

Old
04-26-2010, 06:07 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

vCash: 500
Doan practices Monday with team.

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=527138

Worked out about an hour with the team.

Looks like he's getting there, but it'll still be up to the staff whether he goes in game 7 or not.

TheLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:23 PM
kingbrutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=527138

Worked out about an hour with the team.

Looks like he's getting there, but it'll still be up to the staff whether he goes in game 7 or not.

He has to play. Game 7 son.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 06:34 PM
CitizenCoyote

If you get a chance to listen, Todd Walsh has pressers of both Tippett and Doan after today's practice. Pretty good stuff.

It's pretty clear that Tippett is the boss here, and that emotion will play no role. I'm sure on some level he understands the significance to the team if Doan can go, but he made pretty clear that "no player is bigger than team," or words to that effect, and that he has no interest in putting anything less than a fully functional Doan on the ice. And he defined "functional" as physical. Tippett sounds like he doesn't have a sentimental bone in his body, which is exactly what we need. He's not Bill Belichick or anything -- he's more warm than that -- but he's in that ballpark. Doan, for his part, is saying all the right things, but also said he was able to do pretty much everything during practice. It's really hard for me to believe that Doan was not well enough to go in an elimination game on Sunday, but somehow he will be ready now 48 hours later. Nevertheless, trying to read between the lines in these press conferences, it certainly sounds more positive than I expected. Good listens -- lots of stuff about what it means to play in a game 7. Sounds like it's a lot more fun for the players than the fans!

http://twitter.com/walshtodd

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:01 AM
LT

I have to say that I have a ton of respect for Dave Tippett and the way he handles the media. Sometimes they ask what you might call silly or stupid questions, yet he handles them with class, doesn't belittle the reporter just answers it with a smile. I love to see that rather than someone like the arse in New York.

Doaner is my ultimate player. I watched his first game ever and I 've seen him grow. It really sucks that when it comes to this point in the year that he has to miss the games he played so hard to get to. Unfortunatley that's the way life works sometimes for many of us. My gutt tells me he's gonna play tonight but only Tippett and the trainers know where Doan is at. Not that I like this but they can always shoot him up with something that will dull the pain for the game. There is one point though, and I bet this is what Tip is thinking about...what if they go on? They will need Shane Doan even more in the next series so even though this is do or die, I would hate to see him play this game and not be able to play again in the playoffs if they advance. I would rather he sit and let the healthy players go all out. It's so hard because it could go either way and even myself I'm on the fence on this one.

Good luck Doaner!

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 10:51 AM
MP

If it were as simple as taking the needle, we would've seen Doan back by now. Tippett has always said it's a functional issue, not a mental one. It's more likely that Doan simply wouldn't have been able to shoot or stickhandle effectively even if they could manage the inflammation.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Finkadia

Quote:
If it were as simple as taking the needle, we would've seen Doan back by now. Tippett has always said it's a functional issue, not a mental one. It's more likely that Doan simply wouldn't have been able to shoot or stickhandle effectively even if they could manage the inflammation.
Maloney was saying on the radio this morning that in hockey its more complicated than a needle for pain, there is a strength factor coupled with the possibility of doing more damage that they have to look out for.

Finkadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:44 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkadia View Post
Maloney was saying on the radio this morning that in hockey its more complicated than a needle for pain, there is a strength factor coupled with the possibility of doing more damage that they have to look out for.
He must be really injured if strength is an issue for Doaner.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 02:54 PM
Mike92

It wouldn't surprise me if it was a previous injury he aggravated either. Could be another reason they're being so careful with it. He seemed to know what it was an how bad when he left the ice, and we know he's been hurt for stretches this year.

Mike92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 03:22 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

The practice clips suggest he can stickhandle and shoot fine, but it must be when he's giving or taking checks that problems could arise. That's obviously a big part of his game, and you can bet they'll be going after him too.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Rabbit
Captain Cook

per Bob Mckenzie's Twitter:
Quote:
On Doan, word is he has been told by Coyotes coaching staff he will NOT play tonight. Worked hard in practice yesterday to convince them.
Quote:
Don't expect to see Doan tonight but it is playoffs so until lineup is filed, u never know. That said, 99.9 per cent sure he is a NO go.
Quote:
Coyotes have been playing 11 F's and 7 D. Want to maintain that. If Doan goes in and can't finish, 10 F's is unacceptable risk.

Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 07:22 PM
MP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbit3119 View Post
per Bob Mckenzie's Twitter:
Ouch. It's been over a week since he was hurt. Tippett said at one point that "he knows it's not long-term," but it's sure starting to look that way. If he's not back for tonight, it makes me wonder if we'll see him again in these playoffs, assuming we advance.

MP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:21 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

Doan with a grade 3 separated shoulder really had no chance to play in any game.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Doan has a grade 3 shoulder seperation.

3-4 week recovery usually.

edit: whoops got beat. well that doesn't really surprise me. Suspicions confirmed. How disheartening. And a damn, damn shame for a guy like Shane. Why? Just why?

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2010, 11:53 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Heard Tippett say that in his press conference after the game. Gotta feel really feel bad for Doan, couldn't have asked for worse timing.

mouser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Well as many though, it was more serious than day to day. That sucks so bad for Doaner. Still I have to believe he'll come to training camp next year in phenomenal shape and highly motivated! For the first time in years, he's part of a team that will be EXPECTED to make the playoffs next year and do some damage there. Doaner has always been a gamer but for the first time in a long time, he has a genuine reason to be optimistic for next season!!!!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 08:49 PM
TGOTC
Yer a wizard Oliver

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...red-wings.html

This Confirms what many people suspected that Doan played the last two months of the season with a rib injury.

TGOTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:08 AM
gemini617az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Doan has a grade 3 shoulder seperation.

3-4 week recovery usually.

edit: whoops got beat. well that doesn't really surprise me. Suspicions confirmed. How disheartening. And a damn, damn shame for a guy like Shane. Why? Just why?
It is just sad that such a wonderful person had such a garbage thing happen!

I agree 'why'? I have theories but I'll reserve from stating them ............

gemini617az is offline   Reply With Quote