HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WSH/MIN Belanger for a 2nd Rounder...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-08-2010, 02:32 PM
  #26
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
Really been impressed with Sheppard lately. He's still way too tentative with the puck, but he's improved his defensive game two-fold since he last got regular playing time.

I'll never forgive JL and Risebrough for throwing Shep into the fire so early and playing him with such awful linemates. Any idiot could have seen he needed more time before he got to the show.

That said, I'm not ready to give up on him offensively. I think, with some patience, he could potentially center the 2nd line for us. He's got great vision and he's pretty good at keeping his head up. His hands just went to hell. He was never this poor at receiving passes and stickhandling in juniors or even as he first came up. His confidence was just so gone, I think it's slowly coming back, however.

Regardless, I still think we should try to work a trade involving Harding and David Bolland from Chicago. I absolutely love that guy and the way he plays. I think he'd be tremendous in between Latendresse and Havlat. We'd probably have to give up Harding and some sort of pick or prospect (Noreau?), but I think it's worth it. $3.375M cap hit thru 13/14 with Bolland.. great contract.
Well, I think that Chicago is the most likely of trade partners for us, and I remember hearing that we were pushing hard for Sharp at the deadline, but obviously, Chicago didn't want to lose him for their Cup run.

Either way, we need to find a center to play between Havlat and Latendresse that's not Brodziak or Ebbett. I give them credit, but they just aren't going to be the game-breaking center that we need. Maybe we can find one at the draft via trade this year since I think this year's FA class isn't a very attractive one.

Koivu will definitely need some new wingers. I agree, Bruno is fine on a line with Koivu, but I think they really need a winger that can finish. I don't know who it would be, or what we could trade to get one, but either way the 2nd rounder we got for the Belanger trade could be used to spice up a deal for a winger or centerman so I'm really liking the trade the more that I think about it.

This leads me to this question then, what do we need more? A scoring winger for Koivu's line or a center for Havlat and Latendresse? I can hope we can somehow solve both of these problems this offseason, but I don't find that likely. Obviously drafting well in the upcoming drafts will go a long ways to having worry about scoring, but elite talent isn't easy to come by. Hopefully Fletcher can pull something off that will solve both problems, but it looks like we will be picking about #10 in this draft.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
  #27
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post

This leads me to this question then, what do we need more? A scoring winger for Koivu's line or a center for Havlat and Latendresse? I can hope we can somehow solve both of these problems this offseason, but I don't find that likely. Obviously drafting well in the upcoming drafts will go a long ways to having worry about scoring, but elite talent isn't easy to come by. Hopefully Fletcher can pull something off that will solve both problems, but it looks like we will be picking about #10 in this draft.
If Butch just got better, he could certainly fill that 2nd line center role pretty well. Or you could put him in Havlat's place and move Havlat along side Koivu. He could be a very important addition for next season. Here's hoping.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:43 PM
  #28
djp4516
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Country: United States
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Well, I think that Chicago is the most likely of trade partners for us, and I remember hearing that we were pushing hard for Sharp at the deadline, but obviously, Chicago didn't want to lose him for their Cup run.

Either way, we need to find a center to play between Havlat and Latendresse that's not Brodziak or Ebbett. I give them credit, but they just aren't going to be the game-breaking center that we need. Maybe we can find one at the draft via trade this year since I think this year's FA class isn't a very attractive one.

Koivu will definitely need some new wingers. I agree, Bruno is fine on a line with Koivu, but I think they really need a winger that can finish. I don't know who it would be, or what we could trade to get one, but either way the 2nd rounder we got for the Belanger trade could be used to spice up a deal for a winger or centerman so I'm really liking the trade the more that I think about it.

This leads me to this question then, what do we need more? A scoring winger for Koivu's line or a center for Havlat and Latendresse? I can hope we can somehow solve both of these problems this offseason, but I don't find that likely. Obviously drafting well in the upcoming drafts will go a long ways to having worry about scoring, but elite talent isn't easy to come by. Hopefully Fletcher can pull something off that will solve both problems, but it looks like we will be picking about #10 in this draft.
I like Patrick Sharp, but I like Bolland just as much and he's going to be much more cap friendly and cost a lot less to acquire. I know Hawks fans really value Bolland, possibly even as much as Sharp, but I think they would seriously consider Harding and a prospect/2nd round pick for Bolland.

As far as winger for Koivu, I have no idea who we could go after. Kovalchuk and Marleau are out of the discussion, since we're paying for Bouchard and Schultz, so I'm pretty much lost. It'd have to be via trade or draft. This is why I would try to trade up for Taylor Hall. He's what Koivu needs, and I just think he's a great fit. Obviously, he's a great fit pretty much anywhere, but he's not the greatest skater. I'm a believer that Koivu can't play with a blazer like Havlat on a line. He's a much more methodical player than most top centers.

Assuming we end up with around pick 10, could we do something like #10 overall, our 2nd rounder, and Cuma? Is that too much? I like Cuma, but Scandella is going to be the better pro, imo. According to our payroll, whether we like it or not, I think we pretty much have a solid top 4 in place for the foreseeable future. Assuming Burns continues to get back to pre-injury form (which I think will happen btw), we have Zidlicky, Burns, Barker, and Schultz all making decent money.

I mentioned Bouchard earlier, I dunno what's going on with him. I really hope he can come back and contribute on this team eventually. It really sucks that he's out, because I think if he continued to grow his offensive game, especially scoring goals, he could possibly have been the other winger on Koivu's line to replace Brunette. You'd just need to have a big boy like a Johan Franzen type to help him out defensively. Do we think we're ever going to see PMB put up 50 assists in a season again?

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:48 PM
  #29
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Well, I think that Chicago is the most likely of trade partners for us, and I remember hearing that we were pushing hard for Sharp at the deadline, but obviously, Chicago didn't want to lose him for their Cup run.

Either way, we need to find a center to play between Havlat and Latendresse that's not Brodziak or Ebbett. I give them credit, but they just aren't going to be the game-breaking center that we need. Maybe we can find one at the draft via trade this year since I think this year's FA class isn't a very attractive one.

Koivu will definitely need some new wingers. I agree, Bruno is fine on a line with Koivu, but I think they really need a winger that can finish. I don't know who it would be, or what we could trade to get one, but either way the 2nd rounder we got for the Belanger trade could be used to spice up a deal for a winger or centerman so I'm really liking the trade the more that I think about it.

This leads me to this question then, what do we need more? A scoring winger for Koivu's line or a center for Havlat and Latendresse? I can hope we can somehow solve both of these problems this offseason, but I don't find that likely. Obviously drafting well in the upcoming drafts will go a long ways to having worry about scoring, but elite talent isn't easy to come by. Hopefully Fletcher can pull something off that will solve both problems, but it looks like we will be picking about #10 in this draft.
He can probably fill the winger through outside channels, but there are a few in-house candidates on the second-line center deal where it's not a great idea to overspend for one in a weak free agency class.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:52 PM
  #30
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I like Patrick Sharp, but I like Bolland just as much and he's going to be much more cap friendly and cost a lot less to acquire. I know Hawks fans really value Bolland, possibly even as much as Sharp, but I think they would seriously consider Harding and a prospect/2nd round pick for Bolland.

As far as winger for Koivu, I have no idea who we could go after. Kovalchuk and Marleau are out of the discussion, since we're paying for Bouchard and Schultz, so I'm pretty much lost. It'd have to be via trade or draft. This is why I would try to trade up for Taylor Hall. He's what Koivu needs, and I just think he's a great fit. Obviously, he's a great fit pretty much anywhere, but he's not the greatest skater. I'm a believer that Koivu can't play with a blazer like Havlat on a line. He's a much more methodical player than most top centers.

Assuming we end up with around pick 10, could we do something like #10 overall, our 2nd rounder, and Cuma? Is that too much? I like Cuma, but Scandella is going to be the better pro, imo. According to our payroll, whether we like it or not, I think we pretty much have a solid top 4 in place for the foreseeable future. Assuming Burns continues to get back to pre-injury form (which I think will happen btw), we have Zidlicky, Burns, Barker, and Schultz all making decent money.

I mentioned Bouchard earlier, I dunno what's going on with him. I really hope he can come back and contribute on this team eventually. It really sucks that he's out, because I think if he continued to grow his offensive game, especially scoring goals, he could possibly have been the other winger on Koivu's line to replace Brunette. You'd just need to have a big boy like a Johan Franzen type to help him out defensively. Do we think we're ever going to see PMB put up 50 assists in a season again?
I doubt that's enough just because the other seven-eight teams can make better offers if the Hall draft pick is going to be traded.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 02:54 PM
  #31
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
If Butch just got better, he could certainly fill that 2nd line center role pretty well. Or you could put him in Havlat's place and move Havlat along side Koivu. He could be a very important addition for next season. Here's hoping.
I would be intrigued by Butch being our 2nd line center, but we can't know how good he would be since coming back from concussions and such. He's been out for almost a year and half now, I think it will be tough for him to come right back in and make an impact, but we don't know.

I don't ever really remember Havlat playing with Koivu, but I have read that they just didn't look together or something, it would be interesting to see what happens in regards to lines, but I think Lats and Havlat should stay on the same line since they have been awesome together this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I like Patrick Sharp, but I like Bolland just as much and he's going to be much more cap friendly and cost a lot less to acquire. I know Hawks fans really value Bolland, possibly even as much as Sharp, but I think they would seriously consider Harding and a prospect/2nd round pick for Bolland.

As far as winger for Koivu, I have no idea who we could go after. Kovalchuk and Marleau are out of the discussion, since we're paying for Bouchard and Schultz, so I'm pretty much lost. It'd have to be via trade or draft. This is why I would try to trade up for Taylor Hall. He's what Koivu needs, and I just think he's a great fit. Obviously, he's a great fit pretty much anywhere, but he's not the greatest skater. I'm a believer that Koivu can't play with a blazer like Havlat on a line. He's a much more methodical player than most top centers.

Assuming we end up with around pick 10, could we do something like #10 overall, our 2nd rounder, and Cuma? Is that too much? I like Cuma, but Scandella is going to be the better pro, imo. According to our payroll, whether we like it or not, I think we pretty much have a solid top 4 in place for the foreseeable future. Assuming Burns continues to get back to pre-injury form (which I think will happen btw), we have Zidlicky, Burns, Barker, and Schultz all making decent money.


I mentioned Bouchard earlier, I dunno what's going on with him. I really hope he can come back and contribute on this team eventually. It really sucks that he's out, because I think if he continued to grow his offensive game, especially scoring goals, he could possibly have been the other winger on Koivu's line to replace Brunette. You'd just need to have a big boy like a Johan Franzen type to help him out defensively. Do we think we're ever going to see PMB put up 50 assists in a season again?
As much as I'd like Taylor Hall too, I just don't see any way that we can move up to take him without losing someone that we value too highly such as a Koivu.

I will say that I actually feel pretty confident about our D-corps other than Schultz. I just never have liked him that much and I don't think his contract is a good one at all, but that said, we have a pretty solid D-corps now and I have to applaud Fletcher for what he has done with them.

PMB is a tough case, I guess we will just wait and see if he gets any better, best case is I think he starts working out again in the summer since I still think he hasn't worked out since that first game in Columbus.

Elite goal-scoring wingers aren't easy to find, I think that the only way that we will get one is through good drafting, but like I said, maybe we could find a temporary patch for that on Koivu's right wing since I can't stand Miettinen.

Not having watched many Chicago games, I can't say much about Bolland, but I think that we will have to target someone at the draft this year being it center or wing.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:30 PM
  #32
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I doubt that's enough just because the other seven-eight teams can make better offers if the Hall draft pick is going to be traded.
Minnesota made their bed and have to sleep in it. If they wanted Hall, they should have thought about rebuilding.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 03:44 PM
  #33
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Minnesota made their bed and have to sleep in it. If they wanted Hall, they should have thought about rebuilding.
They made their bed July 1 when Fletcher signed a top free agent from last year's class to a contract - Havlat wasn't going to sign a deal with a team where he would be on a rebuilding club for most of it.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2010, 04:16 PM
  #34
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
The actual trade makes this draft an interesting one since we now have 3 picks in the top 60 compared to last year's 1 pick in the top 60 which will hopefully allow us to stock up on a couple more "higher-end" prospects.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 10:38 PM
  #35
Wildlife
Registered User
 
Wildlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 374
vCash: 500
bump


So now that the Caps are out, what number does this pick end up being?

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:04 PM
  #36
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Provided no one gets a compensation pick, it will be #56. The last four picks go to the conference finalists and Washington will be the last besides that due to winning the Presidents Trophy.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:09 PM
  #37
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Wouldn't that be #52? Since there are 2 conferences and 4 in each conference, thus making the equation of 4x2=8, in which there is 30 picks in each round, 30x2=60, so therefore 60-8=52.

Sorry, I've been doing too many math problems.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:19 PM
  #38
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
No because there are only four picks by those teams per round. Washington's first round pick will be #26 due to four teams being behind it and those same four teams will be the only ones behind it in the second round. It's the same reason why Edmonton has the #31 pick and we have the #39 pick in the second round.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:23 PM
  #39
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
But isn't there 8 teams left? Why would the Caps be drafting after the teams that are left?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:31 PM
  #40
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
It's not like the NFL. Only the last four slots (27-30) are reserved for playoff teams (the four conference finalists). Washington and the other non-CF playing division winners go next (~23-26) based upon record. Because of that, the Caps are picking 26 since they are automatically the team with the best record that isn't one of the last four teams.

Hope that helps.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:40 PM
  #41
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
So it goes 1-26 is based on record then? Then the last 4 are automatically 27-30?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:45 PM
  #42
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
Three tiers:
1-22 or whatever the last non-division winner is based upon points
22-26 are the division winners who aren't conference finalists - position is based upon points.
27-30 are the conference finalists. 27 and 28 are the two losers (based upon points) and 29 and 30 are the two finalists (with 30 being the champ).

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:49 PM
  #43
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Damn, I never knew that. Well it's only a few selections anyway, Fletch knew that he would be getting a late 2nd rounder when he did the deal. Glad to see us drafting a lot.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2010, 11:52 PM
  #44
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,828
vCash: 500
It's only been that way for a few years. Before that, it was the Stanley Cup champion picked 30th and everyone else was in order of points - that's how Minnesota ended up with the Oilers' 17th pick despite Edmonton making the Stanley Cup finals that year as the eighth seed.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:27 AM
  #45
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs
 
UMD05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
It's only a handful of spots, but that was the best possible scenario for Minnesota.

Sincerely,

Captain Obvious

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
  #46
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
#56, #60, not that big of a difference, but I'm super excited to see who we end up taking.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
  #47
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
#56, #60, not that big of a difference.
Yet Riser would dump a 3rd rounder to move up that much to draft a grinder he and Tommy had a hunch about.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:03 AM
  #48
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Yet Riser would dump a 3rd rounder to move up that much to draft a grinder he and Tommy had a hunch about.
That's just good asset management.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:38 AM
  #49
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
That's just good asset management.
More like asshat management

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM
  #50
mnwildgophers
Registered User
 
mnwildgophers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: MN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
I'm so excited for the draft, I can barely hold back my excitement. I have this feeling Nino will be gone before we can draft him. I guess we'll wait and see what happens. Connolly could fall to us because of injury history, and not a super strong showing at the U18s. I think Florida goes whoever they think is the best available after Seguin and Hall. Then it's just kind of a crapshoot. It will be tough to guess who we will draft.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.