HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Shooting practice during summer.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2010, 10:41 AM
  #1
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Shooting practice during summer.

Im looking to purchase a net for myself to shoot on during the summer. My only problem is where should i place it. We've got a garage at my parents house, that im currently planning on using for my practice sessions. Im going to shoot snapshots and wristshots exclusively, because my slapshot is already as good as i need it to be.

The only problem i am currently facing with placing the net inside the garage is this. I need to cover the area behind the net, to prevent the puck from making contact with the fiberglass door.



What would be the most cost-efficient way to do it? Opening the door is not an option, because the puck would shoot towards the road about 20 meters away from the garage.


Last edited by MJAYK: 04-26-2010 at 10:59 AM.
MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
  #2
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
If you can find a vinyl tarp for cheap, that's your best bet. If you see a big one in a store or gas station, head in and ask what they're doing with it once the ad campaign they're using it for is done. If you luck out, they might offer it to you. If you can't find one for free, check whatever online classified listings you have for your area. I had a hard time finding new ones for sale at a store, but I remember finding them really expensive.

Otherwise, skraut had a thread recently (link) about his shooting area. He said he bought some nets from Amazon (link to seller). I ended up ordering nets from them too, they're supposed to arrive in a few days though so I can't really comment on quality just yet.

Judging by your flag, you'll need to pay international shipping though. I got wrecked on that, it was like $35 shipping for $~40 worth of items.

I also know beavboyz says he used to use old blankets, which would probably be really cheap.

You'll have to find a way to hang all three options so far though.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 11:15 AM
  #3
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
If you can find a vinyl tarp for cheap, that's your best bet. If you see a big one in a store or gas station, head in and ask what they're doing with it once the ad campaign they're using it for is done. If you luck out, they might offer it to you. If you can't find one for free, check whatever online classified listings you have for your area. I had a hard time finding new ones for sale at a store, but I remember finding them really expensive.

Otherwise, skraut had a thread recently (link) about his shooting area. He said he bought some nets from Amazon (link to seller). I ended up ordering nets from them too, they're supposed to arrive in a few days though so I can't really comment on quality just yet.

Judging by your flag, you'll need to pay international shipping though. I got wrecked on that, it was like $35 shipping for $~40 worth of items.

I also know beavboyz says he used to use old blankets, which would probably be really cheap.

You'll have to find a way to hang all three options so far though.
I think my best bet would be to look for some netting, just like the one "Skraut" was using. Hanging it shouldnt be a problem. Just have to find the proper distance from the door for the net to hang. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll report back when i get my shooting range sorted!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 12:58 PM
  #4
stick9
Registered User
 
stick9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 9,941
vCash: 500
An old piece of carpeting or area rug would be ideal. I'd give it about a foot or two between it and the garage door.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:11 PM
  #5
Superstar Treatment
Registered User
 
Superstar Treatment's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 732 Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,645
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
I have two of a mat very similar to this stacked behind the net,
http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-VA4494BK...2305406&sr=1-2

They're not huge but when stationary you shouldn't be missing the net by a lot.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
  #6
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
An old piece of carpeting or area rug would be ideal. I'd give it about a foot or two between it and the garage door.
I will propably go with this if i cant find some netting that fits the measurements.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:39 PM
  #7
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
I'll second the idea of a big, heavy vinyl tarp. Sometimes they are for sale on Craigslist, old tarps that are the back side of billboards. Usually you can get them in white or black...pick up a white one and paint a big red 4x6 net on it, paint in targets for the corners or a net if you want, and stray pucks won't ricochet off the pipes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2010, 01:44 PM
  #8
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll second the idea of a big, heavy vinyl tarp. Sometimes they are for sale on Craigslist, old tarps that are the back side of billboards. Usually you can get them in white or black...pick up a white one and paint a big red 4x6 net on it, paint in targets for the corners or a net if you want, and stray pucks won't ricochet off the pipes.
I haven't entirely closed off this option either. The benefits of a tarp would be that it wont collect nearly as much dust as some old carpet. Of course the pucks ricocheting from the posts can be a problem with having a real metalposted net indoors. It might be the most cost-effective and low maintenance option out there to have just the tarp and paint the targets just like Jarick said. Interesting!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 08:10 AM
  #9
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
I got myself a pane of plexiglass, got it for cheap because it was a piece that had been left over from a bigger order. What can i use to make it have less friction with the puck? Might a silicone spray of some sort work?

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:04 AM
  #10
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,939
vCash: 500
Someday when I get a house with a garage, I'm doing the vinyl tarp.

I tried silicone spray but the fumes are so awful, I only used it once. The first thing I would try is some Armor All or car wax. After that, maybe some Pledge furniture polish spray.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:46 AM
  #11
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Someday when I get a house with a garage, I'm doing the vinyl tarp.

I tried silicone spray but the fumes are so awful, I only used it once. The first thing I would try is some Armor All or car wax. After that, maybe some Pledge furniture polish spray.
I put some "Enduring wax (car wax)" for the lack of a better word, on the plexiglass. I first applied it to on small area and let it dry for 15 minutes. I wiped it on and tested the puck on it. Boy it was slippery. Now i waxed the whole pane of plexiglass. Cant wait to get testing it when i get my net.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:31 AM
  #12
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,533
vCash: 500
I need to figure out a spot in my back yard. Just gotta make sure not to shoot toward the house.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
  #13
Hrad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I need to figure out a spot in my back yard. Just gotta make sure not to shoot toward the house.
I shoot towards my neighbor's house.

They're happy.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:33 PM
  #14
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Otherwise, skraut had a thread recently (link) about his shooting area. He said he bought some nets from Amazon (link to seller). I ended up ordering nets from them too, they're supposed to arrive in a few days though so I can't really comment on quality just yet.
I've been pretty impressed with the durability. I've been firing into the net every day and seen a dramatic increase in my shot power. (I've been practicing my weight transfer and leg drive, and actually broke my roller blades about a half hour ago. That's what I get for trying to do hockey stuff in recreational skates)

I still don't know how fast it is, so I don't know the force the net is taking, but I hung the net with some 3/4" brass hooks. and the hooks are all bent up in weird shapes from the impact, but the net is just fine. I've only broken one strand of the net so far, and that was due to me having the net too tight, and the way I hit it, essentially all the weight of the shot was taken by one strand and it failed eventually. But as long as the net has some slack, and put a couple strands in each hook, everything holds up well.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:41 PM
  #15
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I've been pretty impressed with the durability. I've been firing into the net every day and seen a dramatic increase in my shot power. (I've been practicing my weight transfer and leg drive, and actually broke my roller blades about a half hour ago. That's what I get for trying to do hockey stuff in recreational skates)

I still don't know how fast it is, so I don't know the force the net is taking, but I hung the net with some 3/4" brass hooks. and the hooks are all bent up in weird shapes from the impact, but the net is just fine. I've only broken one strand of the net so far, and that was due to me having the net too tight, and the way I hit it, essentially all the weight of the shot was taken by one strand and it failed eventually. But as long as the net has some slack, and put a couple strands in each hook, everything holds up well.
I got mine yesterday, I haven't hung them yet though. They feel pretty strong though and they look pretty cool I think. I'll put a review up on Monday.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:56 AM
  #16
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
I've now completed my quest for a shooting platform. It's a piece of plexiglass that i've mentioned before. I put some carwax on it and let it dry before wiping it off. That solved the friction with the puck problem. Now i needed to get me something that i can attach the plexiglass onto. I got some plywood and cut it to size with the plexiglass. I left a little room on the top for me to drill holes for fingers, so it is easier to carry around. I put silicone around the edges of the plywood and set the plexiglass on it. I added some weights on the plexiglass for some pressure (~40kg's.). I'll let you guys know how it comes out.

I've also ordered myself a net from a Finnish company that, well.. Manufactures netting for different purposes. They didnt have netting that was designed to withstand pucks for a longer timespan. So the cool guy who i had the E-mail conversation with said that they can make me the same size net as the golfing net but from a thicker twine, so it will last for a long time. Now i just need to purchase myself a goal so i can really get cracking with the shooting. Atleast i can attach some paper targets around the netting when i receive it, to ease my worst withdrawls from not being able to get on the ice.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:42 PM
  #17
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
I've also ordered myself a net from a Finnish company that, well.. Manufactures netting for different purposes. They didnt have netting that was designed to withstand pucks for a longer timespan. So the cool guy who i had the E-mail conversation with said that they can make me the same size net as the golfing net but from a thicker twine, so it will last for a long time. Now i just need to purchase myself a goal so i can really get cracking with the shooting. Atleast i can attach some paper targets around the netting when i receive it, to ease my worst withdrawls from not being able to get on the ice.
I actually shoot into net as well, it is just like the nets on the amazon link. Getting netting for golf balls is actually a better idea though becuase it is dual purpose! I tried driving balls into my net and it goes right through

For light netting The trick is to hang it loosely, so it gently slows the puck down, then there is barely any wear on the net. I have been hammering slapshots into my net for about a month now (I just pulled it out of the barn at my mom's place)

My netting is very light, I got it from a shoelace factory when I was 16 and paid way to much to have it custom made for a project I was doing. I am really happy with it's performance, I just hung it between two trees with some nails, works like a charm.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:53 PM
  #18
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
The amazon store sells on ebay as well, for the extra frugal people http://www.floridanets.net/ (links to ebay store)

bahah, just noticed their domain of choice was .net ... clever

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:14 PM
  #19
Semper Sens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Sens View Post
I got mine yesterday, I haven't hung them yet though. They feel pretty strong though and they look pretty cool I think. I'll put a review up on Monday.
Now that this thread has been pumped, I'll pop my review in:

I've shot upwards of 1000 pucks at the net so far, and I have not ripped a single strand. To hang the net, I bought some cheap aircraft cable from home depot, aluminum sleeves, cable clips, and a set of rings that are supposed to hold up a shower curtain, total cost maybe $14. There are two strands of green netting that run across one side of the net, which I am using to hold it up. Although I could use more, the two strands are holding up just fine.

I have fired pucks straight into the netting with no ill effects (I am only taking wrist shots though). I weighed down the bottom of the netting with a brick at either end, and this seems to be working fine. No pucks go through the net or under it, no matter what.

I take it down after practice, and it is a lot easier to store than I thought. I just pull it until it's in a straight line, and then wrap it up. It hasn't tangled yet and is pretty compact when folded up (maybe the size of a beach towel folded, although I am sure you could get it smaller). Only time I have had issues was when it came into contact with the frayed aircraft cable ends. I just wrap the cable ends in a handkerchief now.

I paid for 15' x 12', however the thing is at least 17 feet long at the ends. At the middle, it is probably much closer to 15' (in other words, it is not a perfect square, however the smallest length of the netting is what is given in the dimensions). I am not using the maximum height so I am not sure how tall it is exactly, however if you are going to buy one, make sure to buy one that is plenty tall so pucks can't get underneath. I am probably using it as an 8' tall net, so there is plenty of netting just sitting on the ground waiting to catch pucks.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:05 AM
  #20
MJAYK
Registered User
 
MJAYK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Polar bear country
Country: Finland
Posts: 760
vCash: 500
I ordered myself a net. Its sized at 183 x 127 x 79 cm , which i think is pretty close to the official measurements? Cost me 84 shipped to my home address. Here's a picture of the net.


MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 03:41 AM
  #21
Salzig
I am laudable.
 
Salzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonn, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
Well I just wrote my exams and have a lot of free time now. I'll do some sports to improve my endurance/muscles/strenght/.... and I want to work on my shot and stickhandling as well. I just wanted to know how long I should practice shooting/stickhandling? I have much time and it would be a pity if I wasted it.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 06:27 AM
  #22
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semper Sens View Post
Now that this thread has been pumped, I'll pop my review in:

I've shot upwards of 1000 pucks at the net so far, and I have not ripped a single strand. To hang the net, I bought some cheap aircraft cable from home depot, aluminum sleeves, cable clips, and a set of rings that are supposed to hold up a shower curtain, total cost maybe $14. There are two strands of green netting that run across one side of the net, which I am using to hold it up. Although I could use more, the two strands are holding up just fine.

I have fired pucks straight into the netting with no ill effects (I am only taking wrist shots though). I weighed down the bottom of the netting with a brick at either end, and this seems to be working fine. No pucks go through the net or under it, no matter what.

I take it down after practice, and it is a lot easier to store than I thought. I just pull it until it's in a straight line, and then wrap it up. It hasn't tangled yet and is pretty compact when folded up (maybe the size of a beach towel folded, although I am sure you could get it smaller). Only time I have had issues was when it came into contact with the frayed aircraft cable ends. I just wrap the cable ends in a handkerchief now.

I paid for 15' x 12', however the thing is at least 17 feet long at the ends. At the middle, it is probably much closer to 15' (in other words, it is not a perfect square, however the smallest length of the netting is what is given in the dimensions). I am not using the maximum height so I am not sure how tall it is exactly, however if you are going to buy one, make sure to buy one that is plenty tall so pucks can't get underneath. I am probably using it as an 8' tall net, so there is plenty of netting just sitting on the ground waiting to catch pucks.
Can you post a picture or two of how your setup looks? I wish I didn't need to hold the bottom down with hooks, as that is where I have broken a few strands now that I have started firing slapshots into it. I actually hung mine with the green strands on the sides, as my net is much wider than it is tall, and without something holding down the bottom, all of my shots were going under the net.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
  #23
hof2120
Registered User
 
hof2120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 990
vCash: 500
Just a warning, I bought some netting from that guy from his eBay store and if you plan on using regulation pucks they will rip quite easily. My wrist shot isn't anything spectacular and my first shot went straight through it and into my garage door.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2010, 02:00 AM
  #24
HowToHockey
Registered User
 
HowToHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Huntsville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hof2120 View Post
Just a warning, I bought some netting from that guy from his eBay store and if you plan on using regulation pucks they will rip quite easily. My wrist shot isn't anything spectacular and my first shot went straight through it and into my garage door.
Did it rip it, and did you hang the net tightly?

If you hang the net nice and loose it will gently catch each puck.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.