HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nicklas Lidstrom

Old
04-29-2010, 01:32 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 500
Nicklas Lidstrom

Hey Wings fans, just wanted to start off by saying congrats on moving to round two.

I have a question for you guys that I've been wondering for a while and I figured you'd be the best to answer it. I'm probably gonna get ripped for this but, thats the chance I take. Just know I mean no harm or insult from this question.

Anyways, seeing as Lidstrom's retirement is getting nearer, maybe this season, maybe a couple years down the road, I've started to wonder if his jersey number will be retired. Now many may think this is an easy question to answer given his point totals, norris trophy wins and leading the team to a championship, but I find sometimes numbers aren't enough to warrent a jersey being raised to the rafters. That player needs to be special and truly mean something to the team, the city and you, the fans. And I've always found from an outside observer, that players like Yzerman and Fedorov, Shanahan, Osgood and such have meant more emotionally to the Red Wings organization than Lidstrom and from this I've found myself teetering on a fence whether or not his name should hang among Howe and Lindsay and Sawchuk and Abel and the rest of them.

So I ask you not only should Lidstroms jersey number 5 hang up in the raftors with the rest of the Red Wing legends, but also why, and what has he meant to you as an organization, but more importantly fans?

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 01:39 AM
petesrw

I have never heard anyone question his number being retired. It is as much as a fact as anything. He may not be a flashy player and he may not engage people's attention like some of the players you mentioned, but he is no less important than any of them, except Yzerman. He has been the rock on this team for so many years and all of his stats suggest rafter status (I mean, point a game player for how many games??). He does everything you want out of a defensemen. There is NO QUESTION he is the last man in Detroit to wear number 5.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 02:27 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesrw View Post
I have never heard anyone question his number being retired. It is as much as a fact as anything. He may not be a flashy player and he may not engage people's attention like some of the players you mentioned, but he is no less important than any of them, except Yzerman. He has been the rock on this team for so many years and all of his stats suggest rafter status (I mean, point a game player for how many games??). He does everything you want out of a defensemen. There is NO QUESTION he is the last man in Detroit to wear number 5.
Thank you for the answer. I don't know what he meant to the Wings, thats why I'm asking. He just never seemed to me, to mean to Detroit what some others have meant. There's probably players on Toronto that have meant more to Leaf fans than you'd realize as well. Don't get me wrong, he's an amazing player and could very well be a top 5 defenceman of all time when he retires. But sometimes to me anyways, numbers don't mean number retirement. There also has to be something else. Something special, like the others that hang in the rafters.

Old
04-29-2010, 02:29 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Lidstrom has been the foundation for the team probably since he has been here.

Nobody could do what Lidstrom did for Detroit in that number, which is why he will get it retired. He deserves it, no question.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:08 AM
Anchor Town

not to hijack the thread but can anyone whos good with video stuff make a youtube of Lidstroms second goal last night (his snipe)

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:13 AM
FabricDetails

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
not to hijack the thread but can anyone whos good with video stuff make a youtube of Lidstroms second goal last night (his snipe)
It's in here somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPHGyio2_SM

FabricDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:13 AM
jiboy
Patience

vCash: 50
he's just soo good

he will be insta hall of famer and they will insta retire his number

this is the kind of player im happy to have seen play...just love how sound and how reliable he is..no player plays the way he does..

hopefully he keeps playing for 2-3 more years..still its awesome how good his production has been with time going on..he's just like wine..keeps getting better

just a very very smart player who understands the game to a level where you wouldn't even believe its possible to reach

jiboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 03:20 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1337 View Post
he's just soo good

he will be insta hall of famer and they will insta retire his number

this is the kind of player im happy to have seen play...just love how sound and how reliable he is..no player plays the way he does..

hopefully he keeps playing for 2-3 more years..still its awesome how good his production has been with time going on..he's just like wine..keeps getting better

just a very very smart player who understands the game to a level where you wouldn't even believe its possible to reach
That analogy made me smile lol. And I hope he keeps playing a little longer as well.

Old
04-29-2010, 03:23 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabricDetails View Post
sorry i shouldve been more clear, can anyone make one of just his second goal

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 04:05 AM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Lids is probably the best oversea player ever. He is a classy guy, true leader, hockey IQ way beyond exceptional and an unbelievable defensive force. I'm sure as hell we'll see his number at the rafters.

Great honour for quick Nick also a very sad day for every Redwingsfan seeing him leave

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 07:12 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
Hey Wings fans, just wanted to start off by saying congrats on moving to round two.

I have a question for you guys that I've been wondering for a while and I figured you'd be the best to answer it. I'm probably gonna get ripped for this but, thats the chance I take. Just know I mean no harm or insult from this question.

Anyways, seeing as Lidstrom's retirement is getting nearer, maybe this season, maybe a couple years down the road, I've started to wonder if his jersey number will be retired. Now many may think this is an easy question to answer given his point totals, norris trophy wins and leading the team to a championship, but I find sometimes numbers aren't enough to warrent a jersey being raised to the rafters. That player needs to be special and truly mean something to the team, the city and you, the fans. And I've always found from an outside observer, that players like Yzerman and Fedorov, Shanahan, Osgood and such have meant more emotionally to the Red Wings organization than Lidstrom and from this I've found myself teetering on a fence whether or not his name should hang among Howe and Lindsay and Sawchuk and Abel and the rest of them.

So I ask you not only should Lidstroms jersey number 5 hang up in the raftors with the rest of the Red Wing legends, but also why, and what has he meant to you as an organization, but more importantly fans?
Lidstrom will retire as one of the greatest Red Wings ever.

He was the cornerstone of this iteration of the franchise that has managed to win four Cups.

I just posted this on the general board in another debated but Lidstrom has never been shielded from the best players. Every single game, Nick has and will continue to face the best the other team has to offer--- at ES, PP and on the PK. Holland has his own tribute to Lids in a THN article that named Lids as the best European player to ever play in the NHL. The joke around here is that once Nick retires, Holland would follow (that's Holland's joke, btw).

Ask any Red Wing who has played with Nick, and they'll say he's the best they ever seen. He's "perfect" and simply doesn't screw up. There are plenty of NHL'ers who have said Nick is the toughest guy to face. Yes, even the Golden Child selected Nick as the toughest defenseman to go up against.

His number will be retired. There is no doubt whatsoever that he belongs up there with #9 and #19, the only two up there that belong in his league. What I mean by that is that Nick will rank higher on the All-Time list of best defenseman than Stevie would as a center. It's probably true, but Stevie had the captain/intangible thing going here. Gordie Howe is Gordie Howe.

Old
04-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Fugu

vCash:
Here's what Holland said about him, and a link to that thread:

Quote:
A quote from Detroit GM Ken Holland pretty much said it all why Lidstrom goes down as the top European ever to play in the NHL: “For the last 10 years we’re near the top of the league in points, he plays almost 30 minutes a game, always against the other team’s best players, he’s always one of the highest-scoring defensemen, most years we’re near the top of the league in power play, most years we’re near the top of the league in penalty-killing and most years we’re near the top of the league in goals against. He plays every critical situation. We won three Stanley Cups and five Presidents’ Trophies. We’ve been to the final four times in the last 12 seasons and he has been the one constant.”
This was in 2007..... before Cup #4 and the almost win of #5....

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-all-time.html

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ropean+Holland

Old
04-29-2010, 07:51 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
Lidstrom will retire as one of the greatest Red Wings ever.

He was the cornerstone of this iteration of the franchise that has managed to win four Cups.

I just posted this on the general board in another debated but Lidstrom has never been shielded from the best players. Every single game, Nick has and will continue to face the best the other team has to offer--- at ES, PP and on the PK. Holland has his own tribute to Lids in a THN article that named Lids as the best European player to ever play in the NHL. The joke around here is that once Nick retires, Holland would follow (that's Holland's joke, btw).

Ask any Red Wing who has played with Nick, and they'll say he's the best they ever seen. He's "perfect" and simply doesn't screw up. There are plenty of NHL'ers who have said Nick is the toughest guy to face. Yes, even the Golden Child selected Nick as the toughest defenseman to go up against.

His number will be retired. There is no doubt whatsoever that he belongs up there with #9 and #19, the only two up there that belong in his league. What I mean by that is that Nick will rank higher on the All-Time list of best defenseman than Stevie would as a center. It's probably true, but Stevie had the captain/intangible thing going here. Gordie Howe is Gordie Howe.
Thanks for the answer and link Fugu, this is great stuff.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:18 AM
nihlify

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post

Lidstrom is considered a top 10 (conservative) defender of all time and he's played his entire nhl career in Detroit being one of the most influential (if not flashy) players on the team. What possible reasons would there be not to retire his number? If you add his personal achievements as well as the teams success during his time here, it really not a hard decision to take imo.

nihlify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:54 AM
DetBigWangs

Of course he had impact, his non-flashiness actually carried over to the way Detroit tries to play - precise, mistake-free hockey.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote