HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed: Belak extended

Old
04-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Predsrule

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackleg Jack View Post
I'd go with nothing. It's cheaper, and puts up about the same amount of points.
that 500k is not to put up points..

someone will be on this team for this role regardless if its him or not..so its money that will be spent regardless might as well have him do it..

Predsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:46 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
He's a great guy, and I don't doubt all that's said about his lockerroom presence, but he's an absolute waste in all aspects on the ice. He's a liability both offensively and defensively, and for those saying, we "need a heavyweight"...why? Name one instance that Belak, who rarely fights in any situation, needed to "stand up" for a teammate. He's part of a dying breed of "for show" fighters. He'll fight the other team's heavy in a silly, pointless, staged bout, all while taking a spot in the lineup from someone that could at least fill a role.

I'm disappointed by this signing at any price.
+1.

If he's such a great influence on younger players he can hang around the team in some other role that doesn't count towards the salary cap (of course I'm referring to the cap floor, which might as well be our ceiling). I mean, the guy does NOTHING on the ice. NOTHING! It's insane! He doesn't kill penalties, doesn't take faceoffs, contributes nothing on offense OR defense...I mean, WTF?! If he had even ONE other skill to offer other than fighting this could maaaaybe be defensible. But he does nothing!

The only way this could be more annoying is if he actually plays in a lot of games like he did this year, taking a spot away from someone who might actually contribute something.

Quote:
I'd go with nothing. It's cheaper, and puts up about the same amount of points.
HAHA. That's awesome.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Webersmashpuck

For those who say Belak doesn't add toughness remember the difference between Nick Tarnasky and when Wade came. Also those who say hes a waste of money would you havent wanted Hornqvist scratched all last year? Thats the role Belak takes. Its not earthshattering, its good because it allows youth to develop and saves money instead of having a Tootoo or Boyd as a scratch.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:21 PM
predfan24

The whole notion of " you need a heavyweight fighter to keep teams from taking liberties" is really outdated and is simply not even true anymore. Tell me when this occurred this year. The few games he does play he gets 3-4 minutes of ice time and mabye fights a staged fight against the other teams heavy if they dressed one.

I think this contract is more of a reward for him being a really good Team guy. But for a franchise that is always talking about their lack of money this is a stupid move.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:26 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
For those who say Belak doesn't add toughness remember the difference between Nick Tarnasky and when Wade came. Also those who say hes a waste of money would you havent wanted Hornqvist scratched all last year? Thats the role Belak takes. Its not earthshattering, its good because it allows youth to develop and saves money instead of having a Tootoo or Boyd as a scratch.
The difference was when Nick participated in his staged fights he got his ass kicked unlike Belak. That's about it.

Hornqvist was also on a 2 way contract so it's not like we HAD to pay his whole salary. If we weren't happy with his performance we could send him down and bring up someone else worthy of ice time. Paying someone a 1 way contract just to be a permascratch. I mean am I the only one who is comprehending how ridiculous that sounds?

Old
04-29-2010, 11:30 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
that 500k is not to put up points..

someone will be on this team for this role regardless if its him or not..so its money that will be spent regardless might as well have him do it..
What about O'Reily? At this point assuming we sign Hornqvist (we better) and Boyd ( Very possible) there isn't room for him either and he is also on a 1 way contract for next season. So we need 2 perma scratches? Let's not forgot the forgotten Sulzer is on a 1 way contract for next year also.

Old
04-30-2010, 01:16 AM
dulzhok

600K to be the locker-room wise guy and fight a couple of people. We could've paid some cage fighter 22K for this. Surely we could find a funny one off Craiglist or something.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:32 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
What about O'Reily? At this point assuming we sign Hornqvist (we better) and Boyd ( Very possible) there isn't room for him either and he is also on a 1 way contract for next season. So we need 2 perma scratches? Let's not forgot the forgotten Sulzer is on a 1 way contract for next year also.
Well what about when someone makes a cheep shot.. with out him who fights then? Weber? yup that's what we want him doing all the time going up against the other teams goons and getting hurt..
again there is going to be someone on this team like this wither you agree with it or not.. so some one this fan base likes who plays an off ice roll with the fans? well thats just extra icing on the cake..
and fact the guys need somone in the locker room like this they can trust.. ? even better.. and not like we are going to find anone who fills this for cheaper..

but jeesh if the fan base on here is crying about this low key signing..

Old
04-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Preds decided they wanted to fill the 23rd spot on the roster with an enforcer and decided keeping Belak was the best way to do so. End of story. I really don't understand all the outrage over this. Keeping a prospect as the 23rd man would be a waste and there is no one in the organization that Beeler is blocking. Therefore, I'm fine with the move and am happy to see Beeler back.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:47 AM
OpenWheel

I think designated fighter is sort of stupid. But they like Belak enough to want to give him one more year of pretty good pay. He won't be of any actual use or anything. (except I guess as the good atmosphere guy) But it doesn't really bother me, although I'd rather have a veteran who can play, filling the "always-scratched-but-here-in-an-emergency" spot.

The only thing that niggles a bit is, aren't there enforcers who can also play? What was our record when Belak had ice time versus when he didn't set a skate on the ice? I don't know how to look that up. But it seemed to me we didn't do all that well.

Fighter is just a ceremonial position any more. The only enforcing that helps is when somebody who is on the ice right then roughs up the cheapshotter. I can't think of anything dumber then to head out to take revenge on the dirty player, only to fight with the dirty player's hired muscle instead. But, Trotz likes that sort of thing, so our guy may as well be Belak I guess. He is a decent sort, and tough. Congrats on the new deal Wade.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 04-30-2010 at 08:54 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:58 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
I think designated fighter is sort of stupid. But they like Belak enough to want to give him one more year of pretty good pay. He won't be of any actual use or anything. (except I guess as the good atmosphere guy) But it doesn't really bother me, although I'd rather have a veteran who can play, filling the "always-scratched-but-here-in-an-emergency" spot.

The only thing that niggles a bit is, aren't there enforcers who can also play? What was our record when Belak had ice time versus when he didn't set a skate on the ice? I don't know how to look that up. But it seemed to me we didn't do all that well.

Fighter is just a ceremonial position any more. The only enforcing that helps is when somebody who is on the ice right then roughs up the cheapshotter. I can't think of anything dumber then to head out to take revenge on the dirty player, only to fight with the dirty player's hired muscle instead. But, Trotz likes that sort of thing, so our guy may as well be Belak I guess. He is a decent sort, and tough. Congrats on the new deal Wade.
That's the point I was trying to make. The difference in Wade and the guys that Predanerd listed is that all those guys may not be great(though some, like Carcillo, can actually contribute in multiple ways), but none of them are flat out useless outside of fighting...which Belak doesn't even do all that often. I don't have a lot of respect for someone like Boogaard or DJ King...but at least they'll HIT. Belak is pretty soft when not actually stagefighting.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Preds decided they wanted to fill the 23rd spot on the roster with an enforcer and decided keeping Belak was the best way to do so. End of story. I really don't understand all the outrage over this. Keeping a prospect as the 23rd man would be a waste and there is no one in the organization that Beeler is blocking. Therefore, I'm fine with the move and am happy to see Beeler back.
Will you be negative for once?

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:30 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
That's the point I was trying to make. The difference in Wade and the guys that Predanerd listed is that all those guys may not be great(though some, like Carcillo, can actually contribute in multiple ways), but none of them are flat out useless outside of fighting...which Belak doesn't even do all that often. I don't have a lot of respect for someone like Boogaard or DJ King...but at least they'll HIT. Belak is pretty soft when not actually stagefighting.
Yeah, he is, just ask Brashear.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Yeah, he is, just ask Brashear.
Like i said...good fighter, but soft otherwise. He knocked out Brashear...IN A FIGHT.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:16 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
600K to be the locker-room wise guy and fight a couple of people. We could've paid some cage fighter 22K for this. Surely we could find a funny one off Craiglist or something.
I'll do it for $500 and a Corky's gift card.

I like Belak, but not sure about needing a tough guy, though I'm sure it'll all work out in the end. I'd much rather have a hardcore, self esteem shattering pest on the team who can put up a few points, but I guess we have that in Tootoo?

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:24 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
Will you be negative for once?
Well, I went stupid in another thread, so...the next time I get the chance. I'll go negative just for you Joe...just for you.

Beeler is almost too respectful of "The Code" and it hurts him more often than not. However take him out of the lineup on some nights and only bad things are likely to happen. There is a fine line between playing physical and playing dirty. That is the line Belak patrols and does more work simply by sitting on the bench being ready and willing than he actually does in his limited ice time.

Sort of like a defensive-defenseman generally only gets recognized when he makes a mistake. An enforcer does most of his work in a subtle manner and generally you don't notice him unless he makes a mistake or the situation calls for him to fight.

A fight is generally just a "re-negotiation" of where the line stands. If the other team has started to push it, Belak is sent out to push back. If we begin to push it, Belak is sent out to defend our stance. And last, but not least, when the team needs a wake up...Belak is called upon to challenge the line and his teammates to put a little fire in their step and pickup the intensity out on the ice.

Just like with anything in life, sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. But having that tool at your disposal is generally better than not...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 01:18 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
While it may seem like a waste to have him on the roster, he brings two things to this club, a heavyweight that can fight during the regular season, which teams need, and he also is a good locker room guy.
This post should have ended the thread.

You nailed it. And to me, if you don't see this, you aren't looking hard enough.

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Belak is what he is, but for all these people talking about "when was Belak needed to keep teams from taking liberties?" The fact that this question is asked is proof that teams know when a guy like that is on the other team. I guarantee you if we let Belak go and relied on someone like Tootoo or the marvelous Triston Grant and players of his ilk, this would come up again. Belak probably prevents more problems than he has to solve. The guy isn't even making 600k, I don't see the issue.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 04:10 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I know you were just joking but the league minimum is 575K, so that spot was going to be filled by someone, at that salary, even if it was you or me(and I cant even skate)... so why not him?

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:08 PM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Dude...you can't even compare Belak to Hornqvist (even the Horny of last year)...Horny had skill, even when he wasn't utilized much last year he still had 2G/5A in 28 games, which is better than Belak's 0G/2A in 39 games this year. It's just not even right to compare the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predsrule View Post
Well what about when someone makes a cheep shot.. with out him who fights then? Weber? yup that's what we want him doing all the time going up against the other teams goons and getting hurt..
again there is going to be someone on this team like this wither you agree with it or not.. so some one this fan base likes who plays an off ice roll with the fans? well thats just extra icing on the cake..
and fact the guys need somone in the locker room like this they can trust.. ? even better.. and not like we are going to find anone who fills this for cheaper..

but jeesh if the fan base on here is crying about this low key signing..
I just can't think of a single time that any of our guys has ever gotten cheap-shotted, only to have Belak come out and fight someone. And I don't mean there are never any cheap shots when Belak plays either. I know I've seen stuff happen in games and been like "Gahhh I can't wait for Belak to come out and kill that guy!"...never happens. I just don't think his role as a fighter is as important as some people think.

But my main beef with Belak is that other than fighting, he doesn't bring anything to the table! Can't we find a guy who can fight a little, but also kill penalties? Or win faceoffs? Or play more than 3 minutes a night? Or do ANYTHING worthwhile other than fight? Surely there's someone like that out there.

AEM6729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:27 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Dude...you can't even compare Belak to Hornqvist (even the Horny of last year)...Horny had skill, even when he wasn't utilized much last year he still had 2G/5A in 28 games, which is better than Belak's 0G/2A in 39 games this year. It's just not even right to compare the two.

I just can't think of a single time that any of our guys has ever gotten cheap-shotted, only to have Belak come out and fight someone. And I don't mean there are never any cheap shots when Belak plays either. I know I've seen stuff happen in games and been like "Gahhh I can't wait for Belak to come out and kill that guy!"...never happens. I just don't think his role as a fighter is as important as some people think.

But my main beef with Belak is that other than fighting, he doesn't bring anything to the table! Can't we find a guy who can fight a little, but also kill penalties? Or win faceoffs? Or play more than 3 minutes a night? Or do ANYTHING worthwhile other than fight? Surely there's someone like that out there.
Problem there is then you have someone with skill who will command more salary and if one of the beefs is salary, would you rather have a guy that may score 10 points, be able to fight and take up a roster spot?

Having Belak on the bench is like having a nuclear missile in a silo, you hope you don't have to use him. It's preventative as much as anything. If teams know they he's there, they're less likely to get wild on us. Sure, teams have gotten cheap on us and he wasn't used as much as he could've been but without him, teams would've taken more liberties with us. It's just good knowing Belak is there. We all sleep a little better at night because of it. Just because he doesn't fit your idea of what a guy should be doing doesn't mean he's not valuable to us.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 01:54 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I like it. I would rather have Belak take that spot than some prospect who would be asked to "learn" while sitting in the press box all season. We need someone to fill that role, he's already been here for 2 years so he knows/understands this team, everyone on the team seems to like him, he makes near to/the league minimum. Welcome back Wade!

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 02:29 AM
Predsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

Why not a guy who can fight and be a great off ice guy?
why have a guy who comes on fights and wins faceoffs and offers nothing to a fan base we need to build..
is a great off ice guy and does help build our fan base.. theres more to players to what they do on the ice...
on ice does job he needs to do ..
off ice he does way more then he needs to do ...

in point there is no better player at 600k for this fan base to have

Old
05-01-2010, 10:08 AM
JacklegJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I guarantee you if we let Belak go and relied on someone like Tootoo or the marvelous Triston Grant and players of his ilk, this would come up again. Belak probably prevents more problems than he has to solve. The guy isn't even making 600k, I don't see the issue.
That's a fallacy. You really think players on opposing teams are going to play softer against us because they're too afraid of the Big Bad Belak coming after them? Maybe $600K isn't a big deal to a team like Toronto or New York, who can throw money around left and right in the form of poor contract signings, but we don't have a ton of money to spend. I would much rather put that $600K towards someone who can help us where we actually need it, in the form of offensive point production. Anyway, like it's been mentioned before, I bet this has much more to do with the intangibles that Belak brings to the locker room. I don't know what those intangibles are, but let's not kid ourselves here; if we wanted to throw half a million at a player solely because we thought he would "intimidate" and "scare" other teams into not playing so hard against us, we could have done much better than Belak. These guys are a dime a dozen. The fact that Montreal dropped Laraque like a hot potato should say something about the current importance (or lack thereof) of goons.

I mean, is this what we're really sinking to? Because we can't bring in bonafide goal-scorers we're actually happy that we spent money on someone who simply beats up other players? How well did that work for St. Louis again..?

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
That's a fallacy. You really think players on opposing teams are going to play softer against us because they're too afraid of the Big Bad Belak coming after them? Maybe $600K isn't a big deal to a team like Toronto or New York, who can throw money around left and right in the form of poor contract signings, but we don't have a ton of money to spend. I would much rather put that $600K towards someone who can help us where we actually need it, in the form of offensive point production. Anyway, like it's been mentioned before, I bet this has much more to do with the intangibles that Belak brings to the locker room. I don't know what those intangibles are, but let's not kid ourselves here; if we wanted to throw half a million at a player solely because we thought he would "intimidate" and "scare" other teams into not playing so hard against us, we could have done much better than Belak. These guys are a dime a dozen. The fact that Montreal dropped Laraque like a hot potato should say something about the current importance (or lack thereof) of goons.

I mean, is this what we're really sinking to? Because we can't bring in bonafide goal-scorers we're actually happy that we spent money on someone who simply beats up other players? How well did that work for St. Louis again..?
I understand what you're saying but 575k isn't much money even for us. That's going to do next to nothing in the 'get offensive production' department. The majority of teams are going to need or want a player who will in fact stand up for his team which then leads into 'well it might as well be Belak rather than some random new guy." I'm not saying that people aren't going to touch our players because Belak is out there but do you really think someone is going to cross the line knowing that he is? Enforcers may be a dying breed but he's one of the best at what he does and for a chump change salary we might as well keep him. Poile knows what he's doing. The players like him and as I said even for a team like us he's not making squat so what's the big deal? If that money Belak is getting is causing us to lose out on some offensive firepower then we have some serious financial issues.

Drake744 is online now   Reply With Quote