HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Chris Drury to Washington Caps

Old
04-30-2010, 04:59 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Chris Drury to Washington Caps

Just curious about opinions of a return if Sather were to, hypothetically, have Ted Leonsis' attention.

To Caps: Drury + starting Defensman (not Redden or Staal)

To NYR:

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:02 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Just curious about opinions of a return if Sather were to, hypothetically, have Ted Leonsis' attention.

To NYR:
The other hurrdle to jump over his Drury's NMC. Gotta see if he would waive it first.

UAGoalieGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:03 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
There's absolutely no way the Caps would take on Drury's contract when they have legitimate stars they need to re-up soon.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:08 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Drury for Semin (he says with a straight face.)

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:13 PM
squishy

No. Movement. Clause.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
No. Movement. Clause.
SERIOUSLY!

Come one people, he is not going anywhere, the NMC means he will be a Ranger until the end of his tenure here...it seems like we need to go through this every day...

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:17 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Drury for Semin (he says with a straight face.)
Damn, you have a good poker face. lol

Old
04-30-2010, 05:21 PM
shoothepuck

NMC should stand for, (no money clause), or (no more captain) when you don't produce and play sub-par.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

I'm aware of the NMC.

Lets just say, hypothetically, Chris perceives a personal advantage to waiving his NMC to finish out his current contract as a Washington Cap.

What would a fair return be in your opinion?

Drury + D man

Old
04-30-2010, 05:25 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Why couldn't Sather do what a lot of other GM's did that handed out NMC's? A few have the NMC or NTC expire a few years into a long-term contract. For example, a player signs a 5 year contract and the NMC is good for the first three years.

Old
04-30-2010, 05:31 PM
UAGoalieGuy

Quote:
I'm aware of the NMC.

Lets just say, hypothetically, Chris perceives a personal advantage to waiving his NMC to finish out his current contract as a Washington Cap.

Drury + D man
What D-man would be going back to the Caps? Giradi? Roszival? Gilroy? Either way thats $9 to $12 million going to the Caps, who need the salary cap space. Who would the send back, salary wise? I would think Semin ($6 million cap hit) would have to be included, but he holds so much more value then Drury and either Girardi/Roszival/Gilroy.

The Caps have a lot of RFA's to re-sign this summer: Fehr, Fleischmann, Backstrom, Gordon, and Schultz. Then they have to fill out the rest of their roster.

Old
04-30-2010, 05:37 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
What D-man would be going back to the Caps? Giradi? Roszival? Gilroy? Either way thats $9 to $12 million going to the Caps, who need the salary cap space. Who would the send back, salary wise? I would think Semin ($6 million cap hit) would have to be included, but he holds so much more value then Drury and either Girardi/Roszival/Gilroy.

The Caps have a lot of RFA's to re-sign this summer: Fehr, Fleischmann, Backstrom, Gordon, and Schultz. Then they have to fill out the rest of their roster.
Dan Girardi

Both teams have plenty of managing of their cap budget, RFA's, spots to upgrade, and general tweaking to the rosters on the immediate horizon.

Old
04-30-2010, 05:44 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
I'm aware of the NMC.

Drury + D man
Problem is, there aren't too many movable, good pieces on Washington. They could actually benefit from Drury's veteran presence, but who could they move? Signs point to Semin, but considering he will be a UFA wanting a huge payday, I doubt the Caps get back as much as they'd want, therefore I don't know if they'd trade him.

Maybe they'd be interested in something like Drury+Grachev for Semin+Erskine...I think Grachev is overrated personally, but he could be a 30 goal scorer at some point down the line. Drury is super overpaid, but with the allure of our "best" prospect, maybe it'd be possible if they really wanted to deal Semin.

I wouldn't do it personally, because I hate A.S., but to get a guy who can score like that, we're gonna have to move something top notch in terms of youth (since they can't take back high salary along with Drury)...anyway, that's just my thoughts on it. Don't think it gets done from either team really, but I don't think it's TOO far off.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Problem is, there aren't too many movable, good pieces on Washington. They could actually benefit from Drury's veteran presence, but who could they move? Signs point to Semin, but considering he will be a UFA wanting a huge payday, I doubt the Caps get back as much as they'd want, therefore I don't know if they'd trade him.

Maybe they'd be interested in something like Drury+Grachev for Semin+Erskine...I think Grachev is overrated personally, but he could be a 30 goal scorer at some point down the line. Drury is super overpaid, but with the allure of our "best" prospect, maybe it'd be possible if they really wanted to deal Semin.

I wouldn't do it personally, because I hate A.S., but to get a guy who can score like that, we're gonna have to move something top notch in terms of youth (since they can't take back high salary along with Drury)...anyway, that's just my thoughts on it. Don't think it gets done from either team really, but I don't think it's TOO far off.
If Glen Sather could ever turn Chris Drury into Alex Semin it would be the biggest heist of all time.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:39 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Even if Drury were to waive his NMC for a trade, I find the only way to get rid of him would be to trade him to one of those poorer teams that are no where near the cap hit in the last year of his contract, when he will be making $5M.

Otherwise, nobody is going to want him, he's almost as unmovable as Redden, even without the NMC.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Even if Drury were to waive his NMC for a trade, I find the only way to get rid of him would be to trade him to one of those poorer teams that are no where near the cap hit in the last year of his contract, when he will be making $5M.

Otherwise, nobody is going to want him, he's almost as unmovable as Redden, even without the NMC.
If he waives his NTC, he's going to choose where he wants to go poor team or rich team.

04-30-2010, 07:04 PM
NeilYoung

I don't see the caps biting on this deal
I like Drury and all his cap hit is just to much
and if Semin is traded I doubt we would take on an even bigger cap hit in Drury
I'd do Semin for Anisomov and Sangunetti though

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:07 PM
darko

Quote:

To NYR:

Zero chance of that happening. Soon they'll be in cap strife as well with Backstron and Semin due for significant pay rises. With Staal off limits they would ask for Del Zotto. There is no way they do that still..

They would get some serious intangibles though if the deal went through. IMO that's what they lacked against Habs.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:12 PM
NeilYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Zero chance of that happening. Soon they'll be in cap strife as well with Backstron and Semin due for significant pay rises. With Staal off limits they would ask for Del Zotto. There is no way they do that still..

They would get some serious intangibles though if the deal went through. IMO that's what they lacked against Habs.
The thing is you don't need to spend 7 million dollars on intangibles
and Semins not getting a raise hes gone this summer or next

NeilYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:13 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
We joke about it, but we all saw the missing "intangibles" in the series with Montreal. An impressive amount of young offensive minded talent built around perhaps the best single player in the game, ousted in round one.

Can't blame the goal tending either.

Old
04-30-2010, 07:16 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
and Semins not getting a raise hes gone this summer or next

haha I was joking about intangibles.

You dont see Caps bringing Semin back? Asking for too much?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:18 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsGreat08AO View Post
You'd like to think so, but what if the Caps are a tweak or two away from finding the right mix to go all the way. They surly are full of talented players, good goaltending.

They appeared somewhat out-coached to me, or rather some of the players were just not playing as if they were coached...

Chris Drury has won the Stanley cup on teams where he didnt have to be THE GUY.... although he often stepped up to be THE GUY in the big games. Right place, right time...

He's been mediocre in New York. But he could be just what the Caps need to get them to the next level in the playoffs. Add a quality D man and it could be a win win for both teams as they approach crunch time

Old
04-30-2010, 07:22 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
If Glen Sather could ever turn Chris Drury into Alex Semin it would be the biggest heist of all time.
He basically turned Gomez into Gaborik + McDonagh + Prust because he timed his moves correctly, or luckily.

Either way I'm through under estimating Glen Sather as a trader

Old
04-30-2010, 07:26 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

To NYR:
I think you got it right. Drury + Girardi for future considerations. Perhaps a conditional 2nd round pick. Moving those two guys would instantly clear ~8.5M in cap space. Dumping Redden would add another 7M. That would be more than enough to sign all our guys who need to be re-upped and still have money left to go after a big UFA forward. I like it!

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 07:42 PM
ThirdEye

Actually, the Caps would probably be a perfect fit for someone like Drury. However, he just makes way too much freaking money. It's not in the cards

Also, I don't think he wants to go to Washington. I just don't see it. I can see him going back to Buffalo or the Avs, but that's it. I don't think he wants to be a rental

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote