HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

SportingNews.Com Oilers Preview

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 05:54 AM
PigeonCamera

vCash: 500
SportingNews.Com Oilers Preview

Thank heavens they found a Vancouver based writer to throw us a bone...blechhhhh....

Oilers season preview
09/26/2003

Iain MacIntyre
Vancouver Sun

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIE

Young, talented and exciting, the Oilers are poised to make a push up the standings and challenge the Canucks and Wild, if not the Avalanche, in the Northwest Division.

TRUTH

G Tommy Salo is inconsistent at inopportune times; D Eric Brewer is relied upon too much; and the offense, which had a breakthrough 2002-03, won't be the same without restricted free-agent C Mike Comrie, who hasn't been signed and likely will be traded.

SECRET

LW Ryan Smyth, one of the best cornermen in the league, was being used as a first-line center to replace Comrie in training camp. Smyth looked good, but he must pass to himself for the Oilers to score. LW Fernando Pisani was Smyth's linemate of note. Although coach Craig MacTavish dropped the idea of using Smyth as a center near the end of camp, don't be surprised if the lines are juggled throughout the season and Smyth makes an occasional appearance in the middle. If Comrie is traded, more pressure will be put on C Shawn Horcoff to deliver offense. LW Mike York also might get a shot at center. Regardless, the loss of C Todd Marchant, who signed with Columbus, and the possibility of losing Comrie mean the Oilers are hurting for experienced centers, a deadly shortfall in a conference that includes the game's best pivots.

SCOUT'S TAKE

"For his age, they ask a lot of Brewer. Offensively, they'll have to work to score goals. What I like is their character, their confidence. They've never lost that as an organization."

Old
09-29-2003, 08:40 AM
barto

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil_85
Thank heavens they found a Vancouver based writer to throw us a bone...blechhhhh....

Oilers season preview
09/26/2003

Iain MacIntyre
Vancouver Sun

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LIE

Young, talented and exciting, the Oilers are poised to make a push up the standings and challenge the Canucks and Wild, if not the Avalanche, in the Northwest Division.

TRUTH

G Tommy Salo is inconsistent at inopportune times; D Eric Brewer is relied upon too much; and the offense, which had a breakthrough 2002-03, won't be the same without restricted free-agent C Mike Comrie, who hasn't been signed and likely will be traded.

SECRET

LW Ryan Smyth, one of the best cornermen in the league, was being used as a first-line center to replace Comrie in training camp. Smyth looked good, but he must pass to himself for the Oilers to score. LW Fernando Pisani was Smyth's linemate of note. Although coach Craig MacTavish dropped the idea of using Smyth as a center near the end of camp, don't be surprised if the lines are juggled throughout the season and Smyth makes an occasional appearance in the middle. If Comrie is traded, more pressure will be put on C Shawn Horcoff to deliver offense. LW Mike York also might get a shot at center. Regardless, the loss of C Todd Marchant, who signed with Columbus, and the possibility of losing Comrie mean the Oilers are hurting for experienced centers, a deadly shortfall in a conference that includes the game's best pivots.

SCOUT'S TAKE

"For his age, they ask a lot of Brewer. Offensively, they'll have to work to score goals. What I like is their character, their confidence. They've never lost that as an organization."
That line about Smyth having to pass to himself is pretty funny, but it's tough not to choke on, too... And yes, Pisani was playing on a line with Smyth & Izzy, but that was early in pre-season. What about Hemsky? <sigh>

And is the Smyth-at-center experiment really already over? I hadn't heard that one...

Bart

Old
09-29-2003, 10:14 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

i don't think the smyth at centre is over, i just think they went away from it for a while to explore other options, and get some new things going, he sat out last game, but as far as i know the expirement is still on-going. I'd bet hat jarrett stoll is hoping the expirement doesnt work.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:52 AM
jofa

Wow. That's the most pathetic and least informed article I've read on the Oilers in a long time. So, basically, the guy looked at a preseason lineup and made some assumptions? Like anyone in Edmonton has illusions that Pisani is a first line winger? Come on... And where is any mention of guys like Isbister, Hemsky and Dvorak?

What do they say about those in glass houses throwing stones? Considering the writer is from Vancouver, where offensive depth consists of the Sedin sisters and Mats Lindgren, I'm not sure how he can criticize the Oilers goalscoring situation. Edmonton has anywhere from six to ten players that could reach 20 goals this season. Yes, Brewer is counted on too much, but Salo is a hell of a lot more solid and dependable that the dynamic duo of Clouts and Hedberg.

Brutal brutal article.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:20 AM
IceDragoon

The first thing I did was consider the source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
That line about Smyth having to pass to himself is pretty funny, but it's tough not to choke on, too...
That's funny 'cause I chuckled and then choked when I read it this morning.
Quote:
And is the Smyth-at-center experiment really already over? I hadn't heard that one...

Bart
I think they should continue this "experiment" for a while, so Smytty becomes reasonably comfortable playing C. Then you can have him out there with Hemmer and a C who is adept at playing wing. On occassion, they could change position in mid stride and mess up opposing lines. Conceivably, this could mean more scoring chances, a few more goals, a few more PPs and more room for Hemsky's creativity. If memory serves, I think Messier did this after being moved to C.

Closed Thread