HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

4/29 Discussion - Most Polarizing Wild Player

View Poll Results: Who is the most polarizing Wild player?
Niklas Backstrom 2 15.38%
Derek Boogaard 3 23.08%
Brent Burns 4 30.77%
Nick Schultz 2 15.38%
Other (please explain) 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-29-2010, 09:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
4/29 Discussion - Most Polarizing Wild Player

I thought about this after reading through some of the comments regarding Schultz, Backstrom and Burns where people would simultaneously bash and defend each player. So who is the most polarizing Wild player and why?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 09:50 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Going with Burns. I love the guy because he has the potential still to be a great defender. I want him traded because he also has mental lapses to an extent of what Mike Green has most of the time.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:33 PM
State of Hockey

At the moment I'd say Schultz. A month ago it was Backstrom. And then Burns has been a polarizing figure for years. Same with Boogaard. Good options.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 01:52 AM
Jbcraig1883

Burns for me. Ever since he had his breakout season, was named best defenseman at the WCs, I've always thought he had so much potential to be a top-10 defenseman, only to be moved to forward, get concussed, then come back and be so hyper/inconsistent. Sometimes I think hes going to get it and sometimes I think he would be a great starting point to get some good assets back.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:05 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

went with boogaard. All good choices, but the issue surrounding Boogs isn't so much "is he living up to his potential/contract" as it is "should he even be playing hockey".

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 10:39 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I picked other - the 2 I'd pick are Miettinen and Zidlicky

Miettinen scored 20 goals, but there is a strong contingent of folks who are dissatisfied with his game.

Zidlicky also brings out a lot of defenders of his offense and critics of his defense.

Seems like polarizing is often tied to the notion that a player may be overpaid, hence Schultz and Backstrom among the choices.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I selected other because Mittens wasn't on the list. While it isn't his fault, it's a complete joke that he's on Minnesota's top line. Simply unacceptable.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I picked other - the 2 I'd pick are Miettinen and Zidlicky

Miettinen scored 20 goals, but there is a strong contingent of folks who are dissatisfied with his game.

Zidlicky also brings out a lot of defenders of his offense and critics of his defense.

Seems like polarizing is often tied to the notion that a player may be overpaid, hence Schultz and Backstrom among the choices.
Count me as one them. I just think he COMPLETELY dependent on Koivu and Bruno to score. I can't remember ever seeing him create his own goal.

However, there is something to be said about getting into scoring positions for your playmaking linemates, but, as we all saw, Kobasew jumped up to the top line and proceeded to score a hatty (and bring a level of physicality that Mittens lacks).

I don't think he is a bad player, and don't want him cut or anything, but this team isn't gonna win anything with a 3rd line talent playing on the #1 scoring line.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:23 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

How could Burns be polarizing?

You guys are nuts. The only issue I got with Burns is that he just needs to play a simple game, because even if he can pull things up, it doesn't mean he needs to. The position change, the concussions, the injuries...that stuff is/was beyond his control.

Miettinen isn't polarizing...I just think that most, if not all, agree that he shouldn't be getting top line minutes.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 09:39 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Burns' value to wild fans has taken a hit since his injury problems but I don't think many people are dismissing his potential to be a star. The polarizing issue with Burns is whether or not the return we get for him will be worth wagering that potential. Even as he struggled he'd still be one of the Wild players most in demand by other teams, and we desperately need scoring help...So, do we give him up for his value right now and kick ourselves when he becomes that star defenseman next season or do we keep him and kick ourselves for not getting that second line centerman when he continues to struggle? Risk/reward polarization.

I'm all for keeping him. I think he's fine physically--he just needs to get his head straight and his confidence back up. The Worlds ought to do the trick!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 08:53 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Burns' value to wild fans has taken a hit since his injury problems but I don't think many people are dismissing his potential to be a star. The polarizing issue with Burns is whether or not the return we get for him will be worth wagering that potential. Even as he struggled he'd still be one of the Wild players most in demand by other teams, and we desperately need scoring help...So, do we give him up for his value right now and kick ourselves when he becomes that star defenseman next season or do we keep him and kick ourselves for not getting that second line centerman when he continues to struggle? Risk/reward polarization.

I'm all for keeping him. I think he's fine physically--he just needs to get his head straight and his confidence back up. The Worlds ought to do the trick!
If there's an analogy, its Brent Burns = Francisco Liriano. We were all down on Frank last year, who was clearly recovering from Tommy John, and now he's king *****. It's taken Burns time to recover from the various injuries, and you could see that he's returning to form, thank god he'll be playing at the World Championships.

I cannot overstate enough that if you have an impact player on your blueline (especially a guy who can attack like a forward on the rush) you have to keep him. Even if we dealt burns...there's no guarantee that the return works out, and even then, our Blueline isn't overly impressive to where they have to be accounted for game in and game out.
I still think that he hasn't reached his ceiling yet.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
I still think that he hasn't reached his ceiling yet.
Agreed. The guy is 25 and about to enter his prime. If he stays healthy, he will be a beast in this league.

Old
05-01-2010, 10:51 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Agreed. The guy is 25 and about to enter his prime. If he stays healthy, he will be a beast in this league.
Hard to say he's about to enter his prime because of his age. That is like saying you magically can tolerate alcohol because your 21. However, yes I do agree he hasn't peaked even remotely close yet at this time. We will see how the next 2-3 years go. If he can be consistent at around the 60pt margin that he is fully capable of, then we can firmly say he's in his prime.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:20 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Hard to say he's about to enter his prime because of his age. That is like saying you magically can tolerate alcohol because your 21. However, yes I do agree he hasn't peaked even remotely close yet at this time. We will see how the next 2-3 years go. If he can be consistent at around the 60pt margin that he is fully capable of, then we can firmly say he's in his prime.
I think experience and maturity can only help smooth out the remaining problems in Burns' game.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:23 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I think experience and maturity can only help smooth out the remaining problems in Burns' game.
experience more than maturity. I love that the guy acts like he's 13

Old
05-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
experience more than maturity. I love that the guy acts like he's 13
Yes, that's true. Let's say maturity in his hockey thinking process.

Old
05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Yes, that's true. Let's say maturity in his hockey thinking process.
That's the key right there.

Old
05-02-2010, 11:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
While it isn't his fault, it's a complete joke that he's on Minnesota's top line. Simply unacceptable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
Miettinen isn't polarizing...I just think that most, if not all, agree that he shouldn't be getting top line minutes.
That's why I didn't put him on there. You don't see any Miettinen defenders like Backstrom, Schultz or Burns.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote