HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

Old
04-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Try putting the puck closer to yur front foot and hit the ice a little earlier.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:18 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajic View Post
i havnt really gotten any good info out of here no offence... but
Well hurry up and get your slapper video up here so we can help you out!

Quote:
Where should i be hitting it, right down the center of the blade right? Positioning of the legs, and transfering tips?
You want the puck to connect with the blade between the center and heel, probably a bit closer to the center.

Off ice you set the puck up lined up with your front foot, step into the shot and transfer weight onto your front foot. On ice you line it up an inch or so behind your front foot, and as you rotate your shoulders / shoot you open your front foot so you can derive more power from your core muscles. (harder to do with shoes on)

If you put the puck further forward in your stance you will be able to lift it a bit easier.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Try putting the puck closer to yur front foot and hit the ice a little earlier.
woops didn't see this here

Also you've got a good slapper. Your form is good, I think the only way to really improve is to get a radar gun and tweak this and that. It would be interesting to see your speed

Some workouts to target specific muscles would help to (we'll be getting to that down the road)

Old
04-30-2010, 12:22 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
Is anyone else anxiously awaiting Hockeyfan68's contribution to this thread?
We'll finally have a good stretch of dry weather ... sun is out this weekend!

We had rain all week and today we had 45mph gusts and cold.

I plan on editing three seperate ones, shooting slappers with a woodie, a compo and an aluminum shaft with a wood blade for fashizzles.

No radar gun sorry, can't use what I don't have but the naked eye should at least say "hey those are hard". The thread though is about form and mechanics etc. The videos may be more useful for that maybe.

We'll see, I'll make some vid this weekend and edit then upload to Youtube or some other webhost or whatever.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 12:26 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
woops didn't see this here

Also you've got a good slapper. Your form is good, I think the only way to really improve is to get a radar gun and tweak this and that. It would be interesting to see your speed

Some workouts to target specific muscles would help to (we'll be getting to that down the road)
So far in this thread I have noticed virtually everyone in it has good form but poor shot power because they are not using their legs and dropping down low to shoot.

Jarick's is a damned good shot in here and really I have no critique on his shot. He has his own thing going pretty good there and the goal of even more power should not be hard for him at all because it already has some decent velocity.

Old
04-30-2010, 09:40 AM
SiouxPride

Quote:
Well hurry up and get your slapper video up here so we can help you out!

You want the puck to connect with the blade between the center and heel, probably a bit closer to the center.

Off ice you set the puck up lined up with your front foot, step into the shot and transfer weight onto your front foot. On ice you line it up an inch or so behind your front foot, and as you rotate your shoulders / shoot you open your front foot so you can derive more power from your core muscles. (harder to do with shoes on)

If you put the puck further forward in your stance you will be able to lift it a bit easier.
That sounds good thanks, im going to shoot today if its stops raining, ill be sure to concentrate of transfer power.

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'd love to get a gun but just have no money. I'm already several hundred dollars behind my household budget and that means no new gear for a while

If I can sell some stuff on Craigslist I will be getting a 60 flex shaft though. I'm going to try and hit up the range if it's not raining tomorrow and use my longer (but stiffer) stick.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot399 View Post
not the best but i pretty much only take wrist shots in a real game
You would get a lot more power if you drop down more and use your leg drive turning your hips into the shot. Looks good but a weak shot.

I have seen a lot of that in here so this was a great idea for a thread. it should help everyone out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'd love to get a gun but just have no money. I'm already several hundred dollars behind my household budget and that means no new gear for a while

If I can sell some stuff on Craigslist I will be getting a 60 flex shaft though. I'm going to try and hit up the range if it's not raining tomorrow and use my longer (but stiffer) stick.
I've been pretty poor myself ... the economy is not getting better despite the current admin telling us it is and everyone is starting to get jobs again.

Things won't be good for me until retail starts spending money on remodelling their stores or building new ones ... I don't see that happening any time soon.

I want a Bauer One95 stick, 2 Harrow one piece sticks, new skates in the $400 doallar range preferrably, etc etc etc.

Right now all money gets diverted to the house and car payments.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-01-2010 at 12:39 AM.
Old
04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Hrad

I say Beavboyz lets all participants borrow his radar gun. I'm pretty curious to see my speed, but I'm not about to dish out over $100 to find out ^.^

I've got to see myself on camera taking a slapshot, I'm scared that my form is going to be too embarrassing to post here
I do however have half-decent spped.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

No radar here, but here it goes. I had been shooting for a while beforehand, so I was somewhat tired, especially at the end.

I noticed about two or three things that bothered me, they didn't occur on every shot, but anyway.

Last edited by WhipNash27: 04-30-2010 at 02:43 PM.
WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Skraut

It's hard to see your body mechanics from that angle.

I'll probably put up a video soon. Trying to talk a cop buddy of mine to pull the radar gun out of his cruiser and try it out on my shots.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 03:45 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Okay, probably 2/3 of my hockey team are cops, ONE of them has to have access to a radar gun. At our next practice I'm going to bug the guys to see if one of them can sneak one in.

Old
04-30-2010, 04:20 PM
SERE 24
LGR

A lot of guys not turning their wrists over on their follow through. Not the biggest deal, but it does help. Most just kind of leaving the blade, open, facing where they let the shot go.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:47 PM
boot399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
You would get a lot more power if you drop down more and use your leg drive turning your hips into the shot. Looks good but a weak shot.

I have seen a lot of that in here so this was a great idea for a thread. it should everyone out

I've been pretty poor myself ... the economy is not getting better despite the current admin telling us it is and everyone is starting to get jobs again.

Things won't be good for me until retail starts spending money on remodelling their stores or building new ones ... I don't see that happening any time soon.

I want a Bauer One95 stick, 2 Harrow one piece sticks, new skates in the $400 doallar range preferrably, etc etc etc.

Right now all money gets diverted to the house and car payments.
WOW! i just did this and my shots are 75% faster! and the bottem of my stick is getting torn even more haha thanks alot dude! i will upload a video soon!

boot399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 06:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
A lot of guys not turning their wrists over on their follow through. Not the biggest deal, but it does help. Most just kind of leaving the blade, open, facing where they let the shot go.
That was one of the things that I noticed for me. Half the time I did, half the time I didn't.

There was something else I noticed that bothered me, but I forgot.

Also, idk if it was the angle or the ground I was shooting on, but I slowed it down and I noticed no bend on the shaft .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:41 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
yeah the name slapshot is a misnomer really since the puck isn't slapped, you sir get a big cookie for correctly identifying that.

Old
05-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
No radar here, but here it goes. I had been shooting for a while beforehand, so I was somewhat tired, especially at the end.

I noticed about two or three things that bothered me, they didn't occur on every shot, but anyway.

Okay I noticed something besides what you pointed out already about not following through on the shot with a wrist turnover thingamahoozie .... slapping the puck instead of actually launching it but anyway ... I think you turn your hips and use leg drive before you shoot so when the stick blade hits the pucks you have already turned your body through the shot motion of your body and it is almost the same as standing sideways and shooting at a standstill almost. It looks like you are doing two different things in sequence rather than all in one motion.

your leg drive and dropping down looks good, just the timing thing. The timing is off I guess, I suck at describing it. I suck at describing most things.

I had a hard time seeing your actual physical body as you were off camera, I like Jarick's videos the best so far because he had a front on and behind view.

I did really like the camera jerk when you shot like it was filmed by Rob Zombie or something. That was cool, it gave it life!

I'm always afrad when giving advice that some people may get offended, do get offended though if I am wrong and tell me so haha. Not being able to see all of you when shooting doesn't help much ... but 'from what I saw' that is my opinion.

I have to use avi video on a regular digital camera but the framerate is excellent and looks like a home video camera instead of a digital photo camera that shoots video.

I really want to get some video done this weekend. Thanks for posting yours, this thread is very cool. Everyone so far has great upper body shooting motions, it is just the leg drive issues. I really honestly believe the leg drive makes the slapshot or any shot really rather than arm strength which is why you see little pukes shoot really hard sometimes.

Good mechanics is worth a million bucks.

Quote:
WOW! i just did this and my shots are 75% faster! and the bottem of my stick is getting torn even more haha thanks alot dude! i will upload a video soon!
Well that's cool, that is what beavboyz had in mind here.

these days since i shoot well I practicew shooting without looking at the puck while looking at my target or sometimes faking looking one side for the goalie and shooting to the other. That takes some concentration to do it well and i practice it because I am not where I want it yet. The other thing i work on with shooting is shooting across my body while skating in the opposite direction I am shooting, that is probably the hardest slapshot besides the onetimer. Goalies hate it when they are tracking you with their little side steps and you go to the opposite side they are expecting.

For this thread though I am just going to rip like crazy nonsense to get full velocity rather than accuracy. I take some off of it for the accurate stuff when that is actually called for kinda of like precision bombing .... it feels good to pick a spot from inside the blueline and hit it perfectly with a very hard slapshot especially off the pipe. I swear it is a drug that I wish I could bottle.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-01-2010 at 01:04 AM.
Old
05-01-2010, 04:38 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
First off good job! I find one of the biggest problems (judging by the video responses) is using all arms.

With a slapshot you should derive power from
  • Legs
  • Core Muscles
  • Shoulders and Arms
  • Stick
  • Weight transfer (which goes hand in hand with using your legs)

I am working on a big article that will cover all this

as for the blade of your stick Bring a roll of hockey tape with you. I put a strip on the bottom of my blade after every 20-30 shots, or when I smell burning
Shooting off of a hockey shooting pad helps as well

Old
05-01-2010, 08:41 AM
boot399

Quote:
First off good job! I find one of the biggest problems (judging by the video responses) is using all arms.

With a slapshot you should derive power from
  • Legs
  • Core Muscles
  • Shoulders and Arms
  • Stick
  • Weight transfer (which goes hand in hand with using your legs)

I am working on a big article that will cover all this

as for the blade of your stick Bring a roll of hockey tape with you. I put a strip on the bottom of my blade after every 20-30 shots, or when I smell burning
Shooting off of a hockey shooting pad helps as well
well i am probably gonna buy another one soon there only 50 bucks not that bad

Old
05-01-2010, 08:48 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
well i am probably gonna buy another one soon there only 50 bucks not that bad
You should always do your best and try to keep hockey equipment, especially sticks and blades in good shape. If you start the sport thinking oh the blades are only 50 bucks, after a few years you could have saved hundreds of dollars just by taking better care of stuff. Just my 0,02$.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:56 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
You should always do your best and try to keep hockey equipment, especially sticks and blades in good shape. If you start the sport thinking oh the blades are only 50 bucks, after a few years you could have saved hundreds of dollars just by taking better care of stuff. Just my 0,02$.
I just buy cheap wood sticks for outdoor use. The hockey team here likes to play roller on the tennis courts once the season is over for us so I can't do all of my shooting off a board. It still adds up to $$ that could have been saved over the years, but even so, better off to ruin a $19 stick than replace a $50 blade every time (or in my case, worse since I like one-piece). I also use composites that I know are breaking from use during the season because they're on their last leg anyway.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 02:16 PM
boot399

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
believe me i treat my equipment like there babys haha i am only 13 and get 10 bucks every 2 weeks for allowance so i am gonna make this stick last as long as i possibly can

Old
05-01-2010, 04:02 PM
PDO

Send a message via AIM to PDO
What are you guys shooting off?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 04:18 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
What are you guys shooting off?
Hockey shooting pad

Old
05-01-2010, 04:37 PM
Hrad

Quote:
About those things...You can't actually stickhandle that well with a regular puck on them right? They'd still flop if you moved them too fast.

Is that why you use the green biscuit for the stickhandling? Does it flip around at all or is it still not that good?

I need something for actual stickhandling...I have a smart ball but I wanted to get something that's an actual puck, so I'm hoping that skill pad + green biscuit will do the trick.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote