HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Prospects Thread (NCAA, Juniors, International, ECHL, Other) *Part 4*

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2010, 01:13 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

vCash: 500
Let me throw another unpleasant angle into this debate -- if McDonagh stays at Wisconsin for his senior season and then decides not to sign with the Rangers, he will ultimately become a free agent. Perhaps that is what he is thinking. We could get Blaked here.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:21 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Let me throw another unpleasant angle into this debate -- if McDonagh stays at Wisconsin for his senior season and then decides not to sign with the Rangers, he will ultimately become a free agent. Perhaps that is what he is thinking. We could get Blaked here.
Or he has no intention of playing hockey after college. Doubtful though.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
heh. Maybe the Habs knew something about him we didn't. Lets hope not.

Old
04-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Levitate

Quote:
This is exactly another thing I worry about

Old
04-28-2010, 01:53 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If the Rangers don't sign McDonagh by 8/15/11,the Rangers will receive a 2nd round pick(#42)in the 2012 draft. McDonagh was the 12th pick in the 2007 draft.

Quote:
In the event a Club loses its draft rights to an Unsigned Draft Choice
drafted in the first round of the Entry Draft (except as a result of failing to tender a
required Bona Fide Offer (as defined below)), who is again eligible for the Entry Draft or
becomes an Unrestricted Free Agent, a Compensatory Draft Selection shall automatically
be granted to that Club, which Compensatory Draft Selection shall be the same numerical
choice in the second round in the Entry Draft immediately following the date the Club
loses such rights. By way of example, if a Club cannot sign the third pick in the first
round, it will receive the third pick in the second round as compensation.
You learn something everyday. So the Rangers talked to McDonagh's advisor/agent or whatever they are called today during the season about his playing future. Which one of you has contacted the NCAA to investigate that claim? We'll get McDonagh declared ineligible and then he'll sign the contract.

January 10

Quote:
There was speculation following the tournament that Team USA captain and Rangers' draft pick Derek Stepan would bolt Wisconsin to play junior hockey, but Slap Shots was told on Friday by a well-placed source that the center will complete his sophomore year with the Badgers.

The Blueshirts, we're told, believe Stepan needs another year of development either at school or in junior hockey before he's ready to turn pro, but are keenly interested in getting Wisconsin defenseman Ryan McDonagh -- acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez deal -- into the organization following the completion of this, his junior season.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz0mQF63mYR

March 17

Quote:
While not in on Wellman, the Blueshirts are paying close attention to defenseman Ryan McDonough and center Derek Stepan, two University of Wisconsin undergrads whose rights they own and who may opt out of school either after the season or the semester.

The Badgers are currently in the WCHA Tournament that will lead up to the NCAA's. If McDonagh, the junior defenseman acquired from Montreal in the Scott Gomez trade, leaves school after the tournament, the Rangers will likely attempt to sign him to a contract so he can finish the season with the AHL Wolf Pack.

Rangers personnel regard McDonagh, selected 12th overall by the Canadiens in the 2007 Entry Draft, as a stay-at-home defenseman who could challenge for a spot next year. Currently on the Blueshirts' reserve list, McDonagh would be eligible to play in this year's Stanley Cup playoffs if he is under contract.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz0mQFN1Q22

Gordie Clark told Jim Cerny the Rangers feel McDonagh is a year away. December 1

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/search.h...ark&view=audio

Old
04-28-2010, 01:57 PM
NYR Viper

Considering neither the Rangers or the Wolfpack are playing right now what is the rush? I am sure he is busy with finals and projects and other things like that(I know I am) so why not allow him to finish his year and then sit down with him? That is how I would do it with McDonagh who is very much into his studies and a very driven person. let him concentrate and then talk to him.

Old
04-28-2010, 02:16 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Considering neither the Rangers or the Wolfpack are playing right now what is the rush? I am sure he is busy with finals and projects and other things like that(I know I am) so why not allow him to finish his year and then sit down with him? That is how I would do it with McDonagh who is very much into his studies and a very driven person. let him concentrate and then talk to him.
My friend finished school this week at Michigan. She is coming home this week. Most of these schools have the same schedules.

The Rangers signed Lee Baldwin,Cameron Talbot and MZA because they were free agents and other teams were competing for their services.

That's one way to rationalize the claim about the Rangers not supposedly trying to sign McDonagh.

Old
04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
My friend finished school this week at Michigan. She is coming home this week. Most of these schools have the same schedules.

The Rangers signed Lee Baldwin,Cameron Talbot and MZA because they were free agents and other teams were competing for their services.

That's one way to rationalize the claim about the Rangers not supposedly trying to sign McDonagh.
I am surprised they finish so early. UB, the school I attend, finishes up the 5th of May and that is very early as compared to all of my friends. Although, that is the last day of finals, some finish up before that.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:24 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Columbus announced the Golubef signing this morning. Will be assigned to the AHL to start the season.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Most schools finish within the next two weeks.

Old
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I am surprised they finish so early. UB, the school I attend, finishes up the 5th of May and that is very early as compared to all of my friends. Although, that is the last day of finals, some finish up before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
May 16th

RANGERS =
Old
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
how did Baldwin look down the stretch for Hartford? Not A guy we'd expect to compete with Sangs, Sauer, Gilroy, and Valentenko next year I assume.

Old
04-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Mgd31

This probably has been posted already.

But I go to BC, and my friend overheard that Kreider might be in line to play for the US in the World Championships

Pretty impressive if you ask me.

As a Devils fan I don't want to root for Kreider, but as an Eagles fan I must admit, he should turn out to be a great player

Old
04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGD31 View Post
This probably has been posted already.

But I go to BC, and my friend overheard that Kreider might be in line to play for the US in the World Championships

Pretty impressive if you ask me.

As a Devils fan I don't want to root for Kreider, but as an Eagles fan I must admit, he should turn out to be a great player
Yep, being discussed in the World Championships thread. Thanks for mentioning it here though.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=762392&page=3

It's just pain.
Old
04-29-2010, 07:17 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Goloubef (pronounced Go-luh-bef) becomes the first underclassman to leave the Badgers this offseason, and his departure does not come as a surprise. Fellow junior defenseman Brendan Smith, a first-round pick of the Detroit Red Wings and one of the top scoring blueliners in the nation, also is expected to bypass his final year in Madison.

Two other players -- junior defenseman and co-captain Ryan McDonagh, and sophomore center Derek Stephan -- could reasonably make the jump to the NHL ranks, although Stepan has consistently maintained that he plans to return
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c002e0.html

McDonagh hasn't said anything about his future.

Old
04-30-2010, 06:11 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
There are growing signs that junior tri-captain Ryan McDonagh, a former first-round NHL draft pick of Montreal whose rights were traded to the New York Rangers, is leaning toward coming back.

A week removed from being named UW captain for 2010-11 a role he covets McDonagh has not been approached by the Rangers to talk about his future. Those close to McDonagh say he's not completely set a course for next season, but that he's not wrapped up in the notion of turning pro
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Looks like Chuck was right. The Rangers haven't approached McDonagh who would be an absolute fool to stay in school. Captain of a rebuilding team? That's going to help his career development.

McDonagh hasn't made a decision for next season but that's not what some "blogger" wrote last week.

Why haven't the Rangers contacted McDonagh's agent?

Old
04-30-2010, 07:39 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Yeah I go to SUNY Oneonta, not done til the 17th .

But back on topic, as a fellow student, I'm glad he's trying to finish school (as a Ranger fan I'm obviously not though). Guys leave school too early in some sports and sometimes don't even go, and then wind up having a horrid pro career and realize they are screwed.

Old
04-30-2010, 07:40 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
http://host.madison.com/sports/colle...cc4c03286.html

Looks like Chuck was right. The Rangers haven't approached McDonagh who would be an absolute fool to stay in school. Captain of a rebuilding team? That's going to help his career development.

McDonagh hasn't made a decision for next season but that's not what some "blogger" wrote last week.

Why haven't the Rangers contacted McDonagh's agent?
Because it's the Rangers we're dealing with here. Lol.

Old
04-30-2010, 12:10 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Yeah I go to SUNY Oneonta, not done til the 17th .

But back on topic, as a fellow student, I'm glad he's trying to finish school (as a Ranger fan I'm obviously not though). Guys leave school too early in some sports and sometimes don't even go, and then wind up having a horrid pro career and realize they are screwed.
Umm, you can always go back and finish a degree

Old
04-30-2010, 01:02 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
Umm, you can always go back and finish a degree
I believe that is what R.J Umberger is doing this summer.

Old
05-01-2010, 09:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Cody Goloubef contract

3 years/$2.35 million

$65,000 AHL

$737,500
$737,500
$875,000

2nd round pick in 2008

Jamie McBain got less AHL money($62,500). Less NHL money plus performance bonuses.

Both left school after their junior seasons.

When the Rangers make McDonagh their offer soon,McDonagh would be foolish to turn it down.

AHL?His boy McBain spent 1/2 of the season in the AHL. Cody will spend the first two years of his NHL contract in the AHL. He should have stayed for his senior season.

Old
05-01-2010, 05:33 PM
free0717

Quote:
The reason Wheeler did not sign with the Yotes because that franchise is so unstable, Wheeler decided he did not want to play there. Most players want to play for the Rangers. They treat there players first class, and they are an original 6. Unless Sather tries to lowball him, there is no way the rangers lose this prospect. I think McDonough just wants another crack at the National Championship.

I kinda like the loyalty and I think another year @ Wisconson will leave McD very polished. I think he plays for us in 11-12 and never sees the AHL. The same for Stepan in 12-13.

I also wouldnt be suprised if Krieder spends all 4 years @ BC.

Old
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post
The reason Wheeler did not sign with the Yotes because that franchise is so unstable.
That's true, but there have been other college players who have played the free agent card so they could pick where they wanted to play. Wheeler wanted to play with his buddy Kessel. wheeler just happens to be the most famous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by free0717 View Post

I also wouldnt be suprised if Krieder spends all 4 years @ BC.
I would be shocked. In fact, depending on how he shows in the World tournament, I don't think it is impossible he signs this summer. Next year for sure.

Old
05-01-2010, 06:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Wheeler's agent is Matt Keator, If you look at Keator's MO,all of his players go UFA. Whether its Mike Komisarek or Zdeno Chara or Blake Wheeler. Keator also reps Chris Higgins who will be lucky to receive a decent NHL deal this summer. Keator also reps Chris Kreider.

Old
05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
free0717

Quote:
I would be shocked. In fact, depending on how he shows in the World tournament, I don't think it is impossible he signs this summer. Next year for sure.
I wouldnt be. When they drafted him, he said his dream was to play college hockey in Boston. He was happy to be drafted by the Rangers but didnt say his dream was to play in the NHL. The kid walks to a different beat. I dont know if his parents have $$$, but getting $$$ now doesnt seem to be on this kids agenda. How many 18 year old kids from Boston want to learn how to speak russian.

Closed Thread