HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hamhuis House For Sale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2010, 06:08 PM
  #1
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Hamhuis House For Sale

Ut Oh. Either Dan's been told he's not coming back or he's hedging the strong possibilty they will not give him a competitive bid because the sign is in his yard. Given the length of time houses are sitting, he could be getting a jump on it just in case.

However, with 15 players adding up to $41mm, and an implied cap of $47mm, $6mm to sign at least 8 players does not leave minimum $3mm to sign Dan. Dan would take a home-town discount but Preds can't get even that close. They'll have to replace him with a rookie at close to the min.

Since most of our highest paid players have no trade clauses, our only hope is Arnie or Dumont agree to waive their clauses, we move them for draft picks, then spend the freed up money.

Don't count on it. Arnie and Dumont are being paid over their current value so doubt anyone would trade picks and have to eat the salares.

So, I'm afraid another 1st Round pick gets sent on his way due to our implied cap. Can't blame ownership. If we filled the Barn, they could spead more. This way, they spend the max while still getting full rev sharing.

No better person than Dan Hamhuis. He loves the Preds and Nashville. He doesn't want to go and would take less to stay.

BTW, for $1.5mm, you can have his house.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 06:41 PM
  #2
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,224
vCash: 500
Do you have a link to this information?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:30 PM
  #3
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,685
vCash: 500
On extremely good authority, it's true.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:37 PM
  #4
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Tennessee
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,036
vCash: 500
Don't believe.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:44 PM
  #5
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Do you have a link to this information?
I drove by his house today. Zeitlin Reality. Front Lawn. It's there. Must have just happened within the last 2 days.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:34 PM
  #6
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Ut Oh. Either Dan's been told he's not coming back or he's hedging the strong possibilty they will not give him a competitive bid because the sign is in his yard. Given the length of time houses are sitting, he could be getting a jump on it just in case.

However, with 15 players adding up to $41mm, and an implied cap of $47mm, $6mm to sign at least 8 players does not leave minimum $3mm to sign Dan. Dan would take a home-town discount but Preds can't get even that close. They'll have to replace him with a rookie at close to the min.

Since most of our highest paid players have no trade clauses, our only hope is Arnie or Dumont agree to waive their clauses, we move them for draft picks, then spend the freed up money.

Don't count on it. Arnie and Dumont are being paid over their current value so doubt anyone would trade picks and have to eat the salares.

So, I'm afraid another 1st Round pick gets sent on his way due to our implied cap. Can't blame ownership. If we filled the Barn, they could spead more. This way, they spend the max while still getting full rev sharing.

No better person than Dan Hamhuis. He loves the Preds and Nashville. He doesn't want to go and would take less to stay.

BTW, for $1.5mm, you can have his house.
This is why Poile is a piece of ****

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:43 PM
  #7
predfan98
Registered User
 
predfan98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,508
vCash: 500
You know there are a lot of figures flying around, with the implication being Hamhuis would take $3 Million and would stay.

Come on people...............

If you have talked to Dan and he would take $3 million to stay, jump up and go talk to Poile. Cause I bet he'd do it in a heartbeat.

I think Dan Hamhuis is an awesome person and would love for him to stay. But I bet he gets a lot closer to 5 mill somewhere.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:51 PM
  #8
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
We traded a high pick for Grebeshkov, an RFA whom Fenton and Poile both admitted to coveting for some time. His QO is around 3.2 million, I believe.

To me, that's the magic Hamhuis number. They made that trade knowing that if it looks like Hamhuis isn't going to sign for 3-3.5 a season, we can't afford him, and at least have a builtin replacement(at least in roster spot).

Just my take on it.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 11:40 PM
  #9
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,727
vCash: 500
Maybe he sells this house, buys a cheaper one and takes a discount to stay in Nashville... maybe?

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 11:57 PM
  #10
dulzhok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
No better person than Dan Hamhuis. He loves the Preds and Nashville. He doesn't want to go and would take less to stay.
How much less? 3.5m instead of 4m?

Also, there is no way to know how much money he would get on the open market until he actually hits the open market.

I'm all about us spending some money to have a better team. But, I don't think investing a ton of money in Hamhuis is the right move for us going forward. Maybe if we plan on trading one of Suter or Weber in the next year. Even if, Hamhuis gets burned way to much 1 on 1 for my liking. For every nice hip check, there are 10 drive-by's. He doesn't have much presence front of the net. He's not great on the PK. All in all, I think he's replaceable by a decent vet. Note: this does not mean I think we should count on Blum, Josi, or any other rookie to replace him.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:03 AM
  #11
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Please no one post Hamhuis' address or any other personal info related to Hamhuis or his family. Obviously, Dan and his wife and children deserve privacy in their personal lives and if you had a legitimate interest in purchasing the house, you would use a real estate agent and not be seeking out the address on a Internet message board.

The conversation thus far has been fine. I'm just making a pre-empitive strike here...personally I find this tidbit of info very interesting...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:12 AM
  #12
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
I don't see it as that big a loss if he does walk. Aside from being a staple of the defense for a long time and a well known name with the fans the Predators have a deep enough defense without him. They might need to sign a cheap dman to take up his defensive minutes but other than that I don't see it as being a huge issue.

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:30 AM
  #13
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
This is why Poile is a piece of ****
ok, before you shoot your mouth off, just exactly how much less would he take to stay? Im sure poile would listen to an offer thats with in his budget, but you cant expect miracles. Who do you want, Hammer, or Suter? Because unless Hammer will sign for no more than 2 years and no more than 2.5 mil a year, you cant have both. Suter will get a Legwand type deal of 6-8 years in length at the end of his current deal. Weber will get a similar deal the year before. having 2 superstar defensmen will strain the budget as it is. having 3 is a luxury we just plain cant afford.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:44 AM
  #14
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,708
vCash: 500
No surprises here from my point of view. I am fully expecting to see Hammer walk this off season. We can't afford him and he deserves to cash in.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:09 AM
  #15
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,486
vCash: 500
Grebehskov, as many of us expected when he was acquired, will soften the loss of Hamhuis, but we're still going to have to bring someone in to play on that second pairing, preferably an older player who can bring playoff experience. My vote is for one of the Sabres, Lydman or Tallinder. I can't really imagine either of them netting north of $3M, and it keeps Klein on the third pairing where he belongs.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 06:06 AM
  #16
goalscorer
Registered User
 
goalscorer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Paducah, Ky
Posts: 330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Grebehskov, as many of us expected when he was acquired, will soften the loss of Hamhuis, but we're still going to have to bring someone in to play on that second pairing, preferably an older player who can bring playoff experience. My vote is for one of the Sabres, Lydman or Tallinder. I can't really imagine either of them netting north of $3M, and it keeps Klein on the third pairing where he belongs.
If Grebs is here next season, why would we have to bring in a vet d-man? I havent seen him play enough to know how reliable he is, but for the majority of the season Hammer played with Klein (2nd pairing) and Franson with Frankie. So take Dan out, plug Grebs there and let Cody play with Frank. Would probably be a slight down grade, but if we cant sign Hams wouldnt that be the obvious solution? Now if Grebs and Hammer are gone than yeah we need to bring in a vet to help balance the d-core.

I agree 100% that Klein needs to be on the 3rd pairing (or outta Nashville all together, if I had my way). But if Grebs stays and we bring in a vet d-man wouldnt that push Franson out, assuming we re-sign Buillion?

goalscorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:27 AM
  #17
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,425
vCash: 500
I don't see this as particularly ominous. I see this as Hamhius hedging his bets. Houses of this profile take a LONG time to move in a good market, and this is not a good market. He can list it and put contingencies and veto a deal if he reaches an agreement to stay at the last minute.

That said, I still see it as a long shot based on what he is likely to command on the market and what Nashville's self-imposed budget is.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:31 AM
  #18
ILikeItILoveIt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 215
vCash: 500
New Information!!!

Dan put his house on the market as a precaution, in case he doesn't come back. There's been no communication between him and Poile yet.

This is good news. Still a long shot on him staying. Would have to be long term with heavier money post-Arnott-Dumont-Sully.

I don't get the Let-Hammer-Go-Sign-Grebs approach. Grebs made more money than Hammer this year. Why sign Grebs for $0.5mm less than you could get Hammer for.

All things equal, I'd rather have Hammer. Grebs is Zids-lite. He's a pinchin' mo-fo with good offensive instincts but a defensive liability. Hammer can play O and D and is a better overall value.

Plus he's an original Pred and better for the franchise than Grebs. I don't think we'll end up with either. I'm thinking Suts-Webs-Klein-Cube-Cody-Sulzer-Blum. Cheapest D approach. If we want more stability, we sign a stay-at-home vet for less than $1mm.

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:34 AM
  #19
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Dan put his house on the market as a precaution, in case he doesn't come back. There's been no communication between him and Poile yet.

This is good news. Still a long shot on him staying. Would have to be long term with heavier money post-Arnott-Dumont-Sully.

I don't get the Let-Hammer-Go-Sign-Grebs approach. Grebs made more money than Hammer this year. Why sign Grebs for $0.5mm less than you could get Hammer for.

All things equal, I'd rather have Hammer. Grebs is Zids-lite. He's a pinchin' mo-fo with good offensive instincts but a defensive liability. Hammer can play O and D and is a better overall value.

Plus he's an original Pred and better for the franchise than Grebs. I don't think we'll end up with either. I'm thinking Suts-Webs-Klein-Cube-Cody-Sulzer-Blum. Cheapest D approach. If we want more stability, we sign a stay-at-home vet for less than $1mm.
1) Hamhuis is expected to get 4 million on the open market which is fair value for him.

2) Grebs could be signed for less than his 3.1 million. Which would be nearly a million less than Hamhuis' expected value. Also, even if Hamhuis did give a discount it STILL would be more than Grebs' 3.1

3) All of this is predicated on moving a big salary.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:06 PM
  #20
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeItILoveIt View Post
Dan put his house on the market as a precaution, in case he doesn't come back. There's been no communication between him and Poile yet.

This is good news. Still a long shot on him staying. Would have to be long term with heavier money post-Arnott-Dumont-Sully.

I don't get the Let-Hammer-Go-Sign-Grebs approach. Grebs made more money than Hammer this year. Why sign Grebs for $0.5mm less than you could get Hammer for.

All things equal, I'd rather have Hammer. Grebs is Zids-lite. He's a pinchin' mo-fo with good offensive instincts but a defensive liability. Hammer can play O and D and is a better overall value.

Plus he's an original Pred and better for the franchise than Grebs. I don't think we'll end up with either. I'm thinking Suts-Webs-Klein-Cube-Cody-Sulzer-Blum. Cheapest D approach. If we want more stability, we sign a stay-at-home vet for less than $1mm.
the problem with hamhuis is as much about years as it is about money.

if Dumont is moved we could squeeze hammer into the budget at about 3 mil to 3.5 mil a year... but only for two years, maximum.

After next season, I expect Weber to get a 6-8 year deal at 5 mil or more. After 11-12, Suter will likely get a 6-8 year deal at 4.5 or so, akin to Leggy and Erat.

so after 11-12, we'll have somewhere around 10-11 million committed to two defensemen. there just wont be any room in the budget for a 3 to 4 mil a year #3 defenseman.

this is why we have so much defensive depth. We have two legitimate FRANCHISE defensemen... the Pronger/Neidermeyer of this generation. But what that means is the other 4 defenseman slots will continuously turn over because we can only afford to spend about 4 million aggregate on the remaining 4 slots.

If hammer wants to sign for 6 years at 2 million a year, im sure poile would do it. or if he'll take 2 years at 3.5, I suspect poile would do that as well.

but hamhuis has to think of his family... this is likely going to be his one "big" contract and he needs to make enough that he can live comfortably the rest of his life if things go badly before he is ready to sign another.

If someone out there is going to offer him 4 mil a year for 4 or 5 years, he'd be foolish not to take it, but theres just no way we can make that kind of deal without planning on letting Suter or Weber go.

edit: and all of the above is why i think we are more likely to see Grebs sign a two year deal for just under 3 mil per. Fits in the budget, and hes gone in two years when the money dries up. if Grebs wants to play hardball poile will trade his rights or possibly even take grebs to arbitration.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:31 PM
  #21
MarkMM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delta, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
If the issue is one of waiting for some of the forward contracts to expire in the next couple years, then one of the options could be to sign Hamhuis to a long-term, back-end loaded deal. Say, $3M year 1, $4M year 2, $5M years 3 and 4. It allows Nashville to solidify the blue-line until some of the newbies mature, and provides a fall-back option if one of Weber or Suter isn't re-signed or is traded. And if Weber and Suter are kept, and Nashville needs to clear cap space, a $4.25M cap hit for Hamhuis is a fair value and I'm sure a lot of teams would trade for him and Nashville can get some assets down the road. In the immediate term, since actual budget and not cap space is the problem for the coming year, his actual pay is very manageable.

MarkMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:00 PM
  #22
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
If the issue is one of waiting for some of the forward contracts to expire in the next couple years, then one of the options could be to sign Hamhuis to a long-term, back-end loaded deal. Say, $3M year 1, $4M year 2, $5M years 3 and 4. It allows Nashville to solidify the blue-line until some of the newbies mature, and provides a fall-back option if one of Weber or Suter isn't re-signed or is traded. And if Weber and Suter are kept, and Nashville needs to clear cap space, a $4.25M cap hit for Hamhuis is a fair value and I'm sure a lot of teams would trade for him and Nashville can get some assets down the road. In the immediate term, since actual budget and not cap space is the problem for the coming year, his actual pay is very manageable.
or god forbid if one of those two get injured

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 01:10 PM
  #23
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 14,242
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMM View Post
If the issue is one of waiting for some of the forward contracts to expire in the next couple years, then one of the options could be to sign Hamhuis to a long-term, back-end loaded deal. Say, $3M year 1, $4M year 2, $5M years 3 and 4. It allows Nashville to solidify the blue-line until some of the newbies mature, and provides a fall-back option if one of Weber or Suter isn't re-signed or is traded. And if Weber and Suter are kept, and Nashville needs to clear cap space, a $4.25M cap hit for Hamhuis is a fair value and I'm sure a lot of teams would trade for him and Nashville can get some assets down the road. In the immediate term, since actual budget and not cap space is the problem for the coming year, his actual pay is very manageable.
I disagree. paying him 5 million years 3 qnd 4 would mean we would tie up over 1/3 of our payroll (at least 16 million) in three defensemen. Thats just untenable given our self imposed cap. Add in the 10 million that Legwand and Erat will be making, and that only leaves about 20 million dollars for the other 17-18 players.

of all teams, we are the least able to afford to pay our #3 defenseman top pair money.


as i said before... we could possibly squeeze hammer in for the next two years, but beyond that, either Weber, Suter, or Hamhuis MUST go. Sorry but i pick hammer, and I assume so does poile.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:49 PM
  #24
glenngineer
Registered User
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,158
vCash: 500
Volde, if you're thinking we can re-sign Weber for around 5 and Suter for 4.5 you're a dreamer. If you're comparing them to the Pronger and Niedermayer of their generation and entering their primes, they're gonna command more than $6 million apiece. Teams will offer that and more on the open market. The only way we keep those two is to offer them decent money for long term deals. I don't think offering either one of them long term deals is a bad decision at all. These guys should be the cornerstone of our defense for as long as we can keep them. If I'm Poile, when Weber becomes a RFA after next season, I sit down with him and Suter and re-sign them for the same deal for the long term, somewhere in the neighborhood of $6 million/season for 8-10 years. If a guy like Campbell can make over $7 million, these guys are certainly worth at least $6 million.

Unfortunately, salaries have been thrown out of whack by deals to Bouwmeester, Campbell and Phaneuf. None of these guys are worth the money they are getting and Weber/Suter are better than all 3. Now, if you look at Keith's deal, around $5.5 million, that might be a way to approach this too. It would save us about a million a year total which is always helpful but these guys will get the money from someone else if we don't buck up so to speak.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:03 PM
  #25
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,685
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post

Unfortunately, salaries have been thrown out of whack by deals to Bouwmeester, Campbell and Phaneuf. None of these guys are worth the money they are getting and Weber/Suter are better than all 3. Now, if you look at Keith's deal, around $5.5 million, that might be a way to approach this too. It would save us about a million a year total which is always helpful but these guys will get the money from someone else if we don't buck up so to speak.
Don't forget about the absurd contract Philly gave Timonen to take him away from us. It was 8 mil a year for several years and he's making 7 this year and now it's finally getting down to what it should be.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.