HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Futility: Offensive production from the Defense

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2010, 02:12 PM
  #1
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Futility: Offensive production from the Defense

I think this is a huge area that needs to be addressed... Is there a team in this league that puts more pressure on their forwards to score? Shots are always blocked from the point....it's to the point where the D doesn't even shoot anymore...this makes their O so one dimensional...you don't really have to challenge their D and can sit back and drop another player down low to clog up/clear out the slot.

How do you think we can change this?

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:02 PM
  #2
katatoniak
Registered User
 
katatoniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Jonquiere, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,239
vCash: 500
everywhere Subban

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:20 PM
  #3
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
As much as I like Gill and Gorges...when do you ever see a shot on goal from them? Hamr and Spacek are not much better.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:26 PM
  #4
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
I think this is a huge area that needs to be addressed... Is there a team in this league that puts more pressure on their forwards to score? Shots are always blocked from the point....it's to the point where the D doesn't even shoot anymore...this makes their O so one dimensional...you don't really have to challenge their D and can sit back and drop another player down low to clog up/clear out the slot.

How do you think we can change this?
and this is why mab is in the lineup. For all his deficiencies, he's actually one of the better habs in terms of creating offense from defense.

OB has vastly improved in terms of getting his shots through, but maybe that was a product of playing with markov.... we'll see

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:36 AM
  #5
HCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: The Wild West
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,740
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
and this is why mab is in the lineup. For all his deficiencies, he's actually one of the better habs in terms of creating offense from defense.

OB has vastly improved in terms of getting his shots through, but maybe that was a product of playing with markov.... we'll see
I hadn't checked MAB's +/- until just now and I was horrified to see that he was a -9. His PP performance helps to offset that, but a -9 is more than bad luck. And he has done that while being 14th on the team in terms of ES ice time.

The job just hasn't been getting done defensively when he is out there so I doubt that he will get many opportunities to develop
much offense when the team is at even strength.

O'Byrne is what he is. There isn't going to be much offense there but he fills other role.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:40 AM
  #6
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
As much as I like Gill and Gorges...when do you ever see a shot on goal from them? Hamr and Spacek are not much better.
Actually, I've been pretty surprised with how much Gill puts the puck on net, it's not the hardest shot be he does get it through more often than not.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:45 AM
  #7
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service
 
Watsatheo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,909
vCash: 500
We also need someone on D who can hit hard and often. If we can find a D that can do both we're in business.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:51 AM
  #8
Tusk
Registered User
 
Tusk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 3,698
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
We also need someone on D who can hit hard and often. If we can find a D that can do both we're in business.
Preach on brother!!! A forward like that wouldn't hurt either.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:52 AM
  #9
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,132
vCash: 500
Awards:
Gorges is a pure stay at home type defenseman. That means he rarely jumps into the play and pinch to try and get something to the net.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:53 AM
  #10
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Bergeron, O'Byrne, Gorges and Gill are pretty one-dimensional players.

Hamrlik and Spacek have not been anywhere near the expected level in terms of offensive support.

This organization has failed at drafting and developing 2-way defensemen. There's quite a few reasons this team lacks consistency and not being able to ice players that are consistently good at defending and getting the team back in offense mode is a huge reason.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
  #11
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,096
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Bergeron, O'Byrne, Gorges and Gill are pretty one-dimensional players.

Hamrlik and Spacek have not been anywhere near the expected level in terms of offensive support.

This organization has failed at drafting and developing 2-way defensemen. There's quite a few reasons this team lacks consistency and not being able to ice players that are consistently good at defending and getting the team back in offense mode is a huge reason.
In recent years :
Markov, Andrei
Hainsey, Ron
Souray, Sheldon (not drafted but develloped)
Streit, Mark
Subban, PK
?

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:35 PM
  #12
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
In recent years :
Markov, Andrei
Hainsey, Ron
Souray, Sheldon (not drafted but develloped)
Streit, Mark
Subban, PK
?
Streit was 29 when he came along. Hainsey never developped here.

But yeah, goes to show we failed miserably at building a strong backend that can shutdown opposing teams and get the offense going.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:41 PM
  #13
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,096
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLPacman67 View Post
Streit was 29 when he came along. Hainsey never developped here.

But yeah, goes to show we failed miserably at building a strong backend that can shutdown opposing teams and get the offense going.
We need at least one more guy like that. He's not the ideal solution but if only Spacek could return from that mysterious illness of his, he could lend a hand for now. Without Markov and Spacek the series doesn't look good...

For future years we'll have to hope :
A. Weber gets good enough to make the NHL as a two way defensemen (not just mobile slapshot). We do have some other prospects who could surprise (namely Carle even if its getting late for him and injuries seem to be taking their toil and Bennett, who I think will be AWESOME)
B. We can sign/trade for some good two way D and replace Spacek/Hamrlik/Bergeron along with Subban
C. Can draft a good D this summer.

Gorges and O'Byrne are keepers even if their offense is lacking (Gorges still makes good decisions in all zones and O'Byrne imho seems to have some untapped potential so its not catastrophic ala Komisarek).

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:47 PM
  #14
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
We need at least one more guy like that. He's not the ideal solution but if only Spacek could return from that mysterious illness of his, he could lend a hand for now. Without Markov and Spacek the series doesn't look good...

For future years we'll have to hope :
A. Weber gets good enough to make the NHL as a two way defensemen (not just mobile slapshot). We do have some other prospects who could surprise (namely Carle even if its getting late for him and injuries seem to be taking their toil and Bennett, who I think will be AWESOME)
B. We can sign/trade for some good two way D and replace Spacek/Hamrlik/Bergeron along with Subban
C. Can draft a good D this summer.

Gorges and O'Byrne are keepers even if their offense is lacking (Gorges still makes good decisions in all zones and O'Byrne imho seems to have some untapped potential so its not catastrophic ala Komisarek).
Well that's great and all, but this organization still has failed to draft and develop players to make a homegrown, strong backend.

Subban seems to be the only guy that will have a strong, 2-way game. Weber is more of an offensive specialist.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.