HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Extra 1st round pick to Sharks (10-20) or swap for top 10 pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2010, 11:59 PM
  #76
Thepainter
Registered User
 
Thepainter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bay Area, California
Country: United States
Posts: 5,149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
For all the Sharks fans upset at my various proposals, what exactly do you think the Sharks will do about their cap issues next year?

As far as I can tell, it's at least two of the following things:

Trade Pavs/Clowe/Seto/Murray/Vlasic
Let Marleau walk
Let Nabokov walk
Replace Blake with a rookie on a cheap (<$1M) ELC.

(Note that these are just the technical possibilities, not necessarily my suggestions.)

If it were up to me, the Sharks would trade roster players, rather than simply letting them walk away for nothing when there isn't a somewhat half-decent replacement in the wings.

I believe that Greiss can be a half-decent replacement for Nabby, and McGinn can be a half-decent replacement for Clowe. Marleau on the other hand doesn't have anything close to a replacement in the wings, despite everyone's sudden willingness to toss him under the bus as a "choker". (He's actually produced in the playoffs before, and is just as "proven" a playoff performer as anyone else on the roster.)

If your issues are with value on proposed trades, that's a different matter, but the idea that trading away any roster player in the off-season is stupid just doesn't make sense to me.
Dude, are you *****in high? In what universe do you think Pavelski gets traded? And Clowe... the second best playoff performer, a power forward with skill, toughness and heart. He's going nowhere.

Right now, you have to assume Nabby and Marleau are gone, which is fine. We all knew this coming in to the year. Best case scenario is Marleau takes a home team discount. Nabokov is as good as gone. If neither resign, the Sharks will be perfectly fine. Blake's not coming back regardless, so his salary will come off the books.

Between Nabby, Marleau and Blake, that's a good chunk of change coming off the books next year.

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:16 AM
  #77
tarlinian
Registered User
 
tarlinian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRiffle View Post
If Howson had the balls he'd be making a phone call for a deal centered around Thornton and the #4 pick
Thornton has an NTC. I don't think Wilson is the type of GM to ask players to waive their NTCs.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
  #78
tarlinian
Registered User
 
tarlinian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Dude, are you *****in high? In what universe do you think Pavelski gets traded? And Clowe... the second best playoff performer, a power forward with skill, toughness and heart. He's going nowhere.

Right now, you have to assume Nabby and Marleau are gone, which is fine. We all knew this coming in to the year. Best case scenario is Marleau takes a home team discount. Nabokov is as good as gone. If neither resign, the Sharks will be perfectly fine. Blake's not coming back regardless, so his salary will come off the books.

Between Nabby, Marleau and Blake, that's a good chunk of change coming off the books next year.
Did you read what I said? I said that taking two of those actions would get us under the cap. Obviously many of them would be stupid.

However, even if Marleau takes a discount at around $6M and Nabby is replaced with Ellis at $2M, we'd have ~$2M to replace Blake without any room for callups or an extra forward. There's no way you get a reasonably competitive defenseman at that price unless you expect a rookie to step in and play top 4 minutes off the bat. (This is assuming that Demers and Huskins remain as the bottom pairing.) I believe that trading Clowe and using the extra cap space to lure a good FA dman like Hamhuis or Michalek is the better choice. Losing Marleau to FA is worse for this team than trading Clowe, both for next season and in future years. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:38 AM
  #79
MEEPSTER4
Registered User
 
MEEPSTER4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Pavelski stays, no questions ask.
Exactly. He's the kinda guy you build around. A hard worker who puts up points and can probably lead the team down the line. I would have said this pre-playoffs too. He better get a nice raise and if DW is smart, he is the top priority in the off-season.

MEEPSTER4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 06:06 AM
  #80
Lupul1990
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 248
vCash: 500
Who the **** discusses trades when his team is still in the play-off's? I understand fans of the teams that are out already, but Sharks? Unless you expect Detroit to beat you.

Lupul1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 03:02 PM
  #81
tarlinian
Registered User
 
tarlinian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pasadena, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupul1990 View Post
Who the **** discusses trades when his team is still in the play-off's? I understand fans of the teams that are out already, but Sharks? Unless you expect Detroit to beat you.
The stupid Eagles in San Jose causing a 3 day break between games 1 and two made me restless. Don't worry, I'm done with this thread until the next break between series.

tarlinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 04:07 PM
  #82
Esoteric Ubiquity*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Silicon Valley
Country: Greece
Posts: 3,308
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
Look, the point here is that someone is leaving the Sharks, whether we like it or not. At the very least, one of Nabby, Clowe, or Marleau is gone next year. If it were up to me, I'd rather lose someone and get something back in return, instead of letting UFAs go for nothing.

I keep mentioning the Ehrhoff trade because it is a pure salary dump. You don't get value back for salary dumps when other teams recognize the position you are in. Trying to trade Huskins would basically be the same thing. Why is that so controversial?
So you have a failed trade that was done chiefly to bring in Dany Heatley, where 4.5million was moved, and you use that as a basis for moving a 1.7 million contract? Package Huskins with something from Worcester for picks as you seem to be so attached to them. The 1.7m isn't really going to matter that much as it is, but he is someone I'd like to see moved. Either way it's a comparison that doesn't really work.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
For all the Sharks fans upset at my various proposals, what exactly do you think the Sharks will do about their cap issues next year?

As far as I can tell, it's at least two of the following things:

Trade Pavs/Clowe/Seto/Murray/Vlasic
Let Marleau walk
Let Nabokov walk
Replace Blake with a rookie on a cheap (<$1M) ELC.

(Note that these are just the technical possibilities, not necessarily my suggestions.)
Those are some of the possibilities. Why you put Vlasic's name down when you mention acquiring Michalek or Hamhuis farther down your posts is beyond me. The latter two will command a premium, and we are talking about cap space here.. =.=

Quote:
If it were up to me, the Sharks would trade roster players, rather than simply letting them walk away for nothing when there isn't a somewhat half-decent replacement in the wings.
I'm glad it's not up to you. The mindset you're bringing to solving these cap issues is akin to being Billy Beane (without the scouting). You do not draft players, cultivate them in the minors, and trade them away when they start becoming pros.

Quote:
I believe that Greiss can be a half-decent replacement for Nabby, and McGinn can be a half-decent replacement for Clowe. Marleau on the other hand doesn't have anything close to a replacement in the wings, despite everyone's sudden willingness to toss him under the bus as a "choker". (He's actually produced in the playoffs before, and is just as "proven" a playoff performer as anyone else on the roster.)
McGinn does not have the size and plays a slightly different game than Clowe. Thomas Greiss has not proved anything in his time with the Sharks. I do not want to see him between the nets for 40+ games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
The Sharks would need to add considerably to Clowe if the Wild was trading Burns.
Minus the considerably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
Thornton has an NTC. I don't think Wilson is the type of GM to ask players to waive their NTCs.
I don't think Wilson is the type of GM to draft players, spend time to develop them and then offer them up for more prospects when they begin to mature and become contributing players for the team. The Sharks are not the Oakland A's, and they tried the aging veteran a la the San Francisco Giants, which failed as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarlinian View Post
Did you read what I said? I said that taking two of those actions would get us under the cap. Obviously many of them would be stupid.

However, even if Marleau takes a discount at around $6M and Nabby is replaced with Ellis at $2M, we'd have ~$2M to replace Blake without any room for callups or an extra forward. There's no way you get a reasonably competitive defenseman at that price unless you expect a rookie to step in and play top 4 minutes off the bat. (This is assuming that Demers and Huskins remain as the bottom pairing.) I believe that trading Clowe and using the extra cap space to lure a good FA dman like Hamhuis or Michalek is the better choice. Losing Marleau to FA is worse for this team than trading Clowe, both for next season and in future years. I'm not sure why that doesn't make sense.
As I stated previously, this is a ridiculous notion. Both Z and Hamhuis (and Volchenkov) will command a premium this offseason. Sucking up cap for the added premium makes no sense, when it is at the expense of the secondary scoring, despite what you think of Jamie McGinn.. The Sharks might be served picking up someone like Mottau, Hnidy, Brookbank or Hale to aid the corps. They could also consider rolling 7 D and picking one of Moore or Petrecki or another Worcester D.

Esoteric Ubiquity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 05:46 PM
  #83
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 30,054
vCash: 500
I'm glad DW doesn't think like the OP, jeez.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.