HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

interesting article on the leafs

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2005, 10:43 PM
Empireshark

vCash: 500
interesting article on the leafs

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...acodalogin=yes

JFJ sure is showing his genius early on in his career.

Old
02-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Habbadasher

Not genius, just a businessman.

Oops, maybe I missed the sarcasm.

Old
02-28-2005, 11:19 PM
Riggins

Over/under on when Carl O'Steenaholix replies is at 15 minutes from my post. I'll say just over.

Old
03-01-2005, 06:37 AM
AH

Quote:
"If the league had required immediate compliance (with a salary cap), we would have had to get on the horn and start calling around looking for trades," said Ferguson.

Looking ahead, the constraints of a salary cap system combined with financial commitments the team has already made certainly do not bode well for the Leafs.
It's always been everyone's understanding (except Leaf fans) that the salary cap (when they play again) will be IMMEDIATE. There will be no transition period. Bettman warned the years ago and he is gonna stick it to them. Signing bonuses from here forward and any buyouts WILL count towards the Cap. Otherwise we wil have a situation where teams will cheat, sign a guy to $1 milion contacts and give them a $12 million buyout for the following year.

I loved all those threads back in October and November on the Leafs board which had them signing Kariya, Kovalev, and Pronger (well because the cap relief was coming in a year or two). But now that a cap reality is settling in, they are aiming for Lindros and attempts to sign him to an incentive laced contract. :lol

Even if the cap relief is coming in a year or two, the Leafs are going to be so bad that NO major free agent would want to sign with them. Just look at the Bulls in the NBA. So much recent history, HUGE market, they have had so much cap room since 1999 but no way in hell would anyone sign there. The two Jerrys have something to with that, but it's also because (up until this year) the team has been totally crap.

Last edited by AH: 03-01-2005 at 07:10 AM.
Old
03-01-2005, 07:18 AM
Fozz

If a deal had been made resulting in a shortened season, the Leafs would have had a heck of a hard time making all the pieces fit and would have had to trade a number of high-profile players in order to fit in under the cap. Actually, that might of been the best scenario for them (believe it or not!). At least they would've had something in return for those aging, overpaid players. Now, they get nothing! No draft picks, no prospects, nothing. Good for them!

Old
03-01-2005, 07:26 AM
AH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz
At least they would've had something in return for those aging, overpaid players. Now, they get nothing! No draft picks, no prospects, nothing. Good for them!
I dont think so. Teams with cap room would have been waiting for them. Knowing they had to get under a cap or risk losing draft picks/money as penalty, they might have had to actually throw in some assets just for the other teams to take on their oversized contracts on old players. They are actually lucky the season was a no-go.

JFJ: You have to take Belfour.
Other GM: Give me Kaberle and I will take him.
JFJ: What do you give in return?
Other GM: I am taking Belfour's ridiculous contract for TWO more years. Isn't that enough?
JFJ: I will be crucified.
Other GM: That's your problem for handing out a $22 million contract to a 39 year old. That $3 million buyout for the 3rd year makes no sense because the buyout + the cost of getting another goalie will end up being $6 million anyways.
JFJ: OK.

No comedy intended ... but still :lol

Old
03-01-2005, 07:28 AM
Habsfan 32

Send a message via ICQ to Habsfan 32 Send a message via MSN to Habsfan 32
I'm surprised Carl O'Steen has not replied yet.

Old
03-01-2005, 12:56 PM
saskhab

Why is this in here? If I wanted to talk about the Leafs, I'd go over there. You guys are just asking for trouble...

Old
03-01-2005, 02:00 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
It's always been everyone's understanding (except Leaf fans) that the salary cap (when they play again) will be IMMEDIATE. There will be no transition period. Bettman warned the years ago and he is gonna stick it to them. Signing bonuses from here forward and any buyouts WILL count towards the Cap. Otherwise we wil have a situation where teams will cheat, sign a guy to $1 milion contacts and give them a $12 million buyout for the following year.

I loved all those threads back in October and November on the Leafs board which had them signing Kariya, Kovalev, and Pronger (well because the cap relief was coming in a year or two). But now that a cap reality is settling in, they are aiming for Lindros and attempts to sign him to an incentive laced contract. :lol

Even if the cap relief is coming in a year or two, the Leafs are going to be so bad that NO major free agent would want to sign with them. Just look at the Bulls in the NBA. So much recent history, HUGE market, they have had so much cap room since 1999 but no way in hell would anyone sign there. The two Jerrys have something to with that, but it's also because (up until this year) the team has been totally crap.
I find it amusing that you say that no major free agent will want to sign with the Leafs when there never has been one that has ever signed with the Habs.

If the new CBA lowers the UFA age guys like Zednik, Koivu, and Souray will be gone and need to be replaced. Even Theodore is 28.

Having the cap money is one thing, being able to spend it on quality players is another.

Old
03-01-2005, 02:22 PM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan 32
I'm surprised Carl O'Steen has not replied yet.
Why would he? You guys seem to be baiting him. Everyone knows the Leafs need to rebuild. The Leafs were nearing the end of the line even before the lock-out. The supposed screwups by JFJ were a last ditch attempt to win a cup before the team got too old. If they had of won last season, or even if there hadn't been a lockout, most of JFJ's moves wouldn't seem so bad... The Belfour signing is the only thing that doesn't make sense to me, but many GMs have overpaid veterans in the past, so...

Oh, and I for one expect current contracts to get rolled-back a certain percentage, but then get grand-fathered when the league resumes...

Last edited by All-Star: 03-01-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old
03-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH

Even the New York Rangers understood that, they proved that by dumping a lot of high priced guys before last years deadline.

Old
03-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog fan
Even the New York Rangers understood that, they proved that by dumping a lot of high priced guys before last years deadline.
I think the Rangers just gave up. I don't think it had much of anything to do with the cap. I mean they Kept Jagr and his bloated contract, didn't they?

Old
03-01-2005, 03:08 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky
I think the Rangers just gave up. I don't think it had much of anything to do with the cap. I mean they Kept Jagr and his bloated contract, didn't they?
Perhaps they had no choice. You can't make a trade if no one wanted him, or at least no one wanted that salary.

Old
03-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Joey

Send a message via MSN to Joey
Quote:
Originally Posted by AH
JFJ: OK.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Old
03-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Habs4ever

but there is a catch with Jagr contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky

caps pay $5 M, from each year so rangers are only stuck with $6 M contract, I'd say if leafs can afford to pay nolan $6 M then rangers won't have trouble paying same amount for much better talent. If I had chance to get Jagr for $6 M there would be no hesitation, afterall he was superstar for many years.

Closed Thread