HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Loopholes in the New Rule??

Old
05-01-2010, 08:57 PM
jughead42

vCash: 500
Honestly I don't see why Kerby wouldn't report. He was drafted to an OHL team with a reasonable reputation for developing players, even if that team is a bit underhanded. Just because his old man wanted him to play for the home town team, it doesn't mean Kerby is going to be a sissy and go running home like Gleeson or take off to a US league. I'm sure as disappointed as he is for not being a Spitfire, he's stoked about suiting up in the OHL next season. He's got a long OHL career ahead of him, and there will be lots of opportunity to play for Windsor before its over.

I think the disappointing thing about the rule isn't the loophole that teams could abuse for extra picks. Certainly its a possibility, but with the hype that new OHL enforcer got I'm thinking he'd be investigating any situation like the one proposed involving 2 teams. The disappointing thing is that the rule didn't encourage teams to keep the draft honest in regards to Ebert and Macurioni (or whatever his name is) but it emboldened the Colts to screw a kid out of playing on his hometown team owned by his father. That's what makes the rule sickening to me.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:32 AM
james30

Some other thoughts: Possibly Barrie felt they have a lot of potential to trade 8 of their 11 (not sure if that is the exact numbers) overagers next year. You can make up a team pretty quickly with that many trades. Most "underagers" don't make an immediate impact in the OHL their first year. Barrie has also only kept 2 first round picks in the last 10 years (Little and Delle Rovere I think). They have traded away all the rest.

james30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:03 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
I think the disappointing thing about the rule isn't the loophole that teams could abuse for extra picks. Certainly its a possibility, but with the hype that new OHL enforcer got I'm thinking he'd be investigating any situation like the one proposed involving 2 teams. The disappointing thing is that the rule didn't encourage teams to keep the draft honest in regards to Ebert and Macurioni (or whatever his name is) but it emboldened the Colts to screw a kid out of playing on his hometown team owned by his father. That's what makes the rule sickening to me.
The disappointing thing for me about the rule is that it exists in the first place. I think it's nonsensical. It doesn't even work. At the end of the day, teams still aren't going to waste high picks on players they don't think they can get. Nieves in the 10th for example. From everthing I've heard, he's a first rounder if he isn't locked in to Michigan.

Cheers,
Shawn

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Ottomatic

I think Kerby Rychel was drafted because Barrie doesn't think he'll report. I think they fully expect to take advantage of this loophole.

How can they expect him to report given the two teams in the OHL finals right now, given the history between the two teams?

Kerby reports and asks for a trade it will end up costing the Spits more anyways because they'd have to make up the value of a lost compensation first rounder. Spits basically have to play Barrie's game because they're holding the kid hostage.

At least we could beat them first in the finals.

Ottomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 10:35 AM
stratosphere

OK, been following along here as best I can, but have to admit I don’t understand much about OHL rules. Couple questions for those obviously very knowledgeable on the subject…

1) Of the four 16 yr olds an OHL team can roster, are the first two OPS picks LOCKS for roster spots? So for Barrie, it would be Rychel and Devlin for sure and then they could potentially select 2 others from the other 14 picks?

2) If Rychel doesn’t report and Barrie is compensated in some way—with picks or cash or a gift certificate to the next Spitz game—does that mean they lose a 16 yr old roster spot or can they simply move down the draft order and still have four 16 yr olds if they wish?

From what I've seen of Rychel, IMHO, there are better forwards on the Barrie dance card. I'm curious how all this drama could impact their chances of making the team.

stratosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:48 AM
cfaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
OK, been following along here as best I can, but have to admit I don’t understand much about OHL rules. Couple questions for those obviously very knowledgeable on the subject…

1) Of the four 16 yr olds an OHL team can roster, are the first two OPS picks LOCKS for roster spots? So for Barrie, it would be Rychel and Devlin for sure and then they could potentially select 2 others from the other 14 picks?

2) If Rychel doesn’t report and Barrie is compensated in some way—with picks or cash or a gift certificate to the next Spitz game—does that mean they lose a 16 yr old roster spot or can they simply move down the draft order and still have four 16 yr olds if they wish?

From what I've seen of Rychel, IMHO, there are better forwards on the Barrie dance card. I'm curious how all this drama could impact their chances of making the team.
First of all it used to be that your first and second rounder could make the team along with two wild cards, picks from any round. Now I believe it is any four 16 year olds. Someone more familiar with the rules could correct me if I am wrong but this is what I believe it is now.

As for trading any 16 year olds it does not eliminate a roster spot for any others. You are allowed to dress four 16 year olds which is why I stated what I did above. Again if I am wrong someone please correct me so I am clear about it as well.

This season Windsor has Brassard (1rst rnd), Duininck (4th rnd) and Whaley (15th rnd) in their line up as well as various others at different times throughout the season.

Hope this helps... if I am at least close to correct.

cfaub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
stratosphere

So now that the draft is complete, there are potentially 4 roster spots open for 16 yr olds on every OHL team and not just 2??

It's an important distinction, especially for those players that intend to report and think they have a realisitic shot at earning a place on the roster. Their chances are doubled if there are truly 4 spots available.

Old
05-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
So now that the draft is complete, there are potentially 4 roster spots open for 16 yr olds on every OHL team and not just 2??

It's an important distinction, especially for those players that intend to report and think they have a realisitic shot at earning a place on the roster. Their chances are doubled if there are truly 4 spots available.
He already answered your question in the first sentence.

-Teams can sign their first two picks, if one of them does not report then they move to the next pick, and so on.

-There are then two wildcard players that can be signed. The main reason for this it opens up the ability for teams to sign anyone that they drafted.

-You can also play up to 10 games in the OHL without signing a card, which is what Brain Hughes in Oshawa and Malcolm Subban in Belleville did this season

-Just because you are signed does not mean that you will be on the team, some teams will put their players in Junior A or B to help development.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 07:04 PM
stratosphere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers1992 View Post
He already answered your question in the first sentence.

-Teams can sign their first two picks, if one of them does not report then they move to the next pick, and so on.

-There are then two wildcard players that can be signed. The main reason for this it opens up the ability for teams to sign anyone that they drafted.

-You can also play up to 10 games in the OHL without signing a card, which is what Brain Hughes in Oshawa and Malcolm Subban in Belleville did this season

-Just because you are signed does not mean that you will be on the team, some teams will put their players in Junior A or B to help development.
Well, sort of, but I'm still not clear on the rules. I understand that a team CAN sign their first two picks and then they have two others they could sign. Got it. What I'm asking is this, and I apologize for not being clearer:

Are the first two draft picks automatically signed if they report? Or, are all four spots up for grabs? Which is it?? What if the first two report but they get owned at camp by lower round picks? Is an OHL team obligated by any rule to those first two draft picks to offer them a roster spot or a trade or anything else? Basically, is that what picking a kid in the early rounds is all about--some sort of committment? Are they married to their first round picks?

Sorry if that sounds idiotic, but I'm just trying to ascertain if ALL 4 roster spots for 16 yr old draftees are open according to the rules. If they aren't, then that is important to know for a kid deciding to report. If they are all open, but certain draftees aren't going to be ousted because of political reasons, that would be good to know as well, though it is certainly a much tougher piece of infformation to come by.

Old
05-02-2010, 07:36 PM
kenadian

Selected Players in the OHL
OHL Member Teams are permitted to
register a maximum of four 16 year old
players selected in the OHL Priority
Selection. Those 16 year old players
that are allowed to be signed are the
first two 16 year old players selected
and a maximum addition of two 16
year old wild carded players in any
round of the OHL Priority Selection.
All other 16-year-old players selected
are eligible to be called up as an “affiliated
player” or “floating affiliate player”
for a maximum of 10 games or for any
OHL regular season or playoff games
when such player’s team has been eliminated
from competition for that season.

From the 2010 OHL Priority Selection Preview and Media Guide

kenadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Well, sort of, but I'm still not clear on the rules. I understand that a team CAN sign their first two picks and then they have two others they could sign. Got it. What I'm asking is this, and I apologize for not being clearer:

Are the first two draft picks automatically signed if they report? Or, are all four spots up for grabs? Which is it?? What if the first two report but they get owned at camp by lower round picks? Is an OHL team obligated by any rule to those first two draft picks to offer them a roster spot or a trade or anything else? Basically, is that what picking a kid in the early rounds is all about--some sort of committment? Are they married to their first round picks?

Sorry if that sounds idiotic, but I'm just trying to ascertain if ALL 4 roster spots for 16 yr old draftees are open according to the rules. If they aren't, then that is important to know for a kid deciding to report. If they are all open, but certain draftees aren't going to be ousted because of political reasons, that would be good to know as well, though it is certainly a much tougher piece of infformation to come by.
First two have to be signed, as posted above.

There is no downside for going for 48 hours to get a feel for the camp. After the 48 hour period is up then leave. You keep your NCAA eligibility and get a taste for the team.

Players are scouted for 8 months, one bad camp will not take away what a team saw out of those top players during the season. Also, the kids picked at the top are walking away from big NCAA money (Marcantuoni had a $160,000 scholarship offer), so its only fair that they get the security.

Old
05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
stratosphere

Ok thanks. So there are at most two spots open. It sounds like they can fill them as they see fit--either with a full time rostered player or for a few games here and there with whomever they wish.

Old
05-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Ok thanks. So there are at most two spots open. It sounds like they can fill them as they see fit--either with a full time rostered player or for a few games here and there with whomever they wish.
Generally yes.

If the second rounder does not show up, then its the third rounder that they can sign, and so on.

A good showing in camp could mean a call up during U18 and U20, they can play drafted 94's up to 10 times without a card, so keep that in mind.