HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rd. 2, Gm. 1: Flyers @ Bruins - May 1, 2010 - 12:30 PM (ET)

Closed Thread

Old
05-02-2010, 12:07 PM
UseYourAllusion

vCash: 500
Don Cherry is hilarious.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:11 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Mark Recchi played the most of anyone in the game, over 33 minutes. I wonder if that is why he missed like two chances to shoot in OT?

Old
05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
MsWoof

Cherry pretends he can't pronounce words yet he calls Halak "Havlak" or something. If Halak is soooo hard to pronounce, why add more letters to it? Luongo he calls Lulongo. It's all shock value but he never mispronounces Waspy names.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:18 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
If Halak is soooo hard to pronounce, why add more letters to it? Luongo he calls Lulongo. It's all shock value but he never mispronounces Waspy names.
Whenever he puts up a Canadian solider that's moved on -- he never gets those wrong.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Whenever he puts up a Canadian solider that's moved on -- he never gets those wrong.
Yup, and there have been many Francophones who have passed away in Afghanistan. Shows he is able to do it, he just chooses not to.

Old
05-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
think the bruins can sustain that kind of pressure for the entire series? or will they tire out?

Old
05-02-2010, 01:16 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF View Post
Regardless, any way you want to spin it, Thornton out there rather than Sturm is good for the Flyers. He scored the OT winner against us in the classic, he's clearly a better player than Thornton.

If we split this I'll be pretty happy - the last line change is pretty important so we can avoid Briere being out against top offensive players if he's going to stay at center.
It's not spin.

Yes, Sturm is a better hockey player than Thornton, but he has not displayed it for the last 6-8 weeks when he has been virtually invisible. If you watched the B's regularly you would know that. Personally, I'd like to see Marchand (B's prospect) get a shot, but that is unlikely.

Old
05-02-2010, 01:27 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Really exciting, yet disappointing game today. The Flyers flat first period didn't surprise me - eight day layoffs are not an easy thing to come back from. The second and third were absolutely dominated by the Flyers and their play in those two periods showed me the Flyers are the better team in this series. The OT I've pretty much thrown out; the Bruins played a dangerously over aggressive forecheck that can't be sustained for an extended period of time.

One positive was the play of JVR. He showed glimpses of his full skill set today, and a big performance from JVR will be key in the absence of Carter and Gagne.

One thing that really concerned me though was the defensive play of our forwards. A lot of goofy turnovers and poor clear attempts. Briere was awful defensively.
That's a very convenient theory considering how badly the B's outplayed PHI in the OT, but I beg to differ. The B's forecheck was not "dangerously aggressive", the Flyers just handled the puck like a hot potato in their own end in the OT.

I expect the Flyers to be better in Game 2, but don't forget the B's had nearly as long a layoff as PHI, were rolling out a couple of new lines due to Savard's return, and they also played all but a couple of minutes a forward down (which further messed up the lines). In addition, it's not likely that Rask is going to give up four goals per game, based on the regular season and the first round.

See ya Monday.

Old
05-02-2010, 01:33 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Mark Recchi played the most of anyone in the game, over 33 minutes. I wonder if that is why he missed like two chances to shoot in OT?
Not sure where you are getting your info from?

Recchi: 21:19

Boychuk was tops on BOS D: 33:29

Krejci: 25:37

Pronger: 31:23

Briere 27:14

Old
05-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
That's a very convenient theory considering how badly the B's outplayed PHI in the OT, but I beg to differ. The B's forecheck was not "dangerously aggressive", the Flyers just handled the puck like a hot potato in their own end in the OT.

I expect the Flyers to be better in Game 2, but don't forget the B's had nearly as long a layoff as PHI, were rolling out a couple of new lines due to Savard's return, and they also played all but a couple of minutes a forward down (which further messed up the lines). In addition, it's not likely that Rask is going to give up four goals per game, based on the regular season and the first round.

See ya Monday.
The Bruins had 4 days. The Flyers had 8. That isn't exactly nearly the same layoff. Also, i'm glad that the Bruins rolling new lines was mentioned. It's not like the Flyers had to compensate for the loss of 3 forwards that they had the last game that they played.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
05-02-2010, 01:40 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
The Bruins had 4 days. The Flyers had 8. That isn't exactly nearly the same layoff. Also, i'm glad that the Bruins rolling new lines was mentioned. It's not like the Flyers had to compensate for the loss of 3 forwards that they had the last game that they played.
During the playoffs, anything more than a couple of days could be considered a "layoff". Every B's fan is well aware that the Flyers are short three forwards, BOS is short two of their Top 4 d-men (Seidenberg and Stuart), but are not using it as an excuse.

If I was going to be argumentative, I could also say that the 8 days of practice gave PHI more time to get their lines squared away, than the 4 the B's had, right?

Old
05-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
During the playoffs, anything more than a couple of days could be considered a "layoff". Every B's fan is well aware that the Flyers are short three forwards, BOS is short two of their Top 4 d-men (Seidenberg and Stuart), but are not using it as an excuse.

If I was going to be argumentative, I could also say that the 8 days of practice gave PHI more time to get their lines squared away, than the 4 the B's had, right?
'Cept Flyer fans would come back with the fact that the Flyers have reacted poorly to layoffs all season long.

Old
05-02-2010, 03:01 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Not sure where you are getting your info from?

Recchi: 21:19

Boychuk was tops on BOS D: 33:29

Krejci: 25:37

Pronger: 31:23

Briere 27:14
Oh, you're right. I was looking at the box score/game summary on the Flyers website and Chara is listed right below Recchi, and I accidentally looked at his numbers.

Old
05-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
In addition, it's not likely that Rask is going to give up four goals per game, based on the regular season and the first round.

See ya Monday.
Maybe you'll laugh at me for this, but I wouldn't expect to Boucher to give up five every game either.

Old
05-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
That's a very convenient theory considering how badly the B's outplayed PHI in the OT, but I beg to differ.
thats over the course of one game. what about over the course of a series? the caps tried to play aggressively, and even though it was their specialty, it looked like they were out of gas towards the end.

it also needs to be pointed out that the flyers have a tendency to lose the first game in a series, then win anyways. the NJ series is the first time the flyers had won the first game in a series in a long time. it seems like this team gets better as they know what to expect, and as a group arent that great at the start. theyve loved coming out flat in first periods all season

game 2 is going to be a better barometer of how this series will go, i bet

Old
05-02-2010, 03:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
The Caps were out of gas? They looked like a dominant team in at least Games 6 and 7, and Halak stole both games.

Old
05-02-2010, 04:26 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Sounds like I missed a bad first and a good rest of the game. I love that Parent got a goal -- how's that for unexpected?

The fact that they came back against a very good defensive team is nothing but good news for game 2.

Can't wait to see it!

Old
05-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
thats over the course of one game. what about over the course of a series? the caps tried to play aggressively, and even though it was their specialty, it looked like they were out of gas towards the end.

it also needs to be pointed out that the flyers have a tendency to lose the first game in a series, then win anyways. the NJ series is the first time the flyers had won the first game in a series in a long time. it seems like this team gets better as they know what to expect, and as a group arent that great at the start. theyve loved coming out flat in first periods all season

game 2 is going to be a better barometer of how this series will go, i bet
Well, yeah, cuz if we don't earn the split we're in a world of hurt.

Old
05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
The Caps were out of gas? They looked like a dominant team in at least Games 6 and 7, and Halak stole both games.
i thought they looked less energetic than in the first 3 games. but that could have been demoralization, i dont know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, yeah, cuz if we don't earn the split we're in a world of hurt.

pretty much. if the bruins win monday im going to assume they have the flyers' number. its easier to be pessimistic anyways

Old
05-02-2010, 08:05 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
2nd part. So a line of Hartnell and JVR needs to be defensive? Wow, talk about a waste of assets. You dont throw those 2 with Betts and make a 3rd defensive line.
Jesus christ, are you serious? Try reading my post before responding. I was very clear about the fact that I'd be creating two scoring lines and two checking lines. I also said I'd move JVR up off of that line.

Quote:
I'll keep saying it until Im blue in the face. 4th line players do not deserve to play higher then needed.
Perhaps if you spent more time reading the posts you're responding to and understanding the situation, you wouldn't have to spend as much time getting blue in the face with useless responses. This whole tirade about Kalinski and Betts and whoever else not deserving to be above the 4th line....do I seriously need to point out that 3 regulars are injured and out of the line-up? Whether they deserve to be moved up or not, when a team faces injuries they often face the situation of having guys playing above their head. Does this really need to be explained?

Quote:
I dont care if their better defensively then Briere is, then get Giroux in the center and Briere on the wing.
Lol, that's what I've been saying...I said I'd put Giroux at center and move Briere to wing...I ****ing said that. So what the hell are you trying to say by agreeing that it should be done? That leaves the center slot open for two more lines...and filling them is what I've been talking about. Sooo, what the hell are you talking about?

Quote:
You dont throw 4th line guys higher then they can be just cause they are better defensively.
THESE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. YOU DO IT BECAUSE THERE ARE 3 ****ING REGULARS OUT OF THE LINE-UP, AND YOU MOVE BRIERE OUT OF CENTER BECAUSE HE PLAYS DEFENSE LIKE A BLIND LITTLE GIRL.

My god.

Old
05-02-2010, 08:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Jesus christ, are you serious? Try reading my post before responding. I was very clear about the fact that I'd be creating two scoring lines and two checking lines. I also said I'd move JVR up off of that line.

Perhaps if you spent more time reading the posts you're responding to and understanding the situation, you wouldn't have to spend as much time getting blue in the face with useless responses. This whole tirade about Kalinski and Betts and whoever else not deserving to be above the 4th line....do I seriously need to point out that 3 regulars are injured and out of the line-up? Whether they deserve to be moved up or not, when a team faces injuries they often face the situation of having guys playing above their head. Does this really need to be explained?

Lol, that's what I've been saying...I said I'd put Giroux at center and move Briere to wing...I ****ing said that. So what the hell are you trying to say by agreeing that it should be done? That leaves the center slot open for two more lines...and filling them is what I've been talking about. Sooo, what the hell are you talking about?

THESE ARE EXTENUATING CIRCUMSTANCES. YOU DO IT BECAUSE THERE ARE 3 ****ING REGULARS OUT OF THE LINE-UP, AND YOU MOVE BRIERE OUT OF CENTER BECAUSE HE PLAYS DEFENSE LIKE A BLIND LITTLE GIRL.

My god.
Wow ok... someone is angry. I'll stop there lol

Old
05-02-2010, 09:23 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Thank god. Your senseless posts were really bringing out the worst in me. And that argument was looking the like the first two minutes of OT yesterday, with me as the Bruins and you the Flyers.

Old
05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Thank god. Your senseless posts were really bringing out the worst in me. And that argument was looking the like the first two minutes of OT yesterday, with me as the Bruins and you the Flyers.
You gotta be kidding dude? You of all people I wouldnt think would act like this.

Whatever floats your boat bro. Keep coming at me. Im not gonna change my opinions

Last edited by sa cyred: 05-02-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old
05-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Larry44

Quote:
I think he's still angry that Claude Boivin didn't turn out to be the next Tocchet. I'm more upset that Pat Murray didn't turn into the next Murray Craven....

Old
05-02-2010, 10:29 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
They were comparing the Mustaches of Carcillo and Schultz, he literally has no idea what he's talking about.

Closed Thread