HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

So am I the only one?

Old
05-03-2010, 12:18 AM
dingawing

vCash: 500
So am I the only one?

When I don't score a goal or my team loses I will slap my stick against the cage or hit the glass when coming off the ice?

dingawing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingawing View Post
When I don't score a goal or my team loses I will slap my stick against the cage or hit the glass when coming off the ice?
I have seen some do this and break their stick. I do not do this ... I do however slam my blade on the ice with one hand both to vent and to not break my blade.

Lets face it hockey can be frustrating sometimes.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:42 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
With only one post, I almost wonder if this is a troll account.

Clearly, you are not the only one. You can see this even by watching NHL hockey. If it's a genuine question than, nope, it's fairly common to vent your frustrations, though learning to keep your emotions in check (usually) and your stick in one piece is generally the better route.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:42 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
I have only played hockey for 2 years. I have never slammed my stick in frustration. Maybe because I don't get frustrated because I know it is only a game and I am out there to have fun.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I do...I've actually broken a couple sticks out of frustration. I take it pretty personally, especially when I'm playing like crap. I see it as a double edged sword...I'm incredibly passionate, but I can get frustrated. I'm a lot better than I was a couple years ago though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Skraut

I'll hang my head and lightly tap my stick on the ice emphasize that I'm not happy with what I did, but I never abuse equipment.

Growing up, I always caddied for my father in his golf league. His partner was a hot head, always throwing or snapping clubs over his knee after a bad shot. I'll never forget the round though where he put 4 balls into the lake off the tee. He ran over and in a rage picked up his entire golf bag and threw it in the lake, and stormed off the course. About 10 minutes later we see him running back from the parking lot. He dives into the lake, pulls out his golf bag, opens it up, pulls out his car keys, then proceeds to throw the golf bag back into the lake.

While it was funny as hell to watch, it did imprint an important lesson at a young age to not let you anger destroy perfectly good equipment.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

IMO it's a bad sign when someone can't physically control themselves because of happenstance like missing a shot. Part of the mental aspect of the game is being under control and understanding that there are going to be bad bounces on a regular basis... it's wasted energy to throw a tantrum.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The one time I broke my stick this year was back to back games paired up with a guy who would yell at me whenever we got scored on. We were -3 one game and -2 the second game, when I told our defensive captain I couldn't play with him anymore. Frustrating because after each shift, no matter what I did, I'd get back to the bench and he'd lecture me what I did wrong. And this was a guy who scored his first goal in three years that season while I put up over 30 in the same time. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm great, but lecturing me about not changing because the other team was coming down the ice and would have been a 2-on-0...or when I get the puck deep I should have shot it, or when I shot it I should have passed it, etc.

So in the second game, we get scored on twice in the first ten minutes, I take a dumb penalty, they score while I'm in the box, and I just couldn't take it anymore. Broke the stick out of frustration on the bench.

Oddly enough, that was the turning point for our team and for me this past season. We were outshot 30-5 halfway through the second, but shut down the other team and came back to win. I finished the game with two assists and the OT game winning goal. We won out the year and made the playoffs, then beat the same team handily to go to the championship game.

So yeah, I'm not saying it's a great idea to break your stick, but when you're passionate and frustrated, I can certainly see why you'd do it, and I've done it before. It's stupid, and it costs money and ruins perfectly good equipment. Some guys will get emotional and start yelling at everyone on the bench, some guys hang their head and beat themselves up, some guys get frustrated and start taking bad penalties, and others are so detached they just go the bench and drink some water and it doesn't phase them.

Old
05-03-2010, 12:19 PM
noobman

If I screw up badly I'll whack my stick against the ice, or against the boards (never the glass). I'll usually hit the helmet cage on the bench if I feel like I need a wakeup call.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Monsignor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'll hang my head and lightly tap my stick on the ice emphasize that I'm not happy with what I did, but I never abuse equipment.
+1 on your post.... frustration comes with the territory and the venting or proper venting distinguishes those who play sport and those who are good sportsmen.

I will, on occasion, pop the butt-end on the ice out of frustration but never hard enough to do any damage to my equipment or the facility... at over $200/stick there are probably other things to break...

Monsignor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:10 PM
SERE 24
LGR

I broke sticks when I was much younger. By the time I was about 16 I'd been abused enough by the coaches of the various highly competitive travel teams I played with to know that showing extreme frustration was going to get me yelled at. I learned to go to the bench and sit quietly... I'd start to watch the game REALLY intently from the bench and not talk to ANY of my teammates.

As I got older and went to play college hockey I started to turn that time on the bench almost into a meditation (... that's a serious over exaggeration, but...). The stakes were higher and so the mistakes were more frustrating. I'd go quietly fume on the bench and watch the game almost hypnotically. I'd try to pick up a couple of "go-to" moves from specific skaters on the other team and watch the goalies tendencies. When my shift came up I would go out with one goal in mind; exploit what I've just seen. If I was lucky enough to get a shift against one of the skaters I'd noticed pulling the same move over and over, I'd try to anticipate it and light him up. If I got a good scoring opportunity, I'd try to focus on forcing the goalie to leave a big rebound or throwing the puck where he looked shaky. This way, I kind of learned to turn the shift or two right after bad mistake into some of my most effective, by really focusing in on the action and "silently vowing" to make up for it.

Generally I have a temper but on the ice, since I was young and chewed out by so many coaches for it, I learned to put it away. I've always been an extremely passionate player, as Jarick puts it; I've played through injuries and am constantly sacrificing my body, getting in a shooting lane or separating someone from a puck. I just eventually learned (luckily at an early age) not to waste that passion in frustration and to make up for any mistakes I make.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:03 PM
dabeechman

Hitting the glass at my rink would get you a game.

I would get pissed if I screwed up, but rarely let it get to me to the point where I lost my cool. Besides, I treat my sticks like I would treat a baby. They treat me right, so I treat them right.

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Thats pretty childish and is bad sportsmanship. Unless youre at a D1 college or pro level, youre not good enough to get mad.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
The Kult

unless I missed a completely wide open net that would have tied/won the game in the final seconds I refrain from doing so.
I spend alot of money on a stick to just slam it

The Kult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Axxion89

I'll hit my stick on the ice if I slip up on a shot or don't catch an easy pass, but its not hard. I just mostly curse and yell at myself, thats equipment friendly

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
I hit my stick against against the rink or the boards in frustration at times. Or when I get to the bench, I'll hit the wall behind me, but never do the stick swing at the post. I'm to poor to be buying new sticks.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
blueberrydanish

Sometimes Ill give a big ole windup with my stick like Im gonna nail the ice...then half way through remember thats wasted $$ that I spent if I finish lol. At times if Im near the boards and flustered Ill just slam it with my arm or hand.

Mostly Ill just be one of those guys that curses though.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:56 PM
OprtnShtdwn

My favorite was just last night, a guy tried taking a one timer, and i gloved it.... and then he proceeded to snap his stick in half.

Some guys.........

OprtnShtdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:00 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
I'm still learning how to skate so I'm at public skate a lot. There's this one kid that comes often and does air-stickhandling the whole time, then when he falls he gets on his knees and punches the ice several times very hard with his fist.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:09 AM
dabeechman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr580 View Post
I'm still learning how to skate so I'm at public skate a lot. There's this one kid that comes often and does air-stickhandling the whole time, then when he falls he gets on his knees and punches the ice several times very hard with his fist.
Is he the kid in your avatar?

dabeechman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:32 AM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabeechman View Post
Is he the kid in your avatar?
No, that's Troy. Far cooler than said kid.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:25 AM
Professor Dangles

Ballard does it all the time.

Professor Dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

So did Crosby :p

Old
05-04-2010, 04:03 PM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
I play D, and once when I got absolutely burned and scored on by an average player due to a brain fart, I smashed my stick over the glass next to the bench...shattering the glass and breaking my stick in the process. That cured that habit right quick.

Brad Doty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I saw a kid in a house league championship one time do this. His team was down by a goal with a few minutes left, he missed on a breakaway that would have tied it, so he threw his stick up against the glass (rather than grabbing the puck off the boards). He then yelled something obscene toward no one in particular, earning him two for unsportsmanlike plus a ten-minute misconduct. The other team scored on the ensuing power play and won by one goal.

When I was much younger, we were down by two with a couple minutes left. Our coach was a fan of the long shifts, so I figured I was done for the game and proceeded to chuck my helmet and gloves to the side when I got to the bench. Somehow, we scored a quick goal, necessitating the extra skater. That would be me, who was now unable to do it because I'd tossed my gear. Instead, it was someone who was affectionately called "Stonehands", which is saying something if you now how brutal my offensive game was. We lost by a goal, and neither old man (the coach or my dad) had to say anything to me about why not to make an ass of yourself.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote