HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WCSF | Game 2 | Detroit Red Wings @ San Jose Sharks | 8:00 PM EDT | TSN, VERSUS |

Old
05-03-2010, 06:35 PM
MtlPenFan

vCash: 500
It's gone back to "situational" refereeing this year.

After the lockout, the calls just went as is. Didn't matter what the score was, how many in a row you had just taken, etc., but it's slowly reverting back to the way things were.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoWingsFan View Post
Its not about mind games. The game is practically done. ALL the calls went the way of HIS team. Yet he finds the nerve to complain?!

I can't believe a clown like that every graced the bench of the Joe.
I think that's what good coaches do. They find/exploit anything that gives their team an edge. Hell, if Babcock could get some more calls to go our way by running his mouth, I have no problem with him doing it. And, honestly, I don't have a huge problem with our guys diving if that's what the refs are going to reward. No reason not to.

05-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
My opinion as an outsider

Yesterday was the worst officiated gameI have seen in playoffs in years

Wings got screwed

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 07:26 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
My opinion as an outsider

Yesterday was the worst officiated gameI have seen in playoffs in years

Wings got screwed
Good news is Wings still have an opportunity to win this series in 5 games or less. Who knows, this could shape up to be the most epic Sharks collapse of all time.

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Very well said and I thought the same thing. Everyone on the radio here is like "oh well, cant blame the officiating, SJ is better" and kissing Pavelski's butt.

But the fact of the matter is SJ needed 2 man advantages in both games to either tie or get the game winner.

Contrary to what most people seem to think, and as is the case once one commentator says it, such things seem to propagate themselves, I think Detroit has been the better team 5 on 5 aside from some periods early on in periods 1.

In the 3rd in the first 2 minutes we made what I counted as 3 scoring chances and 7 shots. We sure as hell didn't look like a team protecting the lead and were close to 1 more. And then....

Not to mention coaches. Anyone find is HILARIOUS to see that McLellan was yelling at the refs when Heatley got the interference penalty considering how they've bought hook-line-and-sinker every dive his team made?

Class.
Yeah, that took some Stan-Marsh-style, microwave-enhanced huevos for McLellan to complain about ANYTHING in game 2.

Sadly, Babcock seems to be quite happy just to roll over and get it again, since he gave the refs a love note in the postgame instead of the ass-chewing they so richly deserved.

Scotty never said anything nice about the refs. I am a Babcock supporter, but his inaction on this is completely unacceptable. It won't matter if he stirs things up after a game 3 loss - the series will be out of reach by then. This was his last chance to buy some makeup calls, and he passed.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Yeah, that took some Stan-Marsh-style, microwave-enhanced huevos for McLellan to complain about ANYTHING in game 2.

Sadly, Babcock seems to be quite happy just to roll over and get it again, since he gave the refs a love note in the postgame instead of the ass-chewing they so richly deserved.

Scotty never said anything nice about the refs. I am a Babcock supporter, but his inaction on this is completely unacceptable. It won't matter if he stirs things up after a game 3 loss - the series will be out of reach by then. This was his last chance to buy some makeup calls, and he passed.
So you think the only way to get a point across is to publicly humiliate the refs? Interesting.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:26 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
So you think the only way to get a point across is to publicly humiliate the refs? Interesting.
Whatever happened on the phone with Toronto, I don't think it will do a bit of good. I suspect you have a different opinion. This is Randy Carlyle's NHL - complaining gets you calls. All it took was one presser where Carlyle said the Wings cheat on faceoffs and they've been getting tossed unfairly ever since - 4 years later.

The refs are humiliating themselves publicly on the ice - their bosses clearly aren't doing their jobs. The only recourse available is to humiliate them to the media and get a buzz going.

As I said in the GDT, I didn't think the Wings would win this series anyway - I picked the Sharks in 7. Game 1 was absolutely the Wings' fault. But I didn't think they would have to put up with this kind of nonsense. I would have picked the Sharks in 5 if I had known that the linesmen (who have been kicking Wings out and letting Sharks cheat on every faceoff) and refs were part of the bargain.

Old
05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Mant*

So, here's the powerplay and penalty disparity between the sharks and their opponents in the playoffs so far.

Penalties
Sharks - 35
Opponents - 50

Powerplays
Sharks - 41
Opponents - 23

These playoffs are rotten.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
PocketGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mant View Post
So, here's the powerplay and penalty disparity between the sharks and their opponents in the playoffs so far.

Penalties
Sharks - 35
Opponents - 50

Powerplays
Sharks - 41
Opponents - 23

These playoffs are rotten.
I don't know about that though, I didn't watch the SJ v. Colorado series, but based on shots it was clear SJ controlled the play heavily and would have a heavy advantage in that PP time. Only in that series though.... this one the officiating has been terrible.

PocketGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Mant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGnome View Post
I don't know about that though, I didn't watch the SJ v. Colorado series, but based on shots it was clear SJ controlled the play heavily and would have a heavy advantage in that PP time. Only in that series though.... this one the officiating has been terrible.
San Jose controlled the play heavily in two of the games, two of the games were pretty even, one was tilted slightly for San Jose, and one was tilted more for the Avs. The Avs just allow a lot of shots, and have all season... even in games that they dominated.

A lot of it was caused by the refs though. They would call penalties on the Avs when they had momentum, and ignore what should have been penalties on the sharks.

I still say Bettman wants the Sharks in the finals.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:26 PM
YzermanWings19

YzermanWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
TorontoWingsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
I think that's what good coaches do. They find/exploit anything that gives their team an edge. Hell, if Babcock could get some more calls to go our way by running his mouth, I have no problem with him doing it. And, honestly, I don't have a huge problem with our guys diving if that's what the refs are going to reward. No reason not to.
Is there no integrity left in the game? I did not see Babcock one time act like McLellan did on that last penalty.

You're talking to me about things which should not be in the mix when talking about a playoff hockey game. No I don't want divers, no I don't want an ass of a coach, and no I don't want these theatrics. And don't tell me this is what it takes to win.

TorontoWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:57 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Is there no integrity left in the game? I did not see Babcock one time act like McLellan did on that last penalty.

You're talking to me about things which should not be in the mix when talking about a playoff hockey game. No I don't want divers, no I don't want an ass of a coach, and no I don't want these theatrics. And don't tell me this is what it takes to win.
I defer to the greatest coach of all time, Scotty Bowman.

He knew exactly what buttons to push and when to push them. If his team wasn't getting a fair shake, he damn well made sure he took care of it.

Babcock doesn't believe the refs have buttons. He can push his players' buttons until his fingers break, and it won't make a damn bit of difference if the other coach has his finger on the refs' buttons.

If the other guy has his thumb on the scale, you have to use your own thumb to at least balance it out.

He's an intelligent, experienced coach. It baffles me how he thinks this works to his team's benefit.

Old
05-03-2010, 11:02 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by YzermanWings19 View Post
Dude's scoring a point a game on a 6 month old ACL.

I think it's pretty funny that some fools choose him as their photoshop target.

With the way Kronwall, Zetterberg, Cleary and others have been playing, it's just sad that people think they have to focus on a guy just because he's not CURRENTLY scoring 9 goals a series. Ridiculous.

Old
05-03-2010, 11:51 PM
MrSandMan*

Lilja wrote on his blog that Wings will win series.

Quote:
Hi!

Not a fun day, yesterday ... as soon as we were taking charge of the game, we got a penalty, and then after a while when we were taking charge again, we got another one in the sinbin! It felt like the referee (I really hate to blame anything on the referees ) found a little too many penalties on us, and kept a damn funny level on the game! We were ahead and had the game in our pocket, then he finds two penalties on us, and that turns the whole game around! We played 12:54 with either one or two men in the sinbin, which doesn't make it easy to win games!

However, I really think in the longrun, that we are going to take care of business and win the second round in the playoffs, now we must win our two home games and then it's gonna be a real pleasure to travel to Sharkland and steal one of their home games! It's time to recharge, you have to be first to get four wins, so there's still a lot to play for!

Have faith in us, and as usual, be safe and I will write soon again.

REGARDS LILLS
http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=61686

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 12:25 AM
14ari13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98 View Post
This is why I started the thread about diving, but it was closed. I would stop watching hockey immediately. I hate diving and I really got upset when I saw how the Sharks were doing it.
To be fair to the Sharks not all was their fault. There was the penalty on Bertuzzi when he pushed a player from behind and the player just fell and Bertuzzi got called for holding. I do not think that player tried to get a penalty but the stupid refs called it.
Anyhow, this series is completely spoiled by diving in both games.
I thought/hoped it would be less diving in game 2, but the Sharks dove even more in game 2 than in game 1.

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote