HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Adjustments for game 3

Old
05-04-2010, 02:06 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaddbruins View Post
I agree that until we get senguin, you defineitly have a better team with both team having no injuries.
Seguin will be a scary addition to the Bruins. Giving Boston someone who can actually snipe? Count me out. Kessel left a big whole in your offense as a natural scorer. Seguin can definitely do that.

One thing you should take into account however is that JVR and Giroux are only going to get better. These two kids were ranked in the top 10 already drafted prospects before their NHL debuts for a reason. It wasn't just HF that felt this way either, though I know JVR closed out his career at #5 while Giroux I think finished at #8 when he graduated.

I could see Boston and Philadelphia at war for years to come.

Quote:
But dont forget we are missing seidenburg,stuart, which should have decimated our defence. Plus we are without sturm, and savard other than scoring that goal the other night, is not marc savard. We are actually using him to not help us win games, but to get him back in shape.
All understandable, but those factors aren't nearly as devastating as Gagne, Carter, Laperriere, and Emery. Sorry, you're not going to get any pity here. Should you be a better team than you are currently? Yes, but that's what makes the playoffs the playoffs. Unfortunately it normally boils down to injuries. The Flyers lost their two best all-around defensemen going into the ECFs in 2007-08 and lost two elite two-way forwards going into this round this year. It sucks, but there's nothing we can do.

I still think however that we have a chance. It's not like even with those losses the Bruins are much better than us. Let's give the Flyers a chance to play at home before we declare any verdicts.

Quote:
Your injuries are worse off than ours, but if we had these guys at 100 percent, we would be a different team as well. Those are two shutdown defensive defenseman, that would compliment rask more, which would make him even harder to score against.
I'm sorry. I know what you're saying, but if you matched up a pairing of Seidenberg and Stuart against a line of Gagne, Carter, and Laperriere, I can tell you right now who would win.

Quote:
I admit you are a very good team, and even though you may be to far out to come back against us, because of your injurys, next year i feel great by saying next year both the flyers and Bruins will be a much stronger team next year when we make the playoffs. It will be fun for both our teams for years to come.
I have a love-hate relationship with the playoffs. It's never about the best team, it's about the healthiest team. I love the dramatics and the fact that it's fairly wide open, but it sucks that the Flyers deal with these things year after year. Not much we can do about it except hope we get a real dog-fight in the first round next year and possibly get some kevlar in our skates.

Hopefully the Flyers will have a better goalie, and hopefully we'll both have full rosters. We're similar teams, and I respect a lot of that gusty work ethic you find with both franchises. I'd much rather have a rivalry against a team I hate and respect rather than a team like the Penguins, who just annoy me. So hopefully we have an awesome close out to this series in 6 or 7. It's been a treat so far despite the two away losses.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Homebrew76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If you think secondary scoring is our problem, then you're not seeing the whole truth here.

I think the amount of goals we have actually scored so far is a testament to our secondary scoring.

With Gagne and Carter out there's not much we can do. Add in the defensive efforts of those two and Laperriere, and it's easy to see why we're in the position we're in.

Take out Krejci, Bergeron, and Lucic. Then we'll see how effective you are at keeping pace with us even if Gagne, Carter, and Laperriere are still out. You can even bring all your other injured players back.

Hartnell has sucked, but the fact that we are even keeping up with the Bruins with these severe injuries is incredible in its own right.
Briere has played great for Philly and Carter is surely to find the back of the net again. But Philly does need to get the odd goal from the #2 and #3 lines which Boston has been effective at shutting down. A lot of the goals that have been scored thus far have been from Defensive zone turnovers which Philly has been good at forcing, that is where Boston's weak point is.

If both teams were fully healthy, and note we don't know what bumps, bruises and sprains players may be fighting though on both sides, I think Philly may be improved on the offensive side and on the PK, but Boston would be improved on the Defensive side as well, plus Savard would be back to his regular shift and not being slowly worked in.

At the end of the day I think Boston has more depth, a better goalie, and the leadership of Recchi. All of which should allow Boston to move on to round 3 in 5 or 6 games.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 05-04-2010 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Follow the forum rules.
Homebrew76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:35 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Score a damn goal JVR.
Patrick Kane Patrick Kane Patrick Kane....and we get JVR

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:40 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew76 View Post
At the end of the day I think Boston has more depth, a better goalie, and the leadership of Recchi. All of which should allow Boston to move on to round 3 in 5 or 6 games.
A fully healthy Flyers' offense is significantly better/deeper than Boston's. Fully healthy defensively, I consider it a wash. Goaltending I give the nod to Boston obviously.

Leadership? I'll take Pronger as a locker room voice before Recchi. Not that Recchi isn't a valuable veteran voice, but I don't think that's a war you want to be fighting against a locker room packed full of former captains and veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
Patrick Kane Patrick Kane Patrick Kane....and we get JVR
Give it three years.

Old
05-04-2010, 07:44 AM
jb**

Lavi should bake a cake.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:16 AM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Not play Parent and Kraijcek with 3 minutes to go

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:18 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

Don't give up on JVR. He's going to take a little longer to develop than kane.

I think the flyers need to find ways to spread the icetime. No easy task. But they looked tired in the third. I mean, what did Asham have? 6 minutes?

Not taking too many men would be helpful too.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Cmoneyflyguy

oh, and score first.

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:29 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew76 View Post
Carter is surely to find the back of the net again.
yeah, next season. he's out for playoffs.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:31 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

What I would like to see will never happen: Hartnell and Parent out. Bart and Maroon in.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:42 AM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
What I would like to see will never happen: Hartnell and Parent out. Bart and Maroon in.
In this series, Parent has more goals than:

Giroux
Hartnell
JVR
Carle
Carcillo
Leino
Powe
Asham
Krajicek
Timonen
Betts
Coburn
Nodl
Ross

Tied with: Pronger

So.......hes our third leading scorer in this series. Pretty sure that sums up what our problems are.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:48 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

Giroux
Hartnell
JVR
Carle
Carcillo
Leino
Powe
Asham
Krajicek
Timonen
Betts
Coburn
Nodl
Ross

So.......hes our third leading scorer in this series. Pretty sure that sums up what our problems are.
Pretty much. We cant score to save our life and are relying on Boucher to keep the other team to 1 goal a game.

We fail.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Sanders418777

Laviolette needs to get this team fired up before the 1st period in game 3. We come out so lack-luster and it has killed us both games. Maybe the fans can do it for us this time. I'm hoping for a serious speech before game 3 from Laviolette and a rocking crowd to get our boys moving their feet.

The forecheck has to be harder and the pressure on their forecheck has to be harder. Throughout both games there were times in even strength that the Bruins looked like they were on a 2 minute powerplay just dominating in our zone while our forwards floated around.

The fire has to be there. The will to win has to be there.

-Brieres defense has been a huge liability.
-Hartnells inability to play hockey is killing us.
-The 3rd pairing is hurting right now, switch Parent for Bart.
-Having AHLers of course hurts, but they need to atleast provide some energy.
-Both Giroux and JVR are having a good playoff and series, but they need to step it up even more and pot a couple.

Sanders418777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:53 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
Laviolette needs to get this team fired up before the 1st period in game 3. We come out so lack-luster and it has killed us both games. Maybe the fans can do it for us this time. I'm hoping for a serious speech before game 3 from Laviolette and a rocking crowd to get our boys moving their feet.

The forecheck has to be harder and the pressure on their forecheck has to be harder. Throughout both games there were times in even strength that the Bruins looked like they were on a 2 minute powerplay just dominating in our zone while our forwards floated around.

The fire has to be there. The will to win has to be there.

-Brieres defense has been a huge liability.
-Hartnells inability to play hockey is killing us.
-The 3rd pairing is hurting right now, switch Parent for Bart.
-Having AHLers of course hurts, but they need to atleast provide some energy.
-Both Giroux and JVR are having a good playoff and series, but they need to step it up even more and pot a couple.
Another thing that doesn't help is getting hooked/held on every faceoff. Normally I don't care about missed calls if the refs are "letting them play," but seeing as how faceoffs are a serious issue right now, we need to do something to free up our wingers off the draw.

Old
05-04-2010, 08:54 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Demote Harts, nevr let him play for the Flyers again, he is the worst player on the team, by far.

Leino reminds me of a poor mans Kovalev out there, really liking his game. Put JVR-Richie-Carbomb, and Briere-Roo-Leino and bench Harts.

I have never truly hated a Flyer, I am getting real close with the Curly Haired ****. When he went into the corner with Chara I was screaming for Chara to demolish him in the corner.

bennysflyers16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:56 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Demote Harts, nevr let him play for the Flyers again, he is the worst player on the team, by far.

Leino reminds me of a poor mans Kovalev out there, really liking his game. Put JVR-Richie-Carbomb, and Briere-Roo-Leino and bench Harts.

I have never truly hated a Flyer, I am getting real close with the Curly Haired ****. When he went into the corner with Chara I was screaming for Chara to demolish him in the corner.
Sadly enough, it may seem malicious to say this, but if Hartnell had gotten hurt instead of Gagne or Carter, we would not be in this situation right now. Hartnell is far from helping our team, he is hurting it.

I also can't believe someone said that Leino has been an issue. Leino has done everything we've expected and more.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Sanders418777

Leino has been awesome.
He may be top 5 puck handler on the team, and to think he was our 13th forward....

Old
05-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Sanders418777

I think Pronger physics are going to come into play big time in games 3 and 4. I'm calling a couple Bruins to get sat down hard from the big man. He's gotta set a huge tone, and make it early.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:14 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Last line change should be enough against this team. They're taking advantage of mismatches and botched assignments on our part. Had we caught a couple of bounces we could be going home up 2-0. It's now a very steep hill to climb, had we stolen a game there I'd say Flyers in 7. Since we lost both in Beantown, I'm thinking we lose in 7

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:20 AM
IrishSniper87

I want to move Hartnell at all costs. He just doesn't fit in here anymore.

I also want to keep Leino. He is cheap and useful scoring depth.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:41 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Give it three years.
JVR will never be in the same level as Kane. Ever. JVR lacks one of the most important things you can't teach, hockey sense and hockey IQ. I can see what he's thinking before he does it, I know what he's going to do before he does it. He's so god damn predictable if a 17 year old can see what he's going to do, no **** an NHL defenseman knows what he'll do. Kane will always and forever be a better player than JVR when their careers finish.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:44 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
JVR will never be in the same level as Kane. Ever. JVR lacks one of the most important things you can't teach, hockey sense and hockey IQ. I can see what he's thinking before he does it, I know what he's going to do before he does it. He's so god damn predictable if a 17 year old can see what he's going to do, no **** an NHL defenseman knows what he'll do. Kane will always and forever be a better player than JVR when their careers finish.
That's an INCREDIBLY bold statement.

I agree that Kane will forever be a better player unless something drastic happens, but JVR is going to be an incredible forward in this league as well. He brings a different skill-set than Kane too.

Still, to say he has no hockey sense or hockey IQ is beyond bold. He is a very smart and creative player. You will see once he gets used to a full NHL season and has a chance to develop as a player. I would go so far as to say that the direct opposite of what you said is true.

EDIT: Also, it's his 21st birthday. Let's not start throwing him under the bus again on his birthday. Wait at least until tomorrow before the usual panic and trade proposals start.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanders418777 View Post
I think Pronger physics are going to come into play big time in games 3 and 4. I'm calling a couple Bruins to get sat down hard from the big man. He's gotta set a huge tone, and make it early.
We've been waiting for the mean and nasty Pronger to put guys on the shelf all season, and have yet to see it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:55 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
We've been waiting for the mean and nasty Pronger to put guys on the shelf all season, and have yet to see it.
Pronger is on double-secret probation still.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:

Giroux
Hartnell
JVR
Carle
Carcillo
Leino
Powe
Asham
Krajicek
Timonen
Betts
Coburn
Nodl
Ross

After 2 games, you can't really clue on Parent scoring a goal when others haven't being a problem. That's just the guy who stepped up when the team needed a goal. What peeved me about it...whenever Ken Daneyko scored for the Devils, didn't they usually win?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote