HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy on Halak & Price

Old
05-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
He gave made props to Halak.

How is Price only 1 year younger? Isn't he closer to being 3 years younger than Halak? lol

EDIT: Halak's birthday is May 13th. How sick would it have been to have a game at the BC that day?
That might just be his English failing to properly explain that Halak has been with the big club and working with its coaches for 1 more year than Price.

And May 14th would be better (my birthday).

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Gilligans Island

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

If a team throws an offer sheet at Halak, up to how much do you think the Habs will match?

Gilligans Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:07 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong thread.

If a team throws an offer sheet at Halak, up to how much do you think the Habs will match?
We can avoid that by going to arbitration or getting a deal done before that. So I don't think there's much threat of that happening.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
We can avoid that by going to arbitration or getting a deal done before that. So I don't think there's much threat of that happening.
Sure, of course. Let me try again - assume Halak doesn't want to re-sign - at what point, would the Habs let him walk and take the picks?

Arbitration is another matter - if the Habs choose that course, then Halak has no choice.

Old
05-04-2010, 03:30 PM
AGalchenyuk27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
Sure, of course. Let me try again - assume Halak doesn't want to re-sign - at what point, would the Habs let him walk and take the picks?

Arbitration is another matter - if the Habs choose that course, then Halak has no choice.
I'd say between 3.5-4million is the most the habs would even CONSIDER matching. Taking nothing away from Halak but I can't see them matching anymore than 4 million and that might even be a stretch.

Halak just hasn't proved anything over a long term yet to command that kind of coin! And neither has price but I assume a fair contract for him would be between 2.5-3million

AGalchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:32 PM
twosaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyhabs87 View Post
He gave made props to Halak.

How is Price only 1 year younger? Isn't he closer to being 3 years younger than Halak? lol

EDIT: Halak's birthday is May 13th. How sick would it have been to have a game at the BC that day?
Carey turns 23 like three months after Halak turns 25, so about 2 years, roughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
That might just be his English failing to properly explain that Halak has been with the big club and working with its coaches for 1 more year than Price.

And May 14th would be better (my birthday).
Mine's May 12th. Taureans I'm pretty sure Halak has said something about the bull motif on his mask as related to being a taurus.

twosaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcooke View Post
I'd say between 3.5-4million is the most the habs would even CONSIDER matching. Taking nothing away from Halak but I can't see them matching anymore than 4 million and that might even be a stretch.

Halak just hasn't proved anything over a long term yet to command that kind of coin! And neither has price but I assume a fair contract for him would be between 2.5-3million
Thank you

Old
05-04-2010, 04:44 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauricesavard View Post
he really didnt say anything at all..
At least nothing new.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
twosaints

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
So Halak is RFA with offer sheet for two years.
And Price is RFA and will be eligible to an offer sheet in two years.

I think we can wait before rushing to trade two of our top-5 prospects.
Let's talk about this in 2011.

Meanwhile both will get at least 30 games.
May the winner win.
Not sure it was me you wanted to quote with that, but I'm an advocate of keeping both for the time being, so...yeah.

twosaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:47 PM
eightyseven

I'd personally be surprised if Pierre Gauthier just gave up on Carey Price at 22 years old. Remember, Price also had a spectacular rookie season and 2 playoff shut-outs that year(!). One good year/half of a season by any goaltender doesn't mean much. Management needs to also evaluate their technical abilities and who they believe will better in the long-term.

The Montreal media is actually good for something right now-for creating a "goaltender controversy" and Halak's value is at his highest right now. Halak wasn't playing this great in the first half of the season (see letting in 4 goals in regulation) and I doubt he will repeat these numbers in the future.

Bob McKenzie said it best, you don't just give up on a goalie with the size, skill set, athleticism and a winning resume when he's struggling early in his career.

There was another goalie who was drafted high, a blue-chip prospect and was traded at age 22 from the New York Islanders. His name? Roberto Luongo.

Some guys just take longer to develop...we need some god damn patience! Don't give up on this kid at age 22.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:05 PM
scottyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
I'd personally be surprised if Pierre Gauthier just gave up on Carey Price at 22 years old. Remember, Price also had a spectacular rookie season and 2 playoff shut-outs that year(!). One good year/half of a season by any goaltender doesn't mean much. Management needs to also evaluate their technical abilities and who they believe will better in the long-term.

The Montreal media is actually good for something right now-for creating a "goaltender controversy" and Halak's value is at his highest right now. Halak wasn't playing this great in the first half of the season (see letting in 4 goals in regulation) and I doubt he will repeat these numbers in the future.

Bob McKenzie said it best, you don't just give up on a goalie with the size, skill set, athleticism and a winning resume when he's struggling early in his career.

There was another goalie who was drafted high, a blue-chip prospect and was traded at age 22 from the New York Islanders. His name? Roberto Luongo.

Some guys just take longer to develop...we need some god damn patience! Don't give up on this kid at age 22.
Agreed.

If Halak had been playing like this for the last 2-3 years then I would be for trading Price. But the fact is he's been like this since december and was pretty average before december.

Is it just me or does Halak seem "tired" after 5-7 straight games?

scottyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:12 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post

Luongo was traded to make room for the higher drafted, hot young prospect Rick DiPietro.

And Price had a worse GAA than Price... And Halak is also stepping up when it matters...

You doubt he repeats those numbers again? He's doing it right now ....

How can you be so sure Price will repeat those numbers?

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Really didn't expect comments like that about Halak coming from Roy. That has got the be the ultimate praise Halak will ever get. The last goaltender to win the Cup in Montreal, one of the best goalies in the NHL's history and someone Halak looks up to.

On the subject of Price. Needs more development? I've only been saying that since the first season he was on the team. Yes, he did have a good rookie campaign and yes, he also has a lot of potential. But potential needs to be developped properly and turned into a puck-stopping machine. In Price's case, he was said to be "the future", when really "the future" meant "the right-now". I feel bad for him because all this pressure was put on him so early, that anyone could struggle under that.
I couldn't agree with you more!

I feel bad for Price because - at least IMHO - his career has been badly mismanaged - he should have spent an entire year down in the AHL, learining the pro game.

Ditto for Max Pax. Turned pro too soon, rushed into the NHL too soon and has struggled.

Subban spent an entire year in the AHL and now is playing like a poised veteran!

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post

You doubt he repeats those numbers again? He's doing it right now ....
Next season Natey Next season. This is still the same year. Halak has stepped up and choked some in the big spots. So I will say it again Next year, that will be the telling year for the goaltending situation.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote