HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Junland signs with Farjestad, no outclause

Old
05-02-2010, 07:34 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I would have guessed that The Blues would have offered Junland an $800,000 2-way contract. That would pay him what he'd be worth if he plays well enough to stay on The NHL roster, and still give The Blues the option to send him down for short periods. It would be too costly to keep hi in Peoria for the whole season. But that shouldn't have happened given Junland's recent improved play in his own zone. If he couldn't make the team (and wouldn't be reasonably close), he'd be traded off as a throw-in player, in a post Camp, preseason deal.
missing the point that he refuses to return to AHL so a 2-way contract is a deal breaker. If he doesn't make the Blues roster he heads to Europe so has next to no trade value because no GM in the league is going to guarantee him a roster spot.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
missing the point that he refuses to return to AHL so a 2-way contract is a deal breaker. If he doesn't make the Blues roster he heads to Europe so has next to no trade value because no GM in the league is going to guarantee him a roster spot.
I'm not stating what I think Blues' management should have done. There's nothing different they could have done that would be better. Junland forced them to let him play in Sweden this season because he refuses to play in The AHL. The y couldn't set a precedent by guaranteeing him a roster spot without his winning it, because he demanded it. Too many other young players would have done that, too.

I was just mentioning what I had expected them to offer. I know it wouldn't have made any difference. Let's hope he tries out for The Blues after one or two good SEL seasons, when he'll be an inexpensive 6th man to fill out the defence corps of Johnson, Pietrangelo, Cole and a UFA or traded for 1st pairing addition.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 08:41 PM
execwrite

It still seems like the majority here think the Blues owed Junland some guarantee of a job in the NHL.

I want players who want to fight for their roster spot - not think they are entitled to it. I think Tyson Strachan will be glad to take the opportunity that Junland just threw away.

Have a great career in Sweden, Jonas. Arrivederci.

execwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:50 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

I don't see anyone who said the Blues owed Junland a guaranteed spot. Perhaps you can find that quote for us, exec?

Old
05-03-2010, 10:29 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I think people are reading a lot into things. Junland has been consistent in saying that the NHL is his goal. By all accounts he's been a good citizen for two years in Peoria. A 2-time AHL all-star. He's shown good progress during his brief call-ups, but also shown that he's still going to be a defensive liability and that he's not as physically strong as he'll need to be to be valuable to a team in the NHL.

Its possible he can improve on both of those in the SEL. Ideally, I'd like to see him stay and work with Ayotte all summer, come into came breathing fire, and make the team keep him on the roster. It sounds like he's a bit more of a realist, and has made a contingency plan. I still have hope that he'll make progress this off-season, physically, and be a possible roster player. He's not that far away.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Yabob

Considering Swedish hockey isn't fast or physical I wonder how much he will actually improve in his own zone by playing in the SEL.

Yabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:49 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Hmmm Strickland's latest seems to indicate that this was a big surprise to the Blues. He also apparently turned down a one-way contract with the club. It seems a bit confusing.

Old
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Hmmm Strickland's latest seems to indicate that this was a big surprise to the Blues. He also apparently turned down a one-way contract with the club. It seems a bit confusing.
Junland turning down the one-way contract has been known for quite a while now. If he would've signed it, Junland would've been guaranteed $500k no matter if he played for the Blues or Rivs but it seems like he chose the guarantee of playing in the SEL over the uncertainty of playing in either the NHL or AHL. It seems he really did not want to play in Peoria again. The problem is that obviously the Blues can't guarantee him anything. I think they showed a lot of faith in him as IMO, it shows they thought he had a very good chance of making the team out of camp or they wouldn't have offered him the one-way deal. The Blues could have and would have sent Junland to the minors if he wasn't good enough and would've paid him the $500k to play for the Rivs but they're not in the business of throwing money away so my read on things is that the one-way offer in and of itself was as much as a guarantee as Junland will ever get.

For any of the Swedish posters, can any of you determine how much Junland's contract with Farjestad is for? My impression is that it's less than $500k but I'd like to know for sure.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL fan in IA View Post
Junland turning down the one-way contract has been known for quite a while now. If he would've signed it, Junland would've been guaranteed $500k no matter if he played for the Blues or Rivs but it seems like he chose the guarantee of playing in the SEL over the uncertainty of playing in either the NHL or AHL. It seems he really did not want to play in Peoria again. The problem is that obviously the Blues can't guarantee him anything. I think they showed a lot of faith in him as IMO, it shows they thought he had a very good chance of making the team out of camp or they wouldn't have offered him the one-way deal. The Blues could have and would have sent Junland to the minors if he wasn't good enough and would've paid him the $500k to play for the Rivs but they're not in the business of throwing money away so my read on things is that the one-way offer in and of itself was as much as a guarantee as Junland will ever get.

For any of the Swedish posters, can any of you determine how much Junland's contract with Farjestad is for? My impression is that it's less than $500k but I'd like to know for sure.
Stickland said it's for $400k..and that Junland was upset that the Blues didn't get him into enough games last year.

If true, well boo hoo.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
STL fan in IA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
Stickland said it's for $400k..and that Junland was upset that the Blues didn't get him into enough games last year.

If true, well boo hoo.
Agreed. I watched a decent amount of Peoria games, especially early on in the season and to me, Junland was very talented, helped the team offensively but just wasn't showing enough of an all-around game to get a serious look at the NHL level. He was fairly shaky defensively for a guy that was getting as much accolades as he was. He improved upon those things later on in the season but if he thinks he should've been recalled sooner, then instead of going back home, go clarify with the Blues what they think you need to do to reach your goal and then work your butt off in the off-season to work on your weaknesses and show up to camp hungry to earn a spot.

For anyone wondering, here's Strick's full tweet (many tweets added together given their character limitations):
Quote:
Blues D-man Jonas Junland does not have an out clause in his contract with SEL club but the Swedish Transfer Agreement allows him 2 play in NHL this season if he were to agree to contract with StL. It appears the Blues reluctancy to give him more NHL game this season upset Junland. His actions indicate he'd rather play for $400,000 in Sweden over $500,000 in NHL with Blues.

Old
05-04-2010, 04:21 PM
oPlaiD

This situations is getting more annoying. If the Blues offered him a one-way contract they are obviously confident he will make the team next year. They've shown they don't make financial decisions lightly with how they've handled other players and the minors.

Junland will NEVER have an absolutely guaranteed roster spot in the NHL until he proves it in the NHL, and the Blues are prepared to give him the chance. If he really wants to play in the NHL so badly, why is he not taking that chance, especially if he's making more money?

This really makes no sense at all.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:09 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Hmmm Strickland's latest seems to indicate that this was a big surprise to the Blues.
Why does anyone give Andy Strickland the time of day?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Prussian_Blue

I hate to say this, but I honestly think that a big part of the reason why the Blues have a hard time keeping kids on the farm, is because of where the farm team is located.

If the AHL club was loocated in a more cosmopolitan location -- even in St. Charles at the Family Arena -- as opposed to Peoria, I honestly believe the Blues would not have so many issues with players getting tired of staying there.

I love going to Peoria for games; I think it's a decent little city... but when you've got AHL franchises in places like Chicago, San Antonio, and Toronto, in happening spots like Austin TX, and in former NHL cities like Winnipeg and Hartford, Peoria just pales by comparison.

The arena is outdated; no skyboxes, mediocre concessions, and the press box is "Gilligan's Island"-style primitive. The press box in peoria is like the press box I was used to in Rockford... until they refurbished "The Big Orange Box" in downtown Rockford. Now their press box is like the Taj Mahal...

Putting the AHL franchise in a better location -- St. Charles; Seattle WA; Portland OR; Kansas City -- would go a long way towards helping the Blues keep some of these guys here and in the AHL

Just my $0.02.

P_B

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Why does anyone give Andy Strickland the time of day?

I find his blog to be worthwhile, though his analysis is sometimes lacking. He generally has some inside information that isn't readily available elsewhere. But feel free to ignore him. I just want to get info on the Blues.

Junland's guaranteed contract is the closest thing to a guaranteed spot that a guy is going to get. On the other hand, he just got done watching Stastny and a couple other players play out almost their entire contracts in the AHL.

If playing in the NHL is a goal, his actions are not logical. This smells like an immature tantrum rather than any kind of business decision. Even a trade is more likely if he's in the USA, if he thinks he can make it on another team.

I think you can still pin this on the Blues to some degree. If Junland had gotten a bit more of a look, I think he might have more respect for the NHL game and realize how much he still has to work on. As it is, he sounds like he feels he's fully deserving. He's under a bit of a delusion there, but I do think he could help the Blues.

Now Pietro has one less guy to compete with, and the Blues are more likely to either re-sign Cola or get another free agent.

Old
05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Good to see you P_B. I don't recall myself but do you remember if the move to Peoria was this ownerships decision or Bill Lauries?

I thought it was Bills call and that he had some connection to Peoria and that was why he moved the team there. I think you are on to something.

Old
05-04-2010, 07:09 PM
EOM

Quote:
I hate to say this, but I honestly think that a big part of the reason why the Blues have a hard time keeping kids on the farm, is because of where the farm team is located.

If the AHL club was loocated in a more cosmopolitan location -- even in St. Charles at the Family Arena -- as opposed to Peoria, I honestly believe the Blues would not have so many issues with players getting tired of staying there.

I love going to Peoria for games; I think it's a decent little city... but when you've got AHL franchises in places like Chicago, San Antonio, and Toronto, in happening spots like Austin TX, and in former NHL cities like Winnipeg and Hartford, Peoria just pales by comparison.

The arena is outdated; no skyboxes, mediocre concessions, and the press box is "Gilligan's Island"-style primitive. The press box in peoria is like the press box I was used to in Rockford... until they refurbished "The Big Orange Box" in downtown Rockford. Now their press box is like the Taj Mahal...

Putting the AHL franchise in a better location -- St. Charles; Seattle WA; Portland OR; Kansas City -- would go a long way towards helping the Blues keep some of these guys here and in the AHL

Just my $0.02.

P_B
Kansas City would be a good idea. It's still close to St. Louis and the team would probably sell more tickets because it's a bigger city.

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
Kansas City would be a good idea. It's still close to St. Louis and the team would probably sell more tickets because it's a bigger city.
Too bad they have apparently already decided to stay in Peoria.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Overkamp

You don't grow hockey by keeping a team close to the home team. Sorry, Peoria is TOO close. Where is the Oilers' farm team? Oklahoma or Nebraska?

Just saying..

There are reasons why things are the way they are.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Overkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zundo View Post
Too bad they have apparently already decided to stay in Peoria.
There is nothing wrong with Peoria. Nothing.

The Otters and others have failed for good reasons, in St Chuck or KC.

Old
05-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
Quote:
You don't grow hockey by keeping a team close to the home team. Sorry, Peoria is TOO close. Where is the Oilers' farm team? Oklahoma or Nebraska?

Just saying..

Where is Toronto's farm team? Toronto?
Chicagos is closer to Chicago.
Same with the Rangers, Islanders, Penguins, Bruins, and the Wings.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:56 PM
EOM

I know literally nothing about Peoria and I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with it or anything, I just think it would be cool to have a team in KC. The NHL seems reluctant to allow any of the current teams to move, so why not put an AHL team there?

EOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:52 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with Peoria. Nothing.

The Otters and others have failed for good reasons, in St Chuck or KC.
Didn't say their was. I was just raining on others parade. And screw putting anything in St. Charles

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 11:13 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:

Just saying..

I'm not sure what you mean about being too close. Help me understand why that is significant.

IMO being close is a great thing because it reduces overall operations costs.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Peoria is pokey town that international players probably find to be very boring. It is boring. It's awesome having it so close to STL, but it's in the middle of nowhere. A drive to Chicago is about two hours, so that is not doable on a consistent basis. Cham-Bana is a cool town, but that's all it is, a college town.

KC, on the other hand, is a kick ass city. In many ways it is way cooler than STL. St. Charles is not good enough, but it would be better than Peoria.

It's really too bad that The Blues have an agreement with Peoria still.

ChicagoBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:28 AM
STL fan in IA

Quote:

Just my $0.02.

P_B
I would have to agree with this. Peoria isn't horrible but it's not exactly ideal either and I'm sure young European kids would rather be in a larger city than Peoria. I can't think Peoria's any worse than Rockford though - I wonder if the Blackhawks will start having problems with young kids being asked to live in Rockford. I lived a couple years in Rockford after college and lets just say that it was BORING. I drove into Chicago almost every weekend instead so I would imagine Peoria would be about the same, only farther away from Chicago and a few hours away from STL as well.

PB, I might've asked you this already - if so I've forgotten the answer but what did you do for the Ice Hogs? Was this the current Ice Hogs or the previous UHL version?

As for where the Blues could move their farm team...wherever it would be, moving it there would be easier said than done. I would say KC would be ok but I doubt they want to use the Sprint Center for a minor league team...and I can tell you that oftentimes a 20,000 seat arena is simply too big for AHL hockey. That's one of the main reasons the AHL failed here in Des Moines. They played at an awesome 18,000 seat arena but when you have 3-4000 fans spread out in 18,000 seats, the atmosphere sucks and the team couldn't keep up with the overhead costs.

Old
05-05-2010, 03:01 AM
Plager05

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOM View Post
I know literally nothing about Peoria and I don't mean to imply there is anything wrong with it or anything, I just think it would be cool to have a team in KC. The NHL seems reluctant to allow any of the current teams to move, so why not put an AHL team there?
There is absolutely nothing to do there and it's hours from St. Louis or Chicago. It's not the nicest place either.

I can understand Junland not wanting to play in the AHL I guess, and its frustrating but we should just forget about him.

I want players who will dedicate themselves to the organization and play with all the other members of it down at Peoria instead of wanting to go off and do what they want. It's not just important for Junland's development it's important for the whole organization's development that our young prospects grow together as pro's on the AHL team.

And maybe Junland might just be a little miffed because he has seen Oshie Perron an Berglund all get shots at the NHL with little or no time at Peoria while he has put in 2 years and seen very little time.

He was also staring at a possible Peoria blueline of him Pietrangelo, Cole, Strachan and Rundblad, lots of competition for ice time even down there.

To me it looks like he signed with Farjestad because he'll have a prominent role which isn't worst reason for a guy to do something like this. The Blues should just set an example and move on quickly though. They need to demand dedication from their players to get the best ones.

Plager05 is offline   Reply With Quote