HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

5/4 Discussion - Worst Draft In Wild History

View Poll Results: Which was the worst Minnesota Wild draft?
2004 NHL Draft 3 42.86%
2005 NHL Draft 3 42.86%
2006 NHL Draft 1 14.29%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
5/4 Discussion - Worst Draft In Wild History

One of the problems with the Wild right now is due to asinine drafting in the middle of decade. Whether it is the 12 pick 2004 draft with the Wild getting ~30 games played in five years, the Benoit Pouliot/Matt Kassian 2005 draft or the James Sheppard screwup in 2006, we can all agree that these are three horrible years of drafting.

So the question today is: Which draft is the worst and why? If you need a refresher as to who was drafted when, here's a link to HockeyDB.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:36 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

the 06 Draft wasn't bad- We got Clutterbuck in Round 3, and I think Medvec can still pan out.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I like Clutterbuck but when he's the best player you have and you pick (what looks like) the only bust out of the first fifteen picks that's not the world's best draft.

Old
05-04-2010, 03:57 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

2004. I know the draft overall was weak but seriously that was our 'rebuilding' year. What a great year to rebuild in a weak ass draft.

Thelen was a major bust, Voloshenko got messed up, Olvecky was a plugger (and probably our best player from that draft), Stoner would have been good but he continually got injured, we gave up Ryan Jones for garbage, Bordeleau did squat, Sprunger wants nothing to do with our franchise, Sawyer did squat, Boogaard what a huge reach only because we had his brother, Rizk did squat, Khudobin is a decent goaltender but I don't know if he'll make it and Wilson never signed and he actually turned out to be a good player.

So we got 1 player out of 12 draft picks. And he's constantly injured. That was a bad, bad draft and pretty much killed the Wild.

2005 would have been worse if we didn't get something from Pouliot. But Kassian, Westblom, Bailey, Madsen, Aiello and Emmerson? That's 0 players.

2006 is better with Sheppard (heh), and Clutterbuck but Fiala (seriously, drafting a guy with that many medical red flags?), Mdevec, Hovinen, Walker and Hickey? UGH!

Brutal drafting in 3 years.

I think we got 1 quality player, we were lucky to trade another one off...and...then...uh crap.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:24 PM
State of Hockey

2005, and it wasn't because of Pouliot. It was because we got zilch from the rest, and the Kassian pick was the worst pick in the history of the team.

2004 can be picked on, but the first two picks busted for reasons outside of talent. Sometimes you just lose. 2004 actually was the best late round drafting year so far. 2004 is one you just move on from.

2006 is tough to not select because of Sheppard, but the rest were pretty good. Fiala, Clutterbuck, and Medvec were solid. Too bad Fiala couldn't shake the injury bug. 2006 is my very close second-worst draft.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:41 PM
mnwildgophers

All 3 were horrible, but I'm going with 2005 because it gave us 0 players that we own now. Kassian was a horrible, horrible, pick. I hope we can put these 3 years our of our memories soon.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:00 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
All 3 were horrible, but I'm going with 2005 because it gave us 0 players that we own now. Kassian was a horrible, horrible, pick. I hope we can put these 3 years our of our memories soon.
This plus the fact Risebrough whiffed on a top-five pick (something which can set your franchise back years) is pretty much why it's the worst in my eyes. A lot of the moves in later drafts were made because of how Pouliot and Kassian (along with Thelen and the 2004 class) did not pan out.

Old
05-04-2010, 10:21 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post

2004 can be picked on, but the first two picks busted for reasons outside of talent. Sometimes you just lose. 2004 actually was the best late round drafting year so far. 2004 is one you just move on from.
We got 0 players from 2004?...And best late round drafting year? We got no one from that draft. And the thing is, that was the year we were suppose to be rebuilding.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:58 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
This plus the fact Risebrough whiffed on a top-five pick (something which can set your franchise back years) is pretty much why it's the worst in my eyes. A lot of the moves in later drafts were made because of how Pouliot and Kassian (along with Thelen and the 2004 class) did not pan out.
werd homey. BTW, when you coming home??

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

End of the month.

Old
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
This plus the fact Risebrough whiffed on a top-five pick.
Yeah, we whiffed on Benny, but that top-10 was horrible. We didn't have a very good chance at #4 in hindsight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
We got 0 players from 2004?...And best late round drafting year? We got no one from that draft. And the thing is, that was the year we were suppose to be rebuilding.
Maybe you need to remember the 2004 draft. Stoner? Olvecky? Jones? Khudobin? Wilson? A couple of them never played for us, but Jones was an asset used for Zidlicky. Stoner and Khudobin are still in the organization. And BTW, all of them, along with a good draft pick in Sprunger that didn't work out, were from the 3rd round and on. Very good late round drafting that year. And even the first two picks were just a case of bad luck. 2004 was a not a "bad" draft. Sometimes you draft great talent and crap happens.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote