HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So...you still wanna fire Homer?

Old
05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Every time I think that Samuelsson is making 2.5M while Hartnell makes 4.2.

I kind of do.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:05 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Every time I think that Samuelsson is making 2.5M while Hartnell makes 4.2.

I kind of do.
Homer gambled and gave Hartnell a contract based on the kind of production he thought Scott would put up in the future. Hartnell showed glimpses of that potential last season and definitely earned his salary; I was really hoping that was going to be his breakout campaign. I don't know what the reasons are for his considerable decline this year (and if the rumors about his personal life are true, then I'd say that's a pretty legitimate reason), but he's gotta get his mind right and his **** together for next season. I really don't see the Flyers trading him this offseason, mainly because he'd fetch basically no value in return, and selling low is always a terrible strategy. It'd be much better to just hope he bounces back in 2010-2011 and then go from there.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:20 AM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Homer gambled and gave Hartnell a contract based on the kind of production he thought Scott would put up in the future. Hartnell showed glimpses of that potential last season and definitely earned his salary; I was really hoping that was going to be his breakout campaign. I don't know what the reasons are for his considerable decline this year (and if the rumors about his personal life are true, then I'd say that's a pretty legitimate reason), but he's gotta get his mind right and his **** together for next season. I really don't see the Flyers trading him this offseason, mainly because he'd fetch basically no value in return, and selling low is always a terrible strategy. It'd be much better to just hope he bounces back in 2010-2011 and then go from there.
maybe, but sometimes you have to disregard sunk costs, and sell low before you sell lower. If moving Harts, even for little return, opens up cap room to address goaltending and line balance, I'm all for it.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
He also just recently played his 100th NHL game.
That's because Parent was injured the other 100. I can't wait until he's gone. So much potential to be a top shut down guy, absolutely zero ability on the ice. He's digressed so bad that it's almost better that he move on from here.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
maybe, but sometimes you have to disregard sunk costs, and sell low before you sell lower. If moving Harts, even for little return, opens up cap room to address goaltending and line balance, I'm all for it.
Everyone talks about addressing goaltending this offseason... but what's really out there? What have Nabokov and Turco proven beyond the regular season? I'm just not sure it's the best strategy to throw an obscene amount of money at two guys who will both be 35 at the start of next season. Even if Turco doesn't demand a high salary (Nabokov will), he's definitely on the downside of his career (hasn't posted a save % above .913 since 2002-2003) and, in my opinion, a poor investment. Who else is on the market? Dan Ellis? One good season. Chris Mason? Solid, I guess, but not exactly someone I'd consider the answer to our goaltending woes. Vesa Toskala? Gross. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to sign one of these guys. Obviously, it's a shame that Hiller and Rinne both re-signed with their current teams instead of testing the free agent waters.

I guess the other option is to trade for a goalie, but, again, who's out there? Carey Price? Maybe he needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, or maybe he actually is damaged goods. Philly isn't Montreal, but it's not exactly the easiest place for a mentally fragile goalie to play, either. Huet and his inflated salary? No way. Tomas Vokoun? Say goodbye to one of JVR or Giroux, in addition to something else. Cory Schneider (for the umpteenth time)? Intriguing, but it'd be his first year starting full-time in the NHL. On several occasions people have mentioned Josh Harding, who won't be getting a chance to start in Minnesota, so long as Backstrom is around. But again, just like with Schneider, it'd be his first year as a full-time starter in the NHL. With the team we currently have (specifically referring to the ages of Pronger and Timonen), I'm afraid we don't have the luxury of betting on an unproven goalie. I suppose Tim Thomas is an option, but he's another older guy (36) with a considerable salary ($5M per season through 2012-2013) of whom I'd be wary. In the end, however, he's the guy I could see ending up as the most realistic option.

I am, however, interested in how the Flyers supposed pursuit of this Sergei Bobrovsky kid turns out. If nothing else, I'd be excited to see how he performs in camp. Would he be someone I'd be comfortable betting on for the 2010-2011 season? At this point, of course not because he's completely unproven on this side of the pond. I'll have to see him in person before I make any judgments, but he's an intriguing prospect to keep a close eye on.

All in all, this offseason is a total toss-up in terms of what Homer decides to do about goaltending. Whatever the case, something must be done to solidify the position, especially after the Ray Emery fiasco of a gamble.

Old
05-04-2010, 04:27 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Everyone talks about addressing goaltending this offseason... but what's really out there? What have Nabokov and Turco proven beyond the regular season? I'm just not sure it's the best strategy to throw an obscene amount of money at two guys who will both be 35 at the start of next season. Even if Turco doesn't demand a high salary (Nabokov will), he's definitely on the downside of his career (hasn't posted a save % above .913 since 2002-2003) and, in my opinion, a poor investment. Who else is on the market? Dan Ellis? One good season. Chris Mason? Solid, I guess, but not exactly someone I'd consider the answer to our goaltending woes. Vesa Toskala? Gross. I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to sign one of these guys. Obviously, it's a shame that Hiller and Rinne both re-signed with their current teams instead of testing the free agent waters.

I guess the other option is to trade for a goalie, but, again, who's out there? Carey Price? Maybe he needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, or maybe he actually is damaged goods. Philly isn't Montreal, but it's not exactly the easiest place for a mentally fragile goalie to play, either. Huet and his inflated salary? No way. Tomas Vokoun? Say goodbye to one of JVR or Giroux, in addition to something else. Cory Schneider (for the umpteenth time)? Intriguing, but it'd be his first year starting full-time in the NHL. On several occasions people have mentioned Josh Harding, who won't be getting a chance to start in Minnesota, so long as Backstrom is around. But again, just like with Schneider, it'd be his first year as a full-time starter in the NHL. With the team we currently have (specifically referring to the ages of Pronger and Timonen), I'm afraid we don't have the luxury of betting on an unproven goalie. I suppose Tim Thomas is an option, but he's another older guy (36) with a considerable salary ($5M per season through 2012-2013) of whom I'd be wary. In the end, however, he's the guy I could see ending up as the most realistic option.

I am, however, interested in how the Flyers supposed pursuit of this Sergei Bobrovsky kid turns out. If nothing else, I'd be excited to see how he performs in camp. Would he be someone I'd be comfortable betting on for the 2010-2011 season? At this point, of course not because he's completely unproven on this side of the pond. I'll have to see him in person before I make any judgments, but he's an intriguing prospect to keep a close eye on.

All in all, this offseason is a total toss-up in terms of what Homer decides to do about goaltending. Whatever the case, something must be done to solidify the position, especially after the Ray Emery fiasco of a gamble.
I'd definitely go for at least Ellis/Mason/Turco/etc.

I mean, sure it's not a great market, but if you look at it, there's only really 3-4 teams that will need a starter.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
eightyseven

Quote:
I guess the other option is to trade for a goalie, but, again, who's out there? Carey Price? Maybe he needs a change of scenery to get his career back on track, or maybe he actually is damaged goods. Philly isn't Montreal, but it's not exactly the easiest place for a mentally fragile goalie to play, either. Huet and his inflated salary? No way. Tomas Vokoun? Say goodbye to one of JVR or Giroux, in addition to something else. Cory Schneider (for the umpteenth time)?
Price is damaged good at age 22? You really should watch the guy play during games instead of just listening to the anti-Price Montreal media.

Carey Price's technique/skill set is very, very good. His lateral movement, rebound control, puck-handling and patience on breakaways/odd-man rushes are excellent. The raw talent is there. In fact, just watch his NHL Highlights video from this season. His save % is still top 20 in the league and he plays in Montreal, arguably the hardest place to play in his position, it's not like he's at sub .900%.

eightyseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:20 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:

Carey price is exactly who I'm referring to. And, if there's a Flyers related upshot of this postseason, it will be that Montreal will be keeping Halak and moving Price, the Flyers damn well better be looking at Price. Because he will be a stud, and the other options suck, and I'm not comfotable with boosh/leighton going forward.

Old
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightyseven View Post
Price is damaged good at age 22? You really should watch the guy play during games instead of just listening to the anti-Price Montreal media.

Carey Price's technique/skill set is very, very good. His lateral movement, rebound control, puck-handling and patience on breakaways/odd-man rushes are excellent. The raw talent is there. In fact, just watch his NHL Highlights video from this season. His save % is still top 20 in the league and he plays in Montreal, arguably the hardest place to play in his position, it's not like he's at sub .900%.
I don't listen to anti-Price Montreal media, hence why I also said he might just need a change of scenery (notice there was an "or" in the sentence). What's the price tag (no pun intended), something outlandish?

How's his mental state?

Old
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Centauris*

Quote:
I don't listen to anti-Price Montreal media, hence why I also said he might just need a change of scenery (notice there was an "or" in the sentence). What's the price tag (no pun intended), something outlandish?

How's his mental state?

He seems like a guy that enjoys playing the game..

Centauris* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's because Parent was injured the other 100.I can't wait until he's gone. So much potential to be a top shut down guy, absolutely zero ability on the ice. He's digressed so bad that it's almost better that he move on from here.
How can you have tons of potential and zero ability? Does not compute.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 11:54 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Carey price is exactly who I'm referring to. And, if there's a Flyers related upshot of this postseason, it will be that Montreal will be keeping Halak and moving Price, the Flyers damn well better be looking at Price. Because he will be a stud, and the other options suck, and I'm not comfotable with boosh/leighton going forward.
I agree. Panaccio has said they will be try to get him this summer.

Quote:

How's his mental state?
Not a Montreal fan obviously, but I think his mental demeanor has been overblown. People jump to the conclusion that he can't handle pressure because he hasn't been as good in years 2 and years 3 and he was in his rookie season, but all I see is the typical growing pains of an extremely young goalie. Ryan Miller seemed to also regress a bit in his 2nd and 3rd years and he turned out fine. He was also much older than Price when he came into the league.

When Price was drafted his mental demeanor was actually one of his strengths. He was a goalie that wasn't easily rattled.

I think he seems a bit immature, though, but he will probably grow out of that.

Montreal fans think it will cost JVR or Giroux to get Price. I am in the minority but I'd deal JVR for him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:09 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post

Not a Montreal fan obviously, but I think his mental demeanor has been overblown. People jump to the conclusion that he can't handle pressure because he hasn't been as good in years 2 and years 3 and he was in his rookie season, but all I see is the typical growing pains of an extremely young goalie. Ryan Miller seemed to also regress a bit in his 2nd and 3rd years and he turned out fine. He was also much older than Price when he came into the league.

When Price was drafted his mental demeanor was actually one of his strengths. He was a goalie that wasn't easily rattled.

Montreal fans think it will cost JVR or Giroux to get Price. I am in the minority but I'd deal JVR for him.
That just has reverse LeClair mojo written all over it.....

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
That just has reverse LeClair mojo written all over it.....
It's funny because Habs fans are scared to deal Price or Halak to us because they feel it will work out the way that trade did.

I think both JVR and Price will be great. I just feel like we need the goaltending more.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
JSTAFF

Quote:
It's funny because Habs fans are scared to deal Price or Halak to us because they feel it will work out the way that trade did.

I think both JVR and Price will be great. I just feel like we need the goaltending more.
I hear ya. It could go either way, or it could work for both.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Other than the whole Carter/Hartnell thing, are there other rumors about his personal life??? It wouldnt surprise me if something was going on, he has been pretty consistent in his production the last 4-5 seasons, this year was a disaster!

Quote:

I wouldnt deal JVR for him. I would go with someone decent like Mason, Ellis, etc. before I give up anyone like JVR/Giroux. I would actually move Carter before either of them. Goaltending hasnt been the problem with the team this year by any means. Yes we need someone better, but it hasnt been the reason for the problems this season.

Hartnell and Carle need to go....

Homer is hanging off the ledge by one finger in my mind....I give him one more chance to fix the issues he created for himself, but if he doesnt this offseason, I would fire him.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
I wouldnt deal JVR for him. I would go with someone decent like Mason, Ellis, etc. before I give up anyone like JVR/Giroux. I would actually move Carter before either of them. Goaltending hasnt been the problem with the team this year by any means. Yes we need someone better, but it hasnt been the reason for the problems this season.

Hartnell and Carle need to go....

Homer is hanging off the ledge by one finger in my mind....I give him one more chance to fix the issues he created for himself, but if he doesnt this offseason, I would fire him.
JVR and Giroux won't get moved. I'm sure the organization agrees with me. I'm also sure they won't deal Carter, but yes, I think they would consider moving him before they moved one of those two.

Also, goaltending was not the problem, but injury after injury was. You can fire the training/medical staff, but what would that solve? They can't control Pronger shooting out the feet of two of our best two-way forwards. They can't control Laperriere taking one to the face. They can't control Emery's genetic condition.

Holmgren built a Stanley Cup worthy team, again. People are just going to sit here and blame other things for us not winning the Cup when we all know it was injuries. So, let the bus-throwing game commence. I'll step aside now.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Kaktus*

If Price is a real deal, I would deal JVR for him. No question about it. I do not understand why any Flyers fan would say no.

That is ONLY if I somehow knew that Price can be our #1 for the next 12-15 years. This is huge trade for us especially with Carter and Richards as well as young Giroux already on board.

I am just tried going into playoffs with the same god damn questions. Who is in the net and how he will perform? Year, after year after mother****ing year, same old, god damn ****ing story. Mother****ing goalie uncertainty in the city of Philadelphia.

Sure, Turco may help and we won''t have to move someone worthy to get him.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 05-05-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
JVR and Giroux won't get moved. I'm sure the organization agrees with me. I'm also sure they won't deal Carter, but yes, I think they would consider moving him before they moved one of those two.

Also, goaltending was not the problem, but injury after injury was. You can fire the training/medical staff, but what would that solve? They can't control Pronger shooting out the feet of two of our best two-way forwards. They can't control Laperriere taking one to the face. They can't control Emery's genetic condition.

Holmgren built a Stanley Cup worthy team, again. People are just going to sit here and blame other things for us not winning the Cup when we all know it was injuries. So, let the bus-throwing game commence. I'll step aside now.
How does a stanley cup worthy team limp into the playoffs on the very last possible outcome? They are not a stanley cup worthy team in the least. I hope shooter, if he is back, realizes that the devils series was fools gold. They have run into a decent bruins team, not great, and look at the result. Stop with the injury excuse. It is old and weak. So damn tired of th eif they were healthy routine. Keep convincing yoruself they are good enough. Without the injuries they still were not good enough. A home rliek you though cant see it for what it is though. Shooter could have controlled emery;s condition by having a back up plan. The excuses you make up for this orginization are sickening. If this was s atnley cup team why did htey struglle the whole year chief?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
im actually with chris on this one. emery getting hurt, and the transition to lavi midseason were major obstacles, as were other injuries

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Serious?

Old
05-05-2010, 09:01 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Serious?
We'd get a lot more for Carter. Like a LOT more. Think Toronto getting Kessel more.

Note that I wasn't saying to move him or that it would be a good idea. I just think Giroux and JVR will be more important to this team in 3-4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
How does a stanley cup worthy team limp into the playoffs on the very last possible outcome? They are not a stanley cup worthy team in the least. I hope shooter, if he is back, realizes that the devils series was fools gold. They have run into a decent bruins team, not great, and look at the result. Stop with the injury excuse. It is old and weak. So damn tired of th eif they were healthy routine. Keep convincing yoruself they are good enough. Without the injuries they still were not good enough. A home rliek you though cant see it for what it is though. Shooter could have controlled emery;s condition by having a back up plan. The excuses you make up for this orginization are sickening. If this was s atnley cup team why did htey struglle the whole year chief?
You know, it's taking all my energy not to completely tear into you. I'm so sick of your crap. Tonight, just this once, knock it off. I'm not in the mood.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:05 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
If Price is a real deal, I would deal JVR for him. No question about it. I do not understand why any Flyers fan would say no.
How about you stop watching the games with your eyes closed?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
We'd get a lot more for Carter. Like a LOT more. Think Toronto getting Kessel more.

Note that I wasn't saying to move him or that it would be a good idea. I just think Giroux and JVR will be more important to this team in 3-4 years.

You know, it's taking all my energy not to completely tear into you. I'm so sick of your crap. Tonight, just this once, knock it off. I'm not in the mood.
I mean, I get just as frustrated with Carter as the next guy, but hes still a 6'3" 25 year old center who already has a 45 goal season under his belt.

Giroux, and especialy JVR are still essentially prospects. Good ones, but they haven't proven much.

Old
05-05-2010, 09:07 PM
jb**

Quote:

Wow, you tearing into me, that might be kind of fun. Then all i ask is to stop with your nonsense that this is a stanley cup caliber team. It isnt. How you can really say otherwise just baffles me. You enjoy your night.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote