HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

Old
05-01-2010, 03:53 PM
SiouxPride

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
About those things...You can't actually stickhandle that well with a regular puck on them right? They'd still flop if you moved them too fast.

Is that why you use the green biscuit for the stickhandling? Does it flip around at all or is it still not that good?

I need something for actual stickhandling...I have a smart ball but I wanted to get something that's an actual puck, so I'm hoping that skill pad + green biscuit will do the trick.
The " green biscuit " is actually a puck thats plastice that is used for inline hockey, some call it a roller puck or and IDS puck ... http://images.google.ca/images?q=ids...N&hl=en&tab=wi , there are various kinds of IDS pucks,

SiouxPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 03:55 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gajic View Post
The " green biscuit " is actually a puck thats plastice that is used for inline hockey, some call it a roller puck or and IDS puck ... http://images.google.ca/images?q=ids...N&hl=en&tab=wi , there are various kinds of IDS pucks,
Well they don't actually use the green biscuit for roller hockey...You're not supposed to shoot it. It's for stick handling only. I know there are different types of pucks out there, but the consensus seems to be that the green biscuit is the best for off-ice stickhandling training (Even better than the fly puck).

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 04:16 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
About those things...You can't actually stickhandle that well with a regular puck on them right? They'd still flop if you moved them too fast.

Is that why you use the green biscuit for the stickhandling? Does it flip around at all or is it still not that good?

I need something for actual stickhandling...I have a smart ball but I wanted to get something that's an actual puck, so I'm hoping that skill pad + green biscuit will do the trick.
You can still use a regular puck on the board, and yeah it does flip up from time to time. We did a full review on our site.

The green biscuit is definitely the best, even on pavement it does not flip up that often, the shooting pad is great because it has less friction and reduces wear on your blade.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 04:21 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Well they don't actually use the green biscuit for roller hockey...You're not supposed to shoot it. It's for stick handling only. I know there are different types of pucks out there, but the consensus seems to be that the green biscuit is the best for off-ice stickhandling training (Even better than the fly puck).
yeah we have tested the flypuck and the green biscuit, the green biscuit was my favourite. They sell them at hockeyshot, you could pick one up with the shooting pad - Green biscuit

Old
05-01-2010, 07:35 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
You can still use a regular puck on the board, and yeah it does flip up from time to time. We did a full review on our site.

The green biscuit is definitely the best, even on pavement it does not flip up that often, the shooting pad is great because it has less friction and reduces wear on your blade.
How much blade wear would you say it causes versus ice? Also posting that site just made it really hard for me not to get some of this stuff...must...resist...

One more thing if you know...the hockey tiles they sell seem to be cheaper than just the pads, is there a difference in performance etc, if not wouldn't just buying 2-3 of the tiles seem to be much better than a pad?

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 08:02 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
How much blade wear would you say it causes versus ice? Also posting that site just made it really hard for me not to get some of this stuff...must...resist...

One more thing if you know...the hockey tiles they sell seem to be cheaper than just the pads, is there a difference in performance etc, if not wouldn't just buying 2-3 of the tiles seem to be much better than a pad?
I haven't tested the tiles yet, they seem good though. You would need a nice flat surface to put them on though so there are no ridges. I guess the benefit of the tiles would be that you could buy a few every month and keep expanding your area.
if you order anything use this coupon HOWHCKY001 you'll get $10 off anything over $100

Old
05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
I haven't tested the tiles yet, they seem good though. You would need a nice flat surface to put them on though so there are no ridges. I guess the benefit of the tiles would be that you could buy a few every month and keep expanding your area.
if you order anything use this coupon HOWHCKY001 you'll get $10 off anything over $100
Cool appreciate it

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
rinkrat22

also you can pass the green biscuit. my kid pass that thing back and forth all summer on the driveway. dont shoot it though or it will break.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2010, 09:02 PM
boot399

wow this looks awesome http://www.hockeyshot.com/Super_Snip...erpack-004.htm

boot399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by boot399 View Post
The trouble I always have is the regular vulcanized rubber pucks grab too much and sometimes mess shots up. The non-marking pucks are the best if you can find them for cheaps.

I am going to shoot video this week soon, I have been pretty busy for a a couple of weeks now and am chompin' at the bit to get this done for this thread.

I dug out my Easton 100Flex silver aluminum, my cheap assed woddies and a good compoisite that I won't cry over if I break the blade shooting off of a plank of particle board.

I want to see if there really is all that much difference between the three. Even that has to be eyeballed as I do not have a radar gun but it should be interesting to see the results anyway.

Anyway yeah that thing looks good but overpriced for all that stuff.

A guy in here bought his stuff at Home Depot for cheaps, the sheet to shoot off of I mean and not the other stuff on that link.

I used to use a kitchen table that was covered in formica with the legs removed obviously. I would look stupid standing on a table with its legs still on it.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 07:04 AM
boot399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
The trouble I always have is the regular vulcanized rubber pucks grab too much and sometimes mess shots up. The non-marking pucks are the best if you can find them for cheaps.

I am going to shoot video this week soon, I have been pretty busy for a a couple of weeks now and am chompin' at the bit to get this done for this thread.

I dug out my Easton 100Flex silver aluminum, my cheap assed woddies and a good compoisite that I won't cry over if I break the blade shooting off of a plank of particle board.

I want to see if there really is all that much difference between the three. Even that has to be eyeballed as I do not have a radar gun but it should be interesting to see the results anyway.

Anyway yeah that thing looks good but overpriced for all that stuff.

A guy in here bought his stuff at Home Depot for cheaps, the sheet to shoot off of I mean and not the other stuff on that link.

I used to use a kitchen table that was covered in formica with the legs removed obviously. I would look stupid standing on a table with its legs still on it.
yeah thats what i have its actually really good but alot of broke cuz of my friends steeping on it oh and btw you should also put wood polisher on it after it drys its like super fast

boot399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I took some slappers this weekend and tried to take a new video...didn't work out so well because it was so windy and it kept knocking the camera over.

I picked up a new shaft, actually an old TPS tapered intermediate, to see how I'd shoot with a whippier stick (since I was getting no flex on my 75). I don't think there was any change in velocity, but I lost some accuracy on the slappers. Wristers seemed a little stronger.

I did find my accuracy went way, way up when I shot from the very heel of the stick. I think the really whippy shaft combined with the deflection of the blade amplifies any missed shots. But shooting from the very heel it was like pinpoint accuracy (hit 7/9 posts once).

Think I'll stick with the whippy shaft for now as it feels pretty good. I'm going to keep my eye out for a Forsberg type blade though, might be easier to shoot from the very heel of that compared to my huge hook.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 11:41 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I took some slappers this weekend and tried to take a new video...didn't work out so well because it was so windy and it kept knocking the camera over.

I picked up a new shaft, actually an old TPS tapered intermediate, to see how I'd shoot with a whippier stick (since I was getting no flex on my 75). I don't think there was any change in velocity, but I lost some accuracy on the slappers. Wristers seemed a little stronger.

I did find my accuracy went way, way up when I shot from the very heel of the stick. I think the really whippy shaft combined with the deflection of the blade amplifies any missed shots. But shooting from the very heel it was like pinpoint accuracy (hit 7/9 posts once).

Think I'll stick with the whippy shaft for now as it feels pretty good. I'm going to keep my eye out for a Forsberg type blade though, might be easier to shoot from the very heel of that compared to my huge hook.
I've got an 85flex and a 100 flex. I notice when I switch from one to the next that my accuracy is way off because I have to shoot differently with the 100flex. It seems with the 85 the puck is on the blade longer, and that gives me a bit more time to control where the puck is going

With the 100 flex it seems like right when I hit the puck, it launches it. Kind of like comparing flicking an eraser with one of those hard wooden rulers vs one of the more flexible plastic ones.

Old
05-04-2010, 12:54 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
I've got an 85flex and a 100 flex. I notice when I switch from one to the next that my accuracy is way off because I have to shoot differently with the 100flex. It seems with the 85 the puck is on the blade longer, and that gives me a bit more time to control where the puck is going

With the 100 flex it seems like right when I hit the puck, it launches it. Kind of like comparing flicking an eraser with one of those hard wooden rulers vs one of the more flexible plastic ones.
Yeah, that definitely has to do with more loading with the whippier flex. A kind of cool observation really. Also, not questioning, but based on your video you don't look like a guy who really will get much out of a 100 flex, especially if you're cutting it at all. So if you're not over 200lbs and you're using a 100 stiff, you're probably not getting much loading at all which would definitely contribute to feeling the puck is off the blade the instant you make contact. I've decided to try cutting down some sticks this summer and learning to play with a much shorter stick and as a result I'm thinking I'm going to end up buying a 77 and cutting it down to about an 85. I had been using 87s. I expect to get better puck handling control, add a little to my shot and feel an increase in loading, but I also expect it will be a pretty big adjustment to significantly change the height of the stick I'm playing with after a long time with one length.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 04:02 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterqvist24 View Post
Yeah, that definitely has to do with more loading with the whippier flex. A kind of cool observation really. Also, not questioning, but based on your video you don't look like a guy who really will get much out of a 100 flex
Totally agree, I am 6 feet tall so I don't cut at all. But the lower flex is better for now

I bought a low flex stick and a high flex stick to compare them throughout the challenge.

I plan on bulking up during the summer and doing specific workouts to build slapshot strength and I wanted to see the difference as I progress

Old
05-04-2010, 04:34 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I'm going to start training my core muscles a lot more to see if that makes much of a difference (I've heard it does).

Also, I'm going to try to work on that whole turning too early thing

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
I'm going to start training my core muscles a lot more to see if that makes much of a difference (I've heard it does).

Also, I'm going to try to work on that whole turning too early thing
It wasn;t horrible or anything, it was just something I noticed. I bet you can get some good rips with it if you tweak a bit.

I'm going to have to choke up on my composite stick since i have it at a length for wearing skates. I'm not sure how that will work out, I have woodies and an aluminum at the proper length for sneakers.

I should get some video going by the end of the week. I have been pretty busy and I need daylight obviously to make the video as well as the weather to cooperate. It has rained more than anything else this spring.

Old
05-05-2010, 02:53 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
It wasn;t horrible or anything, it was just something I noticed. I bet you can get some good rips with it if you tweak a bit.

I'm going to have to choke up on my composite stick since i have it at a length for wearing skates. I'm not sure how that will work out, I have woodies and an aluminum at the proper length for sneakers.

I should get some video going by the end of the week. I have been pretty busy and I need daylight obviously to make the video as well as the weather to cooperate. It has rained more than anything else this spring.
I've only got sticks that are cut for me with my skates on. It really is a huge difference wearing sneakers and trying to shoot with a stick that is at the level of your lower lip. That said if you'd be able to get your hands on some inline skates you'd be able to shoot with your better sticks.

Yesterday i put my inlines on and was surprised how similar it felt. I plan on rollerskating alot during the summer, and of course shoot alot of pucks with them on. I will also be doing crossovers to all directions, which im finally starting to get good at.

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
FinHockey
KRH Master Race

vCash: 50
It took a while but I finally shot the new videos. The second set was pretty crappy, but I uploaded it anyway. Here's the third set of videos:

+ I thought that my wristers suck ass so I thought I should upload a video of them(sorry for only one angle):

FinHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
I've only got sticks that are cut for me with my skates on. It really is a huge difference wearing sneakers and trying to shoot with a stick that is at the level of your lower lip. That said if you'd be able to get your hands on some inline skates you'd be able to shoot with your better sticks.

Yesterday i put my inlines on and was surprised how similar it felt. I plan on rollerskating alot during the summer, and of course shoot alot of pucks with them on. I will also be doing crossovers to all directions, which im finally starting to get good at.
I had some recreational Inlines that I was shooting with, until I broke them with the force I was putting on them practicing my weight transfer for my slapshot.

HeadCoach actually posted something not too long ago about building a platform 2 1/2 inches tall to simulate standing on skates. I did some measurements comparing my skates to sneakers and that seems to be about the right height. I'll probably put something together this weekend.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 08:59 AM
MJAYK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I had some recreational Inlines that I was shooting with, until I broke them with the force I was putting on them practicing my weight transfer for my slapshot.
How much were they? I've got a pair of Crazy Creek inlines. If i remember correctly they were pretty expensive when i bought them just to skate and get into shape. I highly doubt they will fall apart, even i will use them the whole summer. Oh, we'll see!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:32 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

no worries, any little thing helps .

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
How much were they? I've got a pair of Crazy Creek inlines. If i remember correctly they were pretty expensive when i bought them just to skate and get into shape. I highly doubt they will fall apart, even i will use them the whole summer. Oh, we'll see!
they were $100 about 10 years ago. I skated in them once, blew out my knee, and then never wore them again until a few weeks ago when I started shooting in them.

(the fact that I'm 6'4" 270 lbs probably didn't help)

Last edited by Skraut: 05-05-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinHockey View Post
It took a while but I finally shot the new videos. The second set was pretty crappy, but I uploaded it anyway. Here's the third set of videos:

+ I thought that my wristers suck ass so I thought I should upload a video of them(sorry for only one angle):

Well ... you need practice. You are not going to be able to shoot a very hard slapshot overnight to begin with so be patient and practice.

The basics to help you out ...

1. Don't use so much of the toe (the tip end) of the blade. try to have the puck somewhere in htemiddle of your two footed stance in front of you. It isn;t an exact science and that differs from person to person slightly but basically always in about the same place.

2. Don't listen to people in here telling you to hit before the puck to flex your shaft for more power. That is what you should do but not in the stage you are currently in with your shooting skills.

3. Try to drop down lower and put more strength and energy into the shots. You look like you are almost bored and just lightly going through the motions.

As I like to say 'get mad at the puck!'.

Try those first and then worry about all the leg drive stuff, a lot of it will come naturally anyway out of a necessity from shooting harder. I mean your arms can only do so much on their own.

I think you will be okay

Like beavboyz said when he made the thread, get some critique and take a week of practicing and post another video.

The real trouble with video is that it is not 3D and often something looks like they are shooting with the puck too far in front and it really isn't.

That being said try to have the puck somewhere in the middle of your feet in front of you, this will cut out a lot of the toe shooting naturally I think.

Old
05-05-2010, 03:07 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Well ... you need practice. You are not going to be able to shoot a very hard slapshot overnight to begin with so be patient and practice.

The basics to help you out ...

1. Don't use so much of the toe (the tip end) of the blade. try to have the puck somewhere in htemiddle of your two footed stance in front of you. It isn;t an exact science and that differs from person to person slightly but basically always in about the same place.

2. Don't listen to people in here telling you to hit before the puck to flex your shaft for more power. That is what you should do but not in the stage you are currently in with your shooting skills.

3. Try to drop down lower and put more strength and energy into the shots. You look like you are almost bored and just lightly going through the motions.
I agree with most of this, power comes from arms, legs, shoulders,core and stick. So take a shot, then ask yourself "Am I using my shoulders enough?" take another shot and ask if you are getting enough power from your legs (push off with your back leg to help transfer energy) Do this for each power source to ensure you are getting power from each source.

Number two is the only one I would have to disagree with. You are still going to want to hit the ground an inch or two behind the puck, this is the only way you will load the stick, which is half of what the slapshot is all about. I started hitting the ground a few inches behind, now I hit it about 10 inches behind because if I don't the stick will not be fully loaded.

Number one piece of advice, keep on shooting!