HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PK Subban

Old
05-05-2010, 12:58 AM
Soth

vCash: 833
PK Subban

I know there is pretty much no way Montreal would trade PK, but wow he looks like the perfect offensive Defenseman for Vancouver.

I'd like to see a trade of Cody Hodgson for PK. Just for kicks, what do you all think it would take to get PK?

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:00 AM
Bieksallent

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
I know there is pretty much no way Montreal would trade PK, but wow he looks like the perfect offensive Defenseman for Vancouver.

I'd like to see a trade of Cody Hodgson for PK. Just for kicks, what do you all think it would take to get PK?
Right now is absolutely not the time to trade for PK Subban. As good as he has played in the handful of games so far in the playoffs, he's still largely unproven. The hype he's received is astronomical and his value has rocketed up along the hype. Bad idea. Trade for him after he struggles playing a 82 game season next year if a team really wants him. He'd be nice to have but at the moment he's not exactly what we need.

Sorry for being a negative Nancy! I wouldn't give up any of our big prospects for him, to be honest.

Bieksallent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Anonymous User

Surely Ellington is more NHL ready and has more upside than Subban, which is why he was drafted ahead of him. Wake up, people.

Anonymous User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:10 AM
DreamCatcher*

Canucks have their own PK Subban in development--Kevin Connauton. He is just as dynamic and physical as Subban.

DreamCatcher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Solidius

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Canucks have their own PK Subban in development--Kevin Connauton. He is just as dynamic and physical as Subban.
But he's white.

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Hollywood Burrows

PK is pretty raw, but he's got some amazing ability. He's gonna be a good one

I hope Connauton can develop along the same lines, though I've only seen a bit of him and I dunno if he has the physical tools of a PK.

Also, my buddy nicknamed him PFK Subban, which is pretty funny.

Hollywood Burrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 05:03 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Ricky View Post
Right now is absolutely not the time to trade for PK Subban. As good as he has played in the handful of games so far in the playoffs, he's still largely unproven.
...and Hodgson is? I'm a huge Hodgson fan, but neither have them have proven anything in the NHL.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutupgrapes View Post
PK is pretty raw, but he's got some amazing ability. He's gonna be a good one

I hope Connauton can develop along the same lines, though I've only seen a bit of him and I dunno if he has the physical tools of a PK.

Also, my buddy nicknamed him PFK Subban, which is pretty funny.
As in Kentucky Fried Chicken but in French? Let's not go there.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:43 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 888
based on his playoffs so far pk is untouchable

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Riven

The way I see it, we have an age gap on defence between Edler and Connauton/Sauve. We also have a lack of toughness beyond SOB.

Outside of Ehrhoff, Edler and SOB, we have age issues or big question marks. And, many would add SOB to the question mark category, leaving only Ehrhoff and Edler as sure fire defenders to build around.

I can't see any reason for Montreal to give up Subban. But, I do see the Canucks making some kind of deal to trade away excess forward talent to acquire a defender.

The good news is that Gillis doesn't have to target just one type of player. The combination of what we have on defence and what we need is such that a number of different types of defenders will fill the bill. Personally, I would like to see us bring in a mobile, physical defenseman. But, clearly, that isn't the only option that makes sense.

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Reign Nateo

Please for the love of God don't propose this anywhere near a Habs fan right now...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher View Post
Subban right now is a couple clear steps above Connaughton.

No way in hell the habs trade Subban right now with Markov only under contract for one more year (I believe). Markov's also had a few injury problems the last couple years.

Subban is as close to untouchable as they come on the Habs right now.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 11:12 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensign Ricky View Post
Right now is absolutely not the time to trade for PK Subban. As good as he has played in the handful of games so far in the playoffs, he's still largely unproven. The hype he's received is astronomical and his value has rocketed up along the hype. Bad idea. Trade for him after he struggles playing a 82 game season next year if a team really wants him. He'd be nice to have but at the moment he's not exactly what we need.

Sorry for being a negative Nancy! I wouldn't give up any of our big prospects for him, to be honest.
I agree completely with this. There is a long list of players that come out of the gate quickly and have their values hyped because of this. Remember Latendresse on the same Habs team when he first broke into the league after his draft year? The hype around him was just amazing ... until he was dealt. And this isn't just with the Habs - a lot of teams go through this with their prospects.

Makes no sense to ever deal for a still unproven prospect when their hype is so inflated. And I doubt Gillis is the type of GM that would overpay anyways for such assets.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 11:22 AM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I agree completely with this. There is a long list of players that come out of the gate quickly and have their values hyped because of this. Remember Latendresse on the same Habs team when he first broke into the league after his draft year? The hype around him was just amazing ... until he was dealt. And this isn't just with the Habs - a lot of teams go through this with their prospects.
Until Latendresse was dealt and had a career year?

Old
05-05-2010, 11:30 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Until Latendresse was dealt and had a career year?
yup... that's my point. If you traded for him in 06 or 07, soon after he was drafted, his trade value would have been huge. But after hitting the wall in his development, like most prospects do at some point, his was traded for another struggling prospect (who's value also took a considerable dive after being drafted).

if you're interested in Subban, the time to trade for him is when his value will be lower - like it is for the majority of prospects who come out of the gates strong. Trading for him now, you better hope he develops exactly as he's advertised right now, because you're going to be giving up asset value for a quality #1 dman, considering his age, upside and contract. You're better off giving that much for a sure thing.

Old
05-05-2010, 11:33 AM
LostMyGlasses*

I don't know many young, projected top pairing dmen that are given up on after a couple years.

Jack Johnson, perhaps, but that was because of a whole slew of other issues.

Old
05-05-2010, 11:56 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I don't know many young, projected top pairing dmen that are given up on after a couple years.

Jack Johnson, perhaps, but that was because of a whole slew of other issues.
from 04: Barker, Smid, Valabik, Meszaros, all saw their values drop after they were first drafted and hyped as top dmen.

from 05: besides Johnson, you also had Brian Lee, Parent and Niskanen, all of who's value is likely at a low right now after being very hyped early on... Vlasic came out of the gates like gangbusters, but has since settled down.

It's not unusual for defense prospects, just like forwards and goalies, to have their hype early and their values lowered as their development either slows down or stall... often times they improve again, but all these guys were very hyped early on and considered top pairing/top line guys soon after being drafted and when they first arrived in the NHL. My guess is that Subban is the same... he could surprise and turn out to be great, but the chances of that are slimmer than him hitting a wall in his development sometime in the next couple years... that's not to say he won't eventually improve - but his trade value is likely to be effected when some questions do inevitably come up about his ceiling.