HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Bettman: No big cap changes expected for 2010-11/Brooks update

Old
05-03-2010, 10:18 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Bettman: No big cap changes expected for 2010-11/Brooks update

Quote:
Commissioner Gary Bettman said during a press conference at United Center that he doesn't expect the NHL salary cap to change all that much next season.

The upper limit entering the 2009-10 season was $56.8 million, which was $100,000 more than the previous season. While Bettman wouldn't give an exact figure Monday night, he said he doesn't expect the number for 2010-11 to be that much different.

"I think we're going to be flat or maybe up a tad," Bettman said. "Our revenues, and again it is premature, we're either going to be flat or up or down a little bit. We have to factor in the Canadian dollar. Last year, in local currency, we were up 5 percent. But because the Canadian dollar went down by about 12 or 13 cents, that kind of sheltered the growth.

"This year, I think local revenues are going to be flat, or up or down a little bit, and the Canadian dollar's up. I always see these projections that we're going to be down 20 percent because of the economy -- not true. We'll probably be up a little bit or flat. I don't think it will be down."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=528017

The 09-10 salary cap was going down by $2.5 million but the NHLPA exercised their 5% inflator to increase it by $100,000.

The Canadian dollar is up this season so the cap will increase slightly or stay flat without the PA needing to exercise their 5% bump. The players have complained so much about escrow that it seems unlikely they vote for another 5% bump and lose more money. Each team is going to receive $3.5 million in escrow this season from the players. That is money paid to the players but is placed in escrow to make sure the players get their share and no more.

If the Canadian dollar was strong last season,the 09-10 cap would have been more than $56.8 million.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 05-09-2010 at 06:52 AM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2010, 10:26 PM
TheHotRock

rangerboy,

i think you would make a fine nhl employee. as always, good info.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 06:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

If you add all of the Rangers one way contracts and everything which makes up the summer cap which is the upper limit plus 10%,the Rangers don't have much flexibility.

Quote:
(ii) Upper Limit.
(A) With the exception of the Bona-Fide Long-Term
Injury/Illness Exception set forth in Section 50.10(d) below
and the Performance Bonus Cushion set forth in Section
50.5(h) below, no Club shall at any point during a League
Year be permitted to have an Averaged Club Salary that
exceeds the Upper Limit of the Payroll Range.
(B) Nevertheless, in order to ensure that Clubs may have
sufficient time and flexibility to plan their rosters during
the off-season, the Upper Limit shall be temporarily raised
by ten (10) percent to permit Clubs additional flexibilit y
with their Averaged Club Salaries during the period from
July 1 until and including the last day of Training Camp.
On the day following the last day of Training Camp, the
Upper Limit shall again be lowered to the level as
calculated in Section 50.5(b), and all Clubs must once
again be in compliance wit h the Upper Limit from the day
following the last day of Training Camp until and including
June 30.
Quote:
(i) "Averaged Club Salary." "Averaged Club Salary" shall mean the
entire aggregate amount committed by each Club in a League
Year, calculated daily, as Player Salaries and Bonuses in that
League Year (and which is intended to include any and all other
commit ments to Players as set forth below), with Player Salaries
and Bonuses calculated in accordance with the "Averaged
Amount" as defined below. The calculation of Averaged Club
Salary does not include Benefits. Actual Club Salary is utilized to
calculate the League-wide Player Compensat ion, as contrasted
with Averaged Club Salary, which is utilized to determine a Club's
Payroll Room.

(A) From July 1 until and including the last day of Training
Camp of each League Year, "Averaged Club Salary" for
each Club for that League Year shall be calculated as the
sum of the Player Salary and Bonuses for that League Year
for each and every Player, from the following categories:

(1) The Averaged Amount of the Player Salary and
Bonuses for that League Year for each Player under
a One-Way SPC with the Club; plus

(2) All Deferred Salary and Deferred Bonuses to be
earned in that League Year (in accordance with
Section 50.2(a) and Section 50.2(b), respectively);
plus

(3) All Ordinary Course Buyout Amounts to be paid in
that League Year (in accordance with Section
50.9(i)); plus

(4) Any amount offered in that League Year by the
Club in a Qualifying Offer or in an Offer Sheet to a
Restricted Free Agent from the date of such offer
until the earliest of the following: (A) the
Restricted Free Agent signs an SPC with the Club;
(B) the Restricted Free Agent signs an SPC with
another Club; or (C) the Qualifying Offer expires
pursuant to Article 10.2 (for purposes of Two-Way
Qualifying Offers, the NHL portion of the
Qualifying Offer will be counted at a rate reflective
of the Player's time on an NHL Roster (including
days on Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster and
Non Roster status) the prior League Year so that,
for example, a Player who spent forty-six (46) days
on an NHL Roster (including days on Injured
Reserve, Injured Non Roster and Non Roster status)
in a 184-day regular season, and receives a
Qualifying Offer for $500,000 (NHL) / $50,000
(AHL), the portion of his Qualifying Offer that will
count for off-season accounting purposes will be
46/184 x $500,000 = $125,000); plus

(5) For any Player under a Two-Way SPC, the NHL
portion of the SPC will be counted at a rate
reflective of the Player's time on an NHL Roster
(including days on Injured Reserve, Injured Non
Roster and Non Roster status) the prior League
Year so that, for example, a Player who spent forty-
six (46) days on an NHL Roster (including days on
Injured Reserve, Injured Non Roster and Non
Roster status) in a 184-day regular season, and has a
Two-Way SPC for $500,000 (NHL) / $50,000
(AHL), the portion of his NHL Salary and Bonuses
that will count for off-season account ing purposes
will be 46/184 x $500,000 = $125,000; plus

(6) For SPCs entered into prior to the execut ion of this
Agreement, the face amount of any vested option,
the face amount resultant from a salary revision, a
salary or bonus guarantee, or other such
compensatory provision in such 1995 Standard
Player Contracts (see also Exhibit 16 of this
Agreement regarding options); plus

(7) With respect to any new Player Salary or Bonus
dispute between a Player and a Club arising after
the execution of this Agreement (i.e., relating to
Player Salary and Bonuses payable on account of
the 2005-06 League Year or any subsequent League
Year), any amount paid (excluding interest) in
satisfaction of any award or judgment relating to, or
settlement of, any such dispute, but only to the
extent that such amounts have not otherwise been
included in the Player's Player Salary or Bonuses.
Say the upper limit is $57 million. Add 10%. $62.7 million. If you add all of the Rangers one way contracts including Redden,Brashear and Rissmiller plus Johnson's pro rated $210,000 for this season which is applied to the summer cap(5),other players under 2 way contracts who played in the NHL this season and the Rangers QO's,it's like $51.5 million not including Lisin's $830k QO which he won't get(you would think). If Staal gets a long term deal,it's going to eat up big room. His QO is $803,250 based on his $765,000 salary. If Staal gets $3.5 million,that 4 times his QO.

Everyone doesn't include Redden,Brashear(stuck with his cap hit unless they trade him or place on LTI which isn't until October and the Rangers would need to be near the upper limit to get that benefit) and Rissmiller in their team projections but the Rangers can't remove that money from their cap until the season starts. If they can't remove the money until October,they're stuck.

When Torts talks about getting younger. The Rangers may have no choice if you look at their cap.

Old
05-04-2010, 07:09 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
If you add all of the Rangers one way contracts and everything which makes up the summer cap which is the upper limit plus 10%,the Rangers don't have much flexibility.

Say the upper limit is $57 million. Add 10%. $62.7 million. If you add all of the Rangers one way contracts including Redden,Brashear and Rissmiller plus Johnson's pro rated $210,000 for this season which is applied to the summer cap(5),other players under 2 way contracts who played in the NHL this season and the Rangers QO's,it's like $51.5 million not including Lisin's $830k QO which he won't get(you would think). If Staal gets a long term deal,it's going to eat up big room. His QO is $803,250 based on his $765,000 salary. If Staal gets $3.5 million,that 4 times his QO.

Everyone doesn't include Redden,Brashear(stuck with his cap hit unless they trade him or place on LTI which isn't until October and the Rangers would need to be near the upper limit to get that benefit) and Rissmiller in their team projections but the Rangers can't remove that money from their cap until the season starts. If they can't remove the money until October,they're stuck.

When Torts talks about getting younger. The Rangers may have no choice if you look at their cap.
Interesting. This should be blasted to everyone on the forum just so they know how tight we are. It can certainly impact what happens with Staal. Perhaps even a handshake deal where they know the terms of the K, but don't actually sign until training camp opens up, due to these restrictions.

NOTE: My analysis comes from Capgeek.com, which includes Byers, Voros, and Gilroy on the team.

Also, it's not official, but if you include MZA's K at say, $900k, it gets even tighter.

So, in the end, the Rangers are left with about $11.2m, if they were to exceed the cap by the allotted 10% until the season started.

Staal - $3 - $3.5m
MZA - $900k

That's $4.4m right there. Add Girardi, Prust, and possibly Christensen getting re-signed out of the RFA's. They need about $3.2m, and that's being generous. That makes it $7.6m, leaving $3.6m, INCLUDING the 10% overage. With that, we still need a backup, 1 more forward, and probably a 7th D.

Backup - $750k
Forward (Shelley?) - $750k
7th D - $800k

Those #'s leave $1.3m.

Reality check, folks.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewDream View Post
Reality check, folks.
Big time. Good work on those calculations.

They will have to move a big salary at the draft if they want the flexibility to make a roster change. If you're stuck trying to dump money entering camp, it will a disaster of epic proportions. IMO, they're better off just doing nothing entering next season, when at years end, most of the current contracts will expire anyway.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 08:37 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:

Reality check, folks.
Good. Maybe this will stop the Kovalchuk fantasies.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:08 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Its a ****ing travesty that Rissmiller is still on the books.

Unbelievable. Nice break down everyone.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:25 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sorry, but I have to be the guy with blind faith towards Sather when it comes to cap room.

In each of the last three seasons, he's been helped by unexpected deletions off his salary cap.

Last year, it was Naslund retiring and Gomez being traded.

This year, it was deleting Kotalik

This offseason, i will personally ruck marck 25 miles with 80 pounds of gear in the summer heat if Sather has not found a way to shed one of Redden's, Rosie's, Drury's or Brashears contracts.

In fact, I'll even go as far as to say that I guarantee Redden's salary -- or most of it -- will be eradicated from the salary cap.

Now I'm not saying that he will do it to sign Kovalchuk.

All I'm saying is that we all get depressed, nervous and defeatist when it comes to our cap situation, then Sather comes out of left field and delivers.

Does that equate a recipe for a successful season? Not at all. But the Rangers' cap situation will be far from dire over the next two seasons, IMO

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:34 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Savvy Lee View Post
Does that equate a recipe for a successful season? Not at all. But the Rangers' cap situation will be far from dire over the next two seasons, IMO
That will depend less on how he clears cap space and more on how he uses that cap space. There's only so much you can work the system before you've painted yourself into a corner.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 10:57 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Sorry, but I have to be the guy with blind faith towards Sather when it comes to cap room.

In each of the last three seasons, he's been helped by unexpected deletions off his salary cap.

Last year, it was Naslund retiring and Gomez being traded.

This year, it was deleting Kotalik

This offseason, i will personally ruck marck 25 miles with 80 pounds of gear in the summer heat if Sather has not found a way to shed one of Redden's, Rosie's, Drury's or Brashears contracts.

In fact, I'll even go as far as to say that I guarantee Redden's salary -- or most of it -- will be eradicated from the salary cap.

Now I'm not saying that he will do it to sign Kovalchuk.

All I'm saying is that we all get depressed, nervous and defeatist when it comes to our cap situation, then Sather comes out of left field and delivers.

It would be nice for a change to have an offseason where the focus wasnt solely on cap space and instead the actual formation of a correct lineup. Sather's focus is always dealing with the past in trying to mend his mistakes instead of the future in forming the correct club with the free reign to fill the roster holes correctly.

I'm sure hell find a way to rid the team of a contract or two, but again - if he had done his job correctly he wouldnt have to waste his time and effort in figuring out how to do so. This team is always behind the 8-ball.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:27 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Redden's $6.5 million cap hit is more than the 10% summer bump. Insanity.

Rangers need lock up Staal or they become vulnerable to an offer sheet. They could find themselves in a Kessel situation where Boston would have needed to clear money/players just to match a potential offer sheet so they traded him to Toronto.

Old
05-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:

yeah,but to be fair,whos the guy who put us in that situation in the first place?

Sather

he wouldnt have to work miracles clearing up cap room if he wasnt giving out Drury and Redden type contracts.especially to those who dont deserve them.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
It would be nice for a change to have an offseason where the focus wasnt solely on cap space and instead the actual formation of a correct lineup. Sather's focus is always dealing with the past in trying to mend his mistakes instead of the future in forming the correct club with the free reign to fill the roster holes correctly.

I'm sure hell find a way to rid the team of a contract or two, but again - if he had done his job correctly he wouldnt have to waste his time and effort in figuring out how to do so. This team is always behind the 8-ball.
I think this is a big part of it. Sather's trades almost always involve fixing his screw-ups, rather than trying to improve the team. Yet every summer he does the same thing. He clears salary and wastes it on Kotalik's, Brashear's, Redden's, etc. If he spent it wisely he wouldn't have to pull off trades like with Gomez and Kotalik. He could trade for some actual talent instead of shipping off his blunders.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:56 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

If you look at CBA,MZA's entry level two way contract would not be part of the summer cap. It mentions one way SPC's and only mentions two way SPC's when the player played in the NHL the previous season. If the Rangers sign player A in free agency to a 1 way contract,it's part of the summer cap.

Cap Geek-193 day season-09-10

Weise-8 days-$29,167
Johnson-60 days-$265,265.Johnson also has a performance bonus of $210,000 for 10-11.$170,000 in 09-10.
Sanguinetti-8 days-$35,625
Grachev-1 day-$4,861

For some reason,Cap Geek dropped the group II's from the daily tracker. Byers was something like $44,000 if the Rangers give a QO for next season.

http://www.capgeek.com/tracker/team.php?Team=22

Old
05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Big time. Good work on those calculations.

They will have to move a big salary at the draft if they want the flexibility to make a roster change. If you're stuck trying to dump money entering camp, it will a disaster of epic proportions. IMO, they're better off just doing nothing entering next season, when at years end, most of the current contracts will expire anyway.
Rozsival or Drury are the only logical options.

The Rangers have paid exactly 65% of the Rozsival contract. $13 million of the $20 million on the contract. $4 million and $3 million in remaining salaries. Limited NTC to 8 teams.

Drury has $13 million remaining. $8 million and then $5 million. NMC.

Old
05-05-2010, 08:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Rozsival or Drury are the only logical options.
If you're getting rid of Rozsival in order to get rid of Redden, that's cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. You're left with only Staal and DZ on defense and you still don't have enough cap space to do the kind of restaffing you'll need to on the blue line, or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not like once Redden's been demoted one time, he disappears. Come next summer, his cap hit returns, and if the Rangers have added yet another huge contract, then what are they going to do? Okay, you lose Rissmiller, Voros and Brashear, but half the current roster is due for another RFA contract.

Old
05-05-2010, 11:35 AM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
If you're getting rid of Rozsival in order to get rid of Redden, that's cutting off your nose to spite your face IMO. You're left with only Staal and DZ on defense and you still don't have enough cap space to do the kind of restaffing you'll need to on the blue line, or anywhere else for that matter.

It's not like once Redden's been demoted one time, he disappears. Come next summer, his cap hit returns, and if the Rangers have added yet another huge contract, then what are they going to do? Okay, you lose Rissmiller, Voros and Brashear, but half the current roster is due for another RFA contract.
I would think that once he gets demoted, he gets released. This has been debated over and over, but I'm not so sure he tries to force the Rangers' hand if he's just going to end up in the AHL year after year.

Old
05-05-2010, 12:31 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
I would think that once he gets demoted, he gets released. This has been debated over and over, but I'm not so sure he tries to force the Rangers' hand if he's just going to end up in the AHL year after year.
All contracts in the NHL are guaranteed.

There is no releasing the Wade. If he's sent down and refuses to report, we can terminate the remainder of his contract and he can become an UFA, but he'll be forfeiting 23M by doing so.

23M. That's not some chump change.

His remaining days in Ottawa were brutal. Just as brutal as he's been here.

This is his last paycheck. Real paycheck. Expecting him to walk away from 23M is just going to leave you dissapointed.

No chance in hell we buy him out either. Almost a decades worth of dead cap space. Not going to happen.

I don't think a team would gamble on Wade @50% of his salary either. He can get sent down, and recalled, and nobody will even look his way. He's not even worth 3 and a quarter per season.

Boom Boom Geoffrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
I would think that once he gets demoted, he gets released.
If that was a viable option, why was it never done with Rissmiller?

Old
05-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

What can we expect from the Canadien dollar down the road? Any brainiacs out there that can look into the future or post some sort of educated guesstimate?

Is it wishful thinking to expect a 60M-Cap by 2012?

Old
05-05-2010, 12:40 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

I have the same reaction where I hear the names Rissmiller.. Redden.. And Brashear..

I think Sather's a closet stoner who plays NHL-10 all day and night. Some of the decisions he's made makes you wonder what's going on in that grey head of his.

Old
05-05-2010, 02:13 PM
DrAStuart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
What can we expect from the Canadien dollar down the road? Any brainiacs out there that can look into the future or post some sort of educated guesstimate?

Is it wishful thinking to expect a 60M-Cap by 2012?
The C$ should stay pretty close to par for the next while. It hit close to par about a week or ten days ago, but the Greek debt crisis caused markets to take some refuge in the $US (which drove the $C down comparatively).
Given Canada's relatively favourable debt:GDP ratio relative to the US, and the fact that Cdn manufacturers are responding well to the challenge of the higher dollar, there is little incentive for the Canadian gov't to intervene to lower the C$ in order to make Cdn exports more attractive to foreign buyers. Most estimates I've seen put the $C at about 0.95 to 0.98US for the next while...

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:09 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
All contracts in the NHL are guaranteed.

There is no releasing the Wade. If he's sent down and refuses to report, we can terminate the remainder of his contract and he can become an UFA, but he'll be forfeiting 23M by doing so.

23M. That's not some chump change.

His remaining days in Ottawa were brutal. Just as brutal as he's been here.

This is his last paycheck. Real paycheck. Expecting him to walk away from 23M is just going to leave you dissapointed.

No chance in hell we buy him out either. Almost a decades worth of dead cap space. Not going to happen.

I don't think a team would gamble on Wade @50% of his salary either. He can get sent down, and recalled, and nobody will even look his way. He's not even worth 3 and a quarter per season.
I should have clarified. I meant that him and the Rangers work something out where they "release" him from his contract. I don't know the real viability of it, but I don't know how badly Wade is going to want to spend the next 4 seasons in Hartford. I just don't see that happening. Somehow, somewhere, he'll be moved.

Also, regarding Rissmiller, I have to think that if he had another, better paying option (such as in Europe), he would have taken it. But I can't see many other teams paying him $1m.

Old
05-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion
Confirmed with Link:

Quote:
I should have clarified. I meant that him and the Rangers work something out where they "release" him from his contract. I don't know the real viability of it, but I don't know how badly Wade is going to want to spend the next 4 seasons in Hartford. I just don't see that happening. Somehow, somewhere, he'll be moved.
Get paid 6.5M per year to play in Hartford.. Or go the Sykora route, and get 1.5~2.5M from another team, possibly in Europe.

I think Wade swallows his pride, and takes the money.

Old
05-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

Also, regarding Rissmiller, I have to think that if he had another, better paying option (such as in Europe), he would have taken it. But I can't see many other teams paying him $1m.
he made the All Star team in the AHL. Rissmiller got screwed because of the cap. If he took 500K or so like Boyle he would be on a roster as a depth player

but yea its very very did i say very stupid that Voros and Riss are getting paid still. Sather is an idiot. We all knew there was no pt. they could of just played yong Hartford guys.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote