Old
05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
vofty

vCash: 500
Bennie Boy

Nice little article about Benn.
http://www.statesman.com/sports/pro/...-a-666111.html
Quote:
Edmonton International, Nashville International, Detroit Metro and O'Hare. At every gate the Dallas Stars taxied into this season, the same swoopy-haired kid was out there slogging their bags off the plane.

One by one, he'd slide off suitcases tagged with names like Modano and Turco. He'd shuttle off sacks stuffed with sticks and pucks, sometimes refusing to leave his post until every piece of luggage had been culled.

It wasn't a rookie being hazed into luggage duty. Jamie Benn didn't have to do it. But never once did he stick his hand out for a tip.

"That's just who he is," Dallas general manager Joe Nieuwendyk said. "You sit back and observe him and you figure out he's a throwback, the kind of player who does things you might not typically expect."

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Benn > Ott.

That's all.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Benn > Ott.

That's all.
Damn straight.

05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Alistar

That's awesome. I love that we have many years to look forward to watching Jamie Benn lead the team to the playoffs

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
It kinda is hazing, IIRC. They made Daley do it when he was a rookie (I only remember this because it was when BaD Radio was on the trip and they forgot Daley, who had to get to the hotel on the media bus). I would assume other rookies have the same or similar duties each year.

Kritter471 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 02:58 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
It kinda is hazing, IIRC. They made Daley do it when he was a rookie (I only remember this because it was when BaD Radio was on the trip and they forgot Daley, who had to get to the hotel on the media bus). I would assume other rookies have the same or similar duties each year.
Yeah, but you can tell they all love the kid. Modano practically gushed during preseason.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Kritter471

They love the young kids every year. They gushed over Neal and Niskanen before him and Eriksson before him and Daley before him. It's what you do with talent kids.

I mean, nothing against Benn obviously. But "team loves new impact rookie" is a story you can and do write almost every season. Heck, the story is fine and is what it is other than an incorrect assessment of the bags thing, which I assure you is not something he does just out of the goodness of his heart.

Old
05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Chad_

You don't typically haze those you don't like or don't care about. Sean Avery's ordeal in junior hockey might be the one exception to that rule I have read, witnessed or partaken in. And carrying a couple of veterans' bags is nothing, and far less than having to pay for multiple dinners for the entire team in my estimation, especially on an entry-level salary.

Baseball centers around turning rookies into women (pink bags, stealing clothes and replacing them with dresses and blouses, forced makeup, etc.). Rookies still have to buy meals and carry bags, but it's the addition of the attempt to feminize the rookies that, for whatever reason, gets the baseball players jollies off most. Maybe it's just me, but I'd carry the entire team's gear if it gets me out of trying to hobble out of the clubhouse and onto the team plane in high heels.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Kritter471

I assume they still do the rookie dinner as well. That's a time-honored hockey tradition, to make one or more kids pay for a $10,000 or more meal.