Notices

Klee's signing by Toronto ups pressure on Berard to sign with Bruins

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 10:11 PM
misterjaggers

vCash: 500
Klee's signing by Toronto ups pressure on Berard to sign with Bruins

Toronto, desperate for defensive help after Svehla quit, was the obvious destination for Berard. That door just closed with Klee's signing.

When the NHL team owners' strategy in the face of the looming CBA crisis is a high-salary hiring freeze, what team is going to pay Berard over $2 million a year?

Berard has made a heroic comeback from an injury that could have ended his career. O'Connell has argued that the interruption caused by the injury has slowed the development of the former first round pick. I would add that sitting out this year over a contract dispute followed by probably another year of lockout could seriously jeopardize his comeback...and therefore signing (for at least a year) and getting himself into training camp is in Berard's long-term self-interest...

What are your thoughts?

Old
09-28-2003, 03:22 AM
Jeff from Maine

Dont Really Agree

Firstly, Toronto had serious issues with the way Berard left to go to NYR. Many in that organization made it clear that they felt he shafted Toronto by leaving. They helped him out tremendously during his stint off the ice. Andf he repays them by leaving over a couple hundred thousand bucks? They may be willing to forgive and forget...but that wound is deep!

2ndly, Berard and Klee are not at all similar players. Klee is a defense first guy who clears his own end up as his priority. And that just so happens to be exactly what Toronto needed! Sure, everyon ecould use a mobile defenseman who can rack up points. But the Leafs didnt have that as a priority type need. Kaberle, McCabe, Colavaccio (sp.) are all solid offense producing d-men. They needed a strong stay at home type to do that dirty work.

Boston needs both, IMHO. Jillson is our best offensive d-man, but to ask him to produce at a high level as an NHL rook is unfair. If he takes a roster space, he needs to produce. But expectations are too high for him. McGillis cant be counted upon for anyting. He has a good year and then follows it up with garbage....thats his history. Hopefully it will change this year as a Bruin.

Boston could have used BOTH Klee and Berard.

We lost one...will we lose the other as well?

Later

Old
09-28-2003, 03:42 AM
Still a Bruin fan

It goes to show how tight the wallets are being held when Ken Klee can't get a job until now.
Although he was leaving Washington for sure and was seeking around 2 million, you'd think there would be a team out there willing to make a stronger push than we saw with only a handful of teams (Atlanta, Rags...) showing a little interest.

Toronto was heading into the season with questionable, at best, depth on the back side of their Defense corps.
Now Klee can push aside Jamie Pushor.
Ric Jackman might actually make this team.
I'm not an Aki Berg believer, and he has a spot sewed up.
The Leafs HAD to add another player back there.

Old
09-28-2003, 03:52 AM
Jeff from Maine

Still A Bruins Fan

Still,

This isnt meant tobe sarcastic or confrontational...so please dont take it that way.

But have you watched many Leafs games from last year? I only ask because your comment about Jackman seemed sarcastic.

I watched a number of Leaf games, and have spoken with many die hard Leafs fans regarding Jackman...as I am sure many B`s fans have done.

Ric was TREMENDOUS for a decent stretch last year. At times he was their most physical presence and best d-man, from a positioning standpoint.

They had a few guys who were solid intheir won end last year...McCabe, Shvela, Wesley and Jackman. And Ric more than held his own.

He wont maqtch up to what the hype about him was when he first turned pro.

But he should end up being a very decent NHLer.

Later

Old
09-28-2003, 04:05 AM
scotiahockey
HFB Partner

Send a message via AIM to scotiahockey Send a message via MSN to scotiahockey Send a message via Yahoo to scotiahockey Send a message via Skype™ to scotiahockey
i disagree with this ups the pressure for us to sign berard, boynton yes, but not berard. i think that OC, and me to a degree as well, and maybe many of you, see berard as a known commodity. we saw him play like a norris candidate for 3 months last year, and then like an AHL 4th defenseman(maybe not that badly, but you get the point) for the next 3 months. I like berard personally, and i think it would be a great story to see him continue on with some level of success in his career. I also like the 4 young kids that should be the future of the bruins blueline, and i think it is high time 1 or 2 of them get a shot. money is on jillson staying in the bigs, but from wht ive read, jurcina has impressed and morrisson is really on 15-20 lbs away?

having boynton, mcgillis, odonnell, gill, jillson, moran as top 6 and jurcina/morrisson/brennan/moran if someone emerges and takes the 6th spot away from him, as our 7th, will bode well for us both now and in the future.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:09 AM
Still a Bruin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff from Maine
Still,

This isnt meant tobe sarcastic or confrontational...so please dont take it that way.

But have you watched many Leafs games from last year? I only ask because your comment about Jackman seemed sarcastic.

I watched a number of Leaf games, and have spoken with many die hard Leafs fans regarding Jackman...as I am sure many B`s fans have done.

Ric was TREMENDOUS for a decent stretch last year. At times he was their most physical presence and best d-man, from a positioning standpoint.

They had a few guys who were solid intheir won end last year...McCabe, Shvela, Wesley and Jackman. And Ric more than held his own.

He wont maqtch up to what the hype about him was when he first turned pro.

But he should end up being a very decent NHLer.

Later
I watched parts of many games as well as parts of all other teams' games.
Granted, I don't normally focus on individuals but only on the general play of the team, notably team defense.
I saw an awful lot of poor play by the team as a whole with a lot of giveaways and them getting beat down low often as well;
not so much the trouble with odd man breaks, but mostly scrambly play in their own end.
I'm surprised by you saying Jackman was often the most physical presence. I'll pay more attention in the future;
I just think that speaks more about the rest of the group.
Now they have Marchment for the year and McCabe is working back to full health, they hope.
If Jackman plays well, that would be big for them because, in my opinion, they ar easily in the bottom tier for blue lines if a McCabe or Kaberle sustains an injury.
I DO wonder about their depth in terms of quality.
Klee helps that some.

Old
09-28-2003, 04:34 AM
Jeff from Maine

Still....About Your Last Comment

"Easily in the bottom teir if McCabe or Kaberle sustains an injury..."

That could be said about virtually EVERY team, right? Other than maybe Colorado, ANY team that loses a guy like those 2 will be substantially affected!

What it we lost Boynton or McGillis from injury?

We may be the WORST defense in the league if that happens!

Personally, I LIKE what Toronto has done with the defense. They needed grit and positionally strong additions, and in Marchment and Klee, that is EXACTLY what they added!

McCabe- Klee
Kaberle- Cola
Marchment- Berg/Jackman

I am missing someone here as well. But they are looking pretty good, balanced and solid in their own end!

Later

Old
09-28-2003, 05:08 AM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still a Bruin fan
It goes to show how tight the wallets are being held when Ken Klee can't get a job until now.
Although he was leaving Washington for sure and was seeking around 2 million, you'd think there would be a team out there willing to make a stronger push than we saw with only a handful of teams (Atlanta, Rags...) showing a little interest.

Do remember about Klee is that he is one of the more outspoken players association reps out there. I dont think that helped his chances.

As far as Berard, sure he would be nice to have back I guess, but I think the way Jillson has played the Bruins worry less about him every day.

I am fine if we go into camp with McGillis, Jillson, Gill, OD, Boynton and Jurcina if he makes it or Moran or Brennan.

The hard part is whether to let Jurcina stay or not. I dont know what direction this team is heading. If they dont go out and get Burke then I say chalk it up to an experience year and see what the kids can do. Let Hannu and Andrew split time and cut our losses with The Cat.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:27 AM
misterjaggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotiahockey
i disagree with this ups the pressure for us to sign berard, boynton yes, but not berard. i think that OC, and me to a degree as well, and maybe many of you, see berard as a known commodity. we saw him play like a norris candidate for 3 months last year, and then like an AHL 4th defenseman(maybe not that badly, but you get the point) for the next 3 months...
I was referring to pressure on Berard and his agent to sign with the Bruins, not the other way around...

I agree: there was a long stretch where his defensive play deteriorated, but he's still a young player (25 or 26?) who's a great skater.

With Girard in a wheelchair and Berard holding out, the Bs defense loses alot of mobility.

I also think the coaching change will help Berard get into a groove and stay in it.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:17 PM
misterjaggers

Berard in a bind

New York News Day article:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/3392.htm

Closed Thread