HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Sergei Bobrovsky

Old
05-06-2010, 08:33 AM
IrishSniper87

vCash: 500
Maybe we could just make Bobrovsky our starter and get him started now if he has a good camp. Might as well get the kid started now if he is as good as Varlamov. He could actually be a longterm solution at the goalie position.

Wow, I never thought the Flyers would do that.

Keep Boucher and Bobrovsky for next year? Make them split time?

If Bobrovsky looks like he needs a year in the AHL, we could always roll Leighton - Boucher and make me rip all the hair out of my head all year.

Bonus, if we suck next year, we DO HAVE our 1st Round pick as of right now for 2011.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:37 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

I guess we had to beat out another offer(s)? I wouldn't have expected the contract to be that much.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:43 AM
i am dave

1.75 per year for someone coming from overseas is quite risky.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:46 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Not if he is comparable to Varlamov talent-wise. The Flyers might think he is very capable of being a long-term solution in net or at least willing to entertain the idea.

Old
05-06-2010, 08:47 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Yeah, I'd sooner expect this to be the type of situation where you give the guy something like 1 year/800k...then maybe give him a contract more like the one they just gave him if he does well. I guess they really wanted him and had to beat out another offer or offers.

And it sounds like he's expected to start with the Phantoms? 1.75 per year is also a hell of a lot to be paying a goalie to play in the AHL.

Old
05-06-2010, 08:49 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
it'll only affect the cap if he sees nhl time, in which case he has already shown in the ahl that he is a capable netminder.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:00 AM
i am dave

All valid points. I guess it's more perception than anything.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:06 AM
PhillyCurt12

you are right though, that's a ton of money for an ahl'er. i'm guessing some of that 1.75 is bonuses for games at the nhl level.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:08 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
you are right though, that's a ton of money for an ahl'er. i'm guessing some of that 1.75 is bonuses for games at the nhl level.
He's arguably now our best prospect, who we didn't draft, who could become a star in Russia and ignore the NHL completely, and probably had a number of people knocking on his door.

$1.75 isn't that bad.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
He's arguably now our best prospect, who we didn't draft, who could become a star in Russia and ignore the NHL completely, and probably had a number of people knocking on his door.

$1.75 isn't that bad.
No it's not, especially if they dump some much-needed salary in the off-season. I guess I'm comparing it to the fact that they gave Emery 1.5 for one year as a "risk signing." I hope this kid is awesome.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:14 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
No it's not, especially if they dump some much-needed salary in the off-season. I guess I'm comparing it to the fact that they gave Emery 1.5 for one year as a "risk signing." I hope this kid is awesome.
Emery was not a Russian. He didn't fit well in Russia. He was desperate for the NHL.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:24 AM
PhillyCurt12

Quote:
$1.75 isn't that bad.
I didn't say it was bad, merely that it was a ton of money for an ahl'er. He would be one of the highest paid players in the A at that price, and he would likely deserve every penny.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:39 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:

$1.75 isn't that bad.
This. He is easily our best prospect right now, at least until the upcoming draft. JVR, Giroux, Parent are all not prospects anymore, they are all Vet's at this point, or at least and NHL'er for sure in JVR.

He is a Russian STAR goalie at 21 in the KHL on a team who gives up a lot of shots. No telling how he does here, but he is likely to be at least an average starter with a high ceiling.

Quote:
Emery was not a Russian. He didn't fit well in Russia. He was desperate for the NHL.
Emery's biggest problem in Russia was that he was

A - Not Russian.
B - Limited in how many games he was ALLOWED to even play in, because of A.

Quote:
I didn't say it was bad, merely that it was a ton of money for an ahl'er. He would be one of the highest paid players in the A at that price, and he would likely deserve every penny.
He is not really an AHL'er though. From the looks of it, he might even be our backup next year if he has a strong camp.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Larry44

Quote:
ALL ELCs are two-way contracts. That happened after the lockout.

He will make $67,500 if he plays in the AHL. If he plays in the NHL he'll make the rookie max of $900,000, like Testwuide and Gustafsson.

You pretty well have to offer rookie max to get any of the top UFAs to sign, the bonuses will be well worth it if he collects on them in two years' time.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?pid=98874&pos=G

It's really not hard to look these things up....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
He is not really an AHL'er though. From the looks of it, he might even be our backup next year if he has a strong camp.
Emery on a strong KHL team:
2008-09: 36 GP - 22 W - 2.12 GAA - 0.926 SV%

Esche on an even stronger KHL team:
2008-09: 38 GP - 21 W - 1.87 GAA - 0.912 SV%
2009-10: 42 GP - 29 W - 2.07 GAA - 0.917 SV%

Bobrovsky on a god awful KHL team (easily the worst):
2008-09: 32 GP - 7 W - 2.49 GAA - 0.927 SV%
2009-10: 35 GP - 9 W - 2.72 GAA - 0.919 SV%

To put things in a little bit of perspective: This year MetalNovo finished in last place in the KHL behind Vityaz Chekhov, who finished with 2 more points. Vityaz finished 24th (last) in GA with 216 total (3.86 GA/G). MetalNovo 11th with only 159 total (2.84 GA/G). They did however finish 24th in goals forced with a horrific 105 (1.88 GF/G).

If he adjusts well, he could be a starter here by next season.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:23 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
ALL ELCs are two-way contracts. That happened after the lockout.

He will make $67,500 if he plays in the AHL. If he plays in the NHL he'll make the rookie max of $900,000, like Testwuide and Gustafsson.

You pretty well have to offer rookie max to get any of the top UFAs to sign, the bonuses will be well worth it if he collects on them in two years' time.

http://capgeek.com/players/display.php?pid=98874&pos=G

It's really not hard to look these things up....
Well, la dee da, look at you. I've only made use of nhlscap in the past...not familiar with capgeek, but I'll be making use of it now. I should have at least done some investigation when a link to it was posted in the OP, and for not doing that I'll now slap myself in the face.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
It's fun having our own mysterious Euro prospect, we'll be talking ourselves into a Vezina trophy for him by August.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:28 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It's fun having our own mysterious Euro prospect, we'll be talking ourselves into a Vezina trophy for him by August.
While at the same time talking ourselves into a buyout for half of our roster, JVR included of course because god knows he's a waste of 1.65m at this point, until people eventually get over the loss and are bored with hating the world.

Then the cycle of life begins once again.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:29 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
While at the same time talking ourselves into a buyout for half of our roster, JVR included of course because god knows he's a waste of 1.65m at this point, until people eventually get over the loss and are bored with hating the world.

Buyout? Yikes.

Nah, just trade Hartnell.

and Carle.
and Briere.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:35 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
It'll be interesting to see what he does. Generally speaking, I wouldn't be a fan of entrusting the team to him next year, just because these guys tend to come over with serious holes in their game that get exposed in the NHL (for example, Varly's glove). Hopefully we go and get someone like Turco for a couple years, Boucher backs him up next year...then Bob (I will never refer to him as anything else, and hope that is all they put on his jersey) comes up the following year as a backup and maybe competes for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Buyout? Yikes.

Nah, just trade Hartnell.

and Carle.
and Briere.
No one is trading for Briere in this stage of his contract... at least no one with half a brain. Hartnell is easily moved (either waive or trade), and I imagine Carle will draw some interest after this season if we put him on the block.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
It'll be interesting to see what he does. Generally speaking, I wouldn't be a fan of entrusting the team to him next year, just because these guys tend to come over with serious holes in their game that get exposed in the NHL (for example, Varly's glove). Hopefully we go and get someone like Turco for a couple years, Boucher backs him up next year...then Bob (I will never refer to him as anything else, and hope that is all they put on his jersey) comes up the following year as a backup and maybe competes for the job.

No one is trading for Briere in this stage of his contract... at least no one with half a brain. Hartnell is easily moved (either waive or trade), and I imagine Carle will draw some interest after this season if we put him on the block.
You suck. I like Brosky more

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Bobrovsky's weakness isn't his glove, it's his rebound control. He is a first save machine and has a really good glove hand. He needs to control his rebounds. Jeff Reese helped with Boucher's and Leighton's rebound control to an extent. Let's give him a shot with Bob.

Old
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Bobrovsky's weakness isn't his glove, it's his rebound control. He is a first save machine and has a really good glove hand. He needs to control his rebounds. Jeff Reese helped with Boucher's and Leighton's rebound control to an extent. Let's give him a shot with Bob.
...lets let him play in the NHL before we decide what his strengths and weaknesses are at this level.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:57 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Heh, believe me, the "trade JVR" bandwagon was very strong around here about a year ago.

Quote:
Yep, I'm all for Turco and then letting Boosh/Leighton back him up while Big Save Bob gets some work in the AHL.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

This Sergei Bobrovsky character is already really starting to grow on me...just because of all the nickname potential.