HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

About Ken Klee

Closed Thread

Old
09-27-2003, 08:11 PM
Steve

vCash: 500
About Ken Klee

I read that people are wondering the term of Ken Klee's contract. I saw Rick Vaive talking to him on Leafs TV (Klee was on the phone) and he asked if he had be loured by a big raise from last year since it's only a 1 year deal, Klee laughed and said, he's around the same numbers as last year (last year he made $1.55 million) so I assume he's around $1.75-2 tops for this year.

As of today there were no options included in the deal although he's hoping for some, he wants to get his family settled in Toronto (he used to play here for the St. Mikes) and he's happy to come back to Toronto.

He did say that the team bonus' did appeal to him though.

If someone has already posted this stuff, sorry to waste your time.

Steve

Old
09-27-2003, 08:16 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
No. Thanks for letting us know. I know sportsnet reported he rejected a multi-year deal from atlanta. So I suppose it wasn't all about the money. The team bonus he probably was talking about is probably the playoff bonus' the Leafs give out.

With the probability of the lockout, the chances of Klee staying in Toronto for at least two years is pretty good. I suppose that figured into his reasoning for his family.

Old
09-27-2003, 08:17 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 4850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
I read that people are wondering the term of Ken Klee's contract. I saw Rick Vaive talking to him on Leafs TV (Klee was on the phone) and he asked if he had be loured by a big raise from last year since it's only a 1 year deal, Klee laughed and said, he's around the same numbers as last year (last year he made $1.55 million) so I assume he's around $1.75-2 tops for this year.

As of today there were no options included in the deal although he's hoping for some, he wants to get his family settled in Toronto (he used to play here for the St. Mikes) and he's happy to come back to Toronto.

He did say that the team bonus' did appeal to him though.

If someone has already posted this stuff, sorry to waste your time.

Steve
Whats the team bonus?

Old
09-28-2003, 01:13 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover
Whats the team bonus?
The leafs have several team bonuses I'm not sure what they are though. I know that if the Leafs make it to the playoffs they are each given a specific amount of money, they also get money for playoff rounds won and consecutive winning streaks during the regular season, but I believe that the regular season winning streak money begins at around 5-7 consecutive wins. There are probably more incentives such as 100 point seasons, 40 wins etc...

Steve

Old
09-28-2003, 01:16 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i read 1.5 million with up to 300,000 in bonuses

Old
09-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
i read 1.5 million with up to 300,000 in bonuses
It goes up to a grand total of 1.8 million when bonuses are inlcuded.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Millhaus

The Caps offered Klee a 3 year deal at $2 mil a season after last season and he turned it down because he wanted $3.25 mil a season and a 4 year deal. And he signs a 1 year deal for $1.5 - $1.8 mil? What an idiot.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus
The Caps offered Kleve a 3 year deal at $2 mil a season after last season and he turned it down because he wanted $3.25 mil a season and a 4 year deal. And he signs a 1 year deal for $1.5 - $1.8 mil? What an idiot.
Exactly. I love it when these greedy buggers & their agent overplay their hand & they get stuck.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:33 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
on the score they said its a 1 year deal worth 1.5 mill

Old
09-29-2003, 09:35 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
The Caps offered Kleve a 3 year deal at $2 mil a season after last season and he turned it down because he wanted $3.25 mil a season and a 4 year deal. And he signs a 1 year deal for $1.5 - $1.8 mil? What an idiot.
This wasn't about the money. He was holding out on alternative offers including one with Atlanta for more money and multiple years, but he agreed to a one year deal for less money to play in Toronto where he grew up playing hockey. How does that make him an idiot?

Old
09-29-2003, 09:43 AM
Sammy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
This wasn't about the money. He was holding out on alternative offers including one with Atlanta for more money and multiple years, but he agreed to a one year deal for less money to play in Toronto where he grew up playing hockey. How does that make him an idiot?
Whaaaaaaaaaaat? It wasnt about $$$$$???? Yeah ok. Then why didnt he sign with the Caps during the year ?
Cause he wanted waaaaaaaay more than they were prepared to offer.
He's an idiot for turning down the Caps overly generous offer, not because he took the Leaf offer.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:50 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Maybe you didn't read my post properly. HE TURNED DOWN MORE MONEY TO PLAY WITH THE LEAFS. Not to mention job security. He COULD have went elsewhere for more money but wanted to play here (even at a reduced rate), because a) he grew up playing hockey here and wants to enroll his two kids in hockey programs in Toronto, and b) He loves the fact that hockey in Toronto comes second to none as opposed to Washington where it's all about politics and pigskin.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:44 AM
Epoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Maybe you didn't read my post properly. HE TURNED DOWN MORE MONEY TO PLAY WITH THE LEAFS. Not to mention job security. He COULD have went elsewhere for more money but wanted to play here (even at a reduced rate), because a) he grew up playing hockey here and wants to enroll his two kids in hockey programs in Toronto, and b) He loves the fact that hockey in Toronto comes second to none as opposed to Washington where it's all about politics and pigskin.
Dar is right. That is the exact case with Klee.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:19 AM
monkey_00*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR-TWѤ
Dar is right. That is the exact case with Klee.
This is why the Leafs future looks bright....when you consider that 25% of the NHL talent base originates from the Greater Toronto area this means more players will want to come and play for the Leafs for ALOT LESS money than what others would be willing to pay them to play on their team(s) elsewhere....we've seen it with Nieuwendyk and Klee...2-players willing to get payed less just so they can play in their hometown of Toronto...and these 2 won't be the last to do this either.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:27 AM
Rand

Glad to hear it's only 1.5-1.8M, that's pretty reasonable.
Given his very public desire to get 3.0M+ it looks especially nice.

09-29-2003, 11:29 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Wrong. He turned down the Caps 3 year $6 mil offer because he wanted 4 years and $13 mil, which he thought he could get on the open market. After not getting any multiple year offers at all, let alone a 4 year deal, or even $2 mil for a 1 year deal, and missing almost all of preseason, he took the Leafs offer because time was running out before the season started. Sure he may have taken a lesser 1 year deal with the Leafs over a more lucrative 1 year deal with, say Atlanta, but he didn't choose a 1 year $1.5 mil deal with the Leafs over a 3 year $6 mil deal with the Caps. The Caps' deal was no longer available. Yes Toronto is a nice city and hockey is undoubtedly number 1 there, but if he could go back and do it over again, I guarantee he would have taken the Caps original offer. The Caps took their offer off the table soon after Klee turned it down and after the market had spoken and very few players were getting multiple year deals, so Klee was SOL.

I figure with Klee's age, his coming off a career year which he will not have again this season, and the looming long CBA related layoff, Klee cost himself somewhere around $4 mil. Talk about overplaying your hand... Maybe you don't see that as idiotic, but it clearly is.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:14 PM
Sammy*

Quote:
Wrong. He turned down the Caps 3 year $6 mil offer because he wanted 4 years and $13 mil, which he thought he could get on the open market. After not getting any multiple year offers at all, let alone a 4 year deal, or even $2 mil for a 1 year deal, and missing almost all of preseason, he took the Leafs offer because time was running out before the season started. Sure he may have taken a lesser 1 year deal with the Leafs over a more lucrative 1 year deal with, say Atlanta, but he didn't choose a 1 year $1.5 mil deal with the Leafs over a 3 year $6 mil deal with the Caps. The Caps' deal was no longer available. Yes Toronto is a nice city and hockey is undoubtedly number 1 there, but if he could go back and do it over again, I guarantee he would have taken the Caps original offer. The Caps took their offer off the table soon after Klee turned it down and after the market had spoken and very few players were getting multiple year deals, so Klee was SOL.

I figure with Klee's age, his coming off a career year which he will not have again this season, and the looming long CBA related layoff, Klee cost himself somewhere around $4 mil. Talk about overplaying your hand... Maybe you don't see that as idiotic, but it clearly is.
Only in Leafland would they not acknowledge that this is what happened.
Yeah sure, he took a 1 year contract at a base of 1.5 over all those other more lucrative, multi year deals.

Face it fans, the greedy bugger screwed up & the Leafs were the beneficiary of his stupidity.

Old
09-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Ohio Jones
The other Dexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
Only in Leafland would they not acknowledge that this is what happened.
Yeah sure, he took a 1 year contract at a base of 1.5 over all those other more lucrative, multi year deals.

Face it fans, the greedy bugger screwed up & the Leafs were the beneficiary of his stupidity.
The point you guys seem to be missing is, yes, of course it would have been advantageous for Klee to sign the contract the Caps offered, just as Fedorov would rather be playing for more money in Detroit right now, but the fact is that most agents - remember that the players don't generally make these decisions except on the advice of their agents - most agents missed the boat in terms of recognizing that teams were going to be tightening belts across the league, and that the FA market - especially the big-money FA market - was going to dry up this summer. Not the players' fault, and not a matter of being "greedy". Just life.

Faced with that situation, Klee did what any self-respecting hockey player who wants to win would do - he signed with the Leafs! He turned down more money and more years (not the Washington offer, but Atlanta and at least one other one) to come to T.O. because, like many players who've been around a few eyars, he recognized that after a while you don't just want to play for a paycheck, you want to play where the game means something, and where you've got a shot - a real shot - at winning it all, and doing it in a city where hockey means something - heck, where it means EVERYTHING. Why wouldn't he want to come here?

Old
09-29-2003, 01:01 PM
RiellyGood

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
This is why the Leafs future looks bright....when you consider that 25% of the NHL talent base originates from the Greater Toronto area this means more players will want to come and play for the Leafs for ALOT LESS money than what others would be willing to pay them to play on their team(s) elsewhere....we've seen it with Nieuwendyk and Klee...2-players willing to get payed less just so they can play in their hometown of Toronto...and these 2 won't be the last to do this either.
yeah, but its not like we are the only city people do this. Paul-Teemu package signed for less to play in Col, Cujo signed for less to play in Det (didnt he?).....just because players were born in the Toronto area doesnt mean they will all run and sign with Toronto. Its nice that Nieuwy and Klee and Marchment wanted to come here but despite what you may have heard, we are not the center of the universe and unfortunately these players who want to play in T.O are usually players past their prime who want to come here to finish their careers (even Gretz did) as a leaf, one last kick at the can. Which is nice and all, but I'd liked to have seen Nieuwy here 6 years ago, know what i mean?

Old
09-29-2003, 02:26 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

[QUOTE=CaberFan]

despite what you may have heard, we are not the center of the universe

yes we are !

Old
09-29-2003, 02:27 PM
loveshack2

Interesting thought that was talked about by Bill Watters and Ken Klee on MOJO today.

When Klee was deciding what offer to take, one of the big factors in his decision was *exposure*. Apparently other teams offered him more years and more money than Toronto, but the fact that the Toronto media is so rabid, and that they play on National TV every Saturday night factored heavily into his decision. He figures that having 1 good season in Toronto is as good for his future marketability as several good seasons in alot of other cities. Of course it's a double edged sword as a bad season in TO can kill you.

Just thought it was an interesting take on things and I hadnt seen it mentioned yet.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:30 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveshack2
Interesting thought that was talked about by Bill Watters and Ken Klee on MOJO today.

When Klee was deciding what offer to take, one of the big factors in his decision was *exposure*. Apparently other teams offered him more years and more money than Toronto, but the fact that the Toronto media is so rabid, and that they play on National TV every Saturday night factored heavily into his decision. He figures that having 1 good season in Toronto is as good for his future marketability as several good seasons in alot of other cities. Of course it's a double edged sword as a bad season in TO can kill you.

Just thought it was an interesting take on things and I hadnt seen it mentioned yet.

klee mentioned he talked with fergy that they could possibly work out a long term deal after this season

Closed Thread