Notices

Expectations are too high; need to rebuild

Old
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

vCash: 500
Expectations are too high; need to rebuild

Does anyone else feel the same way? I feel like Fletcher doesn't want to break our "sellout" streak and wants to make the playoffs, but in reality that's not what's best for us right now. Simply put, we need a good rebuild.

In the long term, I would rather suffer another two years of sucking to be competitive for several years after. Instead, I fear we are going right back where Risebrough put us. Trading away our "precious commodities" as GMFC put it after he drafted Leddy. Look who he's already given up: Leddy, Fallstrom, 2nd round (2011).

Gained a late 2nd round I suppose, but still is a worse pick than what our 2011 second would have been. Latendresse could work out well too, although he only had 2-3 pts (let alone goals) in his last 7-8 games this year. Picked up Barker who seems to be the next Benoit Pouliot case here, maybe he comes back motivated. Hopefully Wellman turns out. Maybe PMB comes back, maybe not ever.

Am I over reacting? I just want some opinions on this whole thing, because when I watch the playoffs, I feel nothing but shame and anger. I'm willing to suffer through that for another two years in order to take a serious run at the cup instead of playing to "make the playoffs" every year instead of playing "to win the stanley cup."

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:26 PM
mnwildgophers

Stinking for two years doesn't guarantee success. This is true in any sport, it's that drafting is key to your success. While the Wild may have easier selections being higher, it's still possible to find guys that not only work for your system, but that develop well. Hopefully we can figure this out. Right now, what do you suppose we do? Trade away Burns, Koivu, Havlat, Latendresse, Backstrom? We can't possibly do that as we need to at least try to win.

I'm not sure a re-build actually fixes the problems, we have to let the bad contracts run out, which could happen over the course of a couple of years, but it's not as bleak as it might seem. Yes, we can't compete with those guys in the playoffs right now, but 2 years of good drafting and development, we could see us right back there. I even think we can make the playoffs next year, you never know what happens. It's tough to be optimistic, but at least you see an attempt to improve the team by GMCF. We'll have to wait and see what CF does at the draft.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:28 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Am I overreacting? I just want some opinions on this whole thing, because when I watch the playoffs, I feel nothing but shame and anger. I'm willing to suffer through that for another two years in order to take a serious run at the cup instead of playing to "make the playoffs" every year instead of playing "to win the stanley cup."
Not in my opinion, because I feel going backwards is the only way we will become legitimate Cup contenders. Right now my best case scenario for 2011 is for the Wild to draft a star in their own building. Having years like 2009 and 2010 are the worst case scenario for a franchise.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Having years like 2009 and 2010 are the worst case scenario for a franchise.
I agree - going nowhere fast comes to mind.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:35 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sucking for years hasn't helped Florida, St Louis, Columbus, Atlanta...

I say stay the course. This year, see who fits and who doesn't. Trade all the players who don't fit the system at the deadline. Break a few hearts; no more of these wink and a handshake no-trade deals like we did with Nolan. If we're clearly out of it, move Bruno at the deadline. Say goodbye to overpaid grinders like Miettinen and Kobasew.

Most importantly, get some cap space so we can upgrade next summer. Get some young players in to compete for jobs. Keep in mind we signed three quality college free agents which is the equivalent of adding promising draft picks.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
mnwildgophers

We can't just suck and expect to get better dramatically, and yes I agree we can't have another basically throw away year like we had this year. Same with 08-09, just never felt like a good year. While I think we have a small core of players, we must draft well this year and continue to dip into the college FA pool, also maybe across seas too?

Old
05-06-2010, 01:04 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Am I over reacting? I just want some opinions on this whole thing, because when I watch the playoffs, I feel nothing but shame and anger. I'm willing to suffer through that for another two years in order to take a serious run at the cup instead of playing to "make the playoffs" every year instead of playing "to win the stanley cup."
A little, but I understand where you are coming from. I don't believe that a complete rebuild is in order but how the drafts turn out will be key to Minnesota's long-term success. There is enough talent on the roster where the addition of a couple good prospects (#9 this year and next year's first rounder) will make a huge difference. Remember, the Wild drew a complete blank with having three top-twelve picks; with those players performing at their best, this team would be a lot different.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:45 PM
se7en
infamous...

I totally feel what you're saying...

I don't want to be debbie downer but I've just started coming to terms with the fact that most likely it will be 25+ years before we see a cup in Minnesota... Sure anything can happen but If you look at things realisticly, It's not easy at all to win a cup. As much as skill is involved it's quite a bit of luck as well and I just don't see it happening anytime soon so I don't even have my hopes up for anything involving Minnesota teams.. I've been disapointed too many times...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE & will forever support the Wild & I want them to be a good team so bad that it hurts but I drive myself nuts hoping & wishing...

I've started to just enjoy the game as a whole, I like alot of teams for different reasons and I enjoy watching players develope. I also just enjoy watching great hockey! One day it will be the Wilds turn but who knows when so I've tried to be more relaxed about it lately...

We deserve a cup & a solid team but look at the north stars, kings, canucks, blues, sabres, etc, etc. So many teams wait 40+ years & counting.. What makes us think we'll be any different

Ok end of downer rant... Go Wild!

Edit - I'm just having a bad day so take this post with a grain of salt...

Last edited by se7en: 05-06-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: bad mood
se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well we're already at 43 without a Cup (18 for championships and 70 combined seasons for reaching a final), what's another 25 years?

Old
05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Well we're already at 43 without a Cup (18 for championships and 70 combined seasons for reaching a final), what's another 25 years?
More than a quarter of my life. Sure seems like the state of hockey should be able to bring it home a little more frequently than that.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:39 PM
mnwildgophers

Well considering there are 16 teams to make the playoffs, all you have to go is 16-12 in the playoffs and you'll win the cup.

Old
05-06-2010, 02:40 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Well one would think the State of Hockey would have won at least one Stanley Cup and not have a NHL team move away too, but apparently that's not the case.

Old
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
mnwildgophers

I think most of us know that we can't really jumpstart this process as guys won't just let young guys get to FA anymore, and having cheap, young talent is paramount to success. We can't score enough goals it seems like, most of our guys seem to be "playmakers" rather than "snipers" to use NHL 10 terms.

Old
05-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

We've seen what hard work, a smart coach, and a hot goalie can do for you in the playoffs (us in 2003, Habs today). That's really it, get better defensively, add some talent up front, and we'll have a chance.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 03:03 PM
mnwildgophers

We gave up far too many SH goals last year, and a lot of odd-man rushes early in the year, we must correct this. I'm in favor of always trying to make the playoffs. I think if we get a decent 2nd line center, that will vastly improve us, and bounce-back years from Havlat, Burns, and Backstrom.