HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for Brent Burns

Old
05-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Sabreality

vCash: 500
Trade for Brent Burns

with not too many affordable D-man upgrades available as UFA's, i propose going after Burns, a guy that 'might' be available. Minnesota already has $46m committed next season and are in the midst of a quick rebuild.

it would be a risk due to his injury history, and he's a tad overpaid at this point (2yrs $3.55cap hit/yr remain), but theres no denying his ability, especially as a PP QB...could the Wild be ready to make that type of move to open up some capspace? maybe, they already have Schultz, Zidlicky, Zanon, Barker and Stoner going forward.

would they be interested in bringing the local boy Stafford home? Stafford + ? or is the + not even necessary considering the salary theyre moving?

why would Minny do this? like i said, they could use some space, he's overpaid at this point and has underachieved a bit based on the high expectations he had early on..change of scenery could benefit him..and theyve always liked Stafford...

pipe dream? no more so than a lot of the things i'n seeing around here...Richards? Iginla? not happening.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreality View Post
with not too many affordable D-man upgrades available as UFA's, i propose going after Burns, a guy that 'might' be available. Minnesota already has $46m committed next season and are in the midst of a quick rebuild.

it would be a risk due to his injury history, and he's a tad overpaid at this point (2yrs $3.55cap hit/yr remain), but theres no denying his ability, especially as a PP QB...could the Wild be ready to make that type of move to open up some capspace? maybe, they already have Schultz, Zidlicky, Zanon, Barker and Stoner going forward.
At 6'-5" / 225 / 25 years old, Burns is certainly one player I have on my personal wish list for the needed PP QB role but I question whether he'd actually be available - of that defense corps you listed, only Zidlicky offers any kind of offensive ability so Burns seems like a guy the Wild need to keep since they traded Jonsson last season.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Reddawg

Quote:

would they be interested in bringing the local boy Stafford home? Stafford + ? or is the + not even necessary considering the salary theyre moving?

why would Minny do this? like i said, they could use some space, he's overpaid at this point and has underachieved a bit based on the high expectations he had early on..change of scenery could benefit him..and theyve always liked Stafford...

pipe dream? no more so than a lot of the things i'n seeing around here...Richards? Iginla? not happening.
That's why I'm apprehensive about the idea. The guy has only played a full season once, and unsurprisingly it was his best statistical year.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
That's why I'm apprehensive about the idea. The guy has only played a full season once, and unsurprisingly it was his best statistical year.
yeah, fair enough...i think its a risk worth taking at this point though...Darcy is due for a 'splash' trade that returns a guy with legitimate upside.

Old
05-06-2010, 02:43 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
At 6'-5" / 225 / 25 years old, Burns is certainly one player I have on my personal wish list for the needed PP QB role but I question whether he'd actually be available - of that defense corps you listed, only Zidlicky offers any kind of offensive ability so Burns seems like a guy the Wild need to keep since they traded Jonsson last season.
They acquired Cam Barker from the Blackhawks in the Johnsson trade, so he gives them another puck mover. Not saying that they would trade Burns of course, but they do have more options.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Salzig
I am laudable.

Burns is one of my favorite players but I doubt that the Wild will trade him away. In addition he shoots right and I would love to have another offensive-defenseman who's left-handed to play with Myers on one unit.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Reddawg

Quote:
yeah, fair enough...i think its a risk worth taking at this point though...Darcy is due for a 'splash' trade that returns a guy with legitimate upside.
Definitely agree with you there, and I'm not saying I'd be against getting Burns, just nervous. Salzig's arguments in favor are good ones.

Reddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Sabreality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Definitely agree with you there, and I'm not saying I'd be against getting Burns, just nervous. Salzig's arguments in favor are good ones.
too nervous to risk Stafford & Sekera, Butler or Weber?