HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

OFFICIAL Wisconsin Badgers Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2010, 04:34 AM
Badger36

vCash: 500
http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-ho...041010aaa.html
Quote:
Boston College denied the University of Wisconsin men's hockey team its seventh NCAA title as the Eagles blanked the Badgers 5-0 in front of a record-breaking 37,592 fans in the 2010 NCAA national championship game at Detroit’s Ford Field on Saturday night.

Wisconsin (28-11-4) was led by the play of junior goaltender Scott Gudmandson (Sherwood Park, Alberta), who turned away 21 shots by the Eagles.

In a rematch of the 2006 national title game when the Badgers defeated BC 2-1, the Eagles returned the favor to earn their fourth NCAA title. Boston College (29-10-3) erupted for four third-period goals after holding a slim 1-0 lead through the majority of the game.

The Eagles outshot the Badgers 26-20, and BC goalie John Muse made 20 saves as Boston College held UW scoreless. The game marked just the third time Wisconsin was shut out this season. UW went 0-for-3 on the power play while holding the Eagles to 2-for-5 with the man advantage.

Old
04-12-2010, 06:47 PM
AdmiralPred

Heartburn is beginning to subside.

Old
04-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Badger36

At least we finally have a Hobey...

Old
04-13-2010, 10:44 AM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
I can't complain about the season overall. It was a fun team to watch and I get the feeling they'll be back at that point sooner than later. Bucky still has a 6-3 record in championship games which is pretty darn good. also it's not like the '92 final whenn the game was derailed by some very suspect officiating. I know there were a couple bad calls, like the 1st PP for BC, but it wouldn't have made a difference...that game was all BC.

Next year: Davies, Geoffrion, Bendickson, A-Bohmb, Streeter, Mitchell and Grotting will graduate...thank you all for four years of service and special shout to Benidickson for playing every shift of the tournament like it would be his last.

Smitty and likely McDonagh will be gone from the backline and Goloubouf could bail early as well. Stepan probably won't go pro but there was talk he might jump to Canadian Juniors. Next year willl be a rebuild year to say the least. the D will be okay with Gardiner, Schultz, Ramage, Craig Johnson and Springer/Little. The team will be a bit more offensively challenged but having Mark (1st Star) Zengerle coming in is a step in the right direction. They might make the playoffs but won't get a far as they did this year.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Badger36

Ive heard rumors that most of the starters from this year will be gone next year, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Even if that happens, Eaves and the rest of the coaching staff will simply rebuild the team, as they have done in the past.
The Badgers will be back. It might not be next year, but it will be soon. Us Badger fans really cant complain too much, between the mens' and womens' teams, the Badgers have won some kind of hockey championship almost every year since '06. Thats a pretty impressive run.
Im proud of how the team players this year. They had their ups and downs, but it was a great season and they only fell 1 game short of their ultimate goal.
We have a few young players who I think will get a chance to be more productive on offense next year. Im hoping to see Murray grow into being more of a force on offense. He showed some potential this season and hopefully he will be even better next season.

Old
04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
MALKIN NTHE MIDDLE
▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌

vCash: 50
Quote:
True that.

Old
04-16-2010, 07:58 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
We have a few young players who I think will get a chance to be more productive on offense next year. Im hoping to see Murray grow into being more of a force on offense. He showed some potential this season and hopefully he will be even better next season.
[/QUOTE]

I was also thinking Murray will be a force to be reckoned with next year. It looks like he beefed up this year and started taking on more of a power forward role, ala Jack Skille without the attitude toward the end of the season. There are some great set up men: Stepan, Craig Smith and Derek Lee (I can't understand how he was not a regular this year) but the team will be short on finishers. I'm thinking Murray can pot 15-20 and have an equal amount of assists next year. Hopefully 1st Star!, Zengerle, can come in and be an impact player as well.

Old
05-06-2010, 12:38 PM
RabidBadger

Jason Clark officially signed to be on board next year. This is good news; it sounds like he can be a Jack Skille type player but without the sandbagging and attitude. The remaining team from last year is heavy on playmakers and light on finishers outside of Jordy Murray. Clark and 1st Star Mark Zengerle sould be impact players.

On an interesting side note; Ryan Walters, who decomitted from the Jaundiced Gerbils due to over-recruiting (don't people vilify Mike Eaves for that?) is getting a good look from Eaves to come to Madison. There is one more forward spot open and Eaves is making a serious play to get Walters to fill it. The problem is 17 other schools jumped at the chance to snatch him up when he decomimtted. I bet it comes down to Bucky and CC.

Old
05-06-2010, 05:31 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
Jason Clark officially signed to be on board next year. This is good news; it sounds like he can be a Jack Skille type player but without the sandbagging and attitude. The remaining team from last year is heavy on playmakers and light on finishers outside of Jordy Murray. Clark and 1st Star Mark Zengerle sould be impact players.
Not sure about the attitude part. Clark did lead his team in penalty minutes, afterall.

Old
05-06-2010, 08:14 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Not sure about the attitude part. Clark did lead his team in penalty minutes, afterall.
I'll take that attitude over "I'll play when I feel like it since I'm bailing after this year" any day. I appreciate Skille scoring one of the biggest goals in school history against Cornell, but I think he let it go to his head. I couldn't stand to watch him his sophmore year being apathetic until the last 1/4 of the season. I could rant on...I'm not a Skille fan.

As for a guy (Clark) who gets into some trouble for being overly competitive, that's what Badger Hockey is all about!

It's a good incoming class all around. Clark, Simonelli and 1st Star Zengerle could be all rookie candidates. 4th place in the WCHA and going down in the 2nd round of the playoffs fighting is not out of the question.

Old
05-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Badger36

I agree with you to a point. We need someone new to bring the same kind of fire and passion that Geoffrion brought.
I just hope Clark doesnt take a bunch of stupid penalties and cost us wins.

Old
05-07-2010, 07:34 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
I agree with you to a point. We need someone new to bring the same kind of fire and passion that Geoffrion brought.
I just hope Clark doesnt take a bunch of stupid penalties and cost us wins.
I hear you loud and clear after watching Craig Smith, a very bright spot on the team commit a couple ignorant penalties early in the year. It's maddening to watch a stupid play decide a game. I'm assuming you compared Clark to Geoffrion given Blake's propensity for taking some pretty bad penalties his first two years. I wondered what the hype was about his freshman year, but it was nice to watch him develop from loose cannon into the programs first Hobey winner.

Leadership and passion shouldn't be a concern with McDonagh as captain and guys like Stepan and Smith (Craig) along for the ride. Plus, you can't underestimate a team that went through the sting of being housed in a national championship game.

Old
05-09-2010, 08:14 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBadger View Post
I hear you loud and clear after watching Craig Smith, a very bright spot on the team commit a couple ignorant penalties early in the year. It's maddening to watch a stupid play decide a game. I'm assuming you compared Clark to Geoffrion given Blake's propensity for taking some pretty bad penalties his first two years. I wondered what the hype was about his freshman year, but it was nice to watch him develop from loose cannon into the programs first Hobey winner.
Yup, thats what I meant. Seems like Geoffrion always found a reason to jaw with the refs on every penalty (even when he should have just kept his mouth shut) and it seems like he let himself get drawn into scuffles much too often.
Dont get me wrong, it made things entertaining (sometimes I had to just laugh at his antics) but theres times where Geoffrion committed stupid penalties.

Quote:
Leadership and passion shouldn't be a concern with McDonagh as captain and guys like Stepan and Smith (Craig) along for the ride. Plus, you can't underestimate a team that went through the sting of being housed in a national championship game.
Im not going to count my chickens until October. A lot more players are expect to announce they are going pro by then, so its difficult to say what the team will look like. My feeling is that the '10-'11 team is going to be a completely different team than the '09-'10 team.
Not to mention that ND and SCSU are going to be pretty stacked with senior players next year, so I honestly dont expect the Badgers to make a run like they did this year.
Im hopeful, but Im not going to get my hopes up too much.

Old
06-16-2010, 06:00 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Whats the scoop from Wisconsin? Stepan and McD going pro?

any confirmation?

Old
06-16-2010, 07:32 PM
Dakota Sioux

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Whats the scoop from Wisconsin? Stepan and McD going pro?

any confirmation?
Stepan is gone.That makes 7 of the top 8 scorers gone form Buckyland.
http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/slapsh...2nVZQoEuc88fkK

Old
06-17-2010, 03:58 PM
Badger36

McD is rumored to be signing with the Rangers soon too. Supposedly he has been talking to them and they are very interested in signing him.
Its going to be an interesting year in Badgerville. Its going to be a very young team, but at least we will have a senior goaltender.
A lot of my fellow Sconnies are talking all gloom and doom, but Im staying optimistic. Mike Eaves is an amazing coach and has recruited some pretty good assisstant coaches in the offseason. I have all the faith in the world that the Badgers will be a good team by the 2nd half of the season. The first 5 games or soon might be pretty rough though.
IMO, this season the WCHA championship will be North Dakota's or SCSU's to lose. They should be the best teams in the WCHA.
Hey, as long as Bucky can manage a better record that the Gophers, I'll be OK with whatever the end result is.

Last edited by Badger36: 06-17-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old
06-17-2010, 08:17 PM
RabidBadger

McD isn't likely to sign until after NY's rookie camp, if at all. I think he may be more inclined to since Steps left; which essentially makes the team not likely to make the playoffs like when Plover Joe signed after the '06 season. McD loves the college experience, so I won't be surprised either way. It's not like the defense is depleted without him...weakened, but not depleted.

Bucky did pick up Matt Lindblad who decomitted from Dartmouth. Not a bad pickup, he went 25-48-73 in 60 games for the Sioux Falls Stampede. If Steps had bailed earlier we may have seen Ryan Walters on the team, but Lindblad may turn out to be a nice consolation prize.

I'm with GoBucky in seeing a good 2nd half of a season next year, but I don't think the playoffs are in the picture. We'll have to rally around the small victories like sweeping NoDak and Minny

Old
06-17-2010, 09:19 PM
Badger36

I personally think McD is gone. He really stands to gain little by playing another year for the UW and as a player he would grow a lot more by playing in the AHL or NHL.
Gudmanson will really need to step up this season if the Badgers are going to have any chance. They wont have the offensive firepower to bail them out when the goaltending is sup par like they did last year, so Gudmanson will need to be lights-out if they are going to have a chance. I dont see the Badgers making the NCAAs either. NoDak, St Cloud and Denver are going to be pretty good teams; which doesnt really leave much hope for a slot being available for the Badgers.
We'll though, Im hoping that Eaves will be able to work some magic and mold them into a pretty decent team by the 2nd half of the season, but we'll see.
Either way, I'll be there at the Kohl for every game. Screaming my lungs out for the Badgers and supporting my team.

Old
06-18-2010, 07:00 PM
RabidBadger

It would be nice to have McD's veteran presence for the younger guys, but at the same time the team isn't going to the top with him, so the extra ice time for guys like Springer, Little and incoming stud, Frankie Simonelli, would be beneficial in solidifying the D of the future (holy run on sentence, eh?). Without McD the backline still looks good with Gardiner, Schultz, Ramage, Springer, Little, Craig Johnson (hated to see him get shelved last year), Simonelli, Chase Drake...and I'm sure I'm missing someone.

The offense should at least be better than Mankato and AA's. Craig Smith, Jordy Murray, Derek Lee should put up some decent numbers. Incoming freshman Tyler Barnes, Jason Clark, 1st Star Zengerle and freshly stolen Matt Linblad have very nice offensive potential.

The team should be good enough to dash someone's playoff hopes in the WCHA tournament (like they did DU in '07). I have no doubt the team will be back on top in a couple years.

Old
06-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Badger36

Agreed. They will be a decent team and might even been a good team by the time February rolls around. Im not expecting an NCAA tourney bid though. Considering that the Badgers have made the Frozen Four twice in the past 5 years, had a player who won the Hobey last season and have lost 7 very good players this summer; Im not complaining. Thats part of college sports. Teams are constantly rebuilding and great coaching and recruiting is what seperates champions from everyone else.
It would be great to see them ruin ND's chances of winning the WCHA in the last season for the, "fighting Sioux" name.

Old
06-20-2010, 07:56 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Agreed. They will be a decent team and might even been a good team by the time February rolls around. Im not expecting an NCAA tourney bid though. Considering that the Badgers have made the Frozen Four twice in the past 5 years, had a player who won the Hobey last season and have lost 7 very good players this summer; Im not complaining. Thats part of college sports. Teams are constantly rebuilding and great coaching and recruiting is what seperates champions from everyone else.
It would be great to see them ruin ND's chances of winning the WCHA in the last season for the, "fighting Sioux" name.
No what is going to be great is when the Fighting Sioux win their 8th National Championship in their last year with the name and then shove it down Standing Rocks throat.It's gonna be sweet.

Old
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
No what is going to be great is when the Fighting Sioux win their 8th National Championship in their last year with the name and then shove it down Standing Rocks throat.It's gonna be sweet.
Best of luck with that. I could see you guys winning the WCHA, but a prediction of winning the NCAAs is a bit of a stretch.

Old
06-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Dakota Sioux

Quote:
Best of luck with that. I could see you guys winning the WCHA, but a prediction of winning the NCAAs is a bit of a stretch.
Why a stretch? They have as good of a chance as anyone else. Just need to get hot at the right time and it's been 10 years since their last one so they are about due.They have everybody back but two seniors and if Genoway can somehow get back to the form he was in before he was cheap shotted from behind I like their chances.Going to be a fun year for Sioux hockey and the WCHA.Is it October yet?

Old
06-21-2010, 08:58 PM
RabidBadger

Quote:
Why a stretch? They have as good of a chance as anyone else. Just need to get hot at the right time and it's been 10 years since their last one so they are about due.They have everybody back but two seniors and if Genoway can somehow get back to the form he was in before he was cheap shotted from behind I like their chances.Going to be a fun year for Sioux hockey and the WCHA.Is it October yet?
I stated NoDak, BC, Miami and St. Cloud were the cream of the crap for next year in an earlier thread...a thought repeated by INCH a couple weeks after my articulate post. The other three have, arguably, better goaltending but I think only BC matches the Giouxns (they beter pick a new name we can ridicule as well as the current one) in overall depth. Genoway and Kristo are the only "big name" stars, but the depth is pretty good. Anything less than an FF appearance would have to be pretty disappointing for NoDak.

Old
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Theres just too many variables and too many things can happen. All in takes is some injuries to key players, the team to go cold, bad luck or an unknown to team to get hot in the playoffs and anything could happen.
Look at Denver: they were set up great for a championship, were ranked #1 for much of the season but fell apart at the end of the season and didnt even come close to making the FF, much less winning the national championship.
The playoffs in college hockey are so unpredictable because its 1 game per round. All it takes is 1 bad game, over a flukey goal at the end of the game or in OT and even a great team can be out.
At least we an agree on the, "is it October yet???" part.

Closed Thread