HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poll: Which Goalie Prospect

View Poll Results: Who do you think?
Sergei Bobrovsky 28 44.44%
Joacim Eriksson 25 39.68%
Too close to call 8 12.70%
Other (Riopel, Morrison, De Serres, Phillips, Stewart) 2 3.17%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2010, 06:38 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Poll: Which Goalie Prospect

Bobrovsky/Eriksson. Which prospect do you think is better/are you more excited about?

This is just to get a little feedback from everyone here.

SERGEI BOBROVSKY
19 - 2007-08 Metallurg Novokuznetsk (RSL): 24 GP - 2.91 GAA - 0.901 SV%
20 - 2008-09 Metallurg Novokuznetsk (KHL): 32 GP - 2.49 GAA - 0.927 SV%
21 - 2009-10 Metallurg Novokuznetsk (KHL): 35 GP - 2.72 GAA - 0.919 SV%
22 - 2010-11 Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL)

JOACIM ERIKSSON
17 - 2007-08 Brynas (SWE-J20): 16 GP - 3.31 GAA - 0.875 SV%
18 - 2008-09 Brynas (SWE-J20): 33 GP - 1.99 GAA - 0.930 SV%
19 - 2009-10 Leksand (Allsvenskan): 38 GP - 2.40 GAA - 0.926 SV%
20 - 2010-11 Skelleftea (SEL)

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Mgkibbles

Bobrovsky seems slightly better from different things I've read, but its nearly too close to call.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Haute Couturier

Eriksson, but I don't know much about Bobrovsky. The KHL is a lower scoring league so I am not sure how impressive his stats are when someone like Esche can dominate over there.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Eriksson, but I don't know much about Bobrovsky. The KHL is a lower scoring league so I am not sure how impressive his stats are when someone like Esche can dominate over there.
Playing on literally the worse team, Brosky put up a better sv% then Esche did, and saw more shots.

From the KHL website

Quote:

Bobrovsky Sergei 1 MNK 35 9 22 3 1093 89 1004 91.9 2.72 0 1 4 1964:17

Esche Robert 31 SKA 42 29 7 5 1043 87 956 91.7 2.07 3 6 57 2526:27
Brosky only let in 2 more goals then Esche did

EDIT: Looked at the team, their highest scorer had 24 points in 53 games. Their best defender had 12 points, and a -4 was the best +-

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Lomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Playing on literally the worse team, Brosky put up a better sv% then Esche did, and saw more shots.

From the KHL website

Brosky only let in 2 more goals then Esche did

More shots tends to inflate save%, not the other way around.

-----

Can't pick which prospect I like better because I haven't seen Bobrovsky play at all. Seems like alot of people are high on him tho so I guess he is a real talent. Hope he succeeds, we need him to.
I like Eriksson alot but he is at least 2 years away from making his Flyers debut. Best goalie prospect we have here in Sweden after Markström.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:35 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomark View Post
More shots tends to inflate save%, not the other way around.

-----

Can't pick which prospect I like better because I haven't seen Bobrovsky play at all. Seems like alot of people are high on him tho so I guess he is a real talent. Hope he succeeds, we need him to.
I like Eriksson alot but he is at least 2 years away from making his Flyers debut. Best goalie prospect we have here in Sweden after Markström.

??? More shots means more saves. If you had a worse save % while seeing less shots, thats not a good thing.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:54 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I personally think Eriksson will be the better of the two and that's only because of what he did in his first season of professional hockey. The numbers speak for itself: 38 GP - 2.40 GAA - 0.926 SV% and that doesn't include the number of shutouts he had plus the fact Eriksson was 19 when he put up those numbers.

That's not to say that Bobrovsky is no slouch. If anything, the Bobrovsky signing means that the Flyers want serious competition amongst their goaltenders and they really want someone to step up from within to claim the starter's role for years to come.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:56 AM
PhillyCurt12

will the flyers resign backlund? i would hate to see him walk for nothing given his strong play the 2nd half of the ahl season and the risk that neither of these prospects fully pans out.

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:00 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Bobrovsky, if only because he's played against better competition.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:02 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
will the flyers resign backlund? i would hate to see him walk for nothing given his strong play the 2nd half of the ahl season and the risk that neither of these prospects fully pans out.
I'm 99% sure Backlund won't be back.

Old
05-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Lomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
??? More shots means more saves. If you had a worse save % while seeing less shots, thats not a good thing.
I don't agree. Goalies on lesser teams usually face more shots but a large chunk of those shots are lesser quality shots coming from sustained offensive zone pressure and the better team trying to force the issue.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:51 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

I am Russia, well actually American, but have heavy Russia roots, love Bobrovsky's game, love his stats on the ********* team in the KHL, so everything should point to me liking Bobrovsky, right?

Well for me its Eriksson, I think this kid has elite level talent and put up absolutely spectacular numbers in the SEL this season, on what was also a pretty crappy team. He was one of the best goalies in the league hands down and was even getting thrown into the discussion with Markstrom as being a top goalie prospect.

When he comes over here to play, it will be a great day for Flyers fans.

ShawnTHW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Kaktus*

too early to say. Whoever develops faster and plays better in North America.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 04:38 PM
dookie88

Can someone give me a few insides on both of them in terms of style and skill?

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:56 PM
captainpaxil

from what i hear bobo will be ready sooner perhaps this year and sunshines has a way to go but has the higher ceiling. lets see em play some north american games first before i really pin one down.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:14 PM
aqsw
PM

vCash: 400
Quote:
I don't agree. Goalies on lesser teams usually face more shots but a large chunk of those shots are lesser quality shots coming from sustained offensive zone pressure and the better team trying to force the issue.
Good debate, and I didn't have a clue. I asked my son who has a masters in statistics(he's still in university, going for a ph.d).
To put it in short terms, he totally agrees with Lomark

(something about quality of shots about 25%)

aqsw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:25 PM
flountown

Either way this is an excuse to buy some EUROPEAN JERSEYS...for all the complaining about Edge jersey prices and fakes, there is no reason to buy fake Russian jerseys, since they can be had for 60-90 bucks customized, legit, and of good Lutch quality.

Just looked up Skelleftea AIK's jerseys, they are frickin' absurd...

Last edited by flountown: 05-06-2010 at 06:41 PM.
flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:26 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqsw View Post
Good debate, and I didn't have a clue. I asked my son who has a masters in statistics(he's still in university, going for a ph.d).
To put it in short terms, he totally agrees with Lomark

(something about quality of shots about 25%)
Same can be said with GAA. It all depends on what you look at. I prefer sv% over GAA. Obvously sv% can be inflated with bad shots. But that doesnt matter. Any kind of shot can go in. Making the save if it was a bad shot or good is still making a save

Old
05-06-2010, 07:34 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

Their both Flyers goalie prospects so they're probably both doomed.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
This makes the monumental assumption that the opposing teams are going to try to exploit defensive weakness via taking a large quantity of harmless shots and hoping to get a bounce, versus working for higher percentage shots.

It's difficult to know that much from comparing the SVPCT of two different guys on two very different teams (one is on the best team in his league and one is on the worst), in two different leagues, with out actually eyeballing some of the game action.

Suffice to say Bobrovsky's stats sound impressive, but have any of us sat and watched him play a whole game? Anyone?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Suffice to say Bobrovsky's stats sound impressive, but have any of us sat and watched him play a whole game? Anyone?
Twice haha. Not full games, but decent chunks.

Old
05-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Twice haha. Not full games, but decent chunks.
Any personal insights on him. Things you noticed stylistically, or things you thought stood out? do you have any links ot online video of him? The guy sounds interesting, but I'm only cautiously optimistic, at least before I can even get a lookat him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I am Russia, well actually American, but have heavy Russia roots, love Bobrovsky's game, love his stats on the ********* team in the KHL, so everything should point to me liking Bobrovsky, right?

Well for me its Eriksson, I think this kid has elite level talent and put up absolutely spectacular numbers in the SEL this season, on what was also a pretty crappy team. He was one of the best goalies in the league hands down and was even getting thrown into the discussion with Markstrom as being a top goalie prospect.

Mike Richards is cannon.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:54 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post

Eriksson was in the Allsvenskan, the 2nd tier league. He played on the best team in the league, Leksands. I think you're confusing Markstrom and Eriksson, Markstrom was the one that played on a terrible team, he was the only reason they finished 6th in the SEL.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:05 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Any personal insights on him. Things you noticed stylistically, or things you thought stood out? do you have any links ot online video of him? The guy sounds interesting, but I'm only cautiously optimistic, at least before I can even get a lookat him.
He isn't easily rattled. He's a very calm, decisive goalie from what I've seen. He isn't going to toy around with the puck behind the net though I'm not entirely sure if that's because he's been taught to play that way or because of personal preference.

People say that rebound control is his weakness, but I didn't see any real issue with it when I watched him. He's pretty quick and doesn't play small in net like I've noticed with Riopel. What I mean by that is that he controls his crease and plays like he owns it, not that he's going to punch somebody or anything. Maybe it's a hard concept to explain. I guess, he is the dominant figure there as opposed to Riopel who I've noticed plays sort of like he's working against this monumental cage behind him. It's not a direct reference to size but play-style, attitude, and confidence.

I did put some clips up of his best saves from this season provided by EuroFlyers. At least he said they were some of his best saves. I'll have to look that up again and post it.

I will caution you though that what I've seen is a small sample size. I'll have a much better idea come summer camps.