HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Which forward prospect makes the team 1st???

View Poll Results: Which forward prospect makes the team first???
Brayden Schenn - He's too good not to be. 54 60.67%
Trevor Lewis - Because his skating and grit will be needed. 4 4.49%
Oscar Moller - He's got good offensive instincts and a decent shot. 19 21.35%
Marc Andre Cliche - Need another solid bottom six player. 2 2.25%
Other - Czarnik, Clifford, Loktionov, Azevedo, etc. 10 11.24%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-06-2010, 02:37 PM
Pucknut50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Smyth-Kopitar-Williams
Schenn-Stoll-Brown
Clifford-Richardson-Simmonds
Westgarth-Lewis-Clune

That's my lineup for next season, barring any additions of course.
Yuk. Going to miss playoffs with that lineup.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:52 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I think Schenn and hoping Holloway makes it. Kid likes to shoot and he has some size and game. He's been kinda off our ugly step child.....Always forgotten ya know. Hickey or Voynov (sp) probably make the club.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 03:02 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

I think the bummer with the prospects is were will they fit in. We have good one and yes I know they all wont pan out, but it seems unlikely some good players won't really get a healthy look.

Arguably top tier prospects

Loki
Moller
Kozun
Holloway
Lewis
Clifford

Thats 6 pretty good prospects and probably could play for a team like the Islander next year but how do we get them the looks and were do they slide in the top 9.

Smyth Kopi Williams
_____ Schenn Brown
Richards Zues Simmonds

That's if we don't resign Fro and get rid of Stoll and bring a top line sniper in and sign Zues to a 2 yr contract. Were do they fit. Smyth and Williams seem to be the most likely replaceable but they maybe here for 2 more years. I hate seeing talent go to waste. DL's got a problem on his hands.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 03:13 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Kopi and Brown are the two top sixers here for the long haul. I'm not counting Simmonds who I expect to continue to play with Zus. Its only a big problem if they all hit their maturity at the same time. We probably will lose or have to trade a couple of good prospects, but that's what you call a good problem. You just have to keep them all around long enough to make sure you keep the cream of the crop.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Defgarden

Loktionov. Because, hell, I don't know. Just goin' with it.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Defgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingjordan View Post
Schenn should but he should NOT be playing on the 4th line...
Why? He's played ONE NHL game. I have no problems starting rookies who have to earn their ice time on the 4th line. If they play well, promote them up. If the coach is entertaining thoughts of putting him in a scoring role, he can certainly slot him some time on the top lines for a game or two as a reward for playing well.

I just have problems with automatically putting rookies on the top 2 lines when they haven't earned it.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

^ Exactly and Schenn being the type of player he is, shouldn't be out of place playing on a checking/grinder line. He'll get a lot of good experience just forechecking, crashing and banging. That's what she said. It should suit him and his game more than it did or would for a guy like Moller who is completely out of place and out manned/muscled playing on the 4th line.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 06:52 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Yeah its funny, everyone wants to emulate the Red WIngs' success, but no one wants to develop our prospects the same way. A year or two of checking line, low minute duty to earn you scout badges and learn to play good defense before being relied upon to create offense.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
Yuk. Going to miss playoffs with that lineup.
You lack comprehension skills. That lineup is without any additions, which there are sure to be at least 3.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

I am still a little guns shy of bringing up Schenn so early especially when I have little confidence in TM's ability to properly assess and develop young talent. I shouldn't feel this way about Schenn of all players as he is reputed (and from what I've seen) to be a tough young two way forward with 4-6 written all over him.

For some reason I feel rushing him could really hurt his development. I would much rather see him getting brought along as a fourth line grinder who, if he shows he either has the unique talent or necessary skills gets a sniff at the second line or on the 2nd pp unit.

To me this is a sort of weird thing because I was of the opinion that Simmer should be brought in and popped right into our top 6 or at worst used between our 2nd and 3rd lines and LS is supposed to be the same type of player only with much more upside. Another weird spot for me, nothing new.

I will say that those are the same reasons why I could see a Kozun getting a cup of coffee with the team. He has solid hands, can skate well enough and plays a good physical game, it seems to me he is more ready to step into a checking line roll.

I don't know. One year or one more year in the AHL wouldn't hurt ANY of our prospects with the exception of VV and maybe Westy.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I am still a little guns shy of bringing up Schenn so early especially when I have little confidence in TM's ability to properly assess and develop young talent. I shouldn't feel this way about Schenn of all players as he is reputed (and from what I've seen) to be a tough young two way forward with 4-6 written all over him.
You think Kopitar or Doughty or Johnson or Quick or Simmonds have regressed while being coached under Terry Murray? What exactly has Terry Murray done to make any fan have little confidence in his ability to coach young players?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Tonellisghost
Baby Face Killer!

Kopi should be taken off the list as he was there before TM.

But as to the rest I would say that it is the steady direction of Harpo that has turned around JMFJ and DD is a "generational talent", if I have ever seen an unscrewable puppy, he is it. Simmonds is an excellent counter point and I will have to chew on that before I respond.

I will say that what I have said about TM is one of the knocks on him that has been said by several other more prominent NHLers during his tenure but that hasn't really effected my opinion so I shouldn't even mention it.

Let me think of a counter and I will come back with it. I can give you a couple of examples but I will wait until I can sus it out.

Tonellisghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

What have NHLers said about Terry Murray? Judging from his previous coaching stints, he got a lot out of the teams he had.
http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/murrate01c.html

Take note that he took over the bench in Washington, Philadelphia and Florida when they were not playoff caliber teams. He turned their fortunes around, and did the same with the Kings.

He isn't shy about playing young players either from what I've seen. Drewiske and Harrold played prominent roles as rookies. He also used Clune fairly regularly down the stretch this season. I don't think he discriminates towards age. It sounds like at times that if Terry Murray had his way, Bernier would have been in LA, but Lombardi also has a say in who stays and who plays.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:10 AM
kingdoughty

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
I think the bummer with the prospects is were will they fit in. We have good one and yes I know they all wont pan out, but it seems unlikely some good players won't really get a healthy look.

Arguably top tier prospects

Loki
Moller
Kozun
Holloway
Lewis
Clifford

Thats 6 pretty good prospects and probably could play for a team like the Islander next year but how do we get them the looks and were do they slide in the top 9.

Smyth Kopi Williams
_____ Schenn Brown
Richards Zues Simmonds

That's if we don't resign Fro and get rid of Stoll and bring a top line sniper in and sign Zues to a 2 yr contract. Were do they fit. Smyth and Williams seem to be the most likely replaceable but they maybe here for 2 more years. I hate seeing talent go to waste. DL's got a problem on his hands.
Put smyth with schenn and kovulchuk or sharp with kopitar

kingdoughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:22 AM
lafan

schenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdoughty View Post
Put smyth with schenn and kovulchuk or sharp with kopitar
i have watched this guy all season and would have to say he is at least two years away from makeing the NHL . Huge diff between the WhL and the NHL eh.

lafan is offline   Reply With Quote