HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 Playoff Theme: Win it for Warren (Gen. Photoshop Thread)

Old
04-29-2010, 10:16 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

vCash: 500
2011 Playoff Theme: Win it for Warren (Gen. Photoshop Thread)

Photoshop is back up and running. I actually have a really cool theme for next year, but I'm also having to work around HF image guidelines to keep them under 20 KB (unless you all want to become sponsors for next season, in which case I could use much higher-res images).

The theme I have in mind for next year's avatars has a little more of an F-U feel to it...

... but since image quality may be an issue, I'm open to suggestions as well.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Very nice looking
Afraid I probably won't be using it, though, I'm still trying to figure out a good balance between Oilers and Predators.

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Photoshop is back up and running. I actually have a really cool theme for next year, but I'm also having to work around HF image guidelines to keep them under 20 KB (unless you all want to become sponsors for next season, in which case I could use much higher-res images).

The theme I have in mind for next year's avatars has a little more of an F-U feel to it...

... but since image quality may be an issue, I'm open to suggestions as well.
haha, reminds me of those workout commercials on Versus

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2010, 11:44 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

All right, sample time.

The first batch of avatars I made actually looked really solid, but after compression, I have doubts.

Here are the first two prototypes, Weber and Suter (note that these are the usable versions, not the originals):

After those were compressed, I went about making another version with Sullivan and Hornqvist to see if it would survive compression better. I think it did.

So there are my two designs. If we can reach a consensus on one, I can start production and have the system in full swing by the time free agency rolls around.

Old
04-30-2010, 11:09 AM
MemphisMTLfan

Jinx.

Hello 50 pt season!

I can see the jokes now.

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 05:25 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

This get's my thumbs up. Nice job Worst......

Now where is your draft preview *Whipcrack*

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
I personally love the iPred themes. If it didn't say 2009-10 on it I'd probably keep it next year.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 12:48 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Now where is your draft preview *Whipcrack*
Should be out in early June this year. I've had a lot of work to do for school, plus working baseball games every weekend, and haven't really had time to work on some of the leagues. My WHL, QMJHL, and USHL sections are sorely lacking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I personally love the iPred themes. If it didn't say 2009-10 on it I'd probably keep it next year.
I know, and I didn't figure anything would top the iPred theme in terms of popularity or creative options. BFC had suggested a theme based around LOLCats, but I thought that might be better suited for the playoffs (with the obvious title of, "I Can Haz Stanley?"). This still has some potential to be a clever concept (for example, putting Arnott in a La-Z-Boy, or replacing him with one all together). It's fairly easy to make, has the potential for a large number of avatars, and, IMO, it has an appropriate theme to it for this season, especially to me, considering the way we lost and how I expect the players and organization as a whole to feel about it.

Without reaching a definitive consensus, I've gone ahead and made some more samples of the second choice.

Pekka Rinne:

Jordin Tootoo:

Colin Wilson:

Again, if anyone has suggestions for alternate schemes, I'm open to giving them a shot, but if not, I'd like to start having claims put in after the second day of the draft in June.

Old
05-01-2010, 02:37 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I like the first 2 (with Weber/Suter) the most.

However I think it could be hard to find images of some players getting tough or mad.

Anyway.....good job, I like both choices and the theme.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 10:53 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Love it, great idea.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
If we could find a picture of Sullivan in Game 2 when the camera caught him looking like a possessed mad man jawing with a Hawk player during a scrum behind the goal that would be the best avatar ever. Anyone remember what I mean by chance?

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 07:39 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

Meh.

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Jonesey
Sons of Anarchy

I'll most likely stick with Colin Wilson.

Jonesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 03:45 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by spank303 View Post
However I think it could be hard to find images of some players getting tough or mad.

Anyway.....good job, I like both choices and the theme.
I see what you did there.

I liked the concept of the Weber and Suter ones (thus the reason why they were my first design), but at the same time, I had to really compromise image quality to make them usable. The Rinne prototype I had that looked really good when I finished it was completely unusable after I put it through compression. With the second set, taking out the extra frame did a world of good for quality. Plus, after seeing probably a third of the avatars I did for the iPred theme go unused, I'd rather have something that isn't quite so time-consuming. As a matter of fact, I just churned out seven of these in the time it took me to make one of the iPred avatars, and even though I still had to compress them, I think they look much better in terms of resolution and player image quality than my early prototypes.

Here are the seven I cooked up this morning. First up, Joel Ward:

David Legwand:

Marcel Goc:

Kevin Klein:

Cody Franson:

Cal O'Reilly:

And last, but far from least, Jason Arnott:

Each player is going to have a "face" avatar (Legwand, Ward, all the previous avatars) and an "action" avatar (Klein and Franson).

Old
05-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:

Each player is going to have a "face" avatar (Legwand, Ward, all the previous avatars) and an "action" avatar (Klein and Franson).
Thanks for the effort on these, as well as for this past season. I thought the iPreds were well done.

I think you have hit on something big. I may be in the minority here, but I like the concept of an "action" avatar component, especially the Arnott one. His "action" avatar could be him cashing a check at a bank, Belak delivering a punch(line) 'cause he's funny, Trotz eating a lineup card behind the bench, Horacheck looking at the classifieds for a new job and so forth.

Now those would be sweet.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2010, 05:30 PM
MemphisMTLfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds Partisan View Post
Thanks for the effort on these, as well as for this past season. I thought the iPreds were well done.

I think you have hit on something big. I may be in the minority here, but I like the concept of an "action" avatar component, especially the Arnott one. His "action" avatar could be him cashing a check at a bank, Belak delivering a punch(line) 'cause he's funny, Trotz eating a lineup card behind the bench, Horacheck looking at the classifieds for a new job and so forth.

Now those would be sweet.
Okay, that made my day!

MemphisMTLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 07:11 PM
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan

I like 'em, nice job!!! I think the iPred is really cool and could perhaps be continued, but these are awesome too. I would rock one right now but I have to support my Pens until the Cup is won.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Que Sera Sera

Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
Quote:
I see what you did there.

I liked the concept of the Weber and Suter ones (thus the reason why they were my first design), but at the same time, I had to really compromise image quality to make them usable. The Rinne prototype I had that looked really good when I finished it was completely unusable after I put it through compression. With the second set, taking out the extra frame did a world of good for quality. Plus, after seeing probably a third of the avatars I did for the iPred theme go unused, I'd rather have something that isn't quite so time-consuming. As a matter of fact, I just churned out seven of these in the time it took me to make one of the iPred avatars, and even though I still had to compress them, I think they look much better in terms of resolution and player image quality than my early prototypes.

Here are the seven I cooked up this morning. First up, Joel Ward:

David Legwand:

Marcel Goc:

Kevin Klein:

Cody Franson:

Cal O'Reilly:

May I ask what effect you used to make these? I've been trying to make my own avatars and they just don't turn out like this. What's your process?

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:23 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 273
without taking anything at all away from the effort and creativity that went into making these, to me a "payback" theme would be for next years playoffs. I think of "paybacK" as a season theme as something that would follow a very down regular season (ie it would have been appropriate for this past regular season, or would be great for say the Stars or the Ducks for next year...

if the rumors that the 3rds will become the new home jerseys, i wonder if a "Men in Black(and Blue)" theme would work. Each player would then either be an agent or an alien.

Weber is "Agent S", Tootoo is a SkullThumpian, Arnott the Mushmelonian, Sully from Smurfspedia... you get the idea

just my $0.02 US.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:42 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
without taking anything at all away from the effort and creativity that went into making these, to me a "payback" theme would be for next years playoffs. I think of "paybacK" as a season theme as something that would follow a very down regular season (ie it would have been appropriate for this past regular season, or would be great for say the Stars or the Ducks for next year...

if the rumors that the 3rds will become the new home jerseys, i wonder if a "Men in Black(and Blue)" theme would work. Each player would then either be an agent or an alien.

Weber is "Agent S", Tootoo is a SkullThumpian, Arnott the Mushmelonian, Sully from Smurfspedia... you get the idea

just my $0.02 US.
You mean something liiiiike... this?

And this?

It's actually a really cool idea: the tricky part is finding images of all the guys in third jerseys.

Old
05-07-2010, 12:36 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 273
ok, that took, what, an hour???

gotta hand it to you... you're good man...

and yes, thats pretty much exactly what I had in mind

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:37 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

just my $0.02 US.
Great idea!

And WFM that's great work but agreed it might be difficult to find pictures of everyone in the thirds.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:29 AM
predfan98

I like the men in black better.

Is the "men in black" so familiar that you could just do the "men in blue" and everyone would know the reference? Just a thought. It would help make it not as cluttered, with all the words.

What about using a dark blue as the background instead of black? And making an alternate color in yellow?

I don't know if any of these ideas work artistically.

Great stuff...

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:15 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Somehow the green men from Vancouver have to get involved in this.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:36 PM
JacklegJack

Quote:
It's actually a really cool idea: the tricky part is finding images of all the guys in third jerseys.
Here's a nice cache of Preds 3rd jersey photos:

http://www.icethetics.info/alternates/nashville-predators-09/

The coloring effects have already been done for you too, win-win.

JacklegJack is offline   Reply With Quote