HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL concedes last Chi goal last night should have been disallowed due to goalie inte

Old
05-06-2010, 09:21 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Just once I'd like to see the Nucks run an opposing goalie.
Pittsburgh and Montreal are certainly wreaking havoc in each others' creases - Detroit has had Holmstrom forever - Boston and Philly certainly aren't shy.

Is there some West Coast rule that says only Vancouver will play "gentlemanly"?

Old
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Slashy McSlewfoot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJibbs View Post
Maybe not. All they've been talking about since last night is how they need to run Niemi. I think that's mostly just gamesmanship to force the NHL to crackdown on the 'Hawks though
That's exactly what it is. I'm glad somebody else picked up on this.

If the Canucks were actually going to turn the tables and give the Hawks a taste of their own medicine, they sure wouldn't be telling the media every chance they get that they plan to run Niemi. It's an obvious ploy to have the refs crack down on goalie interference.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Just once I'd like to see the Nucks run an opposing goalie. I don't give a **** about being labeled classless either. It's the playoffs, it's not getting called, and it continually happens to Luongo. Although some how I doubt the refs would miss it when the Nucks do it. The integrity of the NHL has been on the decline ever since I've started watching on hockey.
It's not about being 'classless', it's about not being disciplined. If the Canucks lose their composure and start taking runs at the opposing goalie they'll find themselves on the PK, where they've been abysmal at times this season, including recently.

The Hawks have the PK to take risks and walk that line in front of Luongo. Even if they do get called they just send out their elite PK and problem solved. If the Canucks want to put an end to the Hawks crease crashing they'll need to start doing something on the PP to make the Hawks think twice about pushing the envelope.

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:33 PM
xOvechkin*

refs are tools

xOvechkin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:44 PM
CRDragon
\_(シ)_/

Quote:
Originally Posted by xOvechkin View Post
refs are tools
tools of Gary Bettman

CRDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
ZyggZagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRDragon View Post
tools of Gary Bettman
Well played, sir!

ZyggZagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:09 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie - Darren Dreger reporting now on TSN that NHL concedes last Chi goal last night should have been disallowed due to goalie interference.

Wow.. so they admit it this time. Maybe it's time to get some new employees in the "war room"?
There were numerous examples of the Hawks crashing the crease and getting away with it. I posted a clip of Ladd getting away with running Luongo in game 2. In Game 3, there were many more incidents. The third goal was a clear case as well and should not have counted either.

The league admitting it now is nothing but a weak attempt to absolve themselves. They'll throw the refs under the bus and claim their position on those kinds of infractions has not changed.

The damage is done, the Hawks received lenient officiating benefiting their style. Now that they've got the two wins, I expect the Canucks will be called for goalie interference if they even brush by Niemi.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:31 PM
serge2k

Amazing that this was admitted.

Now the NHL just needs to toss those refs from the playoffs.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Riven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eukaryote View Post
The damage is done, the Hawks received lenient officiating benefiting their style. Now that they've got the two wins, I expect the Canucks will be called for goalie interference if they even brush by Niemi.
Count on it.

The refs will go to both coaches before the game and warn them about messing with the goalies.

Burrows will ignore the warning and get penalized.

Riven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:37 PM
Slapshot_11

Well... that doesnt really help us now

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Eukaryote

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
Amazing that this was admitted.

Now the NHL just needs to toss those refs from the playoffs.
They did their job and will probably get bonuses.

Eukaryote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
DMcSavage

Uhhhh, it took them that long to admit it and figure it out?? They have to be complete idiots, any sane and rational person who knows the rules of hockey saw that and called it Goalie Interference. Brutal.
What makes it worse is Byfugly got the hatty because of it. Now the 10 BHawk fans can rejoice.

DMcSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:54 PM
NuxFan09

Well, I'm glad they at least admitted to their mistake. It didn't affect the outcome of the game per se, but those calls still shouldn't be botched in an important playoff game. You never know, a team could have it in them to tie the game. We all know there wasn't much chance the Canucks would but that's not the point. The point is, whatever the point in the game, the NHL needs to get their act together and get these calls right.

NuxFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Hal 9000*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas View Post
That's exactly what it is. I'm glad somebody else picked up on this.

If the Canucks were actually going to turn the tables and give the Hawks a taste of their own medicine, they sure wouldn't be telling the media every chance they get that they plan to run Niemi. It's an obvious ploy to have the refs crack down on goalie interference.
If Veenyo, or anybody else thinks that the refs are gonna cut the canucks some slack and stop the hawks from running Luongo, they're very naive. The 5th goal last night proves that the refs aren't gonna deal with it. Veenyo basically pleaded with the referees before the series started to watch out for Byfuglien and his crease crashing and now we see Luongo not only getting run at, but pushed into the goal with the puck.

If anything, the refs probably want to lull the canucks into a false sense of security so they don't run at Niemi while the hawks continue their crease crashing on Luongo.

It's all very nice and good to take the high road and not run at Niemi. I hope that comforts the canucks as they watch the hawks win the stanley cup.

Hal 9000* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Mudshark50

I envision a "Trevor Linden toe in the blue paint ala '95 Canucks/Blackhawks playoffs" moment coming up....

Mudshark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Cromulence
Up and at them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudshark50 View Post
I envision a "Trevor Linden toe in the blue paint ala '95 Canucks/Blackhawks playoffs" moment coming up....
Oh god. I still remember that. What a terrible call. Then in the next game one of the Blackhawks was completely inside of McLean's crease and they allowed it.

Cromulence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:18 AM
Burr14

For those of you pleased with this development, just know that when the Canucks get near Niemi tomorrow a penalty will be called and this will be the justification for the call.

Burr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Slashy McSlewfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
If Veenyo, or anybody else thinks that the refs are gonna cut the canucks some slack and stop the hawks from running Luongo, they're very naive. The 5th goal last night proves that the refs aren't gonna deal with it. Veenyo basically pleaded with the referees before the series started to watch out for Byfuglien and his crease crashing and now we see Luongo not only getting run at, but pushed into the goal with the puck.

If anything, the refs probably want to lull the canucks into a false sense of security so they don't run at Niemi while the hawks continue their crease crashing on Luongo.

It's all very nice and good to take the high road and not run at Niemi. I hope that comforts the canucks as they watch the hawks win the stanley cup.
Huh? What are you talking about?

Anyways, I agree the Canucks should have dealt with it themselves, during the game, instead of going to the media afterwards in a lame attempt to get the league to stop the Hawks playing physical in front of Luongo.

Slashy McSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:29 AM
Mudshark50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromulence View Post
Oh god. I still remember that. What a terrible call. Then in the next game one of the Blackhawks was completely inside of McLean's crease and they allowed it.
That sounds like the karma that is building up here. I don't know what to expect out of the stripes tomorrow night, I just hope they don't play a part in the outcome of the game. The Hawks are more than enough to deal with....

Mudshark50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Reign Nateo

Again, the NHL is bush league. Brutal.

Someone needs to get a head of steam from the blueline and skate right the **** over Niemi. Time to send a message.

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:02 AM
Ribban

This is actually hilarious. Not the Canucks losses or poor officiating. That I find tragic actually.

But the conversation about poor officiating, the political games in the media, the lack of retaliation and "eye for an eye" mantality, as well as how the league is creating a double standard for what the Hawks get away with vs. what the Canucks get away with, etc.

Here is the funny part.

I could translate every single thread in here to Swedish and substitute every Canuck reference to Sweden and every Hawk reference to Canada, and you would have an exact replication of what it sounds like on the Swedish boards, media, etc. after Sweden loses to Canada in any given contest.

Please understand that I'm not taking a stab at Canada or Canadian hockey at all. It's just funny that the arguments and the emotions are so similar for the same reasons.

On a more serious note, I honestly question the NHL and how it changes its rule book for the play-offs. It's starting to give me the same bad taste I get from soccer. A guy gets pulled down in the box, and they, "Oh, it wasn't enough to be a penalty" although similar fouls outside the penalty box would have yielded a free kick every day of the week and twice on Sundays?!?

There is a rule book. Use it. Call according to it, no matter what. Why are certain rules okay to ignore if others aren't? According to the "Let the players decide" idiot mantra, we should allow any number of guys out on the ice as well. I mean if we can ignore one rule, why honor another?

The NHL is back to making a mockery of itself, and the people who came into to the game after the lock out (when for a short while they actually used the rule book and called the game consistently) are soon gone if they don't clean it up again.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:23 AM
Flame Extinguisher

Its kind of funny yet interesting....

after all the latest canucks interviews, they talk about "playing more like chicago", i assume in terms of crashing the net. It will be very interesting to see the interference penalties called against the Nucks if they crash Neimi..and it will be hilarious watching Vigneault's face after all the calls too. haha.

Heres to more whining

Flame Extinguisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:27 AM
oilfan9911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post

after all the latest canucks interviews, they talk about "playing more like chicago", i assume in terms of crashing the net. It will be very interesting to see the interference penalties called against the Nucks if they crash Neimi..and it will be hilarious watching Vigneault's face after all the calls too. haha.

Heres to more whining
WWWWWAAAAAANNNNNNN - couver

oilfan9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Ribban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz View Post

Heres to more whining

The mental image I got of AV's expression cracked me up.

In all honesty though, I sure as hell hope they are able to check their emotions and pride before tomorrow and come out moving their feet like in game 1, and after reading the Sun, I have a feeling that the Sedins might have gotten the wake up call they needed and will come out to have a great game.

It wouldn't surprise me if all the media hype about how they were going to be pushed around by the Hawks in conjunction with the history of them being considerd soft caused them to set out to prove everybody wrong in this series. Hopefully they have learned that Headlines and talk show hosts don't win games. Scoring does, and scoring is something they are pretty decent at when they focus on that.

Tomorrow will for sure be interesting.

Ribban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:32 AM
Balls Mahoney
wants more Sesito

I didn't know Oilers fans still paid attention to hockey in the post-season. I thought you guys would be enjoying the two weeks of overcast summer you get up there instead of watching the successful teams.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote