HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mtl team without NHL player next year?

Closed Thread

Old
03-03-2005, 02:32 AM
fred2792

vCash: 500
Mtl team without NHL player next year?

With declaration Pierre Boivin as what there will be undoubtedly hockey the next season, what could resemble the habs without players of the NHL? I don't hope that hapen, but simply to see what the team could resemble...

Old
03-03-2005, 08:05 AM
mattihp

vCash: 639
Alot of QMJHL players combined with the best undrafted from Europe probably...

Old
03-03-2005, 09:53 AM
CGG

It would be ugly. Canadian players only, quite possibly no one from the AHL team, at least not at first. Bring back the Lebeau brothers and Paul DiPietro.

But the worst part is, they won't be playing in Montreal. Maybe Ontario, maybe upstate New York. But replacement workers are horribly illegal in the province of Quebec.

Old
03-03-2005, 10:19 AM
alexstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
It would be ugly. Canadian players only, quite possibly no one from the AHL team, at least not at first. Bring back the Lebeau brothers and Paul DiPietro.

But the worst part is, they won't be playing in Montreal. Maybe Ontario, maybe upstate New York. But replacement workers are horribly illegal in the province of Quebec.
I wouldn't bet on that.

NHL is not under Quebec jurisdiction as far as I know. Also, still as far as I know, NHLPA is not a Quebec registered labour union (syndicat).

example: Videotron is under federal jurisdiction, so some years ago, when their workers went on strike, they hired scabs.

I'm pretty sure that if it's legal anywhere else in Canada, it's legal in MTL as well as in Vancouver, because that's not provincial jurisdiction, but federal jurisdiction... but take it for what it's worth.

Old
03-03-2005, 10:22 AM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc2005
My thoughts as well. I doubt anyone in the AHL who has a chance at playing in the NHL would cross. It would probably be UHL caliber players and older players playing in Europe.

Old
03-03-2005, 12:19 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
My thoughts as well. I doubt anyone in the AHL who has a chance at playing in the NHL would cross. It would probably be UHL caliber players and older players playing in Europe.
I heard no long ago that 80% of the Edm farm would make the jusmp if Im not wrong..

Old
03-03-2005, 12:46 PM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream
I wouldn't bet on that.

NHL is not under Quebec jurisdiction as far as I know. Also, still as far as I know, NHLPA is not a Quebec registered labour union (syndicat).

example: Videotron is under federal jurisdiction, so some years ago, when their workers went on strike, they hired scabs.

I'm pretty sure that if it's legal anywhere else in Canada, it's legal in MTL as well as in Vancouver, because that's not provincial jurisdiction, but federal jurisdiction... but take it for what it's worth.
I'll be honest, I don't know. But what I do know is the Expos weren't going to be playing in Montreal when baseball tried to use replacements in 1995, they would have played their home games in Florida. There would be a bunch of legal hoops to jump through before they could even get this far though.

As for AHL players, maybe 80% of the Roadrunners said they'd cross, but only 4 out of 37 Bulldogs / St John's players said they would cross. I bet the number would be even lower once it was time to cross a picket line. Anyone who has a future in the league or even has an agent would be strongly advised to not cross the picket lines. Agents wouldn't represent them any more and they would be blackballed by everyone for the rest of their careers. It would not be pretty.

Old
03-03-2005, 04:53 PM
tchendoh

Send a message via ICQ to tchendoh Send a message via MSN to tchendoh Send a message via Yahoo to tchendoh
I've heard somewhere that in Quebec, the NHL players are not covered by the anti-scab law but I have absolutely nothing to back it up...

Old
03-03-2005, 05:37 PM
fred2792

I wonder how the owners will be able to plead their cause and to show that there is divergence of philosophy. That explains perhaps offer of Goodnow of a wage ceiling. As players of replacement, it would be paradoxical to see a great European number of player to come here when in the same time the players of the NHL finds themselves in Europe. For habs, Mark Streit could be interesting one to watch here.

Old
03-03-2005, 05:46 PM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Bring back Oleg Petrov!

Closed Thread