HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers Sign Sergei Bobrovsky

Old
05-07-2010, 02:50 AM
Kuzne4anin

vCash: 500
In Russia Bobrovskiy associated with beaver, but Bobo is also not bad sounds

Kuzne4anin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I wouldn't have a problem if management brought Biron back. It's not like the guy was trash when he was here. Let Reese work with him and see what he can do.
I'm all for giving Reese some credit as a solid goalie coach (far better than we are used to), but the praise he is getting is a bit absurd. Do you really think that Marty Biron, a long time veteran starting goaltender is going to change his playing style and get any better because of a coach at his age? It's one thing for Michael Leighton, a younger journeyman to make changes in playing style, because if he doesn't he's out of the league.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:16 AM
PhillyCurt12

as far as other options for starting goalies go... how do you guys feel about going after nabby? i know the sharks are running into some cap problems trying to resign all their firepower, and there's a chance the G will get the axe rather than some forwards.

also, it may be nice to have a russian-speaking goalie around to help acclimate bobrov to NA.

edit: i'm assuming hartnell's salary will be moved to allow for the signing

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:02 AM
Talbetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
as far as other options for starting goalies go... how do you guys feel about going after nabby? i know the sharks are running into some cap problems trying to resign all their firepower, and there's a chance the G will get the axe rather than some forwards.

also, it may be nice to have a russian-speaking goalie around to help acclimate bobrov to NA.

Others may be, but I'm not interested. Too much, choker (will prove it again this year), never been a fan. I'd rather go cheap again. If I was going to spend the money, I'd prefer a Vokoun or Kipper....

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:07 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuzne4anin View Post
In Russia Bobrovskiy associated with beaver, but Bobo is also not bad sounds
There we go, he can be called "Beaver."

"Beeeeeeeaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvv"

That's of course said like, "Booooooooooooooooooosshhhh"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I'm all for giving Reese some credit as a solid goalie coach (far better than we are used to), but the praise he is getting is a bit absurd. Do you really think that Marty Biron, a long time veteran starting goaltender is going to change his playing style and get any better because of a coach at his age? It's one thing for Michael Leighton, a younger journeyman to make changes in playing style, because if he doesn't he's out of the league.
I agree with this a good bit.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:32 AM
Jester

Quote:
We're talking minor tweaks here, not massive changes.

That being said, the real reason we need to maybe not give Reese that much credit is:

1) Our goaltending wasn't that bad the last couple of years guys... somehow this meme has developed that we were getting crappy goaltending/coaching at the position, it's just not true. Biron and Nitty were quite good the last couple of years.

2) Reese was the goalie coach for TB, where they were getting the WORST goaltending in the league under him after Khabi left. Why couldn't he get even average out of the Bolts if he's such a goalie coach genius?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:44 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
We're talking minor tweaks here, not massive changes.

That being said, the real reason we need to maybe not give Reese that much credit is:

1) Our goaltending wasn't that bad the last couple of years guys... somehow this meme has developed that we were getting crappy goaltending/coaching at the position, it's just not true. Biron and Nitty were quite good the last couple of years.

2) Reese was the goalie coach for TB, where they were getting the WORST goaltending in the league under him after Khabi left. Why couldn't he get even average out of the Bolts if he's such a goalie coach genius?
Lots of truth in both of these posts.

I do think Biron would be willing to make changes. Biron's a smart and a pretty affable guy; if Reese wanted him to make some changes right now I'm sure he would give it a shot because he's not exactly a hot commodity any more, either.

You're both bang on about Reese, though...the man has been good, and better than Lemelin by virtue of the fact that he's actually around constantly, but it's not like he's a miracle worker. Leighton got hot behind a very stingy defense, and Boosh has played like he always has - capable of stellar play and horrible duds alike. Bringing Biron back and letting Reese work with him won't magically turn him into Patrick Roy in his prime. It may help him a little, but it wouldn't be night and day (not that it would need to be...Marty Biron was a perfectly good starter for us, even though Philly will never appreciate him for it).

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
Garbage Goal

Marty Biron is criminally under-rated and under-appreciated by just about everyone for whatever reason.

Garbage Goal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I love the signing.

I like that Homer is making all these signings with the Flyers having almost no valuable draft picks over the next two years. most of these signings might never make it but hopefully a few do and turn into good players...that will help with the lack of draft they are going to have over the next couple of years.

FlyersGuy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:50 AM
kicksave27

Birons "technique" in shootouts with the Flyers was about as as bad as your going to see anywhere. There are kids in the youth hockey shootout during intermission with a better approach than that. Thats a serious lapse in goalie coaching. Why did they not attempt to work on his challenging and matching the shooters speed coming in? Shootouts are a totally separate part of a goalies game and can be ironed out. Shootouts you start out and work your way in. Normal game action is based on crease angle and working your way outward.

Reese might not be the 2nd coming of JF allaire, but he's light years better than lemelin. And i believe Neil Little is the minor league roving goalie instructor and scout.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:52 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Reese might not be the 2nd coming of JF allaire, but he's light years better than lemelin. And i believe Neil Little is the minor league roving goalie instructor and scout.
Correct, but I agree with Garbage Goal. Biron is criminally underrated at times.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Marty Biron is criminally under-rated and under-appreciated by just about everyone for whatever reason.
I agree. I was shocked when it came down to the trade deadline and people were talking about how ridiculous it would be to get Biron and they would rather have Dwayne Roloson. Biron is a solid goalie. He's not Patrick Roy or anything like that, but he is a good goalie. I'd rather have him in net than Boosh or Leighton. I was bummed they let him go, but I was excited about Emery. When he got hurt I was sorely missing Marty.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:06 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
how does an average goalie get underrated?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree. I was shocked when it came down to the trade deadline and people were talking about how ridiculous it would be to get Biron and they would rather have Dwayne Roloson. Biron is a solid goalie. He's not Patrick Roy or anything like that, but he is a good goalie. I'd rather have him in net than Boosh or Leighton. I was bummed they let him go, but I was excited about Emery. When he got hurt I was sorely missing Marty.
They didn't really let him go. His agent royal screwed him, which forced the Flyers to go a different direction.

There were reports he was asking for a long term 5mill/yr deal. That is just ridiculous.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post

I think it depends on how much it will cost to sign Nabby. I wouldn't want to pay him close to his current salary, but if he costs less because of the current market then sign me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
how does an average goalie get underrated?
There are a good portion of Flyers fans that act like he was total and complete garbage which isn't true.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimiFerrari View Post
They didn't really let him go. His agent royal screwed him, which forced the Flyers to go a different direction.

There were reports he was asking for a long term 5mill/yr deal. That is just ridiculous.
I can't blame Biron for thinking he was worth that much when Huet received $5.6M and Theodore received $4.5M the previous year. The problem is he completely misread the market. The previous year goalies were getting overpaid, but last year there was not much of a market at all.

I am not sure how much blame his agent deserves since he switched agents right before free agency and his demands didn't change.

Old
05-07-2010, 11:23 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think it depends on how much it will cost to sign Nabby. I wouldn't want to pay him close to his current salary, but if he costs less because of the current market then sign me up.

There are a good portion of Flyers fans that act like he was total and complete garbage which isn't true.
Biron wasnt nowhere near what you said i agree, he just wasnt good enough to get a team where it needs to go.

Nabby will cost way to much imo. A good gm can get turco for 2 years 5mm imo. Shooter will probably bid against himself and pay a little more. Turco i wuld assume wants to go to a team that has a shot to win. That narrows the field donw. Hawks i dont see having any interest, Caps maybe but doubtful. Leaves the fleyrs. Anyone else?

Old
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
jb**

Quote:
I can't blame Biron for thinking he was worth that much when Huet received $5.6M and Theodore received $4.5M the previous year. The problem is he completely misread the market. The previous year goalies were getting overpaid, but last year there was not much of a market at all.

I am not sure how much blame his agent deserves since he switched agents right before free agency and his demands didn't change.
The player deserves all the blame. The agent works for him.

Old
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Biron wasnt nowhere near what you said i agree, he just wasnt good enough to get a team where it needs to go.

Nabby will cost way to much imo. A good gm can get turco for 2 years 5mm imo. Shooter will probably bid against himself and pay a little more. Turco i wuld assume wants to go to a team that has a shot to win. That narrows the field donw. Hawks i dont see having any interest, Caps maybe but doubtful. Leaves the fleyrs. Anyone else?
Yeah, I agree. I thought he was adequate, just not good enough to win a Cup with.

Right now the teams that need a starter are Philly, St. Louis, Tampa, perhaps Washington, and San Jose if they fail to re-sign Nabokov. Nabby, Turco, C. Mason,and Ellis will be free agents and one of Halak/Price might be dealt. Then there are goalies like Biron/Nitty available. I don't think the Flyers will need to overpay in salary to sign one of these guys since there aren't many teams in need of a starter.

Personally I don't think Turco, Mason, and Ellis are good enough to win a cup with but I expect the Flyers to sign one of the three. If Carchidi is to be believed Ellis might be their guy. He says they like Price, Bernier, and Ellis the most. Bernier is unlikely to be dealt and I don't think they can afford Price which leaves Ellis.

Old
05-07-2010, 11:34 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:

Well I am not going to get into a debate about Agent vs Player responsibilities. But the Agent primary goal should be assessing the market and what he can get his player. Biron's primary goal should be focusing on hockey and playing his best to get him the best contract, which is why they higher agents to do the former.

If the agent tells him, "trust me we can hardball the Flyers to get you more money" then I find the burden falls on the agent. Since he was completely wrong in that assessment, then he should be at least be partially to blame. He was fired and Biron was left looking desperate to find even a backup role.

I remember vaguely a Holmgren qoute about how Biron's agent hadn't even talked to them over the past few weeks, which was right around the time he was going to hit the free market.

Old
05-07-2010, 11:35 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
There was a reason why Roloson played over Biron on one of the bad teams in the league.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Well I am not going to get into a debate about Agent vs Player responsibilities. But the Agent primary goal should be assessing the market and what he can get his player. Biron's primary goal should be focusing on hockey and playing his best to get him the best contract, which is why they higher agents to do the former.

If the agent tells him, "trust me we can hardball the Flyers to get you more money" then I find the burden falls on the agent. Since he was completely wrong in that assessment, then he should be at least be partially to blame. He was fired and Biron was left looking desperate to find even a backup role.

I remember vaguely a Holmgren qoute about how Biron's agent hadn't even talked to them over the past few weeks, which was right around the time he was going to hit the free market.
The thing is though, that Biron changed agents and his demands didnt change.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:37 AM
Jester

Pretty sure Biron ended up firing his agent, which tells you everything you need to know.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:38 AM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
The thing is though, that Biron changed agents and his demands didnt change.
At that point the Flyers had already decided to go another direction (Emery), and obviously in the end "Biron's" demands changed since he signed a one year 1.4mil contract.

Old
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

That was because he fired his agent. In Holmgren's pre-draft press conference he mentioned he hadn't talked with Biron because he fired his agent. This was about a week before free agency.