HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Boot hitting ice

Old
05-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

vCash: 500
Boot hitting ice

I've noticed as I've gotten better at skating, my right boot occasionally makes contact with the ice as I'm on my outside edge on a sharp turn. It hasn't been an issue, but will it be (losing an edge)? Should I tighten my skates? Not lean in so hard? Sharpen again? (just did 4-6 hours of skating time ago to 1/2" but find I like a slightly duller blade).

I can understand it being a non-issue as I can feel it when it happens and lift a bit. I've only been skating ice for a month and a half so I'm still trying to pick all of this up.

(note: acceleration is awesome, stopping without any thought is almost there and front/back transition flows with ease, backwards is satisfactory but could use work.)

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:28 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I've noticed as I've gotten better at skating, my right boot occasionally makes contact with the ice as I'm on my outside edge on a sharp turn. It hasn't been an issue, but will it be (losing an edge)? Should I tighten my skates? Not lean in so hard? Sharpen again? (just did 4-6 hours of skating time ago to 1/2" but find I like a slightly duller blade).

I can understand it being a non-issue as I can feel it when it happens and lift a bit. I've only been skating ice for a month and a half so I'm still trying to pick all of this up.

(note: acceleration is awesome, stopping without any thought is almost there and front/back transition flows with ease,
backwards is satisfactory but could use work.)
Can you sell me some magic beans too? I'm not going to address your supposed problems until you knock the b.s. off or call Ripley's and provide proof.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Can you sell me some magic beans too? I'm not going to address your supposed problems until you knock the b.s. off or call Ripley's and provide proof.
I would if I could. I played roller for high school and club and skating was by far my best ability. The concept of skating makes sense to me. I know what I want to do when, and the ability is catching up. I apologize if I am a quick-learner in your book. Can I stop on a dime? No. Can I skate hard and catch people considered fast if I move my feet? Just about.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:19 PM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:

(note: acceleration is awesome, stopping without any thought is almost there and front/back transition flows with ease, backwards is satisfactory but could use work.)
Don't you lose an edge before your boot hits? It seems like you would but maybe not. Is the holder on that skate mismounted maybe?

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:24 PM
Briere Up There*

How much blade remains on your skates? I've worn mine down pretty far and never had this problem.

clevelandcrusader82 is probably right, I think the holder is mismounted.

Briere Up There* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 11:29 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
I would if I could. I played roller for high school and club and skating was by far my best ability. The concept of skating makes sense to me. I know what I want to do when, and the ability is catching up. I apologize if I am a quick-learner in your book. Can I stop on a dime? No. Can I skate hard and catch people considered fast if I move my feet? Just about.
You said "I've only been skating", not, "I've only been ice skating". Obviously, if you were a very high level roller player, it could translate much quicker.

Most likely, it's a bad or dull edge. Whenever I run into this problem, it's a sign my skates haven't been sharpened in way too long. It could also possibly be a boot that is too soft for your weight (if you're a very big guy and it happens on both feet) or even bad ice. A mismounted holder could cause it, but it's unlikely you would only experience this problem as a result.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:47 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
You said "I've only been skating", not, "I've only been ice skating". Obviously, if you were a very high level roller player, it could translate much quicker.

Most likely, it's a bad or dull edge. Whenever I run into this problem, it's a sign my skates haven't been sharpened in way too long. It could also possibly be a boot that is too soft for your weight (if you're a very big guy and it happens on both feet) or even bad ice. A mismounted holder could cause it, but it's unlikely you would only experience this problem as a result.

I'm about 6'0" and 180 on Bauer Vapor 6's from '02. Ice in San Diego isn't awesome but like I said it's a very occasional problem.

Old
05-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Don't you lose an edge before your boot hits? It seems like you would but maybe not. Is the holder on that skate mismounted maybe?
I dont. An it's only happen in 2 out of my last 4 or so skates. I sharpened 3 skates ago.

Old
05-07-2010, 12:08 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

make sure you keep your ankles straight

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:27 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
Exactly. Don't roll them over too much. I have a habit of doing this when my edges get really dull. I use about a 3/4ths and it dulls pretty fast on the thin ice I play on.

Old
05-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Exactly. Don't roll them over too much. I have a habit of doing this when my edges get really dull. I use about a 3/4ths and it dulls pretty fast on the thin ice I play on.
Would a different size sharpening fix this problem?

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:27 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksgo View Post
Would a different size sharpening fix this problem?
it might help keep the edge but if you keep your ankle straight the boot wont hit the ice

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
macgyverthatshiz

I'm trying to figure out how you can lean that far over without losing an edge. Seems like that would happen before you hit your boot on the ice

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:53 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
i always wondered.. why do u have the visor is for lovers if u never played on tvc? or maybe u did and i dont know you? ive always been wondering

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:38 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
it might help keep the edge but if you keep your ankle straight the boot wont hit the ice
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
I'm trying to figure out how you can lean that far over without losing an edge. Seems like that would happen before you hit your boot on the ice
I think this is what it is. I'll have to make sure to not just let my ankle give when I get lazy towards the end of pickup.

Old
05-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

Some people do strange things with their skates, I too hit the ice with the edge of my boot turning tightly. It happens only when my steel gets ground off enough to do so and I do not lose my edge and wipe out like Cam Neely used to a lot in turns, never figured out why he did that but whatever.

I have skate blade cuts on my right skate toe cap from my left, not sure when they get there as I have never noticed but apparently I step on my right toe cap once in a while.

Freaking stuff i tellz ya.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 09:54 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Just to clarify, the combination of balance, speed and ankle strength needed to lean far enough over to touch your boot to the ice without falling. . . under normal situations it's something a high level college player could pull off but not a novice ice skater. I think that's why he thought you were pulling his leg.

Take a look at your skates, make sure your blades aren't moving around in their holder. Could be that you've got a nut that needs tightening and also look for cracks on the holder. I've taken a few pucks off the skate that broke the holder but finished the game without noticing. Definitely avoid rolling your ankle that much -- you're just asking for a sprain if you keep skating that way. I don't know how high your boot is cut (the lower the cut, the more your ankle can bend) but think about tightening the laces so you're not tempted to bend your ankle so much.

Just wondering -- is your left ankle stronger than your right? You said it only happens on your right.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 11:19 AM
macgyverthatshiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
i always wondered.. why do u have the visor is for lovers if u never played on tvc? or maybe u did and i dont know you? ive always been wondering
This may sound dumb, but what is TVC? Just curious

macgyverthatshiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyverthatshiz View Post
This may sound dumb, but what is TVC? Just curious
it is a nhl 10 eashl team that some posters on this board play on

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Timmer44

vCash: 400
Quote:

When I switched from Bauer to Graf's (Wide) I began to have the boot hitting the ice problem as well. My guess is you're used to the higher rollerblade chassis and will just take some time to get used to the different height.

My advice is to bend your knees a little more as you turn. It will allow your feet to spread out a little more so you don't have to lean into the turn so much.

Timmer44 is offline   Reply With Quote