HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

We need to discuss something - all referee discussion here

Old
05-07-2010, 08:56 AM
Kebekoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73 View Post

I saw the ref on the left break out a folding chair on Mike Fisher in game 6 versus the Sens last round. Seriously, we got no chance.
Haha, it have to do with the non-call on the clotheline on A.Kost.

Heel refs

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:03 AM
BJG

Kebekoi, about your Avatar: I recognized the Nords and the Jets, obviously, and I assume the bottom left would be for a Hamilton Ti-Cats team, but what is the bottom right insignia? Saskatchewan? A second team in TO?

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Kebekoi, about your Avatar: I recognized the Nords and the Jets, obviously, and I assume the bottom left would be for a Hamilton Ti-Cats team, but what is the bottom right insignia? Saskatchewan? A second team in TO?
A second team in Toronto: http://www.torontolegacy.com/

PS: I couldn't find a new Nords logo that could fit the bill. (Not that Coke bear from WHA2)

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Bad games by the refs last night for sure. Sometimes it goes against you, sometimes it doesn't. Game 7 against the Caps is a good example of us getting the breaks, it goes both ways. Good teams overcome the refs and exploit the bad calls when they go their way.

Just don't use it as an excuse when we lose.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:30 AM
CarrePrisme

I don't think there's a conspiracy against the Habs.

That said, the reffing is still pretty bad.

I understand refs have a tough job, but it would help if they would REVIEW their calls or WITHDRAW or ADD to them.

They always always always stick to their initial decision. All the complaining in the world by players or the coaches doesn't change a thing. The call remains and the game can be entirely changed due to a bad decision.

Or they should give each time the right to appeal three calls per game. Perhaps the game would last a bit longer but you would avoid a lot of BS and we wouldn't have all to deal with frustrating calls and whining players.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:46 AM
HabsFanInTO
HabsFanInBC For now

Haha

Straight from wikipedia!

"Devorski is a bad Referee ! He is one of the blinded Referee in NHL"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Devorski

and

"Ye pourri et aveugle !"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Furlatt

HabsFanInTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:17 AM
sheed36

The refs were terrible last night and in the Pens favor the whole night.. Honestly it just seemed like a typical Chris f***ing Lee reffed game for the Habs to me.. Speaking of Chris f***ing Lee do you think the NHL will punish the Habs again and have that weasel ref another game in this series? Lets face it when Chris f***ing Lee refs a Habs game it is a guaranteed win for the opposition..

I really hope Habs management filed a formal protest with the NHL over that mockery last night.. The bias was so blatant to everyone (except Pens fans) it wasn't even funny....

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:28 AM
BLONG7

Even the Leaf fans know the reffing was brutal last night...I wonder how we would be doing with Markov and Spacek in the lineup....I wonder how the Pens would be without Gonchar and Letang out???

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roots73 View Post

I saw the ref on the left break out a folding chair on Mike Fisher in game 6 versus the Sens last round. Seriously, we got no chance.
hahaha, nice one!

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Medsas

Quote:
Originally Posted by citylife View Post
If not, then one deserves to be made to exist for all of time on Youtube to prove to the world the sketchiness of NHL reffing

Here is a nice list to start with... starting from the Suban trip 3 1/2 minutes in....

1st Period:

16:37 Subban tripped no call

14:54 Crosby trips Hamrlik no call

14:42 Puck kicked in, best replay is the one after they go upstairs (RDS) shows clear kicking motion

5:42 Kostitsyn mauled no call

2nd period:

13:38 Malkin trips Kostitsyn no call

8:37 Orpik jumps into Plekanec no call

5:48 Subban tripped no call

3rd period:

18:45 Crosby slashing no call

15:33 Gionta crossed checked by Orpik no call

14:45 Questionable boarding call on Gionta

13:34 Moore cross checked by Gonchar no call

11:38 Gomez held by Leopold no call

11:11 ******** call on Darche tripping

2:31 Obstruction on Moen by Goligoski no call
can you list also the missed penalties on the other side? just listing missed calls for the Habs is not enough if you want to convince someone. All I remember is the Crosby and Malkin breakaways lol

Medsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:44 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Sports Illustrated:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...e.4/index.html

Quote:
Maybe it was the curious officiating. (To the 21,273 drama critics at the Bell Centre, the handiwork of Paul Devorski and Eric Furlatt made it appear that the Canadiens were playing five-on-seven.)

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:52 AM
Kriss E

As bad as the Refs were...nothing will ever top the Sabres getting eliminated on what should have been a clear disallowed goal.

There's no conspiracy. The officiating in the NHL is simply poor. The league has to stop defending the refs and realize they're doing an overall bad job.
It's not just for us, and it isn't new. Refereeing in hockey is mediocre at best.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
FF de Mars

I agree that the officiating was very bad, but I think it might have to do with the fact that Habs players and Martin have been doing their share of complaining since the playoffs started. (Maybe they go too far since they are not pros at complaining like Crosby and the Pens...) Maybe the refs wanted to get a revenge or something; they let their emotions get in the way... big time... What a momentum shift for us. Everybody in the locker knows we've been screwed over, yet we won... It's like in the Football movie when the racist refs throw their flags all over the place but still the good guys win.

PS I don't know how the Pens can be looked at like the good guys in the nhl. They are arrogant, they are like the good but evil team in Mighty Ducks 1.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Gros Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Bad games by the refs last night for sure. Sometimes it goes against you, sometimes it doesn't. Game 7 against the Caps is a good example of us getting the breaks, it goes both ways. Good teams overcome the refs and exploit the bad calls when they go their way.

Good post, I especially agree with the bolded part. The refereeing in the play-offs has been like this since I started watching hockey. C'est la vie.

Gros Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Newhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
As bad as the Refs were...nothing will ever top the Sabres getting eliminated on what should have been a clear disallowed goal.

There's no conspiracy. The officiating in the NHL is simply poor. The league has to stop defending the refs and realize they're doing an overall bad job.
It's not just for us, and it isn't new. Refereeing in hockey is mediocre at best.
I could challenge this with the time when the Flyers eliminated the Caps on a goal where Huet was clearly pushed out of the net....

But you're right. The NHL is the worst officiated professional sports league (and that includes european soccer, even after the France/Ireland incident). They are close to Wrestling in that the referee is part of the game, he is supposed to "manage" the game instead of simply enforce the rules.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:31 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
I could challenge this with the time when the Flyers eliminated the Caps on a goal where Huet was clearly pushed out of the net....

But you're right. The NHL is the worst officiated professional sports league (and that includes european soccer, even after the France/Ireland incident). They are close to Wrestling in that the referee is part of the game, he is supposed to "manage" the game instead of simply enforce the rules.
Ya, but the Sabres were in the Stanley Cup finals. So like I said, not really comparable.
And unlike the Flyers goal, there was no room for debate. It was a clear-cut no goal.
Huet though, was outside his crease. So, even if it's a penalty, they will always come back with that excuse.

Old
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post

The NHL is also the hardest to officiate (pace is faster than all the other major sports) so we should give some slack.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Pfloyd77

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
That's one call.
What about the 10 others....

Are you defending them or just saying that this particular event was not part of their training.

Because Basically, Subban was tripped and it was blatant...

If Subban would have falled back, I could understand but he fell going forward.
It was clear something was holding him and physical properties of the ice does not fit the profile.

22000 fans saw it and the poor referees missed it.
Well fire them
I'm just defending this particular call...the refs did a horrible job on the whole...but there is a reason why cherry never showed that play in coaches corner, which is mainly because it wasn't due to bad reffing that the subban trip was missed

As a ref you can't call a penalty because there is always the possibility that subban dove to try draw a penalty because of the dangerous situation that was building up against the habs...and again fedotenkos body was blocking all the angles except one and one of the refs would have to see it on that one angle to be able to call it as a trip

and 22000 fans didn't "see it" they were just booing because subban got knocked down just like they boo at all the events that they think could possibly lead to a penalty...even if subban tripped over his own two feet you'd still have those fans booing...would they have seen it then?

I know that the refs did a ****** job last night but nobody should be grouping the subban call with the rest of them, because that particular call was not due to bad reffing

Pfloyd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 12:51 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
The NHL is also the hardest to officiate (pace is faster than all the other major sports) so we should give some slack.
Not after last night. I saw a couple of pictures of infractions where the officials are looking right at the infraction. What about with two minutes left in the game, Moen going for a 2-1 chance, only to be HELD by googleoski?

I am tired of people saying that it's a fast paced game, sure miss one call or two that's life, but NINE? No way these two are qualified to officiate a game of hockey, maybe make them officiate some peewee hockey till they figure out what holding, boarding(HOLY **** ORPIK JUMPED AT PLECS, NO CALL) slashing(so when Gill breaks Crosby stick, but when they are on the PP and break I think Moens? stick, no penalty right, such a hard penalty to call)

These imbeciles will never get any sympathy from me.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Last night's officiating and Game 7 against the Caps are not even comparable, not even close. It's 10 blatant "breaks" for Pens versus one "mini-break" for Habs. (That disallowed goal in Game 7 against Caps might not have been called 100% of the time but it was the right call if going by the book.)

Reality is that bad officiating does affect a game; you cannot dispute that. Sure, a good team (or lucky team) MIGHT overcome bad officiating (I'm talking about blatantly one-sided officiating) but a team isn't supposed to have to deal with that in the first place.

Besides, winning and losing are irrelevant in this discussion. Even if the Habs had won 7-2 last night, I would have still thought the officiating was terribly biased.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:12 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd77 View Post
I'm just defending this particular call...the refs did a horrible job on the whole...but there is a reason why cherry never showed that play in coaches corner, which is mainly because it wasn't due to bad reffing that the subban trip was missed

As a ref you can't call a penalty because there is always the possibility that subban dove to try draw a penalty because of the dangerous situation that was building up against the habs...and again fedotenkos body was blocking all the angles except one and one of the refs would have to see it on that one angle to be able to call it as a trip

and 22000 fans didn't "see it" they were just booing because subban got knocked down just like they boo at all the events that they think could possibly lead to a penalty...even if subban tripped over his own two feet you'd still have those fans booing...would they have seen it then?

I know that the refs did a ****** job last night but nobody should be grouping the subban call with the rest of them, because that particular call was not due to bad reffing
So you're allowed to trip someone with your arm, but not with your stick ? Makes sense

Old
05-07-2010, 02:16 PM
Ross MacLochness

I still want to puke thinking about the clothesline on Kostitsyn that didn't get called.

Imagine, just IMAGINE for one second that was Gill on Crosby. LOOOOL. Gill would've been in the box before Crosby even hit the ice. No question about it.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:47 PM
habman6

Has it been posted?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmkm0...layer_embedded

habman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:03 PM
FF de Mars

Quote:
Originally Posted by habman6 View Post
3 of them were on Andrei.

Old
05-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfloyd77 View Post
There's also an even more important reason why there's two refs on the ice.

Sure the one that was in the Pittsburgh zone couldn't see if Fedotenko indeed gripped Subban's skates because he had the back view. But there's no excuse for the other ref not to have seen it. He was right there and had perfect view.
You know what, I might even agree that Subban embellished the trip there. But at least call them both to a penalty. Don't let a player get a Breakaway off a miscued dive where a trip (voluntarily or not) happened.

And you know what, when a player tries to crossover your zone as he's attacking but accidentally trips over your stick, you still get a penalty. A player can do the mistake of tripping over your stick by himself and you'll still get a penalty.

So right now, Fedo messes up his dive, bumps into PK, gets away with it and it leads to a breakaway goal.

There's no doubt that he put his arms around Subban's skate, so it's a penalty. Now if you want to argue the refs couldn't see it. Sure, it might be true but only for one of them, the other had a clear view.