HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Post Your Slapshot Video - Improve your shot

Old
05-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Ollie Queen
After 5 years...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I agree with most of this, power comes from arms, legs, shoulders,core and stick. So take a shot, then ask yourself "Am I using my shoulders enough?" take another shot and ask if you are getting enough power from your legs (push off with your back leg to help transfer energy) Do this for each power source to ensure you are getting power from each source.

Number two is the only one I would have to disagree with. You are still going to want to hit the ground an inch or two behind the puck, this is the only way you will load the stick, which is half of what the slapshot is all about. I started hitting the ground a few inches behind, now I hit it about 10 inches behind because if I don't the stick will not be fully loaded.

Number one piece of advice, keep on shooting!
That's not a bad thing, but the whippier you go with sticks the more that will cause to break. Not necessarily a warning to you (you mentioned the flexes your using earlier) but to the people reading in general. If you're using a lower flex and hitting the ice too far back you will eventually snap a stick.

Ollie Queen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 01:50 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I agree with most of this, power comes from arms, legs, shoulders,core and stick. So take a shot, then ask yourself "Am I using my shoulders enough?" take another shot and ask if you are getting enough power from your legs (push off with your back leg to help transfer energy) Do this for each power source to ensure you are getting power from each source.

Number two is the only one I would have to disagree with. You are still going to want to hit the ground an inch or two behind the puck, this is the only way you will load the stick, which is half of what the slapshot is all about. I started hitting the ground a few inches behind, now I hit it about 10 inches behind because if I don't the stick will not be fully loaded.

Number one piece of advice, keep on shooting!
We'll agree to disagree there because it is a fact that beginners should not be worrying about stick flexing in their shot until after they have their mechanics sorted out.

Mechanics is the priority always.

yes without a doubt stick flex is where some power comes from but teaching that to someone who cannot shoot to begin with in my opinion is completely useless until they resemble someone who can shoot to actually utilize that.

hey maybe I'm wrong, I'm no expert and certainly am not a coach. Feel free someone to correct me on this if you are a coach or something and work with beginners seriously either with hockey clinics or otherwise.

I am not too old to learn new tricks .... some dogs can listen

POST EDIT: Yeah an inch or two behind is definitely good there. I agree with that for sure by the way.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-06-2010 at 03:49 AM.
Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Hockeyfan68

Well damn man I had a hard time getting these two videos done.

The first things to keep in mind before watching these are that I had to choke up on my handle end because I use a long stick to begin with. I shortened it to what I think it comes to with skates on.

I absolutely did NOT like the particle board plank I am shooting off and it actually got black rings from the edges of the pucks catching it while being launched and making misfires. That being said I managed some decent shots and edited out most of the misfires.

I do not like shooting at a standstill as I am not really used to doing that, I am pretty certain most people shoot harder shooting in stride. To help out I wore baseball cleats in the videos.

Video two has me shooting 3 over the net which was pretty funny because one hit a tree about 200 feet away in the neighbors yard, thankfully he wasn't mowing his lawn or something.

Just about 3/4 into video two I tore a good piece of skin off my pointer finger on my lower hand which did not help things at all. I went in the house and taped it up and tried to shoot more video but it wasn't cooperating and in the process tore skin off my palm as well and called it a day.

The first two videos I shot that I did not use here were of me using an aluminum shaft with a wood blade also a cheap CCM woodie with an ABS blade and the shots were not very impressive so I canned the video and it made me appreciate a good composite even more than before.

The final factor in limiting the amount of video besides the loss of flesh lol is that I did not like seeing how much wear I was getting after just a few slapshots on the blade bottoms of my sticks I use in games.

The bottom line I am going to get a better shooting pad that I can lube up or wax or something that will not kill my blades.

But anyway here are my two videos, one from behind and one off to the side from behind. I wanted to get video straight on as well as front on but the skin peeling cut my day short. After that crap heals I will make a couple more videos and submit them but for now here are my two.

I am using a Harrow 300 series 100 flex shaft with a Harrow #5 which is the Iginla equivalent but has the wrong lie for me, it is a 5 and I use a 5.5 to a 6. I made it work anyway with an adjustment in shooting as to not toe the shots.

Also in the first video the hanging bottle are 2 liter bottles that filled up with rain water and make a nice thud and splash when you hit them.

In the second video I am using my second Harrow 300 series 100 flex shaft with a Harrow #7 Getzlaf pattern which is a 5.5 lie.

Make note that the shooting pad on a couple of these grabbed the puck and took some oomph off the shot, maybe on 2 shots. This was extremely irritating to be honest, I have to get a better shooting pad and saw a couple in this thread I really liked and will try to get soon.

Anyhewdles ....

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-06-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old
05-06-2010, 02:36 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post

Also in the first video the hanging bottle are 2 liter bottles that filled up with rain water and make a nice thud and splash when you hit them.
Did you need bottles filled with water just in case the pucks caught fire?

Nice shots

Your video reminded me of something that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Your quick transition from backswing to downswing.

This is another way to get power (just a bit more) If you extend the muscles and then quickly contract them they will contract faster, and add more power to the shot (similar to pulling an elastic band quickly, then letting go) If your muscles are not trained to do this though it increases chances of injury.

Thanks for getting those up here, now we just need to get you a radar gun so we can compete

Every day I go out and shoot I am hitting new top speeds! and adding more blisters to my hands, even with gloves on (and tape to cover up the existing blisters)

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Did you need bottles filled with water just in case the pucks caught fire?

Nice shots

Your video reminded me of something that I don't think has been mentioned yet. Your quick transition from backswing to downswing.

This is another way to get power (just a bit more) If you extend the muscles and then quickly contract them they will contract faster, and add more power to the shot (similar to pulling an elastic band quickly, then letting go) If your muscles are not trained to do this though it increases chances of injury.

Thanks for getting those up here, now we just need to get you a radar gun so we can compete

Every day I go out and shoot I am hitting new top speeds! and adding more blisters to my hands, even with gloves on (and tape to cover up the existing blisters)
I am looking forward to the second series of videos from people after they work on their shooting. I am going to do that too because I saw a couple of things I didn't like in mine mainly with the shooting pad but a couple of my shots I was off balance a bit from trying to kill the puck. I need to relax and have more time in between shots I think.

The bottles are tied up with shoelace and hang from the twine. The bottle caps break in the freezing cold from being hit and consequently the bottles fill up with rain water ... except for the two my brother shot with a pellet rifle last summer.

My older brother is 10 years older than me and when we used to go out to the rinks he would hang the bottles for targets and he kept preaching for me to look where I was shooting and I attribute that to why I do not miss the net very much.

I had never heard about the muscle thing you speak of, interesting. I think I get what you are talking about, I do not think I should do that though with my bicep at only 75% from that stupid partial tendon tear last summer. My lower hand bicep is smaller than the right one since it tore away a bit, the forearm got bigger though from taking up the slack.

Injuries suck, I really feel like I shot a lot harder 10 years ago ... now at 42 (in July) I do not feel that same zip. I feel some zip I mean but it feels differently than it used to. My legs are not what they used to be either and recovery time is longer as well.

Getting old is getting old ... my playoff beard is mostly gray though which pisses me off.

I would love to take up your radar gun advice and go back 10 years with it. The only thing I saw years ago was the Bobby Hull Power Puck which was a spring loaded needle dial that torqued whatever your shot was and supposedly worked well and was accurate. I never used one though.

I do know I do not break plexi-glas like I used to, now maybe one a year instead of 5 to 7 of them a year a few years ago. maybe I am hitting the net more now ha!

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 05-06-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old
05-06-2010, 03:56 AM
MJAYK

Now we have seen some Veteran spectrum slapshots on this thread. Really nice shots. Shows you are taking them with ease because of the technique you have developed over the years. Im pretty sure we can declare you the winner speedwise. We have to remember that some of the guys here still have alot to improve, unlike you that have your shot pretty much as hard as it can be.

I'm waiting for my practice range to get done, so i can start shooting. Maybe if Beavboyz makes a thread of showing your snapshots / wristshots i might contribute!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:59 AM
Semper Sens

Thanks for putting up your videos HF68, that was good to see how a non-pro can still have a great slapshot.

Semper Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Great vids HF.

Tagging on to that backswing comment, I noticed you step forward while you backswing, which is another reason you're getting power. It's the coil energy of the core combined with the forward momentum of the weight transfer.

That's something I'm really going to try and key in on next time I shoot. That big slapshot thread and me analyzing the Lidstrom link was really helpful in realizing that, but I need to quicken that backswing and figure out how to get the stick to do more of the work for me.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Did you guys do anything to the pad to get the regular black pucks to slide well? I have some basic black pucks that don't slide one bit, I have to use flypucks( not shooting those though ).

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
Did you guys do anything to the pad to get the regular black pucks to slide well? I have some basic black pucks that don't slide one bit, I have to use flypucks( not shooting those though ).
I need some non-marking pucks with some spray wax ... they glide very well on the carpets in the house. My shooiting pad sucks monkey butts.

Some guys in here posted what they use for glide but I forgets now what they said. i wish the search feature here worked better for this sort of thing.

I have some counter top polish that owns and will probably work well. i need a sheet like the ones posted in here, some folk have some nice setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Now we have seen some Veteran spectrum slapshots on this thread. Really nice shots. Shows you are taking them with ease because of the technique you have developed over the years. Im pretty sure we can declare you the winner speedwise. We have to remember that some of the guys here still have alot to improve, unlike you that have your shot pretty much as hard as it can be.

I'm waiting for my practice range to get done, so i can start shooting. Maybe if Beavboyz makes a thread of showing your snapshots / wristshots i might contribute!
I didn't like my loss of balance on a couple from overtorqueing ... I always shoot in stride and the standing still thing was more difficult to do.

I need a good pad and rollerblades I think.

Yeah a veteran shot .... after 35 years you get good at something even by accident I think after that amount of time. I play guitar well too and am not a natural at it, I just have the time in as they say.

Lots in here are still 'kids' around 18 years old and in another 10 years will shoot like the dickens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc View Post
Thanks for putting up your videos HF68, that was good to see how a non-pro can still have a great slapshot.
Thanks, I do slapshots well but if we had a backhander competition or a wristshot one I would show okay but would get beaten i think by some in here that are really good players.

I do okay I mean but my other shots do not stand out like my slapshots do.

I am actually working on my other shots in the yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Great vids HF.

Tagging on to that backswing comment, I noticed you step forward while you backswing, which is another reason you're getting power. It's the coil energy of the core combined with the forward momentum of the weight transfer.

That's something I'm really going to try and key in on next time I shoot. That big slapshot thread and me analyzing the Lidstrom link was really helpful in realizing that, but I need to quicken that backswing and figure out how to get the stick to do more of the work for me.
Yeah I step forward out of habit of skatin g into the shot ... shooting at a standstill is almost never done really, I do in warmups but that is to warm the goalie up and I am not trying to score or shoot my hardest. The point of warming up the goalie is to hit him with it so he gets a feel for the puck before the game.

The flex of hitting beforehand is so important for power as beavboyz had stated ... unfortunately the few shots I took for the videos took quite a bit off the bottom of my blades on two sticks. I do not think I will be making anymore slapshot vids using the good composites.

I will make a couple from straight on using the wood sticks and blades to see how I do with my mechanics. I've never really video taped my mechanics to analyze them.

This is one interesting thread ... I am going to video analyze my wristshots the most to improve them.

Old
05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Ducksgo*
#EtemUp

Send a message via AIM to Ducksgo*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Well damn man I had a hard time getting these two videos done.

How you able to stick handle on that small piece of plywood lmao!

Ducksgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:16 PM
Hrad

Ok well here is my stuff:

First shot was a wrist shot by the way. I'm shooting from about 36 feet out. That's about 11 meters.

I only got a few shots on camera, because it was getting dark.

That last wrist shot was...yeah :S

And for those of you interested:

Birth Year: 1994 (15/16)
Height: 5"11-ish
Weight: 175-ish (Muscle weighs more than fat!)

I'll try to not get too offended by the comments

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
Ok well here is my stuff:

First shot was a wrist shot by the way. I'm shooting from about 36 feet out. That's about 11 meters.

I only got a few shots on camera, because it was getting dark.

That last wrist shot was...yeah :S

And for those of you interested:

Birth Year: 1994 (15/16)
Height: 5"11-ish
Weight: 175-ish (Muscle weighs more than fat!)

I'll try to not get too offended by the comments
That looked ok to me

It seemed like you had some good shot motion there, the wristshot looked pretty good too I thought.

The big thing I think is to have good leg drive with a good shooting motion. I think you could have a decent slapper soon.

Old
05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Gino 14

Kinda funny to look through this thread and you can't help but notice how few real slapshots people show. Shooting on skates on ice is a slpashot, not on asphalt in shoes. No comparison.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Kinda funny to look through this thread and you can't help but notice how few real slapshots people show. Shooting on skates on ice is a slpashot, not on asphalt in shoes. No comparison.
That's because not everybody has 24/7 access to real ice like you

And yes there is some comparison. In my opinion, practicing off a shooting pad is better than nothing...Sidney Crosby shot all the time in his basement (No ice, mind you) and looks like he turned out to be an ok hockey player...

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:23 PM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrad View Post
That's because not everybody has 24/7 access to real ice like you

And yes there is some comparison. In my opinion, practicing off a shooting pad is better than nothing...Sidney Crosby shot all the time in his basement (No ice, mind you) and looks like he turned out to be an ok hockey player...
My guess would be that Sid spent some time on real ice practicing his craft. Just a hunch.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 04:26 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
I definitely shoot better on ice and harder shooting in stride I posted above that nobody shoots at a standstill in a game. You are right it is no comparison but alas tizz all we have this time of year.

I absolutely did not enjoy shooting off of baseball cleats and a grippy particle board 'shooting pad'. Some shots knickled from grabbing the wood.

I think I have a sheet of plexi-glas down in the basement that may work.

In any case shooting on ice is the only way to measure speeds with a gun in my opinion. I bet anyone in this thread who used a gun would add 10mph to their shots skating into them or even higher than that. I know my shots on ice are harder than what was shown in my two videos.

hey we make due with what we have on hand.

Old
05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
My guess would be that Sid spent some time on real ice practicing his craft. Just a hunch.
Yeah but on a shooting pad of some kind is better than nothing. It still builds up the muscles and creates muscle memory.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 05:41 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJAYK View Post
Im pretty sure we can declare you the winner speedwise. We have to remember that some of the guys here still have alot to improve, unlike you that have your shot pretty much as hard as it can be.

Hey now, no declaring winners until after the challenge is over I'm hitting 70MPH without workouts, I think by the end of the summer I will have a pretty bad ass slapshot

I will be sure to add threads for snapshots and wristshots during the season

Old
05-07-2010, 05:53 PM
MJAYK

Quote:
Hey now, no declaring winners until after the challenge is over I'm hitting 70MPH without workouts, I think by the end of the summer I will have a pretty bad ass slapshot

I will be sure to add threads for snapshots and wristshots during the season
It was the unofficial early-season pre-playoff rocket peverley trophy!

MJAYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Skraut

it's in HD if you click through to YouTube

I'd say be gentle I've only been playing hockey for 5 months, and have only been shooting slapshots for the past 2 weeks as part of this challenge. But I want to learn and get better, so let me know anything you see that I'm doing wrong.

I see quite a few things, but I'm always super picky on myself.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:51 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post

it's in HD if you click through to YouTube

I'd say be gentle I've only been playing hockey for 5 months, and have only been shooting slapshots for the past 2 weeks as part of this challenge. But I want to learn and get better, so let me know anything you see that I'm doing wrong.
I see quite a few things, but I'm always super picky on myself.
Haha the placement of the camera!

You have a very good shot for just starting, holy crap. get your legs involved and really drive into it and you should be excellent. Nice work here.

Old
05-08-2010, 02:30 AM
HowToHockey

Hey guys, it is great to see all of the videos being posted! It seems there are a few common areas where improvement is needed so I will put a video and article together to cover the most common areas where players are missing out on power.

From a lot of the youtube responses I can also see a few errors in form that are fairly easy to fix, so I will put something together for that as well.

Keep on getting those videos up. Oh I will also add my new and improved slapshot, after a few weeks of hammer time I have gone from a paltry 55MPH to a respectable 65 - 70 MPH

15MPH improvement or 24 Kilometers per hour faster (for us Canadians). That's enough to get a speeding ticket

Old
05-08-2010, 08:49 AM
rinkrat22

skraut.

pretty good for only a couple of weeks. one thing I see is that top hand and arm are kinda close to your body. when you start your back swing try pushing that hand away from you. get that arm a little straighter. more of a pendulum (sp?) motion. its a little hard to see, from the camera angle, and how fast his hands move but in HF68's first video you can see how he gets seperation with his front hand from his waist. when you watch your shot your top hand is kinda stuck to your waist. that will help you get a little more leverage on the stick. keep working though you are doing a good job.also it will help you keep your stick on plane.

Also boys I jammed my wrist last week playing on a diving poke check as soon as I can hold a stick,I will get some video up so you *****es can make fun of me.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 09:51 AM
danyhabsfan

Wrist shot:60 MPH

Slap shot : not tested

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote