HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Boy

Old
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
FlyersCup08

vCash: 500
Danny Boy

Many people complain that Briere is overpaid and underproductive. But we also say that playoffs are the most important thing, and hate players that don't show up in them (e.g. Jeff Carter).

As Briere once again is showing, he steps up his game in the playoffs. Not only is he scoring goals, but he's scoring big goals. He's tied for the team lead in goals and 2nd in points. Isn't this what we want out of him? Did we expect more when we signed him?

Granted, he cannot play center for his life because of his atrocious defense, but we knew we weren't bringing in a Selke candidate when we gave him $6.5M/year.

So the question is, assuming Briere (9pts/7games) keeps up his production, do you regret the signing/would you move him given the chance this offseason?

I say no, he continually steps up in big games and is one of the most clutch players we have. Other players that are expected to have those numbers are being paid same/more than he is (Ovechkin 10pts/7games $9M, Heatley 9pts/8games $7.5M, Kane 9pts/8games $6M, etc.).

I know I'll get ripped for this by people saying he only put up 26goals/53pts in the regular season, but my contention remains that playoffs are what matter.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 03:35 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Yes, I move him to the first team that says they'll take him. He is so weak, small, and bad defensively and takes up too much cap for what he brings to the table.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
kammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Yes, I move him to the first team that says they'll take him. He is so weak, small, and bad defensively and takes up too much cap for what he brings to the table.

I agree. I would also move Hartnell(just horrible) and Gagne(1 injury away from retirement) ... trade them for picks or pucks, who cares... just clear out that massive cap space.

go after a legit startign goalie!

go after free agents like Marleau, Modin, Torres, Frolov, Stempniak, Holmstrom, Kovalchuk, Prospal, Malhotra, Morrison, Lombardi, Volchenkov, Seidenberg, Hamhuis, Colaiacovo, Paul Martin etc

kammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:08 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Originally Posted by kammy View Post
I agree. I would also move Hartnell and Gagne ... trade them for picks or pucks, who cares... just clear out that massive cap space.

go after a legit startign goalie!

go after free agents like Marleau, Modin, Torres, Frolov, Stempniak, Holmstrom, Kovalchuk, Prospal, Malhotra, Morrison, Lombardi, Volchenkov, Seidenberg, Hamhuis, Colaiacovo, Paul Martin etc
I'd move Hartnell, not Gagne. I bet Gagne will be willing to re-sign here and take on a more limited role. I wouldn't spend the money in FA on nearly any of those guys except Martin, Seidenberg, Stempniak, or Malhotra. All the others are too old(Modin, Holmstrom, Prospal, Morrison), out of our price range(Marleau, Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Hamhuis, Martin), or just not what we need IMO.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Bort Sampson

If Briere's cap hit was 4 million I doubt there'd be many complaints about him. The Flyers had a bad season, and Briere had a lot of setbacks.

However, it's the length that's going to be a killer for the Flyers.

I don't agree with trading Hartnell and Briere. The worst thing this team has experienced over the past two seasons has been excessive turnover. If you look at the top-9 forwards from the 2008 playoff run, as well as all of the defensemen besides Kimmo, Coburn, and Parent, you'll understand exactly what this means. There are few line combinations for the Flyers that work as a result of so many roster changes.

It'd be in the Flyers' best interest to dump off Hartnell. He brings some stuff to the table, but he's not worth half of what he makes at this point. He can already be replaced within the top-6. The cap saved from his departure can buy an actual 4th defenseman to fill in when Coburn and Carle are playing poorly (or if one leaves by way of trade or FA).

The Flyers' offense currently sucks and is ridiculously top-heavy with little to no depth. Briere can be an offensive catalyst as well as a depth winger. His departure would just suck, especially come playoff time, when he (for some reason) plays exceptionally well under pressure.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Haute Couturier

In my opinion Briere is probably the most underrated playoff performer in the league since the lockout, but yes I absolutely want to still move him.

Players aren't just paid for what they bring to the table in the playoffs. Briere isn't worth his hit and cap wise it makes the most sense to deal him over anyone else. I'd hate to lose a Giroux or Carter because we don't have the cap space to re-sign them because we're stuck with Briere's contract instead.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Garbage Goal

I don't feel like individually responding to each of the TC's points so I'll just say that, no, I don't want Briere on this team. I'd move him the first chance I get. There's only around three or so other contracts league-wide that I wouldn't trade Briere for.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
If he waives, I have no problem moving him. If he doesn't though, it's tough for me because he has done whatever the team has asked and has always stepped up his game in the POs.

Maybe this is hypocritical of me, but I don't feel the same way about Hartnell because in my mind, he's earned his ticket out of town (if the Flyers decide to go that way, I don't think they should yet) with his own stupidity and poor play.

But a lot of Briere's shortcomings have been emphasized, instead of hidden, in the way the Flyers have used him over his 3 years here, even this year, maybe putting him on Carter's line was a matter of necessity, but it's clearly not a very good fit for him.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
In my opinion Briere is probably the most underrated playoff performer in the league since the lockout, but yes I absolutely want to still move him.

Players aren't just paid for what they bring to the table in the playoffs. Briere isn't worth his hit and cap wise it makes the most sense to deal him over anyone else. I'd hate to lose a Giroux or Carter because we don't have the cap space to re-sign them because we're stuck with Briere's contract instead.
Agreed. Respect the finish he shows in the playoffs, but you have the bad D coverage with that.

He clearly likes playing C, and he might have interested one of the offensively starved teams who need a playmaking, scoring C. E.g. but not necessarily Calgary, Nashville, Minny. He might fit in nicely on a team like LA too, as he won't have to be the whole show. Maybe even back to Buffalo?

We just can't afford his cap hit for what he brings. We can sign a $3MM winger and a starting goalie with his cap hit.

That's the new NHL. And Danny might just decide to stay put and we're stuck with him too.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

His contract still sucks for everything he brings to the table.. While he does rise in the playoffs the complete body of work doesn't justify his contract.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Garbage Goal

Assuming Briere were willing to waive his NTC or NMC (can't remember which) I don't think his contract would be as hard to move as everyone thinks. He puts up decent numbers, he can play wing or center, he's a good playoff performer, and although his cap hit is high he actually doesn't make much salary in the later years of the contract.

With that said, in a few years a buy-out might end up being a viable option as well.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 12:09 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

If Briere's cap hit were more like $650 rather than $6,500,000,000...(yes, you read that right, he makes billions), then I guess I'd be down with keeping him.

You know what...scratch that, reverse it. $650 is a little steep. Make it a cool 65 bucks and he can stay.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 02:04 AM
Crossbar Ping

Hes like 2m overpaid, is that his fault? no, blame management. Id keep him for sure as long as we can get rid of Hartnell for some real depth.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 07:49 AM
SilkyMitts

who in their right mind is going to want to pick up Hartnell from us?

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 08:19 AM
BringBackStevens

I think that Briere's playoff performance this season is being WAY overhyped. He's trying hard and finishing a bit which I respect, but the dude has been absolutely brutal defensively, turns the puck over worse than anyone on the team, and takes ill timed hooking penalties.

Get rid of him. I really dislike him as a player.

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:10 AM
McNasty

While I would shed no tears for Briere or Hartnell, they need to be able to get some type of value in return. Trading these guys just to get the cap space, just means we have to use FA again and we'll have to give a long term deal for more then we can afford. I would take Kovalchuk, but only on a deal for about what Briere makes stretched out. Other then that there isn't much value in FA.

I'de give Gagne Hartnell or Briere to get Umberger back. At least him and Richards had chemistry.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:12 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
I'de give Gagne Hartnell or Briere to get Umberger back. At least him and Richards had chemistry.
Briere for Umberger = instant fix to the 3rd line center problem:

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Gagne - Carter - Leino
Hartnell - Umberger - Powe
Carcillo - Betts - Laperriere

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:49 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Briere for Umberger = instant fix to the 3rd line center problem:

vanRiemsdyk - Richards - Giroux
Gagne - Carter - Leino
Hartnell - Umberger - Powe
Carcillo - Betts - Laperriere
It would also give them room to go out and get another top 9 forward. I like powe but hes a 4th liner on a team that has a good 4th line. I also would like to see Gagne with Carter, but put them with Giroux as a legimate 1st line.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:53 AM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
It would also give them room to go out and get another top 9 forward. I like powe but hes a 4th liner on a team that has a good 4th line.
Swap Powe and Carcillo, done. Give that extra money to the starting goalie.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
mikedifr

Always liked Danny and still do.....I dont care about his contract (I am not paying him) and he is 2nd on the team in scoring in the playoffs, cant complain about that....

That said, if we need to get rid of him to improve the team fine, but I want Hartnell and Carle shipped out long before Briere. I still think he and Giroux together for a year will put Briere back at ppg+ and closer to statistically earning his cap space. I would love to see JVR/Giroux/Briere together next year, assuming he is still here.

I would move Briere before Gagne.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
Always liked Danny and still do.....I dont care about his contract (I am not paying him) and he is 2nd on the team in scoring in the playoffs, cant complain about that....

That said, if we need to get rid of him to improve the team fine, but I want Hartnell and Carle shipped out long before Briere. I still think he and Giroux together for a year will put Briere back at ppg+ and closer to statistically earning his cap space. I would love to see JVR/Giroux/Briere together next year, assuming he is still here.

I would move Briere before Gagne.
He was only a ppg+ player once coming off a career year that also happened to be his contract year playing on one of the best offensive teams in the last decade. The Flyers bought into fools gold. He's not a ppg player.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote