HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rita for Gomez proposal?

Closed Thread

Old
09-29-2003, 07:49 AM
oilers9911

vCash: 500
Rita for Gomez proposal?

Maybe the Oilers also throw in Moreau or a 2nd pick.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:52 AM
Oiltalk

a 2nd would be needed for sure, although I doubt New Jersey would do this anyways. They probably don't want to change their team around to much right now.

Old
09-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Slats432

No way that NJ gives up a player that is a regular, was rookie of the year and scored 236 points in 314 games for that kind of puce offer.

That is abysmal.

Rita hasn't been good enough to make our team. What makes you think he is going to make the Stanley Cup Champions.

Comrie for Gomez is a whole lot closer.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:18 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
Rita hasn't been good enough to make our team. What makes you think he is going to make the Stanley Cup Champions.
As I recall Ray Whitney couldn't make the Oilers either. Since leaving he has scored 306 pts. in 356 games. Not being able to play in Edmonton is no indication whatever of your ability to play hockey.

Old
09-29-2003, 08:38 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar
As I recall Ray Whitney couldn't make the Oilers either. Since leaving he has scored 306 pts. in 356 games. Not being able to play in Edmonton is no indication whatever of your ability to play hockey.
Welcome to the boards first of all.

And Whitney could score before he became an Oiler, about .6 PPG average to be accurate. We can go through every team and find players that they gave up on that moved on to be players elsewhere.

We are talking very recent here, not 7 years ago. Rita has done nothing to prove himself in the NHL, He hasn't been able to stick for more than 13 NHL games at this point. He has top prospect value, but nothing more.

I am not saying that Rita won't be a player. I am not saying he doesn't have value, but to trade a player for Scott Gomez that you would likely get David Hale for is a poor offer.(And that one I would consider doing in a minute.)

Old
09-29-2003, 09:13 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Welcome to the boards first of all.

And Whitney could score before he became an Oiler, about .6 PPG average to be accurate. We can go through every team and find players that they gave up on that moved on to be players elsewhere.

We are talking very recent here, not 7 years ago. Rita has done nothing to prove himself in the NHL, He hasn't been able to stick for more than 13 NHL games at this point. He has top prospect value, but nothing more.

I am not saying that Rita won't be a player. I am not saying he doesn't have value, but to trade a player for Scott Gomez that you would likely get David Hale for is a poor offer.(And that one I would consider doing in a minute.)
Thanks for the welcome.
I watched Rita play a few times last year and hope he makes it. As for Comrie for Gomez it needs to be noted that Mikey has scored more goals in his career than Gomez and has played over 100 games less. We already have centers who score 10 - 15 goals per year, we don't need any more.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:16 AM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.
I watched Rita play a few times last year and hope he makes it. As for Comrie for Gomez it needs to be noted that Mikey has scored more goals in his career than Gomez and has played over 100 games less. We already have centers who score 10 - 15 goals per year, we don't need any more.
My thoughts exactly. Gomez doesn't fit into the current lineup anyways.

Old
09-29-2003, 09:59 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

I always thought that rita was a top notch scorer, since when has he dropped of fto everyones projected 3rd line winger. if we use him right, i think ha can be a major player.

Old
09-29-2003, 10:21 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome.
Gomez is the prototypical playmaking center. Where did we get to the point where we wanted a goal scoring center?

Fit into our lineup? I would think that Gomez between Isbister and Smyth would be a fine first line. York with Hemsky and Dvorak a fine second line. The bottom six with Horcoff and Reasoner as pivots works for me because for my money Horcoff is a very good 3rd line C that we are trying to push into the 2nd line C(Which is very possible that he can handle.)

I would love to see Rita make it and think that last year based on performance alone he made this team. But Gomez is not his trade value. Not even if you added a 2nd rounder.

Old
09-29-2003, 11:24 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Gomez is the prototypical playmaking center. Where did we get to the point where we wanted a goal scoring center?

Fit into our lineup? I would think that Gomez between Isbister and Smyth would be a fine first line. York with Hemsky and Dvorak a fine second line. The bottom six with Horcoff and Reasoner as pivots works for me because for my money Horcoff is a very good 3rd line C that we are trying to push into the 2nd line C(Which is very possible that he can handle.)

I would love to see Rita make it and think that last year based on performance alone he made this team. But Gomez is not his trade value. Not even if you added a 2nd rounder.
Unfortunately, the Oilers do not have enough goal scoring to be able to give up on a guy with a nose for the net... which is what Comrie is, in exchange for yet another play maker.

Old
09-29-2003, 02:57 PM
Dr_Gonz0

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers9911
Maybe the Oilers also throw in Moreau or a 2nd pick.
Ok, Moreau jsut got signed to a 4 yr exstension, he is not going anywhere. Personally, I would like to see KLowe bite the bullet and ship Comrie off with a possible 2nd or 1st rounder to acquire a top 3 defender(not a prospect either), and i think we will all be suprised once a deal goes down, Hope KLowe proves me right. Just my 2 cents .

Old
09-29-2003, 03:11 PM
USC Trojans
AD

Quote:
Hemsky is a playmaking winger...and Smyth is becoming more of a set-up guy as well. Thats why Comrie would've been a good fi between them. Otherwise we'll just get a whole bunch of pretty passes, but no one to put the biscuit in the basket.

Closed Thread