HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Finding what my onboard graphics/sound/modem are.

Old
05-07-2010, 09:08 AM

vCash: 500
Finding what my onboard graphics/sound/modem are.

Sorry for the second tech thread, i hope this will be the last.

As my laptop is currently stuck in purgatory between me and Medion Warranty repair, i thought i'd bring up the old PC from back home to my house so i can use that instead. It's a Packbard Bell desktop from about 4/5 years back, the stats aren't too bad (Pentium 4 2.93ghz, 1.5gb RAM) but it was virused up to high hell.

As it's so old, the discs and manuals are all elsewhere so i had little choice but to use an old XP disc knocking about and completely wipe the thing to start again. The problem now comes with updating everything, the graphics card, modem and the sound card in particular. Fortunately i have a wireless card with a CD around so i installed that to get on here. All three of those mentioned above are onboard, but they're not installed. I could download the drivers if i just knew what they were, but it's proving to be near impossible. Usually i'd just look in Device Manager, but that's just showing them as unknown.

Is there a way i can find out what they are without them having been previously installed?

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:30 AM
noobman

This is usually a matter of looking for clues.

Do you have the PC model number? Look it up and see what you can find.

Do you know the motherboard model number (should be printed on the mobo)? Go to the manufacturer site and look up the model number.

If all else fails, pop open the computer and examine some of the chips. The onboard GPU will almost certainly be Intel... my guess is that it's something between an 810 and an 865 onboard GPU (might predate "Intel Extreme Graphics").

Identifying your onboard sound by the chip is much more difficult.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Unless I'm mistaking what you're looking for, you could try doing the run -> dxdiag (direct x diagnostic tool) that should display the info. Maybe download cpu-z?

Last edited by Heaton: 05-07-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:53 AM
neofury*

Yeah it's annoying to find out what your onboard stuff is if you don't have a model # for your motherboard or computer. However there are some driver magician type software's (some) which aren't trojan infested and actually do the job.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Benny Lava

Just find the mobo make and model. Once you have that a quick Google search should turn up all the info you're looking for. The easiest way to find your mobo model # is probably just popping open your case and looking at it. Or you can also look up the model # of your computer and go from there.

Benny Lava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:12 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

dxdiag should do it. If not, you can check the Device Manager

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote