HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Why doesn't IIHF give the TV rights to ESPN or ESPN2?

Old
05-07-2010, 06:05 PM
Siberian

vCash: 500
Why doesn't IIHF give the TV rights to ESPN or ESPN2?

It doesn't make sense that IIHF doesn't work as hard as they can to enter the US market. I mean today's game in HD with good commentators woould be an unbelievable thing for American hockey fans. Does IIHF have some sort of agreement with NHL not to enter this market?

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Does ESPN want the tournament?

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Memphis The Pie

WHC is basically an European hockey event for European hockey fans.

Memphis The Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 06:35 PM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

i doubt ESPN wants this tourny. It would be awesome, the game wasnt even HD for me on universal sports

usahockey22flyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Levizk

Why doesn't Hormel give me discounted cans of spam when I go to the grocery store? Probably because I wouldn't touch it if they gave it to me for free. If ESPN had to pay production costs for the tournament while paying nothing to the IIHF for the rights they'd still lose money.

Levizk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 06:45 PM
wombat

Why would any US network want this tournament? It's a third rate competition going on while North American hockey fans are paying attention to the playoffs. Hfboards is obviously full of hockey fans but this forum is basically deserted.

If the hardcore hockey fans on here (myself included) don't even care, why would casual viewers? Just compare the US roster now to the one in the Olympics. No familiar names to casual viewers. Hell, some of those names hardcore hockey fans would have a hard time recognizing.

Watching countries third string teams play each other isn't too appealing to anyone but the hardcore North American fans.

wombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Inker

It's a third-rate tournament that is often played in a European timezone, therefore it's on at a bad time for a North American audience. It's hardly even must-watch TV for a hardcore fan, let alone a casual.

Inker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Kent

Without control of the tournament NA won't wrap it, sell it and make money off of it.

That's why a nascar race and the world cup in soccer have the same ratings in NA.

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:08 PM
KRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat View Post
If the hardcore hockey fans on here (myself included) don't even care, why would casual viewers? Just compare the US roster now to the one in the Olympics. No familiar names to casual viewers. Hell, some of those names hardcore hockey fans would have a hard time recognizing.
If you don't recognize the names on the US roster you are not a hardcore fan, you are barely a casual fan.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:18 PM
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!

actually the world cup is very popular in the United States. Alot of anticipation for this one, 30 some days away... and if the tourny ever comes to NY or a major market.. i think maybe it may show the gold or elimination games on nbc or something

usahockey22flyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:36 PM
Wham City

If the IIHF chose one day to host it in the United States I think you might see ESPN take a look at it.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:46 PM
Jonas1235

The NHL really needs to make a world cup of hockey. That way they can have a major tournament and put it where they want and decide who broadcasts it.

Europeans can have the World Championships.

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Little Potatoes

vCash: 2563
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM View Post
If you don't recognize the names on the US roster you are not a hardcore fan, you are barely a casual fan.
I've never even heard of one of our goalies.

Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 10:50 PM
wombat

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? You expect casual fans to know who David Leggio, Ben Bishop, and Chris Kreider are? Are you insane? Most people on these boards probably never even heard of them

Old
05-07-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
What's your definition of a casual fan?

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2010, 11:08 PM
wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
The NHL really needs to make a world cup of hockey. That way they can have a major tournament and put it where they want and decide who broadcasts it.

Europeans can have the World Championships.
Supposedly there will one 16 months from now.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2009/...hockey_return/

I expect the US will pay attention to that considering its actually a best on best competition (most important factor), will be played during favorable times, and their will be a positive hangover from the Olympics since casual fans will recognize US star players from Vancouver and I would expect the NHL would have the US and Canada play each other the first game to get some buzz like they did in the 2004 World Cup.

Considering the deal with Versus expires a few months before the World Cup it could serve as nice bargaining chip for the NHL.

Old
05-08-2010, 02:05 AM
Siberian

If american hockey fans wouldn't want to watch US play Germany, Finland, Norway, Czechs and Sweden then there is something seriously wrong with the state of hockey in the US.

Siberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:02 AM
wombat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian View Post
If american hockey fans wouldn't want to watch US play Germany, Finland, Norway, Czechs and Sweden then there is something seriously wrong with the state of hockey in the US.
Umm no there isn't. The vast majority of American hockey fans have no interest in watching their country's third and fourth string players (the majority of which who have zero shot at a World Cup or Olympic team) play the third and fourth string players of Germany, Finland, Norway, and Sweden. Especially considering that the playoffs are going on which is the pinnacle and most entertaining part of the year, with the best players in the world playing with intensity to win the Cup.

Old
05-08-2010, 04:31 AM
Dfire

Quote:
Umm no there isn't. The vast majority of American hockey fans have no interest in watching their country's third and fourth string players (the majority of which who have zero shot at a World Cup or Olympic team) play the third and fourth string players of Germany, Finland, Norway, and Sweden. Especially considering that the playoffs are going on which is the pinnacle and most entertaining part of the year, with the best players in the world playing with intensity to win the Cup.
I don't know if that's true . The rational of the networks is usually to avoid any risk whatsoever and their assessment of that risk might be somewhat timid. You're preemptively assuming that their assessment is right while in reality it's just a possibility. The problem is you'll never really know how many people would have watched it if it had been aired.

Last nights "record-win" made it to the front pages of the media here in Germany and I haven't read one bit about players missing. For the media and for viewers here it's simply: Germany beat USA. It doesn't matter that Ehrhoff, Ryan, Hecht, Miller, Seidenberg or Kane were missing because if you want good TV ratings you'll need to have people watching who don't know or don't care about those players anyways.

Dfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:42 AM
Grabovski
Skittles

vCash: 50
More viewers on TSN

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Kent

Quote:
Sad but true.

I bet the 1980 us olympic team barely had any viewers up until the last games.
Another example is how pen fans bash most of their own players except Crosby and Malkin (Pittsburgh fans are not the only ones that does this tho).
And the fact that only popular teams get a chance to play in the NHL is beyond me.

Hero or zero...

Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:38 PM
JackSlater

ESPN wouldn't show this tournament if it was given to them for free. There are several sports far more popular than hockey in the USA, and ESPN knows that they will get far better ratings showing those. The fact that this tournament features D team level players in some cases, and thus has literally no value as a best on best tournament, only makes matters worse. It's pretty unfortunate, since there are usually a few entertaining games.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 01:16 PM
joe89

Quote:
What the hell are you talking about? You expect casual fans to know who David Leggio, Ben Bishop, and Chris Kreider are? Are you insane? Most people on these boards probably never even heard of them
He answered to a person who said that hardcore fans wouldn't even recognize the players on the US roster. I'm not that into other countries players, but I can name each of these players' clubs and know a bit about the strengths of most of them. It's not like they are complete random hockey players, I'd label most of them players even American casual fans would regognize.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 01:20 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Give rights to ESPN?

They would need to pay ESPN to show it.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:05 PM
yarre

To be honest, I wasn't even aware that WCH had started up until I switched over and saw the Germany - USA game. I don't really give a **** about WCH anymore, it is truly embarrasing to have a "world champion" combined from losers that couldn't make far in the stanley cup playoffs.

yarre is offline   Reply With Quote