HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Team 990 - Expect 2-3 more Canadians teams within 3 years

Old
05-07-2010, 10:01 PM
HomaridII

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
All NHL owners are pissed on the whole Phoenix issue collapsing once again. They can either give the team away for nothing in Phoenix just to say they saved the franchise. Or, they can actually sell the team and make money by relocating it to a hockey starved market in Canada, be it in Winnipeg, Quebec City or Hamilton/Kitchener-Waterloo area.

If the NHL gives the Coyotes away for nothing, it will totally devalues the Thrashers, Preds, Panthers and any other struggling franchise that will be up for sale in the immediate future.

Bettman is hurting the NHL, and the owners pocket book.
Brunt and Mckeown talked about 30 minutes about this today .. quite interesting conversation.

Basically there are a LOT of struggling franchises out there, to mention a few:

Trashers, Preds, Panthers, Carolina, Islanders, Phoenix

They even mentioned that there is speculation that the NHL is also secretly running the Islanders and Wang left months ago.

There is no hockey market out there in the US right now prepared to take an NHL team. They mentioned that the Kansas City situation fell through and will not work anymore because of something to do with the lease option on the building, it has expired.

The NHL has very little choice but to move 2 or 3 of the franchises above to Canada, because short term, it is the only destinations that are ready to take a team and fill out a building night in night out.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Habs

I really don't see Winnipeg getting a team again.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 12:48 AM
bodybreak
We're Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
That would be amazing!

Phoenix to Winnipeg
Atlanta to Quebec City
Nashville to Hamilton
No Gary Bettman!

All cash in the bank!
Sort of what Shoalts is hinting at in an article published late Friday night on the Globe and Mail's website -- except with the Islanders replacing Nashville. Although, other than Phoenix to Winnipeg, he doesn't link Quebec and Hamilton to any specific cities. They arementioned in the article, along with the idea that the Thrashers and Islanders could head north.

The article says the NHL has drawn up a schedule with Winnipeg penciled in -- just in case the need arises. He also talks briefly about Quebec City's arena to be built, and that the NHL would rather expand than relocate to Hamilton.

Atlanta rumours have been around since June 2009, but Shoalts also mentions that the Islanders could be up for sale and relocation.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1561368/

bodybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
That would be amazing!

Phoenix to Winnipeg
Atlanta to Quebec City
Nashville to Hamilton
No Gary Bettman!

All cash in the bank!
Nashville has great fans and Hockey has grown from being an unknown sport in city.

If Preds move it would be a travesty , Division rivals they may be but there fans are nothing but class

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post

Trashers, Preds, Panthers, Carolina, Islanders, Phoenix.
Carolina is not struggling , The have stable ownership and a good fanbase
Preds just need stable ownership and have good fans (Floods are going to effect them though)

Thrashers are in one of US's largest media markets , I dont see them leaving

Islanders need an new arena and would be moved to Queens or another part of NYC not Canada

Panthers have an ironclad lease , They are going nowhere

Phoenix is the team most likely to move

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:12 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Nashville has great fans and Hockey has grown from being an unknown sport in city.

If Preds move it would be a travesty , Division rivals they may be but there fans are nothing but class
Just answer this for me: how many players ever to play professional hockey have came from Nashville? How many children are playing organized hockey in Nashville? How many arenas do you have in nashville?
Think about it...

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 02:45 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
Just answer this for me: how many players ever to play professional hockey have came from Nashville? How many children are playing organized hockey in Nashville? How many arenas do you have in nashville?
Think about it...
http://prosportsblogging.com/nhl-hoc...ners-are-born/

1 so far Blake Geoffrion

http://c-dh.net/articles/2010/01/21/...4predators.txt

Baby steps , Nashville didn't have any real hockey connections or history

The sport was foreign to the city

And there are 3 major hockey/skating arena's for public in Nashville (2 in city , 1 just outside in Franklin)

There are also 2 in Knoxville , 1 in Memphis , 2 in Northwest portion of state (Bristol + Greenville) and then there is 1 in Gatlinberg

Hockey is growing but it will take time

Old
05-08-2010, 02:53 AM
Habs Junkie

Quote:
http://c-dh.net/articles/2010/01/21/...4predators.txt

Baby steps , Nashville didn't have any real hockey connections or history

The sport was foreign to the city

And there are 3 major hockey/skating arena's for public in Nashville (2 in city , 1 just outside in Franklin)

There are also 2 in Knoxville , 1 in Memphis , 2 in Northwest portion of state (Bristol + Greenville) and then there is 1 in Gatlinberg

Hockey is growing but it will take time
Exactly my point. The NHL should not be in any city that is "growing" it's hockey program. I can name you 10 other cities that have established minor hockey programs that continuousely produce pro hockey players that deserve to have a team over Nashville.
6 rinks by the way? Holy ****. Worse than I thought.

Habs Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:04 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
Exactly my point. The NHL should not be in any city that is "growing" it's hockey program. I can name you 10 other cities that have established minor hockey programs that continuousely produce pro hockey players that deserve to have a team over Nashville.
6 rinks by the way? Holy ****. Worse than I thought.
Growing hockey = Better for game

This is Tennesee we are talking about , They have made tremendous progress in creating interest in hockey from ground up

Old
05-08-2010, 03:22 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumhabs View Post
I am pretty sure they already said they would not be againts the return of a team in Québec.
On the contrary, I think they'd support 110%. Not only would it revive an incredibly rivalry, it also gives the NHL more Canadian teams and I doubt they're against that.

I don't think they are worried about losing any type of popularity in Mtl. I think it would get fans even more into it.

They really have no reason to be against such a move. Sure, some old Qc fans might go back to cheering for their team, but I don't think Mtl would lose any money whatsoever over it.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 06:10 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
though if buttman is still around if any teams relocates , its going to be to kansas/vegas
I think, if forced to make the choice, the league would rather relocate teams to Winnipeg & QC rather than those two spots. It would leave those two cities open as expansion destinations, meaning soak some prospective new owner for expansion fees, fees the likes of which they'd never get out of Win/QC.

The reverse logic applies to southern Ontario. They'll never get a relocated team because the expansion fees plus Leafs payoff would be huge.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:13 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Growing hockey = Better for game

This is Tennesee we are talking about , They have made tremendous progress in creating interest in hockey from ground up
While it may be true, and I dont know much about Nashville dont you think Owners would go for quick money rather than an area that may take years to become a true hockey market...

Last edited by ECWHSWI: 05-08-2010 at 07:34 AM.
ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Brunt and Mckeown talked about 30 minutes about this today .. quite interesting conversation.

Basically there are a LOT of struggling franchises out there, to mention a few:

Trashers, Preds, Panthers, Carolina, Islanders, Phoenix
If the NHL ever has to move the Islanders out of New York, and rename the team in a new market, that would be a horrible disgrace to the NHL.

We're talking about a franchise that once had a Stanley Cup dynasty, for crying out loud.

The Phoenix experiment clearly hasn't worked, though, and sending the Jets back to Winnipeg seems rather fitting to me.

Generally speaking, Bettman has been an abysmal failure at selling the game south of the 49th parallel.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:34 PM
mrCoffea*

I'm against teams in smaller Canadian cities

Hockey doesn't need to grow in Canada, and smaller cities have a team close enough to them to root for.
Cities like Winnipeg, Hamilton and Quebec are BORING, they don't deserve a pro franchise. Frankly, I don't think cities like Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa do either, but I'm willing to live with them for now

I'd rather the NHL gain more legitimacy in the states that way the Montreal Canadiens becomes a much bigger "household" franchise over there.

If we start adding teams in Canada, the NHL loses legitimacy in my eyes

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I can't believe something Stephen Brunt said is being seriously discussed.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:40 PM
HabsIn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCoffea View Post

Hockey doesn't need to grow in Canada, and smaller cities have a team close enough to them to root for.
Cities like Winnipeg, Hamilton and Quebec are BORING, they don't deserve a pro franchise. Frankly, I don't think cities like Edmonton, Calgary and Ottawa do either, but I'm willing to live with them for now

I'd rather the NHL gain more legitimacy in the states that way the Montreal Canadiens becomes a much bigger "household" franchise over there.

I didnt know Gary Bettman posted on HFboards... How many Pps will Crosby get by whining tonight sir?

HabsIn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:42 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
As interesting as this could be, I am not sure if it would happen that fast. I think it can happen but certainly not that fast. Quebec needs an arena and Winnipeg needs to add 4,000 seats to theirs to be able to support an NHL team.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:46 PM
totalrecall

Good news keep on pouring.

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 03:58 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recchi29 View Post
I didnt know Gary Bettman posted on HFboards... How many Pps will Crosby get by whining tonight sir?
I'm not Gary Bettman, I come from one of the only 3 real cities in Canada, Montreal

Winnipeg is a joke, as a city it's horrible. It's boring, it's ugly, it's in the middle of nowhere, no one in the world knows anything about Winnipeg. Giving Winnipeg a franchise devalues the image of the NHL to the outsider looking in

Canada doesn't need to "grow" Hockey. People in cities without franchises are going to watch Hockey regardless. I'd rather another success story of building a hockey scene in the San Jose's and Dallas' of the world than put a team in a city that once lost it because it was too poor and hasn't shown anything since then to make us believe they deserve the franchise again

It's easy for people from Winnipeg to say they were amazing fans, but they didn't even sell out all of their games. You give the team to Winnipeg or another small Canadian city, it's just a matter of time before they risk losing it again. All it takes is for the American economy to be strong again really...

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:07 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:

Wow....just don't know what to say about such an ignorant post.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
FF de Mars

I'd like it if Québec city wasn't in the same division as the Canadiens, then I could root for both teams. If they are in the same division and play each other 8 times or something a year, I won't be able to root for the Nordiques.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Ask the russians if they think Quebec is ''boring'' after the world championship.

Seriously GTFO

(oh and tell my why smaller Canadian cities deserve an NHL team less than a smaller American city such as, say, Colombus)

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:31 PM

I have always loved that the NHL has good representation between the US and Canada. But it has gotten out of balance, and I don't think there is any question that neither Winnipeg or Quebec would have had to move under the new economics of the NHL. So I would like to see those cities have teams again -- and Hamilton if it can be worked out. I've always thought 3 in the NYC area was a stretch (and really it kinda 4 for a while with the Whalers pulling fans from southwestern CT.

Anyway, I think the league is struggling between two interests: immediate profitability/economic viability and the desire to grow the sport in the states (for the purpose of generating TV revenue). From what I have read, the NHL gets something like 3% of its revenue from TV where the NFL gets 66% of its revenue from TV.

Could the NHL get to 66%? No. But could it get much much more than what it does now? Yes. But for that to happen, the NHL needs a presence in as many US cities as possible.

If the NHL bails on Atlanta, Phoenix and Nashville, it can kiss any sort of lucrative network contract goodbye. In the long term, it's better for the league to take a bath on some of these teams to build lasting interest in the sport in the states.

The other thing to consider is that the MLS is coming into its own and expanding. Despite its name I don't think it is quite "major league" yet. But it's close and NHL ownership might be looking at the growth of the MLS as a threat to its status as the fourth most popular league in North America (not this year or even this decade, but on the long term it has to be something an owner would think about).

So all that said, what I think is going to happen is this. Two team expansion (though not within the next three years) to add Winnipeg and Quebec back into the league and one team (probably the Islanders since it wouldn't really mean the NHL is 'losing' a market) moves to Hamilton and the NHL realigns into four eight team divisions to reduce/eliminate the situation where an eastern time zone team is playing so many games on the west coast.

EDIT: I meant to add that I think over the long term I think markets like Atlanta and Phoenix are workable due to the corporate populations and the number of northerns moving south.

66871 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:32 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
I'm not Gary Bettman, I come from one of the only 3 real cities in Canada, Montreal

Winnipeg is a joke, as a city it's horrible. It's boring, it's ugly, it's in the middle of nowhere, no one in the world knows anything about Winnipeg. Giving Winnipeg a franchise devalues the image of the NHL to the outsider looking in

Canada doesn't need to "grow" Hockey. People in cities without franchises are going to watch Hockey regardless. I'd rather another success story of building a hockey scene in the San Jose's and Dallas' of the world than put a team in a city that once lost it because it was too poor and hasn't shown anything since then to make us believe they deserve the franchise again

It's easy for people from Winnipeg to say they were amazing fans, but they didn't even sell out all of their games. You give the team to Winnipeg or another small Canadian city, it's just a matter of time before they risk losing it again. All it takes is for the American economy to be strong again really...
Congratulations !

Your post has been nominated as the ''Dumbest Post Of The Year'' Award.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Canada doesn't need to "grow" Hockey. People in cities without franchises are going to watch Hockey regardless.
This is the argument that irritates the most when Americans talk about how we shouldn't get more Canadian teams. And if I were better at writing my thoughts down in the form of a text I would explain myself

Something about that being an extremely selfish comment, not all Canadians having access to live NHL, ticket sales being more important then TV ratings, revenues going up and so on.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2010, 04:42 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Go jets go!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote