HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lilja

Closed Thread

Old
02-17-2005, 01:06 PM
quartermaster29

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by predperson
QM: Maybe I'm just "old fashioned" but IMO those close friends of yours have "sham" marriages.
I'm not arguing that.

Quote:
I would go so far as to bet you $100 that those marriages won't last.
I'm actually willing to take you up on that bet. But we'd need to establish deadlines and the like. Also you'd need to know more about them personally. They are deeply in love with each other but they tend to seperate physical (sex) from emotional. They don't consider sex love. Love is deeper and sex is purely physical.

Quote:
I cannot, in my wildest dreams, imagine being OK with my husband having sex with others. Having sex with others is plain-ole adultery. You {not you literally, but society} can package it with pretty names like "open marriage" and "swinging" to disguise it but it's still adultery.
Not arguing that either. I agree with it.

Quote:
The real victim in all of this is Lilja's wife and child (that applies to the other players, if they are married).
As for wife: I can agree... unless they feel as my friends do. How can she be a victim if she is completely amenable to the concept of him taking a willing partner?

As for kids... I believe they are victims, but only because they are subjected to the openness of their parents relationship. This is where my personal views conflict with the situation. I don't believe children should be forced, in essence, to accept a lifestyle that by all accounts is a choice. They aren't given the choice to accept an "open marriage". They are forced to accept it. That's my opinion of course.

In my friends' case, they took medical steps to ensure they would never have children. Not sure if that makes a difference in any case, except it removes the aspect of an unintended victim in the relationship.

Old
02-17-2005, 01:21 PM
muddycreek*

Interesting. Very interesting BUT ALL religious concepts based on the Bible. Perhaps he is not Christian. Then, what is adultry? We are foring our Christian beliefs on others here guys and gals and hockey pals. The organization has every right in Tennessee to terminate him at will UNLESS his contcat says otherwise. Let's not get religion/Americanisum involved here. It's a seperation of Church and state sort of thing in my opinion. What you are describing is adultry in my book but them I'm a Christian and an citizen of the United States. I shall not force my beliefs on others....convince them otherwise...yes...force them NO! Mamma and daddy did not raise me that way.

Old
02-17-2005, 01:33 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Interesting. Very interesting BUT ALL religious concepts based on the Bible. Perhaps he is not Christian. Then, what is adultry? We are foring our Christian beliefs on others here guys and gals and hockey pals. The organization has every right in Tennessee to terminate him at will UNLESS his contcat says otherwise. Let's not get religion/Americanisum involved here. It's a seperation of Church and state sort of thing in my opinion. What you are describing is adultry in my book but them I'm a Christian and an citizen of the United States. I shall not force my beliefs on others....convince them otherwise...yes...force them NO! Mamma and daddy did not raise me that way.
Huh? If they aren't going to fire Arkhipov for driving drunk, or Heatley (in Atlanta) for the accident (and his even resulted in a death), why fire Lilja from NAS for this? As near as I can tell, he was only accused of sexual assault, not actually charged with it; and he only admitted to consensual copulation. Not a crime. Adultery? To me, yes. To most? Surely. But this conversation had nothing to do with Christianity.

Most likely in his contract in Sweden there was some clause that allows the team to kick to the curb athletes who exihibit this kind of behaviour. I am willing to bet that the NHL, NBA, NFL, and MLB do not have such clauses in their contracts. Why? Because almost every player could be fired for being simply accused. My proof? Please. Shall I actually link all the players that have been in trouble with the law and are STILL playing?

Old
02-17-2005, 02:57 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Hey, why don't we let lilja stay on, but make him wear a big red "A." That way he could also be our assistant captain.

Being serious, let's say my boss commits adultery. If the woman is willing and there are no assault, sex offender charges, or whatever then he's not going to lose his job. That would be discrimmination. What he does in his free time has no bearing on what he does in the work place (within reason of course). Sure, people might look down on him or gossip about him, but adultery is his business and not his bosses or his co-workers. If he was a rapist or sexual offender, well, that's a different story, but lilja appears to have had sex with a woman who gave consent.

Old
02-18-2005, 07:58 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

point is that's not what the woman is saying.

If it were me. I could lose my job, especially after it hit the media.

Old
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
muddycreek*

Adultry is a bibical term...A CHRISTIAN bibical term. having consentual sex with someone other than your wife is NOT necessarily taboo anywhere except Christian countries and not even all of them. SO, IT IS a Christian argument.

Old
02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
quartermaster29

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek
Adultry is a bibical term...A CHRISTIAN bibical term. having consentual sex with someone other than your wife is NOT necessarily taboo anywhere except Christian countries and not even all of them. SO, IT IS a Christian argument.
I'm pretty sure Muslims and Hebrews also look down on adultery, too.

And still... if they do not subscribe to the Judeo-Christian, Judaistic, or Islamic faiths, then it can't be adultery, can it?

Old
02-18-2005, 03:39 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
point is that's not what the woman is saying.

If it were me. I could lose my job, especially after it hit the media.
innoncent until proven guilty. if you were fired based on allegations that would be discrimmination and grounds for a possible suit.

Old
03-03-2005, 06:23 PM
predperson

Prosecutor to reopen investigation against NHLers
Quote:
A special prosecutor plans to reopen an investigation into allegations that three Swedish NHL players sexually exploited a 22-year-old woman in their hotel room last month.
Quote:
She said the players are not suspected of ****, but of sexual exploitation, which is a lesser form of sex crime under Swedish law
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/New...948652-ap.html

Old
03-03-2005, 06:26 PM
predperson

that's weird....this board allows a lot of "interesting words" but doesn't allow that one.........

Old
03-04-2005, 01:35 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang
Actually you have it backwards you can only fire someone if you have a decency clause in a contract otherwise you better find a BS reason that will stand up in a lawsuit.

Okay so suspend him without pay or trade him that would be legal but imo silly. What if his wife is okay with this behavior? You have no idea hence the reason I say it is none of our business.

As for the freedom issue; what ever. Say what you want but your idea of forcing your ideals on someone else doesn’t compare to a freedom of speech issue.

This kind of thing has been happening since the beginning of man so don’t try to blame it on the “moral decay” of our society. The only reason you hear more about it is because of the technology that is available. I mean do you really think that 20 years ago we would be hearing about the sexcapades of a hockey player on the other side of the globe? No.

Now that I have had time to reflect on the situation, I am back again. Sorry for the absence in this thread.

And no, I don't have it backwards. You are misunderstanding my rationale here. I don't want to fire him. But a with pay suspension could certainly be in order. He probably wouldn't mind getting a nice vacation out of it. That, or I would trade him. That is if I felt that was the right course of action. I am still up in the air, as I was previously, and I would have to speak to Lilja and the team about the matter.

Call me backwoods, but Lilja represents the Nashville Predators. And while he and his wife may be content with his actions, the organization as a whole may not want to be associated with this. The beauty of freedom of speech is that you have the ability to do much of what you want. But so do I. It is very much a two way street, and if he has the legal rights and abilities to sleep with other women, he can exercise that right. That is freedom. If I have the legal rights and abilities to judge and punish him for that, that too is freedom. If I deem his actions as harmful to the organization, I should have the ability to remedy the situation as long as my actions do not violate any contractual laws or obligations. If I didn't have that ability, then that would be an infringement on my freedom as his employer.

And I have the ability to enforce my ideals, in a small way, on those who work for me. It happens in your job all the time. As long as this ideal isn't governmentally protected, it is generally acceptable and done quite frequently. Work ethic is an ideal. Honesty is an ideal. If you work for a solid firm, they are going to enforce those ideals upon you. A lack of work eithic causes problems for the organization both on an internal and external level. A lack of honesty causes problems on both an internal and external level. Adultery, if public, can cause serious harm to an organization on both levels as well.

I don't blame his adultery on the moral decay of society. I blame our utter lack of concern for adultery and many other wholely unethical acts (that are legal) as a decay of society.

Old
03-04-2005, 01:52 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
innoncent until proven guilty. if you were fired based on allegations that would be discrimmination and grounds for a possible suit.
Not necessarily. If Triggr has anything in writing that frowns upon unethical behaviour, then he can be terminated regardless of the outcome of the case. Sometimes, as is the case with Belmont (or at least those faculty that I know of) there is no actual "morality" clause but rather a phrase that states something to the effect of, "you will uphold the values and ideals of Belmont University at all times." Several faculty members at the University have been dismissed for having extra-marital affairs. Some involving students, but others outside the university.

Old
03-04-2005, 03:45 PM
predperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Several faculty members at the University have been dismissed for having extra-marital affairs. Some involving students, but others outside the university.
Really? Do tell Smokey!! I've been on the faculty there since 1995 and had not heard that....but we're pretty isolated in my department and no one every tells me anything!

Old
03-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Pred303

predperson had an affair with a student and didn't get kicked off the faculty?....wow the things you learn checking these boards

Old
03-04-2005, 04:12 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Really? Do tell Smokey!! I've been on the faculty there since 1995 and had not heard that....but we're pretty isolated in my department and no one every tells me anything!
Check your PM box.

Old
03-04-2005, 04:24 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck
not in Tennessee. They can fire me for wearing the wrong color shirt.

Old
03-04-2005, 04:58 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
not in Tennessee. They can fire me for wearing the wrong color shirt.
They do have that right but you also have the right to call the NLRB, then they better have thier ducks in a row.

Closed Thread